• Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
Over the years there have been a great tradition of great intro videos to the Mortal Kombat series. After a small conversation in our forum's chat box I decided it was time to go ahead and plot up a short poll here to determine the best of all the games.

I personally have always gotten goosebumps from Mortal Kombat II's intro to this day, thus my vote will be going there, but be sure to vote and let us know what you think!

To refresh your memory, I scoured YouTube and have made them all available to watch below.

Mortal Kombat II

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Mortal Kombat 4

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance

Mortal Kombat Deception

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

Having re-watched all these, MK2 still gives me goose bumps and makes me put a quarter into the machine, but Shaolin Monks is the best of the new more "Cinematic" intro because it packs so many intense fight scenes into 4 short minutes.

MKII is awesome, but more because of Dan's music. Its epic...

And then Shaolin Monks was amazing. Like a real time 3d version of the MK1 tournament.

BUT...

I am voting Deadly Alliance because of the shock value. BAM! Kangs dead. Now they did screw it up BIG TIME bringing him back to life in MKD & MKA, but the opening scene in MK:DA was awesome. Dont really care for the Dragon King story line, but the whole shock value of seeing Kang killed was amazing.

1. MKDA
2. MKSM
3. MKII

I'm going with Mortal Kombat Armageddon since it's a COMPLETE roll up of all of the previous characters... That Cinematic I can watch over and over again!

I went with MK:SM because overall it was the most built up.

-MK2 was amazing in its day and comes second on the list of fav. Still frames can be ignored since techonolgy was limit, but it was a nice balance between story telling over all and getting the game out to people. Something MK3 lacked.
-I don't like MK4, maybe it the DotR + movie effect since suddenly seeing a deep booming voiced Raiden was a heap of contrast. Plus, nothing really happens except you get the storyline.
-DA would have been nice with less story and more things happening overall, it feels rushed for time. Lie it HAS to tell you everything in one hit.
-Deception shows you what happens at the start of the main game, but its the end of the conquest mode. Its one of the best pulled off for what it does, but damn, it was a little confusing to see the first time, trying to figure out what ELSE is going on. It acts as a "spoiler" for the conquest mode and only succeeds in a minor boot into the main fighting mode. Plus it was a cheap way of writing most of the previous games characters out of the cast. :-/
-Arm's let down by 90% of the background stuff could have been anyone doing anything in the same role, with only the foreground mattering. Still there ARE some nice details, if you pay attention theres a lot going on in that cluster of characters. But, it feels like "check" list of included characters half the time. It also doesn't really tell you much story, only that theres a fight going on right now and it (poorly) shows how the little new things have been included, in fact in my opinion it could have gotten away without the aerial combat bit.
-I hate cut + paste intros for ANYTHING so Mk Vs. DCU's intro can go jump off a cliff.

MK: A got my vote. I like them all fighting together, its cute.
Shaolin Monks was/is a great game with a great intro, but every mini movie scene in that game is well done.
I hardly remember MK DC.

On a side note, MK4 had the best comercial/tv ad, I had to look it up again but it was just as good as I remembered. :)

Deadly Alliance, without a doubt. An unforgettable turn in the Mortal Kombat story. I still remember the complete disbelief I felt when I first heard that Liu Kang wasn't going to be in the game, and was so interested in playing Deadly Alliance.

II and Deception are right underneath Deadly Alliance, in terms of best intro videos.

This is actually a bit of a tough call. I seldom think about it specifically, but MK has always had remarkable intro videos. As others have mentioned, Deadly Alliance was unbelievable and unforgettable just for the shock value alone. I still remember the day my buddy brought his Xbox over to my house with a brand new copy of the game and told me I had to see the intro, which led to my complete incredulity at seeing Mr. MK get his neck snapped like a twig. Of course, like Tim said, they messed that up by bringing him back later on, but at the time, I really believed that could be the end of Liu Kang. At a time where I had almost forgotten MK existed, that single moment was almost like an affirmation that everything we thought we knew about Mortal Kombat had gone completely out the window.

Shaolin Monks, on the other hand, was so fantastic mainly because of the nostalgic joy it gave me to see the original tournament fledged out in this incredibly polished, 3D battlefield. That, and how could you see Sub-Zero smack Scorpion with another guy's spine and not think it's awesome?

Still, I think I have to give this one to MK2. Like Pat, it still gives me goosebumps to see it now for the forty-thousandth time. Any other game in existence, including the aforementioned ones, will prompt my skipping of the introduction more often than not, but there will never be a time that I can fire up MK2 without experiencing all that glory one more time. The "Now the Kombat Kontinues..." montage remains just about my favorite piece of... anything, ever, with the bold, pulsing music finding its way to be my favorite track in the entire series. And let's not forgot that whole nostalgia trip too, because, come on, this game was our GOD when it came out.

That, and how could you see Sub-Zero smack Scorpion with another guy's spine and not think it's awesome?

This, basically.

Also I agree with the music on the MKII intro being untouchable. The thunderclap that punctuated the intro used to blast through the arcade I played at.

MKSM's had the best action certainly. But my vote still goes to MKDA hands-down. The booming voice of Raiden explaining to us everything that's been transpiring in those years we weren't fighting in any tournaments, the shock of Liu Kang's death. That scene where Shang Tsung snaps his neck reminds me so much of the MK movie.

I much prefer intros with story and atmosphere to those with action, so MKII is next on my list. Then followed by MKSM. The haunting music, the thunderclap, that silhouette of Shang Tsung pleading with Kahn...just magical.

I believe Deadly Alliance's intro was the most shocking. Liu Kang, one of my favorite characters, gets killed at the hands of Shang Tsung, was one of the most unforgettable moments in MK history. Reviving him back in Deception was a bit disappointing. I say DA.

Old school, definitely MKII, but overall, my vote goes to Deception. Incredibly well animated and scripted with a nice narrative to boot. The whole game had a certain ambiance fit for an epic action adventure game, which somewhat carried out in the conquest mode.

EDIT: Yeah... just realized this is an old bumped stickied topic lol

Last edited:
Shaolin Monks definitely gets my vote. That intro had my jaw on the floor. Loved every bit of it.

In second place, definitely MKII. I don't know how many times I saw and heard that intro at Pizza Hut back in the mid 90's. It will always remain as a sweetass memory. And it also used to intimidate the shit out of me. I didn't even want to touch the game. lol

MK II is epic, I remember the first time I saw Shao Kahn I was 15, my jaw dropped! Not to mention the music etc.. So my vote goes to MK II, although I equally like Deception. What can I say, Rayden rocks lol.

As far as game intros go, MK: Shaolin Monks did it for me.

I loved seeing Sub Zero ripping some unfortunate guard's spine out, and smacking Scorpion with it.
(Reminds me of his MK 9 Fatality)

As far as videos go, MK 4 would be my choice of COSTUMES, if they ever decided to go with the "Rebrith" movie.
Especially for Scorpion and Reptile.
The Scorpion and Reptile costumes were VERY good in the MK 4 intro movie, in comparison to the Reptile in the movie pitch.

Last edited: