Has MK3 been retconned out of existence?

[sek]

I was looking at the Wikipedia entries for the MK series and I realized that almost all the new characters created for MK3 have been dropped or simply forgotten about except for the robots. Nightwolf, Stryker and Sheeva have not made any non-Armageddon appearances since, Kabal's hookswords have appeared but the man himself is presumed dead, and even Sindel is no longer mentioned. The storylines created/advanced seem to no longer exist either. Sub-Zero is now to MK games what Rey Mysterio is to pro wrestling: we're just supposed to forget that period of time where he went without the mask. Kitana was supposed to be saving her mother/reclaiming her throne, now it seems to be more of a Kitana-Liu Kang love story.

Even the characters that survived, the robots, have seen their backstories largely ignored or changed. They started off as the Lin Kuei automating all their ninjas, and now they both seem to be bounty hunters who can be programmed by the forces of good or evil to do whatever they want.

Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is, but it seems with each passing game the MK team seems to distance itself further from MK3. Seeing as how it's the high point of their hubris as a development group, I can't blame them.

It's too bad they've forgotten Sektor so mightily. He had a great part in MKA and his ending in MKTE was fantastic. How awesome is a ruthless blood red robot ninja with an army of similarly fashioned but not as powerful robot ninjas? VERY awesome indeed! More Sektor! Say it with me everybody!

I have no problem with Sheeva and Nightwolf not making anymore appearances. I like Stryker, but I won't be butt hurt if he never appears in a game again.

Nightwolf had some relavance in Deception. However, some guys didn't even have a role in MKA's konquest (Sheeva had a minor role but I didn't see Stryker anywhere but epically punching Mileena in the face in the intro.)

Last edited:
I thought the unmasked Sub was supposed to be the original Sub's brother?