Better then SF 4, heres why

DeckardBR

Hi this is my first time posting. I'm actually a long time MK fan from way back thats been rediscovering the series recently, first by becoming addicted to the classic MK games on Mame (I had the console versions also), then by purchasing MK vs DC. I'm sure there have been other threads like this, but since the game is a few months old now I think it would be nice to discuss again.

How its better:

1. Story Mode. This gives you a chance to actually learn the mechanics of the game and gives you a chance to try every character in a fun way

2. Moves: No double quarter circle with three kick/punch moves here, they are pretty straightforward and fun to do. Learning to chain them into combos is pretty enjoyable. Also there are a larger variety of special moves, though the directions are similar for each fighter. So theres more variety in the character animations of the moves.

3. Flash: His actions alone are better then any characters in SF4. Hes fun to watch and master. And yes he devasting.

4. Variety of arcade modes: I was disappointed that there was no rookie, warrior, master as in the old games, but you get to at least mix it up of either all MK, DC or a combo of both. And theres more people to fight. In SF theres maybe six characters before the final boss, which brings me to:

5. Better Boss: Hes simply not as frustrating as SF 4's boss who is programmed to make you throw your controller

6. Rage mode: This is actually a great idea and I prefer it to the Ultra's of SF4 which are just special moves with better animation. Its provides a way to come back and it fits into the whole plot of the game.

7. Sub Zero gets a teleport: Is this new to this particular game? This is my fav character and adding this move to him just makes him even better.

Can you think of any others? If this topics already exhausted I just wanted to give my opinion. This seems like a great forum.

No.

Not by a long shot. If I want to play MK, I'll go back to a time when MK was still MK. But some wanna be Soul Caliber/Tekken ripoff.

I dont even think arguing this is even worth my time. It late and i am tired.

That's not a very nice way to greet a new member Tim.

But that said, I somewhat agree. Compared to other fighting games released since last year MKvDC has a lot to account for. Street Fighter 4 has dozens of challenge missions, unlockables, a larger roster, and (in my opinion) a more polished engine.

Soul Calibur IV also had dozens of unlockables, more fighters, the Tower of Lost Souls, and most of all CHARACTER CREATION.

And while you can say what you like about the various engines, balance, playability whatever, I play games for an engaging experience that draws me in and keeps me entertained.

1. I'll give you that MKvDC's story mode was worlds better than either SF4 or SCIV. Hours of full motion video with at least competent voice acting (Shang Tsung's voice was atrocious), and seamless transitions into kombat gameplay...superior in every way.

2. Moves I will give you as well. MK's moves are scores easier to input and use in combos effectively. SF4 requires split second timing and complex inputs within such strict parameters to execute correctly. I personally hate that about Street Fighter in general (not a fan of the franchise). But there is some merit to the argument that being able to pull off complex inputs demonstrates a degree of dexterity and hand-eye coordination that MK lacks. Thus, the one who can do such complex actions deserves to win. However, I personally place more value on reaction time, reading opponents moves, and strategy than straight athletic comparison when deciding who should win a match.

3. Flash. Are you seriously placing one character above all others as a point of argument that MKvDC is better? That's just silly.

4. This point is absolute rubbish. Arcade mode is almost always a basic-rules fight against 8 opponents in sequence, usually culminating in a boss. MKvDC is no different than SF4 or any other fighter in this respect. However, other fighters have alternative modes to arcade, which I find boring. And MK STILL hasn't implemented a "quick match" vs. CPU yet. I want to be able to pick the person I'm fighting against and just FIGHT. Having to do arcade mode or an online match means I cannot pick my opponent, and that irks me greatly. As for your idea of "variety of arcade modes". That simply isn't true. The ONLY option is to pick who you face. A nice courtesy I wasn't expecting, but nothing earth-shattering in importance.

5. Better boss is a matter of opinion. I think they both suck. Shao Kahn was always and will always be the best.

6. This point I will give you as well. Rage mode, compared purely to the revenge meter in SF4, is better. Rage is built similarly to revenge but in a way it's a combination of SF4's revenge and super meters. MK characters don't have "super attacks" (something I am eternally grateful for) so they make due with a "powered state" for a while instead. I like this better, but I would actually have preferred no meter at all.

7. Again, using a single character's features as a point of argument against another game is silly.

Thank you for recognizing our forum's greatness. I love it here too. And if you stick around you will have some good intellectual conversations on MK and beyond. Despite Tim's initial rudeness.

I hate the Flash, and comparing MK vs. DCU to SFIV is not a good idea; IV is a great continuation to a great series, whereas MK vs. DCU is pretty silly overall.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing MK vs. DCU on the 360, but it's my least favorite MK game by far. I probably would have enjoyed it more if it were just a straight MK game, rather than involving DCU.

I mentioned the characters like Flash and Sub Zero because I think interesting characters are part of what makes a fighting game successful. It makes a player want to learn how to use the character and play the game in general.

I do agree that adding the DC characters was not as preferable as just a straight current gen MK game but i imagine they wanted to change the formula a bit from what they had done in the past and were probably aware of how beloved the marvel vs capcom games were to fighting fans