Batman: Arkham Asylum Appreciation Thread

Glamador

Superb. Incredible. Fabulous. Verbose expression of wonderment and awe. This is my Game of the Year right here. I can't see anything topping it for me. Now, God of War might, but that's 2010.

I know a bunch of us here at TRMK were greatly looking forward to B:AA, as were most other respectable gamers, and I just wanted to give us all a place to share stories about how awesome it is.

Here's mine. First, I step into a room with some, 6 or so unarmed goons and lay some explosive gel at my feet. I then proceed to chuck a double batarang at two of their skulls. The remaining 4 immediately charge me all getting caught in the blast. I proceed to knock out 3 of them and make short work of the others...that was a good room.

Oh and P.S.

Joker: "Hey there bats!"
Batman: "Joker..."
Joker: "You were expecting maybe Two-Face?"

Well, the craziest thing that I experienced at the Asylum was when I first entered the Medical building's Invisible predator mode. If you remember, there are two guys standing next to or under a weak wall/ceiling there is also a weak floor on the left side of the room somewhere. Well I got busy with the explosive gel. I was spotted right as I finished the last of it. I quickly did a little Benny Hill chase around the room until I turned on detective mode and realised... They were ALL positioned around the weak floor. So I took this rare opportunity and blew them all sky high!

Good times...

All I can say is that I very badly want this game. The demo was great. I'm currently looking at the games I have and seeing if there's any way I can swing a trade for a copy at Gamestop or something. Of course, the 360 games I'm willing to part with aren't worth squat.

I nabbed the collector's edition. I'm really mad there aren't any interviews with Mark Hamill in the Making Of footage. I forgot to DVR the Spike TV Midnight Launch extravoganza and I wasn't available due to my, you know, being AT THE STORE at the time. If anybody knows when it's re-running TELL ME.

I nabbed the collector's edition. I'm really mad there aren't any interviews with Mark Hamill in the Making Of footage. I forgot to DVR the Spike TV Midnight Launch extravoganza and I wasn't available due to my, you know, being AT THE STORE at the time. If anybody knows when it's re-running TELL ME.

Try here and see if you can find it. i am too tired to look anymore....

but yes, this is by far the best game of 2009.........

.......so far. We'll know for sure after October 13th. But still, i am so effin impressed by this game.

One of the very few games that I can appreciate the creators delaying it for improvements. I didn't get bored at any time running through it. It seems very well rounded. Acting, Sound, Graphics, Game Play all seem to be very top notch. I love how the environment and the bat suit progressively change throughout the story to where it feels as if you're playing in a completely different place sometimes. The visual transitions into scarecrows nightmares made my jaw drop every time. There are some very strange, and yet very cool scenes and events that happen. One thing that made me uneasy, is at one point in the game, it looks like the 360 was glitching out, I got up and was about 1 inch away from turning off the console until I realized what was going on. I am still sort of curious whether it was my console since I haven't really asked around about that. lol

It wasn't your console Crdchris. Happens on the PS3 as well. I actually saw it coming, so I wasn't in a hurry to yank the power.

Truly, the Scarecrow levels were some of the best moments on the game. How do you fit a surrealist interpretation of physics and a giant boss into a game set within the realm of possibility? Why, hallucinations of course! They were all very fluid transitions as well. The second time it happened and it said I was entering "Wayne Manor" instead of "Arkham Manor" I knew something was up. The little details...that's what sells it. It must be a distressing feeling not knowing what's real and what's not...it was certainly disconcerting in a virtual environment.

Got the game friday, and its one of the best i've played besides alone in the dark inferno ( I know some will disagree but its a good game)

The main part I like in it is the Riddlers riddles. And anything to do with using detective mode to find something is always a plus cause im into the whole detective shows on TV. So far my favourite encounter in the game has to be the scarecrow

The scarecrow encounters are definitely in the top of the list of reasons why I enjoyed this game. I have to say that my favorite encounter was Poison Ivy. I'm a huge fan of the Resident Evil series, and Poison Ivy just felt like a RE boss to me, with the whole "run, dodge, roll, aim, shoot" strategy.

Well, while I do have Hard Mode left to complete, and a couple missable trophies, I'm mostly focusing on getting gold in all the challenge maps right now. So far I've done all the Invisible Predator maps and 5/8 of the Combat Challenge maps. I have 49240/50000 on one of them...that really peeved me. The combat system is really hard to master. Has anybody gotten past 3 rounds of Dem Bones?

The Shock and Awe Extreme map is giving me the most trouble. The time limit is terribly unforgiving.

I just wish the time limit were as it were in the story mode fight. Where you have a set time to beat the baddies before specifically the floor you're ON at the time gets lit up.

I'm just looking forward to beating the sewers and shock and awe extreme varieties, b/c personally I love fighting titans. They give massive point bonuses when used properly.

I just wish the time limit were as it were in the story mode fight. Where you have a set time to beat the baddies before specifically the floor you're ON at the time gets lit up.

I'm just looking forward to beating the sewers and shock and awe extreme varieties, b/c personally I love fighting titans. They give massive point bonuses when used properly.

Whew. Finally, with much effort, I finished the challenges. The Titans definitely help out with the combo multiplier. Now all that's left to do is play through story mode again, because I forgot to take out the party henchmen.

I didn't take out the party henchmen either! I was actually kinda reveling in my glorious welcome. I mean, they weren't attacking me so I didn't feel the need to go beating up on guys who'd done nothing to me. Especially considering this: If they're THERE then they can't be the guys who attacked me and were subsequently destroyed ELSEWHERE. A la, aside from being escaped criminals who'd just be rounded up once I beat Joker anyway, they were completely innocent.

Suffice to say, it's not going to be easy to take on 30 guys in Hard Mode.

I didn't read the thread yet, just scrolled to the bottom to reply as I just started playing last night. But this game is awesome, SO well done and polished. Great use of the Batman franchise.

Just beat it today, and now starting on the Challenges next. So far a lot of fun, but I agree that the Combat System seems hard to master. I can counter all day long, but in large groups it's hard to build up a combo without jumping all the time. The hardest fight was that stupid party entrance room for the achievement with the 20 guys, glad I did that on Normal.

After challenge rooms, a whole playthrough of Hard Mode, and that horrible elevator titan battle...I had no trouble at all with the entire end sequence of the game. Nada. Really there's a certain point in Hard Mode where once you've gotten through that, the rest seems like a walk in the park. It also helps that I laid down explosive gel and zip-lined through one row during the "party"....it worked out very well.

Well, I must say I'm fun with it so far, and the replay value is good, since my save file corrupted and I get to start over lol