So what would you keep/change for MK9?

I'm sure anything Mr.BooN and the MK team comes up with will be awesome. The only thing I would suggest is give us a rockin Kreate a Kharacter mode with all kinds of custom parts. And they should make some really sexy female characters. and please have Raiden, Scorpion and Sub-zero. and they should make give one of the characters a fatality kinda like Kenshiro's touch of death from fist of the north star.

Bring back the guy who'd pop up from the corner of the screen and say something like "Whoopsie!" every time someone was uppercut in the air. I don't know his name but I'm pretty sure he was in the first three games. He's gotta come back! :grin:

That would be Dan "Toasty" Forden, the sound guy.

I think he said "Whoopsie" as well. I can't recall so don't quote me on it, but I think he said a couple different things.

There's no question that it's "toasty". Whatever it may sound like, that's what it's supposed to be. Although, you could also force him to say "frosty" in MK3 if you froze someone in danger mode as Sub-Zero.

There's no question that it's "toasty". Whatever it may sound like, that's what it's supposed to be. Although, you could also force him to say "frosty" in MK3 if you froze someone in danger mode as Sub-Zero.

Really? sweet! I have it on MAME gonna have to give it a try.

Deathrider. When and where did you get such a kick as Tattoo?

Oh, and I would keep free fall combat though I personally don' t like close Kombat, aren't they close enough? I would also bring back things like Death traps, test your might, sight and Harakiri's which are always fun to perform. I personally loved chess combat though never played online as hoped for. I am really good at it, ending the chess games in about 2 or three moves which is totally easy now. I would also change Raiden! Even though he is the eternal GOD OF THUNDER!! He's cool as is though I think he could look more like a god, more of a head turner in terms of looks in conjunction with his status and great power,much more like what we saw in MK:DA which is my favorite MK 3-D game. And lastly, the storyline. I wouldn't change it necessarily, just kinda iron it out, explain what needs to be explained and "fix" the storyline or MK:Armageddon which is a cool storyline with the exception of the whole powers being too much for the world and everything but the whole "coins toss" idea, and the whole war Good VS Evil all together in one arena fighting is just AWESOME!!!

P.S. I also very much enjoyed the podcast announcing and explaining MK vs DC, a great way to inform us all and give us kinda like a heads up!

and P.S. Commander Worf's head looks like a fanny!!

AND NO MORE CREATE-A-FATALITY!!! THEY ALMOST TOOK THE SPIRIT OUT OF MK BY DOING THAT, SEEMS A BIT LAZY ON THEIR PART, FATALITIES REALLY MADE MK ICONIC.

Kreate-A-character was pretty cool although the had 60+ freakin characters!!!!!!! already!

The Game is an all around Masterpiece if i may say so myself. But i personally wouldn't mind deeper character storys and endings and if possible, and im not saying it there isn't already, but a wider range of specials and combos.

But other then that MK is the Shit...

The Game is an all around Masterpiece if i may say so myself. But i personally wouldn't mind deeper character storys and endings and if possible, and im not saying it there isn't already, but a wider range of specials and combos.

But other then that MK is the Shit...

I really hope your NOT talking about MKvDC....

I have to disagree with the 2d idea, i prefer by far 3d. What I would change? Alot:
1)Remove the comic characters
2)Make story mode a roaming story mode, like Mortal Kombat Deception for example
3)Add another mode, surprise me!

Everyone else has their opinions for MK9, so why not throw mine in as well:

1. Considering Armageddon as a "best of" and MK vs DC as a "what if", there hasn't been a game dealing with the MK storyline canon since Deception. This is a great opportunity to take the time to streamline the MK universe a little bit. Over the years, there's been too many twists and turns that over the years created a soap opera level of suspension of disbelief. Johnny Cage is killed! Only he's not (aka they realized how stupid it was to remove one of your main characters because you fell out with the actor who played him). We're going to kill off Liu Kang to make a point that we mean business in this game! Only we really can't keep him dead because he's been the hero of the whole saga and to have him go out like a punk is pretty much the biggest downer possible. Not to mention the whole Cyrax issue. How many times has he been reprogrammed/malfunctioned to switch sides? For that matter, how were a band of ninjas able to master the art of cybernetics? I think it's time to finally end the chapter regarding cyber ninjas. Have Sub-Zero discover the process used to automate them and reverse it. You can even have them not be able to completely return to human form if you like, but no more robots with endless capacity inside their chest cavities. Yes, I realize this is an ironic thing to say considering my username, but if MK9 is going to get back to the roots of the franchise, it's time to say goodbye to robotics.

2. Watching the Fatalities video that came with I believe it was Armageddon for PS2 (collector's edition), one thing that made me shake my head was the discussion of the MK team's least favorite. They all picked Quan Chi's neck stretch and as the worst and all agreed it sucked when they were making the game but they ran out of time. There can't be anything like that in MK9. They're owned by a stable company now, there shouldn't be any rush to push a game out to make any profit they can.

3. No Konquest modes. If they want to make a separate MK RPG, that's fine. To me, there's nothing more irritating than having to go on a Zelda-style quest to unlock items in a fighting game. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with Konquest modes in and of themselves, they are done very well. Just don't make it so that you are required to slog through it if you don't want to.

4. MK needs to get real. People forget that it wasn't so much the blood and violence that made MK so popular (it was a factor, no doubt), it was how playing the game was like one of those gritty 70s Kung Fu movies that you could control. I tend to notice little things, and one thing that jumps out at me is how Fatalities are presented. In every game from MK II on up, when you perform your finishing move, you get the famous "DUN DUN DUN" fatality music and the move is performed. In MK 1, you had the slower "DUUUUUUN..............DUN" that played through the finisher in it's entirety. It was a slower beat that made whatever being done seem more brutal. Since MK9 will be using the same engine as MK vs DC, there are a lot of places where that "real" feel could be obtained. I even recall playing MK vs DC being surprised that DC allowed their characters to be in some of the situations that played out in the game.

5. Move forward with the story. This kind of ties in with my first point, but I wanted to emphasize it again because one of the things that has always irritated me is how games like Street Fighter will make sequels, but they really take place before or between prior versions of the game. Like I said, it's been 6 years since we've had a canon MK game. It would be great if that much time has passed in the game when MK9 arrives. Let's move past the Dragon King story and have the One Being as the "big bad", lets have Reptile use the years that have passed to find his people and evolve back into a more familiar form rather than completely devolving into a wild animal. Have Raiden be tired of having to be the one to save Earthrealm's ass all the time and be more embittered towards humanity. Above all else, make a rule if someone is killed off, they stay dead. That will make sure no one gets it just for shock value, and let's face it there's definitely some fat that could be cut from the MK roster without causing too much protest. There were 63 people in Armageddon for god's sake.

So I guess to sum up, I'm not saying MK9 should just be a redo of the first MK with Unreal Engine graphics (although that would be cool), what it should be is what Ed and company have been promising us: a return to what MK is all about.

The 3D games were more so like Kung Fu movies than the 2D games; 3D games gave each character his/her distinctive Martial Art style.

I agree with the death thing; either the character is dead, or the character isn't. Make a decision, and either keep or kill characters.

Trouble was with MK:Arm, they DID decide on a few characters (a certain red dragon member who is not the cute one in leather) should be dead... But had to bring them all back for MK:arm.

Though in that case, they really DID a number on him and dug into him in his ending (lol Ed Boon and co, you really don't like him do you?).

Edit:
Sorry, the chick inside me wants to say;

"Mavado rocks my MK fangirl realm... <3"

Lol.

Okay I'm done, I'll never say that again, besides I doubt he'll ever be back in the series again! :p

All I ever ask for with each new MK is for the old 2D style and Raiden. That is all I want.

Raiden's outfit in Mk Vs DCU universe and MK:SM was the best since MK2. He looks so puffy and overloaded or dark in recent games. I like the dark outfit at first, but I don't anymore cause I miss the white Raiden.

I like original and MK 2 Raiden. I didn't like any of his newer outfits because it made him look like a superhero.

I agree with the death thing; either the character is dead, or the character isn't. Make a decision, and either keep or kill characters.

it's funny you should say that because it looks the the Street Fighter franchise is following suit. I mean aren't Gen, Bison, and Gouken supposed to be dead? The next thing you know, Charlie is in Super Street Fighter 4