MK Trilogy comparison

ded_

Here is a quick info for all mkt versions, listed with pluses and minuses. If someone has anything to add or change, just tell.

1. MKT PC Win:

+ No loading times
+ Good graphics on some video cards
+ IPX
+ PSX Greatest Hits gameplay
+ Classic characters, shokans, Chameleon
+ CD quality music and sfx
+ Trainers :D

- USB pad issues, you have to connect it after you start the game, otherwise there will be no sfx

Gameplay video

2. MKT PSX:

+ Exlusive intro
+ Shorter loading times from Sega Saturn
+ Extra animations on some arenas (The Armory, Wasteland)
+ CD quality music
+ "Chameleon Wins" is added

- Huge loadings, although they are shorter than Sega Saturn (and even shorter if played on emulator), but still very annoying
- Buggy version info: different intro screens and options, totaly broken gravity system, slower gameplay

Greatest Hits Gameplay video
Buggy Version Gameplay video
*The actual loadings are longer on real console

3. MKT Sega Saturn:

+ PSX Greatest Hits/PC Final gameplay
+ CD quality music
+ Smaller characters
+ "Chameleon Wins" is added

- Sfx is different, and lots of sounds are missing like Shao Kahn's laughs (instead 3 you have just 2 that had different temble), few robot sounds and etc
- Pixelated shadows, lifebars and Aggressor when activated,
- Chameleon and smoke's effect is pixelated too
- The black and white screen when you beat the game with the final hit is missing
- Aggressor is lil glitched (on emu)
- Bigger loading times than PSX
- Choppy controls, it looks like online delay
- Slowdowns on some arenas with bosses

Gameplay Video
*The actual loadings are longer on real console

4. MKT N64:

+ No loading times at all
+ Khameleon
+ 3 on 3
+ More arenas
+ More secrets

- Missing frames from tons of animations
- No classic characters, shokans and Chamaleon
- The sfx and music sounds horrible
- Broken gameplay: universal kick corner infinite, fast c. HKs, less time limit for some special moves, faster recovery from autocombos
- Aggressor mode is more broken
- Lots, LOTS of slowdowns
- Kahn's Arena and The bank are missing
- Usub and Csub combined
- MK3 music only

They added multi-arenas for Goro's Lair, Kombat Tomb and Armory. The Gra veyard has names of the team at Williams Entertainment, The Lost Bridge has Blaze and Hornbuckle (lol) and there is a variation of Pit II stage called Star Bridge.

NTSC 1.2 Version Gameplay Video
PAL Version Gameplay Video(slower gameplay)

Sorry for the bad quality on some vids, but i had to save files small.

Last edited:
It sounds like your MKT N64 is not running correct, too fast even, during the menus. My game doesn't sound like that.

ded, did you have any compatibility issues with the PC Win version? I'd heard that it doesn't work very well from XP onward, or something.

It sounds like your MKT N64 is not running correct, too fast even, during the menus. My game doesn't sound like that.

could be emulator issues, the gameplay speed is the same?

ded, did you have any compatibility issues with the PC Win version? I'd heard that it doesn't work very well from XP onward, or something.

yes, you will need the patches to run the game under XP:
http://mk.ediko.net/gametools/pc/MKTrilogy_XP.zip
http://mk.ediko.net/gametools/pc/MKTrilogy_XP-2000_Patch_1.1.zip

Last edited:
Wow man, Thanks for the review. Id like to get the PC version and try it myself on my XP. I haven't watched your videos yet, I will do that now.

If I may comment on the "pixelation" in the Saturn version-- this is due to the fact that the Saturn's hardware wasn't capable of displaying transparencies. In MKT, as well as a number of other Saturn games, every sprite that's intended to be transparent is made up of spaced apart pixels to give the (incredibly cheap) illusion of transparency. The arcade version of UMK3 actually uses this same trick in the life bars. Maybe you already knew that, but I just thought I'd clarify why they look that way.

Yeah a lot of early hardware couldn't do, or it was too expensive to do, alpha blending. It's also the reasoning for the life bars being different between each port of the early games. Sometimes it was better to put them on the same level of drawing and move the name out of the life bar, so they could use more levels of parallax scrolling like on the SNES version of the game.

I just watched the MKT PC Win Video, your right no load time...and graphics didn't seem to bad. My problem when watching it here at home, the sound is abut 1.5 seconds ahead of the video, not sure why. Im sure the game wasn't like that, has something to do with my PC.

get ffdshow codecs, the compression i used is h264. after you install them they should play just fine.