MK HD Kollection

Re: MK Arcade Collection in November (?)

MK4 would be the easiest to "remake" in HD, and it wasn't a bad game so hopefully it's in there. Those are tentative details of the collection so I very much doubt it's a PS3 exclusive. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Well , we are talking about HD now , I think that it is harder to remake a 3D designs into an HD version of em than work on old school imaging and drawn backgrounds .

Last time I heard MK4 isn't included .

Awww. MK4/MKG was the first MK game I became good at. But still, I am excited to see how the classic games will be like in HD. :)

fyi, there isnt any reason to actually put MK3 on anything. Its obsolete. UMK3 is MK3 Revision 3.3 or MK3 Rv. 4.0 (i have UMk3 Rv1.3 lol) anywho, putting MK3 anywhere is about like putting MK2 Rv1.2 or MK1 Rv3 or something of that nature.

But i'd love to see the time and effort put into putting MK4 and The Grid (full ARCADE ports) either on disc or XBL.

One thing I miss about MK3: the variety of stages (UMK3 stages loop so often) and the lack of an unstoppable sub-boss/last boss combo.

I think that it is harder to remake a 3D designs into an HD version of em than work on old school imaging and drawn backgrounds .

You got the other way around. With realtime 3D assets, they can bump up the textures' resolution, implement better filtering, better AA and increase the opaque aka rendering resolution. The GOW collection was remade on PS3 within 3 months, and they were two games. Those were proper ports too, and older games can be emulated well in the hands of good programmers. There are plenty of emulation examples out there too. You can get old PS1 or Saturn games to run in HD nowadays.

With sprites, everything needs to be redone for higher resolutions. SSFII HDR was redone completely for example.

And yes, if you notice the date of the topic, this was prior to Pat informing us of the nature of the package. MK4 will likely not be included.

One thing I miss about MK3: the variety of stages (UMK3 stages loop so often) and the lack of an unstoppable sub-boss/last boss combo.

yea the extra characters and new stages meant they had to remove some stages.

hopefully they will include ALL the MK3/UMk3 stages in the HD remake.

and if they ever HD Remix MKT i hope every single MK1-UMk3 stage is in it, even the N64 MKT Pit with the stars lol

Were any stages actually removed completely though? I didn't think that was the case. Obviously the looping problem makes it difficult to tell, which they absolutely must fix for this (as well as Human Smoke being tied to the blue portal stage), but I'm fairly certain that all the MK3 stages were still there. I believe it was only the 16-bit versions that cut those out.

Were any stages actually removed completely though? I didn't think that was the case. Obviously the looping problem makes it difficult to tell, which they absolutely must fix for this (as well as Human Smoke being tied to the blue portal stage), but I'm fairly certain that all the MK3 stages were still there. I believe it was only the 16-bit versions that cut those out.

The Bank does not exist in UMK3. The code still works but is used with a UMK3 intro'd stage. I think there is one more too. let me double check

Last edited:

The red portal. It was a bit more detailed than the blue one in UMK3.

EDIT: Heh, I remember both the N64 and SNES dead pool stages having the red outworld sky backdrop behind the vents, which were apparently windows there. I don't remember any other changes in addition to the stars in the pit. The courtyard was more faithful to the original than the PS/PC/SS nighttime version.

Last edited:

You got the other way around. With realtime 3D assets, they can bump up the textures' resolution, implement better filtering, better AA and increase the opaque aka rendering resolution. The GOW collection was remade on PS3 within 3 months, and they were two games. Those were proper ports too, and older games can be emulated well in the hands of good programmers. There are plenty of emulation examples out there too. You can get old PS1 or Saturn games to run in HD nowadays.

With sprites, everything needs to be redone for higher resolutions. SSFII HDR was redone completely for example.

And yes, if you notice the date of the topic, this was prior to Pat informing us of the nature of the package. MK4 will likely not be included.

Then what , the GOW collection didn't look as good as EarthWorm Jim . Granted it may be the fact that EarthWorm was just more oudated in the first place and that made it look like better than the GOW collection . I think that the 2D and sprites HD upgrading would look better than all the outdated 3D games in general .

Besides GOW was in fact a last gen game while MK4 is something released more than a decade ago .

The red portal. It was a bit more detailed than the blue one in UMK3.

EDIT: Heh, I remember both the N64 and SNES dead pool stages having the red outworld sky backdrop behind the vents, which were apparently windows there. I don't remember any other changes in addition to the stars in the pit. The courtyard was more faithful to the original than the PS/PC/SS nighttime version.

yea i edited in the red/orange portal in MK3 but i couldnt remember if it was a home port or arcade stage. Home ports barely exist in my world so i dont count them for the most part. But the Blue Portal is def a UMK3 intro'd stage

Fair enough, but my point wasn't regarding what would look better, just the type of work and ease. 3D games are much easier to enhance or even remake than 2D ones for the reasons I mentioned. Everything had to be re-drawn for SSFIIT HDR and they're getting new actors for this MK collection.

My take is that graphics don't really sell classics and any enhancements are nice perks. We have the 1993 Doom on XBLA for example among other straight forward releases like UMK3, MKII and SFII Turbo. MKII is still a top selling game on PSN.

Oh and Earthworm Jim was a full fledged remake with some pre-renderend assets, while the GOW games were enhanced ports rendered in HD done in mere 6 weeks.

the GOW games were enhanced ports rendered in HD done in mere 6 weeks.

3D games are MUCH easier to upconvert as you just tell the game "render at this screensize & use these new textures" Then if they also need to, toss in some higher polygon count characters as well. A LOT less work than a 2D game.

Yup, precisely my point. Another example was T5 DR on PSN, which was easily rendered in 1080p despite having PS2 assets (and some bumped up texture res).

The GOW games were particularly easy to enhance because the assets were already of high quality, and only held up by the PS2 hardware at the time, especially the 2nd game that was rendering at a res. well below 640x480.

Aside from purity, I wonder why they didn't just opt to use 3D models instead of recapturing the whole sprite set from actors. Seems perfectly reasonable that they could just rasterize each character after rendering it in the correct position. They'd still end up with sprites that could be used to replace the current ones, but might save time/costs with dealing with live actors.

I hope they are going to include Rayden in UMK3 as a hidden character (since he's not a standard character), I really enjoyed him (and his combos) in MK trilogy.

Yea, Im think Tim Static on this one. Since they are just going to have the UMK3 Version they should add the MK3 exclusive stuff with UMK3. For example:

The Bank and Hidden (Red) Portal Arenas should be added to UMK3 HD since these where only in the MK3 Version.

Sonya's Friendship was different in MK3 where she moved her arms back and forth in a weird goofy way and in UMK3 she did her win pose and flowers grew out of the ground. I think in UMK3 HD she should have both of these Friendships.

In UMK3 there is no MK3 Bios, only Bios of the new added characters exclusive to UMK3, I think in this UMK3 HD Version we should have Bios for everyone in the game. Also MK3 has full body portraits where UMK3 Bios do not, I think we should have full body Portraits back for everyone in the game.

MK3 Endings had Original art pictures for the endings and UMK3 had Versus Screen pics, I think we should have our Original Art Pictures back for UMK3 HD.

MK3 Noob Saibot used a Kano Shadow and in UMK3 Noob Saibot used a Ninja Shadow, I think in UMK3 HD we should have both, either at random or different ways to fight these 2 versions.

MK3 Wavenet and UMK3 Wavenet you where able to put in a code to play as Noob Saibot, I think UMK3 HD should be based off the latest version of the game in arcades which would be the wavenet version, there for I think Noob Saibot should be playable, and actually both versions MK3 Kano Shadow and UMK3 Ninja Shadow.

In UMK3 you have to cycle thru all the UMK3 exclusive arenas twice before being able to play thru the MK3 arenas, this I think is a horrible design, made since in arcades b/c they wanted people to see what was so new about UMK3, but now its just annoying, They should all MK3 and UMK3 cycle thru once, maybe even mix up the order for UMK3 HD Version.

Rain in the UMK3 intro should still be there even if they dont use him for the game, but would be really kool if they decided to make him playable in UMK3 HD, but I doubt it.

I cant wait to get this game and play thru it and see what they decided to fix or change or what they left the same. Hopefully they have thought about this and made a true solid UMK3 that contained all the MK3 exclusives, but only time will tell.

Well Prince of Persia HD has been confirmed; http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125875p1.html

Gives me more hope, because the box art was leaked just like MKHD and the release date is almost the same.

but Im concerned about the bits that it will be a PS3 exclusive and a europe only release. If this will be the same for MKHD, a lot of fans are going to be pissed. Luckily I own a PS3 and live in Europe, but still...

I hope this won't be the case.

EDIT: doh..I Just remembered the Gamestop pre-order so the Europe only release is unlikely

Last edited:

On another note, I really wish they would have included MK4 in with this HD Arcade Kollection, but there not. So maybe they will have a MK4 and The Grid Kollection sometime down the line, perhaps on PSN and xboxlive for Download?

On another note, I really wish they would have included MK4 in with this HD Arcade Kollection, but there not. So maybe they will have a MK4 and The Grid Kollection sometime down the line, perhaps on PSN and xboxlive for Download?

So do I. MK4 is shrugged off as the redheaded step child of the series in the 90's, but I enjoyed it thoroughly as long as I could (it really wasn't popular where I am). I remember being on site when revision 2.0 was installed and got 10 free credits after striking a conversation with the technician, who happened to be a MK fan too. Good times :)

Now that I have a supergun, I may as well look around for the UMK3 and MK4 PCB's. I got the kick harness in advance just in case.

Last edited: