McCarron's 15th Years of Kombat Kontest

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
Fifteen years ago this week, before TRMK existed, I wrote my first video game guide, a not so good FAQ for <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_3">Mortal Kombat 3</a>. If you want to read more about my history with MK, I wrote a longer post about the past fifteen years over at <a href="http://infiniteshamrock.com/post/397106944/fifteen-years-of-mortal-kombat">my personal blog Infinite Shamrock</a>. Here's an excerpt I feel that is relevant to TRMK readers:

When Mortal Kombat 4 began testing around Chicago in 1997, I joined up with friends who ran the website The Realm of Mortal Kombat. I’ve been working on covering all Mortal Kombat games for TRMK ever since. We are the longest running Mortal Kombat website still in existence. We to this day are still trying to continue to help fans in the “Kommunity” as well as we can. It’s not easy to do right along side a real job, but I will continue to do this as long as I believe I’m contributing in some form or another. We’re currently anticipating the release of Mortal Kombat 9 which is rumored to be coming sometime around Christmas 2010.

Through out the past 15 years I have also met and become friends with many great people. Everyone from the developers behind the games, members of the professional and amateur gaming press and of course all the other legions of game fans out there. Many of which provided great inspiration to me, and have been great friends over the years. I would make a list of these people who have helped over the years, but then I’m likely to forget someone. So I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey over the years, as without you I probably wouldn’t be where I am today. I really appreciate everything.

I decided to celebrate this day by doing a small giveaway. I have assembled an awesome Mortal Kombat prize package to give away to three lucky MK fans.

<b>Each MK Package contains</b>:
- Mortal Kombat Kollection for PlayStation 2 (THREE MK GAMES!)
- TWO! MK games for two random systems (Xbox, Nintendo DS, PC, SNES or Gameboy)
- Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe T-Shirt
- Two Mortal Kombat Armageddon Wii Posters
- Misc Mortal Kombat Kollectable swag
- Various Midway Games memorabilia
- Additional surprises are possible, I may reveal them as time goes on.
<a href="http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/12847-McCarron-s-15th-Years-of-Kombat-Kontest?p=152245&viewfull=1#post152245">Some Pictures Available Here</a>

To enter the kontest, we've decided to harness the power of the social web. You have three ways to enter for a chance to win.

<b>TRMK Forums Kontest:</b>
- <a href="http://www.trmk.org/forums/register.php">Register for an account</a> in our forums.
- Leave a comment to <a href="http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/12847-McCarron-s-15th-Years-of-Kombat-Kontest?p=152186#post152186">this news story thread</a> by the end of the day February 26th will be entered.

<b>Twitter Kontest:</b>
- First you must follow <a href="http://www.twitter.com/trmk">@TRMK on Twitter</a>, so we can contact you.
- Once you follow us, then then you just have to post a <b>Tweet that mentions @TRMK</b> by end of the day, February 26th will be entered.

<b>Facebook Kontest:</b>
- First you have to join our <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRMK/208464561856">Facebook Fan Page</a>.
- Then post a reply to <a href="http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=208464561856&topic=17058">this discussion thread on our Facebook Fan page</a> before the end of the day, February 26th will be entered into the Kontest.

<b>Contest Rules</b>:
- Contest is only open to those who live in North America due to the games being playable here only. Sorry!
- Only one entry per person per kontest, all additional entries will be filtered out.
- You can also only win one kontest, if your name is drawn for more than one we'll draw again.
- Contest IS open to our Forum Moderators, as they are unpaid staff members.

Again as I said in my blog post, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey over the years, as without you I probably wouldn’t be where I am today. I really appreciate everything, and I hope to continue to serve you the MK Fans for as long as I can!

Last edited:
Looks like I'll waddle in for a chance at some MK garb. That reminds me, you should totally include an MK shirt. I'm itchin' for one... and that's not because I'm allergic to the fabric.

Woohoo, I'm eligible! I don't have a PS2, but I'm all for the swag and whatnot.

Woohoo, I'm eligible! I don't have a PS2, but I'm all for the swag and whatnot.

Good chance a XBox game will get included too. Still working out final details.

Bah, even though its only playable in the US, would you still ship it overseas?

I could depending, it would be pretty expensive but I will allow it if the winner really wants it.

Looks like I'll waddle in for a chance at some MK garb. That reminds me, you should totally include an MK shirt. I'm itchin' for one... and that's not because I'm allergic to the fabric.

Actually there may be a T-Shirt in the package thanks to a member here. Waiting to hear back about that.

Count me in. I'd be happy to stump the cash for the shipping, I know I can't play the games but it would be good for the collection.

This is really the oldest site still active? That's impressive. I hope the mystery game is MKII for SNES, MKM for PS1, or MKA for Wii. Because those are the only ones I don't already have readily available.

This is really the oldest site still active? That's impressive. I hope the mystery game is MKII for SNES, MKM for PS1, or MKA for Wii. Because those are the only ones I don't already have readily available.

Hmm I may have a MK2 loose for SNES sitting around. I have like 4 copies of that game in various forms. 2 US and 2 Japan. I may consider that too then. ;)

MKA Wii I was going to include, but it's near impossible to find for a good price. I found that Amazon has them again, they didn't before, at $30 each. Bought one for myself as it's one of the few ports I'm missing. Sadly I wont be giving this copy away, sorry.

I do have a few misc games that I'll be tossing in, along with a poster or two. The T-Shirts are confirmed to be part of the package, and are the MK vs DC T-Shirts. What spares people get may be up to a second trivia contest maybe. As I sort out the final prize package I'll update here.

Hmm I may have a MK2 loose for SNES sitting around. I have like 4 copies of that game in various forms. 2 US and 2 Japan. I may consider that too then. ;)

MKA Wii I was going to include, but it's near impossible to find for a good price. I found that Amazon has them again, they didn't before, at $30 each. Bought one for myself as it's one of the few ports I'm missing. Sadly I wont be giving this copy away, sorry.

I do have a few misc games that I'll be tossing in, along with a poster or two. The T-Shirts are confirmed to be part of the package, and are the MK vs DC T-Shirts. What spares people get may be up to a second trivia contest maybe. As I sort out the final prize package I'll update here.

I'll hit up some local shops for some stuff to send with the rest of the stuff. I'll find something! :)

Wow Pat, it seems like yesterday we were all on #mk3 on EFnet with ratman, druboy, Greesman, TonyD....hard to believe it's been 15 years. I was pretty much a n00b back then, I probably wouldn't want to read those old chat logs now. Less hard to believe that this is still the go-to MK site for anyone serious about the games both past and future.

Each of the three Kontest winners will be receiving a MKvDC T-Shirt too, compliments of Tim Static! Thanks a ton Tim!

Nice prizes. I can't wait till you announce the winners.

Edit: Like the poster before me. This was also my first MK site. By the way, was it this site that had the Heart-Shaped Box midi music running in the background? That was so cool.