The Dragonball Evolution Movie Thread

Re: "Dragonball" Trailer Leaked

this trailer is a disaster! does this involve uwe boll some how? awe and annihilations= feces. i still watch it to feel accomplished in my life. even though i'm currently doing nothing with myself this movie reminds me that nothing is sometimes better than something. :mrgreen:

Meh. I liked it. But that was before I was an MK fanboy. I still haven't seen the first movie. Care to help?

Dude, you never seen the first MK movie? Really?:-o

Check youtube man, tons of people post movies on there 10 minutes at a time. It's awesome.

But yeah, @ the dude asking about MKA...the second one sucked because the dope who did it messed up everything...storyline, characters such as ohh say Ermac and Noob(who have nothing to do with each other in the games canon storyline) cheesy script, acting and Shao Kahn and Raiden being brothers?!? err.....okey dokey.

I can go on but yeah lol you get the point.

Has the guy playing Piccolo decided to let them green skin him up yet? I'm too afriad to even look at things related to this movie, but I know he played Brainiac in Smallville and if he didn't play Brainiac as green skinned, I'm not going to be suprised if he doesn't play Piccy as green skinned either. Gosh... I really am afriad of what hollywood is going to do to this and I absolultely hate DB.

Edit:

I dared to watch... WTF??? I was correct... no green skin. Thats twice that guy's played a green skinned character and not been greened up. ¬_¬'

Edit:

If he was green it didn't notice at least.

Edit:

All they've gotten correct so far is Bulma's hairstyle and that they are called "dragonballs" and the characters names.

Edit:

The reason why most things are pulled apart is that Hollywood has to fit certain things into a movie; xxx minutes of special effects, for example. Reason being; if you don't use the special effects guys, they don't have a job. Certain things happen in movies because its standard for the industry, and Hollywood has a heart attack when something like Wallis and Grommit; Curse of the were-Rabbit comes along that uses little effect effects at all.

Secondly, these guy do their research - but they don't read the series. They look up who the characters are, but never take time to study the series itself. Simple concepts like the first MK movie, okay MK1 was a simple game so the movie couldn't go far wrong. But get the more complex stuff in and Hollywood suddenly can't handle it hence: MK:A.

Thirdly, these guys have "visions" of what they want for the movie. They are trying to please a world wide audience, so they try to universify it by making it lots of common grounds with other movies. They have a set "win" formula that they are convinced will work for any movie, you can't break them out of that formula, it doesn't happen.

When Hollywood makes up films from scratch, the results are win. When Hollywood has to convert something else to its formula, thats when it sucks.

Last edited:

Idk, comic book movies have made amazing strides. I see no reason why that can't apply to anime/manga or video game adaptations. And anyways, I was under the impression claymation was ALL special effects. Isn't making something that can't happen look like it's happening the definition of special effects?

The only special effects the guys used in W + G was on the clouds in the sky (couldn't use their normal cotton bud routine this time round) and certain parts that was impossible to do with clay. BTW, its plasticine not clay they use. And on Hollywood's terms, special effects are things that go "boom!", flash or are computer generated. Its not a special effect unless you attempt to add add sparkle to something. So W + G's PLASTICINE (I'm not going to let you sleep tonight on that Glamador) don't count by Hollywood's terms as special effects, just the computer generated stuff and a few other minor extras.

Comic book stories usually make better films because of several reasons:
#Manga and Animes go into depth to explain things, storyline arc can last half a year consisting about 20 chapters.
#American Comic book story arcs, the longest I've seen is Legion of Super Heroes mega "15 issue" arc and that nearly killed Legion going it (Jim Shooter's worst moment).
#ACB's are drawn in a more realistic style, while manga are drawn in a more expressive and graphical way
#While more and more people accept and love "Anime" and manga, for every lover theres about 3 haters. Bright haired characters are hard to sell in the West, every Anime fan has to accept Japanese culture just doesn't appeal to everyone, just as the Japanese are already fully aware not all of them like Western culture. ^_-
#The West's ideas of Japanese culture, manga and anime is generally different to begin with then the actauly Japanese culture. I'm going to be comparing the film to the previous Live-Action DBZ footage that I'll cut off there because we're not suppose to be discussing it and I have no youtube links to provide on the matter and it was made in China anyway, which still makes it a non-Japanese intepretation but its still the closet thing thats going to be to the actualy Japanese series. And if you have air left in your lungs after that long sentance, congrats.
# If you don't start from the moment "go!" with sticking to the orginal intended ideas behind the series, you might as well not attempt the film. Before even the trailer was released, I saw the casting and the first taster images on a site. I didn't think it looked DBZish, and the trailer shows its not.
#There is nothing to indicate this was orginally a Japanese storyline/manga at all. In fact this could be any movie, but it happens to have elements of the orginal series storyline in it and they've labelled it as "Dragonball". Mind you, its no different to how they've done this sort of thing. Mario Brothers was orginally Japanese and we've had a film on them. The American TV cartoon series wasn't a bad attempt... But the film was from complete scratch and though its a good film, like this, its not Mario Brothers it just carries the title and has common characters in it. Mario Brother's though, you can get away with anything because their Italian strickly speaking so you dn't even have to HAVE Japanese influence there. But a VERY Japanese series is different.
#We have guy who has blonde hair when the character has black... We have a blue-haired girl who is now blonde, Mai is also the wrong colour and strangely the only eastern cast girl out of the cast not including the Master Ro-whatever (can't spell his name).

Who's Mai? I don't know this person. Bulma, Chichi, Launch, 18, Pan, Videl, various female villains...was Mai one of the various female villains?

Anyway, what you've said about "special effects" is completely inaccurate. The word you're looking for doesn't exist. Hollywood's tendencies towards explosions and CGI might warrant a new word, but AFAIK it doesn't have one.

But what I'm trying to say is, special effects are ANYTHING that isn't purely people being filmed on camera. Giant animatronic dinosaurs are special effects, green screens are special effects, claymation is a special effect (Even if it's done with PLASTICINE it's the same process as claymation). I know this because movies had special effects LONG before CGI and C4 came around. Remember the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz? No CGI there. And that movie is OLD.

The term "Special Effects" changes with day and age. These days, what I've said is correct, true, in the past "Special Effects" were different (E.g. random light flashes to inicate lightning is an old special effect). For one thing, most of the SE we use now didn't exist then so SE wre minor and unnoticable. And no, the clay models don't count as special effects, they have the same rating as puppets which also don't count as special effects.

But I'd like to stop there, because we've gone off topic on the matter and I really don't want to discuss it too much. If you want to create a new topic and argue about it, fine, we'll argue there, but right now... But I'm bored of internet arguments, because I've seen too many things over little things like this. In short, I'd rather not get involved in them more then I have to. ^_-

And on Mai...

http://www.uruloki.org/felipeblog/imagesflickr/20071215_tamuramai.jpg

God, she is a nobody character so why they've chosen her is beyond me.

they couldnt have found ONE body builder with enough acting skills to play goku?That kid from ??that movie where he dies-ish... is like 80 ****in pounds!AHG

Ah so I was right in thinking she was one of the various female villains. She's not a nobody character though, she was one of the trio of ever-returning villains in Dragonball always at the side of Emporer Pilaf. But wait...emperor PILAF!? Tell me HE'S not in this movie! He's Dragonball stuff! This is Dragonball Z! Z I TELL YOU!

Hmm...you have a point. But if that's the case then Goku should be like, 10-12 and this should be a comedy.

No, go away, you're a bot, it's Son Goku.

Another bot somewhere? lol

Anywho, one of my best buds is a huge DBZ even he was saying this movie looks like crap but I'm curious to see how much of the canon storyline they actually do. Usually, as most know the vid game or cartoon movies these days tend to sway off from the original series at times....we'll have to see.

Dude, huge DBZ fans will probably be the highest percentage of people calling this movie crap. It's only the people who ARN'T fans of DBZ that will think it's awesome.

lol, true ^ just my opinion here but they never should have went with the live actor movie route. Instead I think some kind of animated movie, CGI or something would have been much better. I just have a hard time picturing some of these guys mimicking what they do in the cartoon shows you know?

With DC and Marvel, video games etc it's a bit different because most of the time they're real people for the most part. Know what I mean?

I remember when Transformers was first announced, it was a huge gamble but winded up being damn good. This one however..ehhh lol

Yea right, damn good for a non-fan maybe. I thought the Transformers movie should have been called something else. So many people try to take franchises "in a new direction". But that's not the point now is it? The TF movie simply was NOT Transformers. They even got Peter Cullen and everything but they still ****ed it up.

Entertaining movie on it's own though, just not TF.

I totally disagree....and am a transformer fan, I think they did the best they could. My only thing was that they should have gotten Frank Welker to play Megatron, other then that no issues what so ever. Cullen killed his part well as he did in the cartoons and even most people out there left Transformers did well overall, I mean I've read some rather trivial or laughable things complained about like...say the fact that Bumble Bee was a Camaro instead of an oldschool Volkswagon...because in a movie in this time, that simply would have been more difficult to address. Plus, he was still yellow so really...

The story concept stayed true to the original concept which is all that matters in the ultimate scheme of things. Besides if it DIDN'T do well, you wouldn't see a sequel demanded which is already being worked on btw.

Did I say it didn't do well? No I did not. But frankly, the movie was nothing close to being true to the plot. For one thing, the HUMANS stole all the screen time. Spike was a SIDE CHARACTER in the TV series. What's more, the Decepticons weren't looking for a crazy life-giving cube, they were searching for a planet with enough stores of energon to fuel their planet-wide war. Hell, Megatron had hardly any speaking lines in the movie. They didn't look like themselves, they didn't act like themselves (BB freaking peed on a guy), and the plot wasn't anything close.

Look at the writing and dialogue. References to masturbation? Was that needed? Megatron talking about smelling young Witwicky during their chase when he doesn't have a nose? COLD being his weakness when the depths of space LACK HEAT!? The whole movie was nonsense.

That said, I quite enjoyed it. It's just, too many people take a well-known franchise, make it their own, and cash in a ready-made fan-base that they have no right to when they arn't holding true to the spirit of their source material. If you're going to make a movie for fans and expect their support, then do that. You shouldn't use people like they do.

Did I say it didn't do well? No I did not. But frankly, the movie was nothing close to being true to the plot. For one thing, the HUMANS stole all the screen time. Spike was a SIDE CHARACTER in the TV series. What's more, the Decepticons weren't looking for a crazy life-giving cube, they were searching for a planet with enough stores of energon to fuel their planet-wide war. Hell, Megatron had hardly any speaking lines in the movie. They didn't look like themselves, they didn't act like themselves (BB freaking peed on a guy), and the plot wasn't anything close.

Look at the writing and dialogue. References to masturbation? Was that needed? Megatron talking about smelling young Witwicky during their chase when he doesn't have a nose? COLD being his weakness when the depths of space LACK HEAT!? The whole movie was nonsense.

That said, I quite enjoyed it. It's just, too many people take a well-known franchise, make it their own, and cash in a ready-made fan-base that they have no right to when they arn't holding true to the spirit of their source material. If you're going to make a movie for fans and expect their support, then do that. You shouldn't use people like they do.

I know, I know man lol just saying. Perhaps I got the wrong idea slightly with your last post. I got the vibe you meant it didn't do well since you didn't like it that much as far as compared to the original plot. I believe sometimes in certain shows like this aside from the Director adding things or taking them out, they have something to work with and do the best they can do to be as accurate as possible. Example, I agree with you about the unnecessary stuff like masturbation etc lol but look at Optimus, I thought he looked dead on couldn't be better IMO. Megatron, I agree I forgot to add to that my last post. I felt they should have made him a Gun or something more original looking. I didn't like that whole organic monster look or whatever you wish to call it lol. Thats' what I'm calling it lol. That aside, Megatron only had little screen/voice time due to the plot of him being frozen but I do agree he should have had more voice time but still feel IMO they should have gotten Welker or even David Kaye. I wasn't into Hugo's Megatron that much, not saying he did a bad job I just know Megatron as Welker or Kaye you know? As a Transformer fan yourself, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I think the plot was pretty close but not "word for word" if you will, I admit Spike and the humans had a lot of screen time and that is a good point, but you also have to remember, this is a real life movie so to just have Transformers pop up out of nowhere, with no human connection either way would be kind of rushed and not well thought out IMO. That cube honestly I felt was more or less an equivalent mission to the fuel they were seeking in the cartoon series. That was what they were going for anyway. I'm sure if they would have went for the whole ok let's have these robots come and do immediate battle and ignore the humans or have little time, people would have complained about that(most likely outside fans of Transformers) which would be a lot since a lot of non fans checked this movie out, know what I mean? So I think that's kind of a double edged sword, damned if you do...damned if you don't. I liked it overall though.

I think they did that because it was the first Transformers movie, but no worries man. Next one I'm sure will have way more Transformer battles, fights etc I hope.

We'll see though:mrgreen:

Well this new one has at least one alternator, soundwave, and devastator. That's awesome enough for me.

Also, I forgot to mention how little Starscream resembled himself. Pretty much none of the TFs got any character development or backstory. It was all about the humans and their petty problems.