sf vs tekken

Looks like a VS game based on the SFIV engine. It makes much more sense than having a more methodical 3D VS fighter which would be a nightmare to test and complete.

Yep Namco is Making a Tekken Vs Street Fighter game with the Tekken 6 engine, while Capcom is making Street Fighter vs Tekken with the Street fighter 4 engine, sounds like one heck of a 2011 to me along with Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Mortal Kombat 9? jeez my wallets going to be empty.

Yea, that's alot of fighting games coming out back to back. I'm going to have to pick games carefully or i'll go broke.

Capcom sure knows how to get my money on a regular basis!

Both versions are a must-buy. Tekken characters in 2D is a very interesting change, whereas Street Fighter characters in Tekken-style 3D should be loads of fun as well. I will definitely get both.

The top 2 fighting franchises squaring off in one game? Hard to believe its going to be a reality. Can't wait!

Game looks very cool. But we probably wont see this till the end of 2011 or early 2012 i think. I hope it has a huge roster.

Of course i would have preferred Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat.

Worst idea ever. Ugh, this is just stupid.
:/

You know, that's exactly what I said before I saw the gameplay. The one thing this does well though is draw SF fans to Tekken and vice versa. And hopefully, we end up with two very refined games if these companies stay somewhat competitive.

I agree with you to the extent of blending stories (like MKvDC), but I can't say either series has a story solid enough to keep them from merging. I'll remain hopeful, but skeptical until I play it for myself. As of right now, I see some great potential in both.

I don't think anyone is really concerned with the story, whether its SF vs. Tekken or MK vs. DCU.

But, SF vs. Tekken is a lot more interesting, by far. It's like the Marvel vs. DC of fighting games.

I don't think anyone is really concerned with the story, whether its SF vs. Tekken or MK vs. DCU.

But, SF vs. Tekken is a lot more interesting, by far. It's like the Marvel vs. DC of fighting games.

I had some trouble swallowing the idea of MKvDCU (even after playing it), whereas the SF and Tekken series don't really seem to be out of place from one another.

Funny enough though, because of my interest in Namco's game as well, I picked up Tekken 6 today. I've never played Tekken on more than a very casual/occasional basis - never even owned one. I feel like a newborn learning to walk...

Worst idea ever. Ugh, this is just stupid.

:/

Cool story bro. This couldn't be further from a bad idea, let alone "worst ever", but then again, you take the opportunity to express hate on anything 3D related every time (despite the Capcom game being 2D :p).

Commercially, this makes the most sense out of all crossover ideas. The two franchises are to date the most popular and highest grossing ones globally (based on the respective company's figures). They have an audience in every region whereas other franchises are limited by comparison. Furthermore, arcades are still a good source of revenue for both companies in Japan and PAL regions so this is a viable endeavor without a doubt.

Funny enough though, because of my interest in Namco's game as well, I picked up Tekken 6 today. I've never played Tekken on more than a very casual/occasional basis - never even owned one. I feel like a newborn learning to walk...

You won't be impressed by the package itself, but the game itself is solid and I would think the new game is based on that engine. But we'll find out soon I suppose. Not to mention that due to the 4 buttons setup, it's playable on high levels with a PS pad (a lot of top US players stuck with it through the years and dedicated T5 cabinets had controller ports).

Check out www.tekkenzaibatsu.com and www.sdtekken.com for news. Markman of SDTekken will be showcasing the Tekken X SF game with the series producer.

This is bizarre. I love Street Fighter, and I'll play SF vs. Any Stupid Thing Imaginable, but this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me. Oh sure, it does from a financial perspective, which I guess is all that really matters, but 2D and 3D fighters are way too different mechanically. Consider just how drastically that extra dimension changed MK.

I am a bit intrigued by the idea of a more juggle-friendly Street Fighter, but as far as the Namco version goes, I'm not touching that thing with a ten foot clown pole. I don't really want to see how dragon punches and hurricane kicks are going to work on a Z axis.

Cool story bro. This couldn't be further from a bad idea, let alone "worst ever", but then again, you take the opportunity to express hate on anything 3D related every time (despite the Capcom game being 2D :p).

Commercially, this makes the most sense out of all crossover ideas. The two franchises are to date the most popular and highest grossing ones globally (based on the respective company's figures). They have an audience in every region whereas other franchises are limited by comparison. Furthermore, arcades are still a good source of revenue for both companies in Japan and PAL regions so this is a viable endeavor without a doubt.

These are two very sucessful franchises in the genre. Apples and oranges.

But yea, to hell with 3d fighters. I mean, they arent even really 3d. anyways

commercially, i disagree. This isnt ONE game were talking about. Its 2 different games with totally different gameplay. Not everyone has $120-$130 to spend on 2 games. (unless they released them as a 2 disc set, but there is no way) I hope the hand that feeds bites.

And even after seeing the game play, its what? MvC2 on the SF4 engine. Boring. and the Namco version...SF characters without projectiles? No thanks.

I for one, am tired of the SF4 series already. I like playing it time to time but there is alot better, more engaging SF games to play. And yes, i do not like Tekken or for the most part, any 3d fighters. Boring, slow....if i want something more realistic, I'll play UFC.

Odd, I don't think they fit together either. Oh well, 2 highly talented game companies. I thought I'd see Tekken Vs Soul Calibur (in house attempt) first though, and even they don't fit that well. Even funnier, I don't like Streeties! :-0

You still have Yoshimitsu in SC so that's kind of a VS thing lol Oh and Heihachi in SCII.

@ Tim

The commercial aspect I was referring to is the viability to garner sales through the brand names, that's all. Those strong brand names were established through their success, so speaking strictly of a brand angle, they're similar and the two companies saw a potential. Gameplay wise, absolutely, it's like comparing apples to oranges. But the mere fact that there are two games, and not just one is an indication that the respective companies are trying to cater to their respective fanbases. To SF fans, it's another VS game and to Tekken fans, it's TTT2. A small percentage will be interested in both because not all SF fans like Tekken and vise versa.

But if SSFIV or pretty much any fighter released this century isn't your cup of tea, you're not in the target audience for either. The general reaction has been very positive thus far overall and we haven't seen the Namco version yet.. and btw, the series has had projectiles since T2 to a limited extent (Devil/Angel and Devil Jin's lasers/ Ogre's fire breath). There were customization item moves in T6 (example, Bryan's shotgun).

3D fighters can be fast, technical and exciting if you really get into them and understand the systems. When you're not into them and don't know what goes on in matches, then yup, they'll look boring and crappy. It's not unlike 3D elitist who don't know jack about 2D fighters and can't see the appeal with a few special moves. Or hey, anti-MK fighter fans who just don't get or know the extent of MKII's or UMK3's depth and high level play and simply dismiss it.

On a last note, realism in 3D fighter doesn't exist. In games with juggles, and fighting bears and metallic robot-like entities (whatever the hell Dural is :p) and so forth, realism doesn't apply. And yeah, they're not 100% 3D and it wasn't until 96 with VF3 when we started seeing permanent 3D dodging (T2 had one capable character). 100% 3D movement type games were novelty and fun though, like the VS mode in MK SM and Power Stone.

I didn't have any trouble swallowing this idea, since it's already been applied before
via Namco X Capcom but that was a Japanese release only