Vidogames That Would Make Awesome Movies?

Hell NO!!!

Scorpion working with the Special Forces?
Reptile was a guy with a skin disease?
Baraka was a doctor who went mad, and implanted blades to his arms?

What's next?
Sub Zero is a ninja that suffers from hypothermia?
Shang Tsung has multiple-personality disorder?

I hope that film pitch never sees the light of day, as a FULL movie.
Realism (dark and gritty), and Mortal Kombat don't mix.

I think it's the only real way to match the violent tones that are seen in Mortal Kombat If it were to be done as a movie in my opinion, you couldn't pull off a Dark and Violent movie with people having Fireballs and Lazer's coming out of them/ "Magic" tones. Look at Saw for instance by far one of the most successful Horror movie series in the last decade ( Although I thought It sucked after Saw 4 ) and the reason why Saw worked ( Not only because of it's unique approach ) was because how Real, Dark and Gritty the movies were.

Biohazard 5

Tomb Raider : Angel of Darkness

Biohazard

Dynasty Warriors [ we have Red Cliff but would like one for whole series]

Well so far videogame related movies were a big fail. Except for Mortal Kombat. I honestly can't say what videogame would make a good movie.

I think it's the only real way to match the violent tones that are seen in Mortal Kombat If it were to be done as a movie in my opinion, you couldn't pull off a Dark and Violent movie with people having Fireballs and Lazer's coming out of them/ "Magic" tones. Look at Saw for instance by far one of the most successful Horror movie series in the last decade ( Although I thought It sucked after Saw 4 ) and the reason why Saw worked ( Not only because of it's unique approach ) was because how Real, Dark and Gritty the movies were.

That's exactly my point though.
Mortal Kombat is violent, but it's not REALLISTIC horror.

The reason that dark and gritty works so well with Saw, is because Saw is meant to gross you out with the REALLISTIC GORE.
Mortal Kombat wouldn't fall into the horror / gratuitous gore category.
Mortal Kombat would fall into the Fantasy / Action category, not horror, just like the first MK movie.
It told the events of the first MK tournament in a simple way, without the exaggerated GORE.

Also remember that Mortal Kombat is made up of witches, sorcerers, Gods, super powered ninjas and 4 armed monsters.
The dark and gritty realism is a COMPLETE oxymoron of that fantasy MK feel.

AS FAR AS MAKING MOVIES GO:
When you're making a movie from a videogame, you no longer have the interactive part of the videogame on the film.
Whatever the Producers and Director decide on, is what makes the Final Cut (no pun intended).
That's the problem with the film industry today.
They go into a videogame-to-movie adaptation thinking "We should make this just like the game."
It's the reason that so many videogame movies usually go straight to DVD.
That same feeling that you had playing the game is lost in transition.

That's why the first Mortal Kombat movie worked so well.
The movie didn't try to mimmick the game.
It told you the STORY of Mortal Kombat.
The 2nd movie flopped, because the producers tried to copy SO much stuff from the games into the movie, rather than just continuing the STORY from the FIRST movie.

Last edited:
Q-Bert and Tetris

Did I win?

Edit: Shang, it's my idea now
Just like Shrinky-Dinks...

I would also like to add Galaga, Pac-Man, and Space Invaders...

I thought Hitman was done very well. However, personally I believe games shouldn't be made into movies. for one thing the direction, in most of the more recent games, is usually better than most of the celluloidal tripe they are pumping out nowadays. the voice actors usually do a more convincing job in portraying and bringing to life the characters in these games than what the actors do. which you really can't blame them for. I mean how do you properly portray ryu or solid snake or even mario? these characters already have an established character, history, personality and following so when it comes to them being transfered to film the fans are looking for the character in the game. when they are given pseudo real life attributes and settings you wind up with what we've gotten so far.

another aspect we need to look at are the kinds of directors that are chosen for these movies and if they have a direction style which suits the themes in the source material. if you look at it the movies that are made for games are about as good as the games made for movies. they are just icing on the cake, a way to squeeze a little more revenue out of an already established franchise or lucrative property. and let's face it most of these directors are probably just names on a dart board.

for them to truly make a good movie they would have to heavily collaborate with developers and designers. which means more time and money spent in the preproduction process. which is time and money they probably don't want to invest in a video game. we have to look at this from the stand point of how video games are viewed, not buy us the gamers but by the public. and to them games are kid stuff. and kid stuff equals low interest except to the fans of said properties.

Q-Bert and Tetris

Did I win?

Edit: Shang, it's my idea now
Just like Shrinky-Dinks...

I would also like to add Galaga, Pac-Man, and Space Invaders...

Not bad... but it's spelled Q*bert. And who would play him?

Tetris on the other hand is a no-brainer. I'd cast Robert de Niro as the long straight block, Matt Damon as the L-block, and Cillian Murphy as square block. Not sure on the rest though.

And what about Burger Time? That'd be a perfect comeback vehicle for Drew Carey.

Off the top of my head:
No One lives Forever series
Ratchet and Clank series
Dragon Age: Origins
Dante's Inferno (animated was pretty cool, but real life one could be even better)
Alpha Protocol
GTA: Vice City (any of the GTAs really, but definitely Vice City)

Samurai Warriors
Dynasty Warriors
Dino Crisis
Resident Evil [based off first game, no alice ********]
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Uncharted [with right actors, Wahlburg does NOT make a good Drake]
Tomb Raider Legend + Underworld
Assassin's Creed Series[ ancestors only, no desmond ********]

The Uncharted movie directed by David O. Russel could be great if done right, it could be die hard, but with a contributing female lead opposite whalberg. O. Russel just got an oscar nom to his name...lets just be happy uwe boll isn't directing this.

I grew up on adventure games (and MK of course :) ), and I always thought a Monkey Island movie series would be cool.
Then, at some point, Disney released Pirates of the Caribbean, which had similar tones, and it was an instant hit.
Someone already meshed up the two franchises in this fan made clip:

For those of you that have never played it, I highly recommend. It's very funny, sarcastic, adventurous and even a little dark at some points.
Telltale released not so long ago remastered versions of the two first games with modern graphics and sound (also on consoles):