Awesome new Gameplay, interview on Gamespot gotta see!

@SNOW, yep dude hehe you weren't seeing things. I thought I was the only one to notice that, that's freaking insane you saw the detail and that huge gorey hold in Scorpion's chest showing his bloody skeleton, yuck lol. Looked awesome, did you and did you also notice part of his ninja Gi was ripped off, hanging

I actually just noticed that, and I must say it looks awesome!

why not 2-D?

And why in the hell would you want the game to be anything like DOA? Of all the shitty 3-D fighters, DOA is the worst. Shit even SC & Tekken are crap in my book. The only 3-D fighter that ever felt right was VF, and even then, its still 3-D. :rolleyes:

I don't want the game to be like doa, but doa rocks!Hard!And tekken is the f**kin' shit as well.I would say VF was the one thats kind of..meh.WTF is so wrong with 3D?

I don't want the game to be like doa, but doa rocks!Hard!And tekken is the f**kin' shit as well.I would say VF was the one thats kind of..meh.WTF is so wrong with 3D?

No, Tekken IS shit. So is DOA & SC. 3 of the most overrated series in any genre, IMO.

Clunky play, slow, no fluid movemets, I just cant stand the way 3-D fighters play.

Hopefully SFIV, TvC & MKvDC change that a bit.

No, Tekken IS shit. So is DOA & SC. 3 of the most overrated series in any genre, IMO.
Clunky play, slow, no fluid movemets, I just cant stand the way 3-D fighters play.

Honestly, I gotta agree with you on that Tim. I, personally, am not a fan of most 3-d fighters. They just don't seem to capture the fast paced action that i loved so much in the 2-D fighters of old. (Probably why I still to this day play Guilty Gear games on PS2)

Um, not to sound like a complete idiot or anything, but what is TvC?

Honestly, I gotta agree with you on that Tim. I, personally, am not a fan of most 3-d fighters. They just don't seem to capture the fast paced action that i loved so much in the 2-D fighters of old. (Probably why I still to this day play Guilty Gear games on PS2)

I feel the same way. There is just something about 2-D fighters that just gets me off. Not sure what it is, other than the fact thats what I played growing up. I love my MK 2-Ds, but Iabsolutely adore Capcom, especially Street Fighter, VS series, Darkstalkers & the Marvels. I also love KI too ;)

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Me n Tim got a thread on it in the other games section. Looks awesome.

Yup tis true.

Actually, the only 2 games that got me pumped up MORE than MKvDC is SFIV & TvC.

Well, the 3D fighting genre is kind of a skeleton operation, and the four pillars supporting it are the above mentioned titles, as well as VF. I'd be more prone to agree that they're overrated if there were more companies willing to break new ground and establish new 3D fighting franchises. As it stands, those titles are pretty good and keep their 3D competitors innovative.

2D fighters are great, but the best ones tend to borrow a lot from the Street Fighter style. There are also a TON more to choose from. Granted, the SNK games have evolved into their own style, and Guilty Gear is probably the most innovative "new game on the block," but they adhere to, for the most part, a tried-and-true formula. I've no problem with this; Third Strike and Accent Core are the best fighting games on the market as of now, even if I'm not great at either of them.

They're simply two different beasts. I disagree that 3D fighters are clunky and lack fluidity. If anything, the best series in the genre, VF, exemplifies your complaint more than the others. It's always been criticized as being far too slow and stiff, and has always utilized stringent buffering. DOA and SC are the opposite end of the spectrum: timing and efficient striking, as well as spacing, are the most important aspects of gameplay, rather than long, technical combos. All in all, for the few number of games representing the 3D fighting genre, those titles do a pretty fine job of offering diverse gameplay and unique fighting engines.

Well, the 3D fighting genre is kind of a skeleton operation, and the four pillars supporting it are the above mentioned titles, as well as VF. I'd be more prone to agree that they're overrated if there were more companies willing to break new ground and establish new 3D fighting franchises. As it stands, those titles are pretty good and keep their 3D competitors innovative.

2D fighters are great, but the best ones tend to borrow a lot from the Street Fighter style. There are also a TON more to choose from. Granted, the SNK games have evolved into their own style, and Guilty Gear is probably the most innovative "new game on the block," but they adhere to, for the most part, a tried-and-true formula. I've no problem with this; Third Strike and Accent Core are the best fighting games on the market as of now, even if I'm not great at either of them.

They're simply two different beasts. I disagree that 3D fighters are clunky and lack fluidity. If anything, the best series in the genre, VF, exemplifies your complaint more than the others. It's always been criticized as being far too slow and stiff, and has always utilized stringent buffering. DOA and SC are the opposite end of the spectrum: timing and efficient striking, as well as spacing, are the most important aspects of gameplay, rather than long, technical combos. All in all, for the few number of games representing the 3D fighting genre, those titles do a pretty fine job of offering diverse gameplay and unique fighting engines.

Well, there is a reason I didnt mention the VF series, but it still has its problems, and does not play like or up to the abilities of 2-D fighters.

3-D fighters LOOK great, but after playing most of these games, you start to wonder if thats all they cared about. No 3-D fighter competes with any of the best 2-d fighters, not at all.

Yea, I don't like long elaborate combos. I find them stupid and unrealistic (I use that word sparingly, as there's no such thing as realism in a video game, not really). Soul Calibur is my favorite 3D fighter because of exactly what was said above. It's about spacing and proper timing and "efficient striking" (I do like that term). I was never good at long combos in MK either.

Yea, I don't like long elaborate combos. I find them stupid and unrealistic (I use that word sparingly, as there's no such thing as realism in a video game, not really). Soul Calibur is my favorite 3D fighter because of exactly what was said above. It's about spacing and proper timing and "efficient striking" (I do like that term). I was never good at long combos in MK either.

I loved the combos. In previous games and online, that separated the good players from the great players.

Now, MKDC is a totally different game, which is not a bad thing. But the fighting does look slower, which may be better or worse. Well find out once we play it obviously.

Aw man I totally missed the exposed skeleton! I'll have to watch again. As for your 3D hate Tim, that's your issue. I for one love 3D fighters so we'll see how it compares for we fans of that genre.

But MKF30...are you kidding me with that stuff about Supes brutality? It's original because one has arms showing and one doesn't? Don't make excuses here, I don't mind that it's unoriginal but jeez don't make up stuff when there's barely any difference.

I just hope story mode is REALLY in-depth and lengthy. They did say there could be multiple endings etc. which means more replayability for me. And Boon said that he WANTS 2 finishers per character but time MIGHT not allow. So you can get your hopes up, but don't be dissapointed too much if it turns out badly.

No, I'm not making excuses or such. I'm saying that if you follow Superman as I have over the years, he would do something like that or similar. These people that want Superman to "laster someones head off" or punch a hold their someone have no clue what Superman's about obviously....this is just MK fan ignorance which I've seen tons of in general but seriously, it's not unoriginal. It's very original given Superman's character and who he is. I recommend you learn more about the character.:-D

I won't be disappointed, I like what I see so far and I'm optimistic as oppose to always negative like some people out there

BTW, guys yeah I agree Tekken, VF and DOA are way freaking overrated....they're all also similar especially VF and Tekken....very boring IMO

MK and SF I've always been a fan of, 2D mechanic rules except that game GG I think that game sucks honestly lol. KI was alright, like a combination of MK and SF honestly...

BTW, guys check out this video from this thread that a friend of mine who I've played online in past MK's at high level found. Good find

There's running dash move now, so this game will not be slow and clunky at all...

http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=115399&page=1

Last edited:
I loved the combos. In previous games and online, that separated the good players from the great players.

No, not really. Lag and exploiting the broken elements of the games have been the difference online. Anybody can do combos, but doing them in a match is another thing....

No, I'm not making excuses or such. I'm saying that if you follow Superman as I have over the years, he would do something like that or similar. These people that want Superman to "laster someones head off" or punch a hold their someone have no clue what Superman's about obviously....this is just MK fan ignorance which I've seen tons of in general but seriously, it's not unoriginal. It's very original given Superman's character and who he is. I recommend you learn more about the character.:-D

I won't be disappointed, I like what I see so far and I'm optimistic as oppose to always negative like some people out there

BTW, guys yeah I agree Tekken, VF and DOA are way freaking overrated....they're all also similar especially VF and Tekken....very boring IMO

MK and SF I've always been a fan of, 2D mechanic rules except that game GG I think that game sucks honestly lol. KI was alright, like a combination of MK and SF honestly...

BTW, guys check out this video from this thread that a friend of mine who I've played online in past MK's at high level found. Good find

There's running dash move now, so this game will not be slow and clunky at all...

http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=115399&page=1

VF is the best of the 3-D fighters, but yeah, it still has its problems, but the series is head & shoulders above Tekken, DOA & SC.

And good find on the run button. ;)

I wonder if Ed reads the forums at UltimateMK.com lol

No, not really. Lag and exploiting the broken elements of the games have been the difference online. Anybody can do combos, but doing them in a match is another thing....

Yes, but assuming you have a solid match with no problems, and its two random players that are both "good." The one who can perform combos will prevail rather than the player who does consistent special moves followed by an uppercut or something along that line rather than combos.

Being able to perform consistent combos during matchplay separated the average from the great players imo. This dates back to MK3 in the arcades. I remember seeing guys do crazy combos and kick everyones ass.

Yeah, no prob Tim:mrgreen: yeah dude I'm so happy the run/dash/offensive mechanic is back hehe. You're right even games like VF and Tekken have some issues.

@Jeary, yeah I love MK3/UMK3 I own with Ermac and Cyrax he, he has some crazy ass combos. Especially Ermmy

I've played Tim from here:-D fun player, I remember Tim used C. Sub I think and some other characters

But yeah, this is great news. ohh and there's also the wake up to stay on the ground back again.

Yeah but you all keep forgetting while you fans may enjoy 2-Dness fighting games... The critics keep pushing all companies to go 3D and stay 3D.

On other fighting games, SC2 was more enjoyable then SC3. Tiara was the only good addition to the series as she was the only unqie thing about it. DOA is boring, Tekken is even worst.

MK biggest merit so far is Ed Boon's + co's willingness to try and experiment on what will and won't work. Its about the only series trying this. You know, even if its not great a lot of the other fighting series out there use pretty much the same game over and over, the machine gets tweaked yet it never changes.

Then again, what do you prefer, game mechanics that are constantly being perfected or a game that constantly trying to ee what works and doesn't. One will either work for your tastes or won't tickle your intereasts at all, the other may either be a hit or a failure. I like the SC series because its mechanics work for me, yet I for the love of me can't bring myself to love DOA or Tekken. :-/

That keeps reminding how really the industry still comes down to just two games after all these years - SF and MK. Sure you have SC, DOA, Tekken, etc, buts its always going to be about these two games. The others could disappear tomorrow and no one would miss them, but if SF and/or MK went they'd talk about it for weeks. Their also opposites of the same genre.

SF is decent enough to warrent squels but exploited to the point where the series lost its charms long ago. Too much doing things for the fans... Too much reprinting virtaully the same crap (I know there are changes, but its still the same game pretty much, faster, slicker but still the dam same!). But its points are its willingness TO expoilt itself, allow its fans to love it and let it build up strength. It can do Vs. stuff and get away with it.

I guess after this is still is yet to remain if or if not the constantly revamping MK series can pull off the Vs. business. We'll find out though.

Question... How did we all end up talking about the 3D fighting games? This topic was for that video. Lol. :p

Edit:

I never saaw the need for the dash ability in MK3. If its in the game... Or not... Doesn't bother me. :-/

Yeah but you all keep forgetting while you fans may enjoy 2-Dness fighting games... The critics keep pushing all companies to go 3D and stay 3D.

On other fighting games, SC2 was more enjoyable then SC3. Tiara was the only good addition to the series as she was the only unqie thing about it. DOA is boring, Tekken is even worst.

MK biggest merit so far is Ed Boon's + co's willingness to try and experiment on what will and won't work. Its about the only series trying this. You know, even if its not great a lot of the other fighting series out there use pretty much the same game over and over, the machine gets tweaked yet it never changes.

Then again, what do you prefer, game mechanics that are constantly being perfected or a game that constantly trying to ee what works and doesn't. One will either work for your tastes or won't tickle your intereasts at all, the other may either be a hit or a failure. I like the SC series because its mechanics work for me, yet I for the love of me can't bring myself to love DOA or Tekken. :-/

That keeps reminding how really the industry still comes down to just two games after all these years - SF and MK. Sure you have SC, DOA, Tekken, etc, buts its always going to be about these two games. The others could disappear tomorrow and no one would miss them, but if SF and/or MK went they'd talk about it for weeks. Their also opposites of the same genre.

SF is decent enough to warrent squels but exploited to the point where the series lost its charms long ago. Too much doing things for the fans... Too much reprinting virtaully the same crap (I know there are changes, but its still the same game pretty much, faster, slicker but still the dam same!). But its points are its willingness TO expoilt itself, allow its fans to love it and let it build up strength. It can do Vs. stuff and get away with it.

I guess after this is still is yet to remain if or if not the constantly revamping MK series can pull off the Vs. business. We'll find out though.

Question... How did we all end up talking about the 3D fighting games? This topic was for that video. Lol. :p

Edit:

I never saaw the need for the dash ability in MK3. If its in the game... Or not... Doesn't bother me. :-/

Believe me as a competitive player who's played online, off and just in general the running move/dash in MK3, UMK3 and MK4 was very important. It made the game more balanced and aggressive and not just a "turtle fest" like MK2, SF II etc, etc.

I say honestly they should do whatever works and whatever majority of "the fans" want, in which case is the more oldschool, back to it's roots in MK's cases. Even SF4, both look 3d but will play 2D(SF4 full 2D with 3D animations) but MK8 aka MK vs. DC will actually play both 2D and the option to play 3D, so this is a 3D game. If you watch some of the GS videos with Boon covering and explaining the game more vividly, you'll clearly see the 3D movement. It's just they give you that option which is good homestly.

It's also gives you 3D tactics which are important to 3D play, wake ups, kounters, stay on the ground after being knocked down wake up and the newer running dash so this game won't be a full 2D game, it's not entirely 3D but more of a perfect balance of both.

Just note, the critics just like anyone else are only ones opinions and you know what they say about those right?

I'd worry more about the fans rather then critics, critics will critic it's their job so in that sense I'd say their views should be taken with a grain of salt and have the developers listen to what "the fans want" not the people who judge the game and get paid to post their opinion. Chances are those people also don't know much about gameplay to begin with but rather or not they like the game they're judging.

But yeah man, MK and SF will always be the first 2 fighters of oldschool to be mentioned when it comes to true 2D fighters and fighters in general. Tekken, VF and DOA are all too similar to each other while MK and SF although both started out 2D are very different, unique from each other.

Interesting that you would say SF just likes to re-release the same game repolished Angel...I see that happeneing with MK1/MK2 and MK3/UMK3/MKT and MKDA/MKD/MKA. I also see it happening with Soul Calibur (but they do it RIGHT). I see it with Guilty Gear. I see it with Super Smash Bros. too. I can't say anything for Tekken, DoA, or Virtua Fighter as I've never gotten into those series (and I downright hate Tekken). But I think every fighter has to do some tuning. If they just release a fighting game and then move on to something totally new every time then all we're gonna see is one half-finished game followed by another. I loved MK1, but I like MK2 better. I loved MKDA, but I like MKD better. I loved SC2...and well I kinda liked SC3 a little less but I'll edit this post when I've played SC4!.

The point is a good fighter, be it 2D OR 3D, cannot come out of the womb perfect. And you can't always fix it with DLC or patches either. Try something new or not, I think Boon is right to only re-invent MK every 3 games or so. Any more often than that and MK would dissapear.

That's because these two series are the oldest and thus most well-known, not because they're necessarily the best. If you'd simply take a look around the internet, you'd see that a lot of people seem to be moving beyond SF or MK. Sure, this latest MK outing is doing a lot to draw fans - new and old - back into the fold, but that doesn't mean that MK is the epitome of perfection. And tons of people are decrying the fact that SF4 seems to be a backwards step for the series, and after watching some gameplay, I'm inclined to agree with them. The 2D genre has matured to the point where there are a plethora of quality games out there, and the death of a single franchise won't topple the genre. The same can't yet be said of 3D fighters, but things are always changing.

In sum, I'd say you're making a vast overstatement.

Believe me as a competitive player who's played online, off and just in general the running move/dash in MK3, UMK3 and MK4 was very important. It made the game more balanced and aggressive and not just a "turtle fest" like MK2, SF II etc, etc.

I say honestly they should do whatever works and whatever majority of "the fans" want, in which case is the more oldschool, back to it's roots in MK's cases. Even SF4, both look 3d but will play 2D(SF4 full 2D with 3D animations) but MK8 aka MK vs. DC will actually play both 2D and the option to play 3D, so this is a 3D game. If you watch some of the GS videos with Boon covering and explaining the game more vividly, you'll clearly see the 3D movement. It's just they give you that option which is good homestly.

It's also gives you 3D tactics which are important to 3D play, wake ups, kounters, stay on the ground after being knocked down wake up and the newer running dash so this game won't be a full 2D game, it's not entirely 3D but more of a perfect balance of both.

Very true. The Run button might have been the most important feature added to the series since the Fatalities. No joke.

It put the outcome of the match in your hands. Do I attack? Yes, rush in, cause havoc. Should I zone, and throw some projectiles? Sure. But the best thing about the run button was 1. Run Jabs, which totally changed the way the game was played 2. You could bait those whom were too trigger happy and just punish the crap out of them.

MK3 was the start, UMK3 made it as close to perfect.

UMK3 is the holy mecca of MK gameplay, period.

Too bad Trilogy totally took it, twisted and ruined it, lol. :(

Interesting that you would say SF just likes to re-release the same game repolished Angel...I see that happeneing with MK1/MK2 and MK3/UMK3/MKT and MKDA/MKD/MKA. I also see it happening with Soul Calibur (but they do it RIGHT). I see it with Guilty Gear. I see it with Super Smash Bros. too. I can't say anything for Tekken, DoA, or Virtua Fighter as I've never gotten into those series (and I downright hate Tekken). But I think every fighter has to do some tuning. If they just release a fighting game and then move on to something totally new every time then all we're gonna see is one half-finished game followed by another. I loved MK1, but I like MK2 better. I loved MKDA, but I like MKD better. I loved SC2...and well I kinda liked SC3 a little less but I'll edit this post when I've played SC4!.

The point is a good fighter, be it 2D OR 3D, cannot come out of the womb perfect. And you can't always fix it with DLC or patches either. Try something new or not, I think Boon is right to only re-invent MK every 3 games or so. Any more often than that and MK would dissapear.

Good points.

It actually took Capcom 3 tries to get SF3 right, for example. SF3: A New Generation was good, but not great. SF3: Double Impact brought in a couple new characters, but the gameplay still wasnt where it should have been. And then, bam! SF3: Third Strike, which is regarded, not just by me, but most of the fans and hardcore fans of the fighting genre, as the best 2-D fighter ever made.

They never get it right the first time. This is why the arcade MK's were better overall games because they used that format to put the product out, fine tune it more, released a new upgrade rom to be installed on every cab's jamma board, and would still continue to improve it, until the company would finally released a final version. Example: MKII had released Revision 1.1, 1.2, 2.1 & the final Rv3.1.

That's because these two series are the oldest and thus most well-known,not because they're necessarily the best. If you'd simply take a look around the internet, you'd see that a lot of people seem to be moving beyond SF or MK. Sure, this latest MK outing is doing a lot to draw fans - new and old - back into the fold, but that doesn't mean that MK is the epitome of perfection. And tons of people are decrying the fact that SF4 seems to be a backwards step for the series, and after watching some gameplay, I'm inclined to agree with them. The 2D genre has matured to the point where there are a plethora of quality games out there, and the death of a single franchise won't topple the genre. The same can't yet be said of 3D fighters, but things are always changing.

In sum, I'd say you're making a vast overstatement.

Its not a vast overstatement. No fighting series is as big as Street Fighter, period. In Japan America, outer-space, no matter. And look at what happened when MKvDC was annoucned? It made noise. LOTS of noise. Why? Because its MORTAL KOMBAT. These 2 franchises are the SOLE reason why anybody plays anyothers fighters. They are the Pepsi & Coke of the genre. Others drink Mountain Dew, some Dr Pepper. But they all drink soda. ;)

And sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no plethora of quality 2-D fighters. Most are garbage, but still fun to play. (Guilty Gear) Some are just not very good, but a blast to play (World Heroes). Some are pretty good, but arent even the best games of the series (MKII, SF2:CE). There are good ones, but I know with todays technology, better ones could be made.

Last edited: