Has the disappointment of MK vs DC kicked in yet?

konasumatra@gmail.com

You have made good points about the MK series being based on the philosophy that “you either accept that it is what it is or you don't” and that MK has never aspired to make a technical fighter. I actually never thought the projectile throwing element of MK would work well with fluid combo fighting of the likes of Soul Caliber or Dead or Alive. I have never expected that, but that fluidity of the animations could have been improved. But It seems very dangerous for Ed Boon assume that doing what ever he what with “his” fighting game will still allow him to keep people buying his games. Ultimately, he will still have to please potential buyers otherwise it will be the death of his game.

I may have not portrayed well just how much I have been following the MK series over the years. Although I have said that there are better rated fighting games out there, looking at may game catalog the only fighting game that I have bought consistently have been the MK games. There is still something that appeals to me about the MK characters and the brutality that they inflict on each other.

With regards to the game's back story, I don't believe that has ever been MK strong point or ever will be. In my opinion, fighters don't lend themselves well to a great storylines anyway. The difference is that some of other fighting games have not attempted to put much empathizes on a back story. I don't even think it is an issue; if I wanted a good back story from a game I would play a adventure or rpg game. It should purely be about knocking lumps out of each other. From what I remember Street Fighter vs Marvel did not even attempt to explain the reasons for Blanka facing off with Wolverine, correct me if I am wrong. It was considered to be a success.

As much as MK's gore and fatalities may be getting old, its MK's defining feature (imo) and what sets them apart from almost every other fighting game. Once those elements are removed or watered down what is really left ? Guys in quirky costumes, copious amounts of projectile throwing and at best average fighting mechanics. There is also the opportunity for them to use their imagination and come up with new ones. They were probably afraid about just how graphic the fatalities would look on the next gen. In my eyes it's just not MK if you can't dismember, decapitate or forcibly remove internal body parts from a helpless victim who had just received a beat down. The MK vs DCU's fatalities just don't look satisfying. After watching them, I was like “ Is that it ?” expecting there to be more. Just imagine pulling off all your pro-moves and stringing all most every possible combo during a match. Wouldn't you love to rip out his spine or heart and hold it aloft like a trophy to cap off you victory.

I am sure some people are just not bother with what Ed Boon does with “his” game. But crossovers and a more sanitized experience at the expense MK's M rating doesn't do it for me. DC fans must be loving this game after all there is next to nothing decent with regards to DC games available now. I am assuming Ed Boon had banked on DC fans to flocking to his game even if he lost MK fans along the way. I as much I am a fan on Superman (the old movies have a place in my heart) there is just something wrong with him facing Raiden. I think that the MK train has reached my stop and I will get off now. I will have to look for my blood lust elsewhere. Maybe Midway's Blitz: The League 2's graphic injuries will offer some satisfaction. :-D

TRZA ,

I don't think I have made any statement that would definitely have required to play this game, correct me if I am wrong. The main point I was trying to portray was that MK guys thought it would be okay to accommodate the DC franchise with the agreement that the game would have Teen rating, reduced amount of gore and offer watered down fatalities which are probably are more tame then the brutalities of old. When someone says MK, immediately I think of fatalities and a lot gore. Not what is on offer in MK vs DCU (imo).

The reason I have not been able to play the game is because I live in a part of africa where I can't rent the game first. Looking in the “bargain bin” was more of a statement that I was considering getting it second hand. I also feel that I would be contradicting myself with how unhappy I was with the idea in the first place. Initially, I did not say I would not buy the game at all but I said I needed to be convinced in my perception of what I expect in an MK game that it was a worthy purchase. All the way up to it's release as well as reading reviews, I am still not convinced.

The fact I have not been able to test the game first hand has meant that I have had to read several reviews (both critics and users) and watch countless web videos both of general combat and the storymode. I have seen every fatality on offer as well. I think that I have got as well rounded a view of the game as one can have without having actually played the game. Besides that I think there are facts that don't even require me to have seen a single screen shot (Teen rating and DC invasion). With regards to gameplay, I will give you the fact that I have not got a feel of how it plays but by watching videos, reading reviews and playing MK:A recently, the game play does not seem to have Ed Boon's “built from the ground up” new approach to it, which was meant to be a change. Looks like the same old stuff sugar coated with three mini games (one button mashing) and more tights and capes. Ultimately, it's all a matter of opinion. I am not saying it's wrong for a MK fan to absolutely love this game. I just don't :ciao:

False accusations? Hardly. You're just not man enough to admit when you're caught.

Caught? Yup, still crying. I always give credit where its do. Hence, I didnt need to give you credit for something that had nothing to do with you.

So why are YOU even here then? Practice what you preach, dude.

Well, didnt say i hate it, but until problems are fixed in it, its not the game it should be.

Exactly the kind of wiseass remark I was expecting.

Here is another: Dont you have some 3rd rate MK fan site to tend too? Why are you coming here to start BS and act childish?

One of the better things about MK Vs DCU is the fact that if you don't like the idea of it, then just don't play it. It's not cannon to the ongoing story of MK, and it's not cannon in the DC world either, so if you skip it you won't be missing any important developments in the story. So if you don't dig the idea of Sub Zero and Batman beating the crap out of each other then you can just ignore it and wait for the for the next real MK installment to be released.

That's the fun out most crossovers, they are not to be taken too seriously. This really is a "take it or leave it" stlyle game. But just for the record, it plays great. Gameplay-wise it is really setting us up for things to come.

lol, Are you still all butthurt about your false accusations?

I dont even like the game all THAT much. At least until a number of problems are fixed.

Thanks, drive thru.
Dont get me wrong Tim. I dont dislike the game. I dont think I dislike any MK game. The only thing that makes this game less appealing are the things that need to be fixed just like you stated. Thats something that I totally agree on with you.

I don't know... Considering MK was a game with what... 7 playable characters (did I miscount, sore memory right now its late at night) and two NPCs with one or two characters only know by NAME... We've got more on the MK side then previous games. And seriously, think back to the long list of complaints for MK:Arm. The only REAL complaint here is the opinion based on mixing another series with MK.

We owe the DC guys something no one's realised it - having them on the MK team seems to have FORCED the MK guys to make a good game. Sure they ran out of time, its clear that, but everything for the start of a clean slate is here in one game. This is a very different game to the orginal MK, sure some people won't like it... I maintain from experience even if this was a true MK game it wouldn't have been praised... But we should be aware MK likes to exeperiment, this is just one experiement.

Here is another: Dont you have some 3rd rate MK fan site to tend too? Why are you coming here to start BS and act childish?
Haha, me acting childish. That's rich. Maybe I comment on your attitude since that's usually the first thing I see when I come here. There was absolutely no reason to act like a dick to the author of this thread like you did.

And what's with the personal attacks? If my site's 3rd rate, explain why I get exclusives just like this site. Why I revealed superman and catwoman before anyone else. Why Midway invited me to E3. Why Midway sent me five MKvsDCU posters autographed by Ed Boon to give away. 3rd rate? Sure, if you say so.

Last edited:
TRZA ,

I don't think I have made any statement that would definitely have required to play this game, correct me if I am wrong. The main point I was trying to portray was that MK guys thought it would be okay to accommodate the DC franchise with the agreement that the game would have Teen rating, reduced amount of gore and offer watered down fatalities which are probably are more tame then the brutalities of old. When someone says MK, immediately I think of fatalities and a lot gore. Not what is on offer in MK vs DCU (imo).

The reason I have not been able to play the game is because I live in a part of africa where I can't rent the game first. Looking in the “bargain bin” was more of a statement that I was considering getting it second hand. I also feel that I would be contradicting myself with how unhappy I was with the idea in the first place. Initially, I did not say I would not buy the game at all but I said I needed to be convinced in my perception of what I expect in an MK game that it was a worthy purchase. All the way up to it's release as well as reading reviews, I am still not convinced.

The fact I have not been able to test the game first hand has meant that I have had to read several reviews (both critics and users) and watch countless web videos both of general combat and the storymode. I have seen every fatality on offer as well. I think that I have got as well rounded a view of the game as one can have without having actually played the game. Besides that I think there are facts that don't even require me to have seen a single screen shot (Teen rating and DC invasion). With regards to gameplay, I will give you the fact that I have not got a feel of how it plays but by watching videos, reading reviews and playing MK:A recently, the game play does not seem to have Ed Boon's “built from the ground up” new approach to it, which was meant to be a change. Looks like the same old stuff sugar coated with three mini games (one button mashing) and more tights and capes. Ultimately, it's all a matter of opinion. I am not saying it's wrong for a MK fan to absolutely love this game. I just don't :ciao:

The only point I'm making is that if you're going to criticize the fighting mechanics, you should at least give the game a play. It's vastly improved over the 3D trilogy.

Certainly, the MK team has had to make some concessions with this crossover. But as you'll quickly learn on these boards, there are those who advocate gameplay over aesthetics (i.e. additional content or an expansive story mode) and others who prefer a more well-rounded experience. I'm of the former camp, and this game is exceptionally fun.

konasumatra@gmail.com

You have made good points about the MK series being based on the philosophy that “you either accept that it is what it is or you don't” and that MK has never aspired to make a technical fighter. I actually never thought the projectile throwing element of MK would work well with fluid combo fighting of the likes of Soul Caliber or Dead or Alive. I have never expected that, but that fluidity of the animations could have been improved. But It seems very dangerous for Ed Boon assume that doing what ever he what with “his” fighting game will still allow him to keep people buying his games. Ultimately, he will still have to please potential buyers otherwise it will be the death of his game.

Don't get me wrong - like many others, I feel there's room for improvement. At the same time, I don't see alot of empirical evidence to suggest that Ed is listening as much as some people seem to think he is. I can't say I fault him - at the end of the day, MK has to be what *he* wants it to be and if that means he takes very minimal consideration from the fanbase, well, so be it. Right now, our input seems to be limited to "What characters do you want to see back?" He's great at bringing back characters and their special attacks and fatalities, but beyond that? I dunno, man.

As for your thought that it seems dangerous for Ed to keep doing what he wants, well... I don't need to look further than most of the latest Sonic the Hedgehog games or the prequel trilogy Star Wars movies for evidence of how that can be a possible outcome. At the same time, I don't think the last three MK games sold as badly as some forum dwellers seem to think they did - in fact, I think they probably sold pretty well. While MK is arguably Midway's greatest cash cow right now, it still has to sell well enough to justify additional installments in the series; that's just business logic. You don't give money for further development of games that sell terribly on market.

I may have not portrayed well just how much I have been following the MK series over the years. Although I have said that there are better rated fighting games out there, looking at may game catalog the only fighting game that I have bought consistently have been the MK games. There is still something that appeals to me about the MK characters and the brutality that they inflict on each other.

Again, no arguments here. I love Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Primal Rage, any of the SNK fighters, Virtua Fighter and Tekken but there's just something about MK that keeps me coming back. I know in the back of my head that MK doesn't have nearly as much meat on its bones as, say, Street Fighter 3 or any of the Soul Caliburs but that doesn't really faze me.

With regards to the game's back story, I don't believe that has ever been MK strong point or ever will be. In my opinion, fighters don't lend themselves well to a great storylines anyway. The difference is that some of other fighting games have not attempted to put much empathizes on a back story. I don't even think it is an issue; if I wanted a good back story from a game I would play a adventure or rpg game. It should purely be about knocking lumps out of each other. From what I remember Street Fighter vs Marvel did not even attempt to explain the reasons for Blanka facing off with Wolverine, correct me if I am wrong. It was considered to be a success.

Preaching to the choir, sir. I love MK's storylines and I love finding out what's happening to the kombatants, but it's hardly War and Peace. It's more integral to the single player experience - when I'm playing on my own, it's an nice supplemental feature. When multiplayer kicks up, though, yeah, I could really care less.

As much as MK's gore and fatalities may be getting old, its MK's defining feature (imo) and what sets them apart from almost every other fighting game. Once those elements are removed or watered down what is really left ? Guys in quirky costumes, copious amounts of projectile throwing and at best average fighting mechanics. There is also the opportunity for them to use their imagination and come up with new ones. They were probably afraid about just how graphic the fatalities would look on the next gen. In my eyes it's just not MK if you can't dismember, decapitate or forcibly remove internal body parts from a helpless victim who had just received a beat down. The MK vs DCU's fatalities just don't look satisfying. After watching them, I was like “ Is that it ?” expecting there to be more. Just imagine pulling off all your pro-moves and stringing all most every possible combo during a match. Wouldn't you love to rip out his spine or heart and hold it aloft like a trophy to cap off you victory.

I stand by what I said - I wish Fatalities were more on par with Quan Chi's MK4 leg rip beatdown, or maybe Shang Tsung's MK3 insta-spike impalement, or definitely Baraka's MK2 impalement. I want brutal. I thought Deadly Alliance and Deception had some winners in that department (key word here is "Some") but for the most part, I feel like MK's fatals are losing their punch.

That said, I agree that MK V. DC's finishers were mostly unsatisfying affairs. I'm glad they included *any* sort of finisher but... The moment I saw Superman doing Sheeva's MK3 pound into the ground fatal? Epic fail.

I am sure some people are just not bother with what Ed Boon does with “his” game. But crossovers and a more sanitized experience at the expense MK's M rating doesn't do it for me. DC fans must be loving this game after all there is next to nothing decent with regards to DC games available now. I am assuming Ed Boon had banked on DC fans to flocking to his game even if he lost MK fans along the way. I as much I am a fan on Superman (the old movies have a place in my heart) there is just something wrong with him facing Raiden. I think that the MK train has reached my stop and I will get off now. I will have to look for my blood lust elsewhere. Maybe Midway's Blitz: The League 2's graphic injuries will offer some satisfaction. :-D

I understand, man, and hey - you gotta do what you gotta do. I can't honestly say every effort from Ed and Company has knocked the ball out of the park. Far from it. I felt that Deception was their strongest effort to date (Armageddon was alright but didn't feel quite as complete a game as Deception). Then Ultimate MK came out on the DS and reminded me of how much I really enjoyed vintage MK. I still enjoy the occasional round of MKDA and MKD but when I play UMK, it'll stay in my DS slot for weeks, unchallenged. *Shrug*

Haha, me acting childish. That's rich. Maybe I comment on your attitude since that's usually the first thing I see when I come here. There was absolutely no reason to act like a dick to the author of this thread like you did.

Um, your post in here was an attack at me. You contributed nothing to this thread, other than flame. All I did was ask him what he meant by his post.

Childish? If not, trolling is a better term.

Midway gives a couple other sites exclusives too, and the only site worth my time is this one. Look at MKO. It got the Fight Night chatroom thing, and that site is garbage. The real players know this, just they know the Midway forums are garbage too.

So what was your point again, troll?

Wow this thread got a little out of hand.

I agree with Tim on the first post. It did not make much sense. Yes he was simply asking if we are still disappointed, but he worded it in a retarded way and he assumed we were all disappointed which it seems the majority is not and never was.

I did not read everything because most of it was way too long to bother. This is what I took from this all:

1. Tim can be an ahole; yes, but he still usually knows what he is talking about. Trust me I have seen both first hand many times here in the recent months.

2. Quaser guy - Probably had some very good posts here, but they were way tooooooooooooooo long. Calm down there buddy and simplify. You came here just to vent on a disappointment thread and end up writing a novel.

3. To the original poster: for me the disappointment has kicked in. The story mode was fun, but now there is nothing else to play besides a crappy online with cheaters.

I have bin a fan of MK since the first one for super NES.

I was so happy when the 2nd one came out same with the 3rd...and then I stopped playing for a while and ended up picking up deadly alliance and then Armageddon a few years back.

and now I bought Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (Kollector's Edition) for 360 :mrgreen: a few days ago and I must say I think it kicks ass...very fun so far I love the multiplayer I only did the story mode fighting on the MK side ..going to fight on DC side tomorrow night.

bottom line Im an old school mk fan and Im happy with this new game. :mrgreen:

-first post here aswell I never joined a MK forum in my life...this one looked nice so I joined. :canabis:

peaceee going to look around the forum more.

Drop the insult flinging. Everyone is completely entitled to express their opinion of this game, even if they don't like it. There's nothing wrong with openly discussing different views on a subject, but keep it civilized.

Um, your post in here was an attack at me. You contributed nothing to this thread, other than flame. All I did was ask him what he meant by his post.
Seriously dude, you need to tone down the attitude. Is it really that hard to figure out? He's simply asking if anyone is disappointed with the game.

And why does he have to absolutely love the game in order to play it or post here?
Ahhh, yes. Personal attacks and flaming indeed...:hmmmm2: :stupid:

Drop the insult flinging. Everyone is completely entitled to express their opinion of this game, even if they don't like it. There's nothing wrong with openly discussing different views on a subject, but keep it civilized.

What he said X10. Lets keep this civil and keep the personal attacks out of it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I expect everyone to respect that.

$ŁÈÉРΨ;146625 said:
bottom line Im an old school mk fan and Im happy with this new game. :mrgreen:

I agree. It's got the old school 2D feel that has been missing from the recent installments off MK. If boon and his boys continue in this direction of gameplay, then we could be in for a treat when the next installment of the MK continuity comes around. MK was built on 2D gaming, and that is the way it belongs. Bringing 2D action to a 3D arena usually spells disaster, but this one seems to have pulled it off quite well.

I am going to try and respond to posts about my recent comments. For the sake of jeary I will do my best to keep post to a minimum and to the point.

Jeary,

I could have said “Yeah, I am disappointed” without saying why. I decided it would be better to elaborate as to why I do not like this edition of one of my favorite game franchises. Your statement “Probably had some very good posts here” gives my the impression you may not have read my posts, if I am wrong, sorry. You could have either agreed or disagreed with what I had to say. I know my first post started out as a direct answer to the overall topic of the thread but it may have ended up as a rant directly aimed at Ed Boon and MK developers, I accept that. But other people on this thread found points for discussion even though they did not agree with what I had to say. So it was not a completely pointless rant. The aim was to stimulate a discussion, which I think it has.

TRZA ,

First off, I will say that you are completely right that I can't say that I have a good feel of how the game plays. The part I disagree on is whether someone can make a educated guess on how it plays based on previous experience playing of MK , numerous views of videos and comprehensive reviews on the game. There reviews especially gave some hints that clarified my initial suspicions. I also may have not made clear that my main gripe is that it does not “appear” that different from MK:A which I have played recently. These are some of the things that I know about the fighting experience without having played the game:

More open combo system allowing for more unique combos.
No more different stances (weapon or fighting styles)
Standard grapple replaced by Klose Kombat that allows increased damage and opportunity for a reversal.
Addition of freefall kombat (with added cinematic experience) for increased damage and opportunity for reversal.
Test your might (running through walls) for added damage.
More individual special moves for each character.
Rage meter allow for a period of increased damage and invulnerability to opponents attacks.
Looking at videos, MK appears to have a quicker pace to the combat.

I am not sure if I have missed anything. I have read that the mini games get old quickly after seeing them for the umpteen time, I guess that is a matter of opinion. I think that we just had different interpretations of what constitutes the new fighting mechanic that Ed Boon had put forward initially and thats okay.

konasumatra@gmail.com ,

We seem to agree on some points and at very least you sympathize with my perceptions of what is wrong about MK vs DCU.

One last point to everyone,

Looking at the number of times people have posted, is seems that vast majority have visited the site a few times. It leads me to believe that we all have something in common, in that we are either MK fans or at least have an interest in the MK franchise. That being said I can still see how the game still appeals to people irrespective of what I feel about the game. “Everyone is completely entitled to express their opinion of this game, even if they don't like it”, I couldn't have said it better myself DeathcoreRyknow.

Now, I just want to offer a review for people read. This guy and I have almost the exact same views on MK vs DCU. TRZA , I think he better expresses the issues I thought I could see with the fighting experience. True, it's just one review but I agree with it. Preach Brother, Preach.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?sys=xbox360&game=mk_vs_dcu

I am sorry Jeary. I tried, I just could not help myself. No more essay and novels from me :mrgreen:. Case closed from my point of view. Bring on Mortal Kombat 9. :ciao: