MK HD Kollection

Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

The countdown may have nothing to do with the MK Collection. And they already said we'd be getting things during the day today, BEFORE the countdown expires.
i know it may not be related to MK HD Kollection but if release date is suposed to be around november 17th i think it's time for an official announcement

I will buy this MK HD Arcade Kollection even if the games where direct ports with no redone HD or upscaling, just as long as they have Online Play. So if their upscaled or in true high res HD, then that's just a bonus for me. If it contains a Demo of MK(2011) then that's just another BONUS. So really I cant loose here, We should get an official announcement soon. But I can assure you that what TRMK posts as news is in fact true, When Patrick McCarron says that its confirmed by inside sources, count it on being 100% TRUE!

i'm hoping for something like this for the hd remake.
Mortal_Kombat_2_HD_by_xXLightsourceXx.jpg

Let's not forget costumes, props, and all otherworldly aspects of the games. Remember HD is DETAIL, which means you can't get away with claymation shokans, budget tarkatan masks, painted metal arms and so forth. It didn't matter back when the games were first made because at that tiny resolution, who is going to notice? Making a game like that today, you need a few things to make it look good.

Hello & welcome to this board,

I can only agree with one point there, the budget. I doubt they are going to put a huge budget in it. Now concerning the props and costumes they already have it all. I only heard about Rayden's hat being destroyed due to Carlos's multiple falls (but again a chinese hat shouldn't be that expensive). Jax's arms are still going to be painted I believe. Today Photoshop's pros can do marvels with it (and it only take 10mn/image if you know what you're doing). Baraka's head don't need to be more HD then it is on this LINK.
Who knows maybe we'll get 2D HD stages made in 3D.

I will buy this MK HD Arcade Kollection even if the games where direct ports with no redone HD or upscaling, just as long as they have Online Play. So if their upscaled or in true high res HD, then that's just a bonus for me. If it contains a Demo of MK(2011) then that's just another BONUS. So really I cant loose here, We should get an official announcement soon. But I can assure you that what TRMK posts as news is in fact true, When Patrick McCarron says that its confirmed by inside sources, count it on being 100% TRUE!

^^^
This.
Exactly.

As far as the footage in the Pit Bio goes:
And the footage shown on the Pit Bio, looked like the original Genesis / SNES port footage.
The sounds seem to have come, courtesy of MK9.

If it's said to be done with TODAY'S HD film technology, then that footage is NOT of the HD Kollection.

The thing about ALL this talk and speculation about the MK HD Collection is just the fact that we have so little that is official.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm just going to go ahead and say the OP is wrong. It's confirmed that new actors had been filmed. No one is saying that the end product is going to be well executed, but we are going to say that it will be in fact, HIGH DEFINITION. There's no reason to refilm new actors and then just upscale the old sprites. That's just plain silly.

Hello & welcome to this board,

I can only agree with one point there, the budget. I doubt they are going to put a huge budget in it. Now concerning the props and costumes they already have it all. I only heard about Rayden's hat being destroyed due to Carlos's multiple falls (but again a chinese hat shouldn't be that expensive). Jax's arms are still going to be painted I believe. Today Photoshop's pros can do marvels with it (and it only take 10mn/image if you know what you're doing). Baraka's head don't need to be more HD then it is on this LINK.
Who knows maybe we'll get 2D HD stages made in 3D.

Thanks for the welcome. I agree Photoshop can do marvels, and if the game was being made in the way it's been stated, I believe it'd need to. Even looking at the fan-made image above your post, it's exactly the degree of stylization I was talking about; so processed, it almost looks illustrated. The aesthetic quality of the game all depends on the developer's artistic vision and budget. If they simply updated the sprites with HD versions of new actors in original costumes, 2D backgrounds made from props (or entirely CG like you said) and minimal editing, I have no doubt the results would be amateurish at best. Games with digitized sprites are difficult to pull off. Even the older generation games had problems with this, Street Fighter the Movie, Shinobi X are a couple of them (MK was the exception). Now imagine this problem in HD. 3D models have come so far in terms of realism, and if this rumour is indeed true, I wonder why they didn't take that route instead. The only reason I can think of is to retain the games' classic style, but I'm firm in my belief that digitized sprites in HD without an artistic overhaul would look similar to a fan-made MK green screen video. Ironically, the much needed editing wouldn't uphold the classic style either. There's no win/win.

Here's a regular photo of Baraka's mask by the way, in need of a photoshop marvel IMO
mk2-behind50.jpg

^^^
This.
Exactly.

As far as the footage in the Pit Bio goes:
And the footage shown on the Pit Bio, looked like the original Genesis / SNES port footage.
The sounds seem to have come, courtesy of MK9.

If it's said to be done with TODAY'S HD film technology, then that footage is NOT of the HD Kollection.

Visually, the footage is actually arcade perfect. Make the necessary comparisons and you'll agree

Last edited by a moderator:

Visually, the footage is actually arcade perfect. Make the necessary comparisons and you'll agree

My point is that it still looks the like the original arcade footage.
For the claim of this being an HD Kollection, this looks exactly like the original MK 1, 2 and UMK 3 games.

It really doesn't look anything has been done to the originals, in the Pit Bio video.
Also, they included Shaolin Monks clips in the video.

How do you know that someone didn't just copy / paste all of the MK 1, MK II, UMK 3 and Shaolin Monks footage together, for the Pit Bio video?

I'm just going to go ahead and say the OP is wrong. It's confirmed that new actors had been filmed. No one is saying that the end product is going to be well executed, but we are going to say that it will be in fact, HIGH DEFINITION. There's no reason to refilm new actors and then just upscale the old sprites. That's just plain silly.

You're entitled to your opinion, and while I do trust the news on this site, I think I've got good enough reason to have my doubts about this. I'm definitely not the only one. It's true that no one is saying the game will be well executed, but that's what everyone's hoping for, right? Besides, why would WB even bother if it wasn't going to be well made? Obvious answer money, but at the same time if they're aiming for a new golden age of MK, they wouldn't want to disappoint all the die-hards that are hanging out for this. Everything they've done thus far for MK has been amazing. Granted it comes with the MK9 demo, but for its price, there's bound to be some animosity if the whole package doesn't hold up. Most importantly, and I may need to repeat myself on this, but the refilmed actors is just ONE part of the re-mastering. It's how everything fits together that makes me a skeptic.

TC, I understand what ur saying. And welcome. But thinking that it will look bad isn't correct. You're assuming that the visual quality will be that of real-life. And while hi-definition is close...it's still not real life. Remember, they are still going to be pixels when it all comes down to it. Unless they somehow make it all vector in which there would be no pixelation whatsoever. But assuming that they do some editing to the final digitized actors, they will be pixels. Very very beautiful pixels, but still pixels. And believe it or not, there are MANY tricks you can do to fix up the little problems you're noticing, and at little to no cost whatsoever. Jax's arms, Baraka's mask...I can think of ways right now to fix those issues just through photoshop alone. Imagine if they decided to just going to the local dollar mart and purchasing a few items, in addition to re-editing in photoshop. I dont expect you to have all the tech savvy know-how, you had to have went to school for this stuff, but the idea that making this game look good would be budget-breaking is furthest from the truth.

My point is that it still looks the like the original arcade footage.
For the claim of this being an HD Kollection, this looks exactly like the original MK 1, 2 and UMK 3 games.

It really doesn't look anything has been done to the originals, in the Pit Bio video.
Also, they included Shaolin Monks clips in the video.

How do you know that someone didn't just copy / paste all of the MK 1, MK II, UMK 3 and Shaolin Monks footage together, for the Pit Bio video?

I'm not saying it's 100% that footage is what we're getting. I just have a feeling that it's likely the case or something similar, as I doubt a true remake of the games is happening. I found it odd that not too long after the box art was leaked or *leaked*, an official environment bio clip was posted with arcade perfect footage of the classic games, containing for whatever reason, MK 2011 audio. There's a few possible reasons for it that don't just imply it's the Kollection, but honestly, what do you think is more likely? A remake that's technically difficult to make (well), has received no promotion (or even confirmation) to prepare for sales to make up for time and money invested, as opposed to an upscaled HD all in 1 of classic games everyone already knows and loves, with the added bonus of the new MK demo? The latter sounds like a smarter business move. Sell a tried-and-true product that's cheap to manufacture in order to promote your latest and greatest. And seriously, WB wouldn't be the first to pull the HD (only upscaled) move. But again, I want to be wrong.

Hello,

i'm with people who doubt that remake 3 new MK with new actors would cost too much money, and would be too difficult to make ! The original trilogy is very important for a lot of fans, but just appears as "oldies" for most players, for whom a good "fighting game" is Tekken 6 or SSF4.
But i also trust TRMK, and i want to be wrong, too :)

Anyway, i'll be VERY happy with an upscaled MK1 or an UMK3, provided i can play online with them !

The strange part is that this Kollection is supposed to be sold in 1 month, and that we still have nothing OFFICIAL ! And look, they even took away the art box from the french website, where we could see the mention about "Demo of the next Mortal Kombat" !! Strange, no ??

TC, I understand what ur saying. And welcome. But thinking that it will look bad isn't correct. You're assuming that the visual quality will be that of real-life. And while hi-definition is close...it's still not real life. Remember, they are still going to be pixels when it all comes down to it. Unless they somehow make it all vector in which there would be no pixelation whatsoever. But assuming that they do some editing to the final digitized actors, they will be pixels. Very very beautiful pixels, but still pixels. And believe it or not, there are MANY tricks you can do to fix up the little problems you're noticing, and at little to no cost whatsoever. Jax's arms, Baraka's mask...I can think of ways right now to fix those issues just through photoshop alone. Imagine if they decided to just going to the local dollar mart and purchasing a few items, in addition to re-editing in photoshop. I dont expect you to have all the tech savvy know-how, you had to have went to school for this stuff, but the idea that making this game look good would be budget-breaking is furthest from the truth.

I admit you do have a point. It's difficult to imagine, but I won't deny that I could be mistaken for thinking it's budget-breaking. I just assume all modern games cost a considerable amount to make.

Last edited:

I find it interesting how someone can say it isn't what we hoped for without even playing it.

There are movies out there that have had awful trailers and when you actually see the movie, it's utterly amazing. There are also movies out there that have awesome looking trailers but the movie sucks balls.

You can't really judge it just by seeing a few clips. Play the game, take in the features, and then judge it.

I'm looking forward to this Kollection, but if it gets delayed after the release of MK 9, then I'll wait until it reaches the $10 to $15 price range.

The strange part is that this Kollection is supposed to be sold in 1 month, and that we still have nothing OFFICIAL ! And look, they even took away the art box from the french website, where we could see the mention about "Demo of the next Mortal Kombat" !! Strange, no ??

Yes, alot of strange things are happening concerning MK these times ... well since yesterday actually. Too much hidden stuff is starting to be bothersome. But patience is a vertue (old greek saying) we'll wait & see.

Thinking back the other kollection of mkd, mka, and mksm.. was that collection announced or just released?