MK HD Kollection

Re: November quickly approaching

I doubt many people are aware of it's existence. I am a MK fan and didn't hear about it before joining this forum, and I came here for MK 9. Of course I am happy with that HD compilation and i'll buy it but I wouldn't have known if I didn't subscribe here. Now not every MK fan will join the forums (most probably they just need to know the release date of MK 9 and don't care about seeing fatalities & and new stages).
I told 23 friends about it (long time fans of the franchise) and none knew of its existence. They were surprised the game will be released in 4 weeks (that was a week ago) and that they never heard of it...

You may be right that "many people" are not aware of its existence, but I believe many more are (just my opinion). I have seen threads online at various non-MK forums discussing the game, as well as various video game news sites mentioning it. I've asked around at some stores and, while the clerks couldn't provide much info, they all had heard of the game, mainly from other customers' inquiries (the stores included Gamestop, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Toys R Us, K-Mart and Target.... so they weren't exclusively video game stores). All hardcore MK fans that I know that keep up to date with the franchise for the most part, were aware of it as well, though a cousin and co-worker I spoke to recently, who are more casual fans, had not heard of it.

Finally, assuming NR or WB did a minimal advertising campaign (they certainly won't be going all out on this one due to MK2011's release in April), who would be the target and how would they be exposed to the ads? Would your friends who weren't aware of it have even seen the ads? Obviously, someone from NR or WB needs to just confirm the game if it's real, but aside from that, I don't think marketing is going to bring in that many more people.

You may be right that "many people" are not aware of its existence, but I believe many more are (just my opinion). I have seen threads online at various non-MK forums discussing the game, as well as various video game news sites mentioning it. I've asked around at some stores and, while the clerks couldn't provide much info, they all had heard of the game, mainly from other customers' inquiries (the stores included Gamestop, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Toys R Us, K-Mart and Target.... so they weren't exclusively video game stores). All hardcore MK fans that I know that keep up to date with the franchise for the most part, were aware of it as well, though a cousin and co-worker I spoke to recently, who are more casual fans, had not heard of it.

Finally, assuming NR or WB did a minimal advertising campaign (they certainly won't be going all out on this one due to MK2011's release in April), who would be the target and how would they be exposed to the ads? Would your friends who weren't aware of it have even seen the ads? Obviously, someone from NR or WB needs to just confirm the game if it's real, but aside from that, I don't think marketing is going to bring in that many more people.

Well I would like to complete your list of video games stores with a dozen of mine who have heard about the game (they get lists with futur releases), unfortunatly I am talking about people who don't get WB lists, who don't care about forums and are MK fans (not hardcores like you & me coming daily to this forum to check if finally scorpion's eyes are glowing yellow or white). And since they don't practise divine arts there is no way they could have heard of it. Maybe in the states the word spreads easier, and I am glad for you, but I find it average that fans since 1992 (my surrounding's case and me if I didn't drop by this forum) are not aware of it due to a lack of advertisement (or should I say 0 advertisment).

Last edited:

Well I would like to complete your list of video games stores with a dozen of mine who have heard about the game (they get lists with futur releases), unfortunatly I am talking about people who don't get WB lists, who don't care about forums and are MK fans (not hardcores like you & me coming daily to this forum to check if finally scorpion's eyes are glowing yellow or white). And since they don't practise divine arts there is no way they could have heard of it. Maybe in the states the word spreads easier, and I am glad for you, but I find it average that fans since 1992 (my surrounding's case and me if I didn't drop by this forum) are not aware of it due to a lack of advertisement (or should I say 0 advertisment).

I understand what you're saying and didn't realize you weren't from the States. Perhaps MK is more widely known here, I have no clue. Regarding the store employees, the ones I spoke to weren't aware of the game solely from the upcoming games list, but from numerous other customers coming in and asking about it specifically. That actually really surprised me, as I thought I'd be the first and only person to inquiry. The last guy I spoke to, at my local Wal-Mart, said he had 3 people ask him that day alone and several in the past weeks.

Once again, I ask, what sort of advertising would actually reach the more casual fan? Considering this will be just an HD update of the games (i.e. nothing really new except polished graphics and audio and possibly online play), what sort of advertising can they realistically do? There is absolutely no chance they will do a Television spot. Radio is out of the question. Perhaps the only real means of advertising would be a magazine ad, though I think those would be very minimal, and just an official game trailer. And even then, it's still possible the more casual MK fan (and non fans) still wouldn't even see it before the game was in stores.

Re: Announcement imminent?

I hope I am wrong, but I have always thought this game didnt exsist due to the new MK coming out next year. This seems like something that you would put out inbetween the years that you are working on a new project. I realize it would be a good move to maybe make this HD remix to gain hype for the new MK but with nothing ever being released I seriously doubt we ever see anything.

look everybody!there is NO mk hd collection coming out in november,stop tormenting yourselves!it cost money 2 make games and people have 2 get paid,so marketing is a must!companies dont care about popularity or fans they care about capital,and 4 capital 2 be made on a product it MUST advertise it!nobody runs a business without advertisements nobody,it sukks but it is what it is

look everybody!there is NO mk hd collection coming out in november,stop tormenting yourselves!it cost money 2 make games and people have 2 get paid,so marketing is a must!companies dont care about popularity or fans they care about capital,and 4 capital 2 be made on a product it MUST advertise it!nobody runs a business without advertisements nobody,it sukks but it is what it is

I'm still convinced it's real, considering all the major stores like gamestop have it for pre-order, I don't think they could just have it up there if it didn't exist.

well if this game is real it would be the only game to have come out in 16 days notice or less,but to be honest i think the game got canceled due to whatever issue they were having.

I understand what you're saying and didn't realize you weren't from the States. Perhaps MK is more widely known here, I have no clue. Regarding the store employees, the ones I spoke to weren't aware of the game solely from the upcoming games list, but from numerous other customers coming in and asking about it specifically. That actually really surprised me, as I thought I'd be the first and only person to inquiry. The last guy I spoke to, at my local Wal-Mart, said he had 3 people ask him that day alone and several in the past weeks.

Once again, I ask, what sort of advertising would actually reach the more casual fan? Considering this will be just an HD update of the games (i.e. nothing really new except polished graphics and audio and possibly online play), what sort of advertising can they realistically do? There is absolutely no chance they will do a Television spot. Radio is out of the question. Perhaps the only real means of advertising would be a magazine ad, though I think those would be very minimal, and just an official game trailer. And even then, it's still possible the more casual MK fan (and non fans) still wouldn't even see it before the game was in stores.

I agree with you, there is absolutely no way they pay an add for TV or radio, but magazines works well here, I don't know if in the states it's the same. All new releases are normally made public in many of our well known games magazines.
What bugs me is that the store employees still have the list saying that it is going to be released on november 16th and they have no idea whatsoever about this game. Anyway they told me that they should receive the stock soon if it is really meant to be released on that date. I guess I'll have to wait & see.

nothing really new except polished graphics and audio and possibly online play.

Well these new features you speak of are important enough to make people (hardcore & fans) buy the game again (personal opinion), I am anxious to play MK 1 online!

Last edited:

Magazines were 'the big thing' when it came to video games news, but that was before the internet. I remember waiting anxiously each month for my Gamepro, EGM and Nintendo Power to arrive. That was how I kept up to date with the latest gaming news. Now... everyone expects stuff instantaneously. In a way, I really do miss the old days. :p

Yeah, I do find it odd that the lists the store clerks have still have the game listed for Nov. 16. You'd think that, if it wasn't going to be released, that would have been changed by now. Hopefully, this is a good sign. Perhaps if they do get it in soon (even though they can't technically sell it until the 16th), maybe they will let us get a glimpse of it and even take a picture holding it or something. That would be huge.

Finally, regarding the new features, I'm in the same boat as you. While it's technically nothing new, it's definitely more than enough to get my $40. MK1 online? Sign me up!

You'd think that, if it wasn't going to be released, that would have been changed by now. Hopefully, this is a good sign.

I really hope so, I am going to check the stores every couple of days and see if there is anything new. When they receive the stock (if they ever do) I'll ask if I can take 1 tiny little pic of the game box.

well i called every video game store in town and they all said the same thing,noooooo! it's not in our list.
also the person from gamespot said it's fake because first of all they need a couple of months 2 advertise the product and secondly they always get there shipment early so for nov 16 they would get there shipment on the 8th but still nothing yet and no work or no pictures no proof of nothing at all .sorry guys time 2 move on i called at least 10 or 11 game stores and they all said no.it's fake and a major let down thanks for the false info trmk.

well i called every video game store in town and they all said the same thing,noooooo! it's not in our list.
also the person from gamespot said it's fake because first of all they need a couple of months 2 advertise the product and secondly they always get there shipment early so for nov 16 they would get there shipment on the 8th but still nothing yet and no work or no pictures no proof of nothing at all .sorry guys time 2 move on i called at least 10 or 11 game stores and they all said no.it's fake and a major let down thanks for the false info trmk.

I agree. I called about 7 stores including ones in surrounding states and got the same answer. Its a major letdown but I guess I might as well get over it.

I agree. I called about 7 stores including ones in surrounding states and got the same answer. Its a major letdown but I guess I might as well get over it.

Interesting. Well, right now, we've got two people who have called (and actually visited) several stores with all of them having knowledge of the game and two people who have called several stores with none of them having knowledge of it. Hhm... 2-2. One way or the other, we shall find out within the next couple weeks whether this is simply a rumor or the worst kept secret ever.

... Calling to ask about an unannounced game. You're kidding right? The New Xbox 360 was announced one week before release. Why couldn't NetherRealm Studios do the same?

The New Xbox 360 was announced one week before release. Why couldn't NetherRealm Studios do the same?

One is a revision of an existing product, and the other is a retro compilation that's technically new. For example, Sony announced all of theirs months in advance because they naturally want word of mouth with minimal advertising to sell them.

Hell, even $5 XBL and PSN games get announced months in advance, so it's really hard to imagine an announcement a week in advance for a new SKU. Even Sega wouldn't do something like that... then again, they dropped Sonic 4 without any real advertising push :p

Maybe it'll get announced this week for a December release. At worst, early next year.