New Trailer MK VS DC

Honestly this does not look that much better than ps2. Go look at the detail of snake from MGS4. This game looks like crap compared to that.

ok smartass i just didnt watch the HD one first, and when i did watch it it still looks barely better than Armageddon.

The graphics dont look freaking awesome. They look average at best for PS3, with near identical fighting system used for Armageddon.

Its been how many years since deadly alliance and they have only barely upgraded since then.

Are you kidding me? They're upgraded lots. You must be blind as a bat or worse then...and I'm noticing the "countless people here" agreeing with you as well...ohh wait, there are none.

Perhaps you were 2 rooms away from your television? Because 98% of fans love the graphics....after seeing most responces on forums MK related...

lol, relax dude just accept the fact that the graphics look awesome. What the hell do you want? It's next gen, nuff said.......they do look rather awesome.

Average? not really but whatever lol. The fighting system is nothing like MKA's....that's why they said directly there's no more constant 50/50's high's, mids and lows within the gameplay but just high's and lows, more like the older MK games. It's a 3D MK 2. Like I said, I play these games online competitively, the gameplay is nothing like MKAs......

Definately, I can see the resemblance here.. :lol:

mkdc.jpg

mkdc2-1.jpg

mortal-kombat-armageddon-2006022403.jpg

mortal-kombat-armageddon-2006022-1.jpg

...Please be reasonable next time you criticize something!

Nice dude! : )

Ha, Ha yeah...I'm seeing they're soooo much "alike" nice one ^ : )

One would have to be blind or just a hater blinded by fanboyism NOT to see there's drastic difference.

Parts of the gameplay from the SpikeTV episode look nearly photorealistic. And as fighting games go, this one looks as good as if not better than SC4, VF5, DOA4, and the like.

As to the gameplay, you can't possibly know if it's "identical" because you've not played a build of it yet. Please stop comparing it to last generation's graphics (and the PS2, at that), because that is simply hyperbole and you're coming off as a PS3 fanboy.

Ha, ha I have two words. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
98% of MK fans on this site love the graphics. Go look at other video game forums where they are still ripping this game apart.

Those screenshots are the ones they released in an attempt to impress everyone right off the bat. This is the first video since the video game world tore this apart a month or two ago.

Those screens you compared are the klose kombat so it should have more detail in it. The actual game shots do not look as detailed, so comparing klose kombat in MKDC to regular Kombat in MKA works well.

They still dont look like anything special. The jump from ps2 to ps3 should be wayyyyyyyyy better than this.

What about the blood. It comes off and just disappears? I actually liked the fact that it would stay on the ground into the next match in MKA. Here its just gone before it hits the ground.

Then the Klose Kombat looks like the KAF from MKA. Another lazy part. I was expecting a sweet POV for this.

Then scorpions spear just disappears in his opponents chest. Cant they have him take an eighth of a second to rip it out and throw it back in his wrist or wherever he hides it.

What about Shang who is apparently Scorpion with a different head. Just looks very lazily done.

Besides the fatalities, this looks like a small jump in graphics, another step back in gameplay with the slow klose and falling kombat, and nowhere near what it could look like on PS3.

Besides the fatalities, this looks like a small jump in graphics, another step back in gameplay with the slow klose and falling kombat, and nowhere near what it could look like on PS3.

First of all, you need to keep in mind that this game is still in development. And you're judging the alternate kombat modes from only a few snippets of gameplay that have been featured repetitively. The developers are obviously releasing information on gameplay in increments according to their timeline for release. If you listened to the latest Mkast, you'd know that they confirmed special moves for free-fall kombat, and that should indicate that there's more to be revealed about those modes.

And since the game is being developed using Unreal Engine 3, which is the preeminent game engine in terms of raw visual presentation, we can expect that by launch this game will be the graphical cutting edge. In the fighting genre, it already is. Considering that the original Gears of War is still one of the best looking games on the market (on any of the consoles), no one should be concerned over how the game is going to look.

Quite frankly, you're employing strawman arguments when it comes to gameplay that you can't possibly know anything about, and your nitpicking over the graphics makes you a shameless graphics whore.

soulcalibur-iv-20080620104834936.jpg

mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-20080712094519591.jpg

Look at how jaggy SC 4 is in comparison. MK vs DC also makes better use of shaders and possesses better hair and cloth textures.

As to the people who are *****ing on the other forums, odds are they're still complaining about the fact that DC is even present in this IP, so their opinions really don't count for a bit of anything.

Last edited:
Those screens you compared are the klose kombat so it should have more detail in it. The actual game shots do not look as detailed..

:rofl: :shock:

mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-200807.jpg

mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-200806.jpg

mka_5.jpg

:ciao:

First of all, you need to keep in mind that this game is still in development. And you're judging the alternate kombat modes from only a few snippets of gameplay that have been featured repetitively. The developers are obviously releasing information on gameplay in increments according to their timeline for release. If you listened to the latest Mkast, you'd know that they confirmed special moves for free-fall kombat, and that should indicate that there's more to be revealed about those modes.

And since the game is being developed using Unreal Engine 3, which is the preeminent game engine in terms of raw visual presentation, we can expect that by launch this game will be the graphical cutting edge. In the fighting genre, it already is. Considering that the original Gears of War is still one of the best looking games on the market (on any of the consoles), no one should be concerned over how the game is going to look.

Quite frankly, you're employing strawman arguments when it comes to gameplay that you can't possibly know anything about, and your nitpicking over the graphics makes you a shameless graphics whore.

Look at how jaggy SC 4 is in comparison. MK vs DC also makes better use of shaders and possesses better hair and cloth textures.

As to the people who are *****ing on the other forums, odds are they're still complaining about the fact that DC is even present in this IP, so their opinions really don't count for a bit of anything.

Wellsaid TRZA!

This is stupid. Who cares about graphics anyway, we all know gameplay is what makes a game good. If the gameplay sucks, then the graphics dont even matter. But those who think the new game is almost like MKA need to go see an eye doctor soon.

98% of MK fans on this site love the graphics. Go look at other video game forums where they are still ripping this game apart.

And that is what makes us better than them.

Those screenshots are the ones they released in an attempt to impress everyone right off the bat. This is the first video since the video game world tore this apart a month or two ago.

Why would they release screen shots designed not to impress us? Designed to impress us or not, they are still in-game screens and look awesome. This is the first video since then, you're right. So?

Those screens you compared are the klose kombat so it should have more detail in it. The actual game shots do not look as detailed, so comparing klose kombat in MKDC to regular Kombat in MKA works well.

So what, do you think they made a whole new graphics engine just for the close-up bits? If anything this proves our point more, because if the MKA characters were up that close they'd look pitiful in comparison. It shows that even up close it looks
crisp, rounded and all the textures still look detailed, as opposed to the MKA screens that don't have any of these qualities even from a distance.

They still dont look like anything special. The jump from ps2 to ps3 should be wayyyyyyyyy better than this.

The thing is, the PS3 has greater graphical capabilities than the XBox 360. This game is to be released on both, so comparing it to the graphics of Metal Gear Solid 4 as you said in another post is stupid. There's nothing on the 360 yet that looks anywhere near as good as MGS4, so obviously it can't look that good. Anyway, until you see it in HD on a 40" screen, reserve judgement.

What about the blood. It comes off and just disappears? I actually liked the fact that it would stay on the ground into the next match in MKA. Here its just gone before it hits the ground.

IT'S A TEEN RATED GAME. if they had buckets of blood everywhere, and stuff like that, DC would pull out. Before you say that's a good thing, think of all the press this game has recieved because of DC. This has arguably had the highest amount of media coverage than any MK game since the first one. No press is bad press.

Then the Klose Kombat looks like the KAF from MKA. Another lazy part. I was expecting a sweet POV for this.

What? How exactly does this look like KAF? No other fighter has done anything like this. Again, reserve judgement until you play it.

Then scorpions spear just disappears in his opponents chest. Cant they have him take an eighth of a second to rip it out and throw it back in his wrist or wherever he hides it.

What, like in the other MKs where he does this all the time? Sarcasm.

What about Shang who is apparently Scorpion with a different head. Just looks very lazily done.

What?

This seems like a summary of your post, so in summary, It's a huge jump in graphics, you haven't even tried the gameplay yet and it isn't just a PS3 game.

STFU ALREADY!!!!

you have lost creditability on forum, so just stop.

now.:damnmate:

You're way off dude, actually the only people I see on other MK sites that are "ripping the graphics" are dumb, haters....that hate MK or DC or both...thus their views are taken with a grain of salt, because anyone that denies the fact that these look "great" are seriously just hating for not good reason or flat out blind as I've said before.

It's not just 98% of fans on here, that's in general all over. Some people might complain about the renders, but that's just a concept picture, that doesn't count. It's the game that counts and the game looks GREAT.

Actually, comparing the KK to MKA's system is like comparing A-rod to Bernard Gilky, the Yankees history to the Montreal Expos.......nothing alike and one is drastically better then the other....by a lot. It's hardly comparable. If you knew the gameplay you'd know this. And KK is nothing like KAF, those were actual death blows where the MK8's KK system is punches and grapples...big difference, as for less blood....umm are you aware of the T rating? Besides, you're complaining about that of all things? What about the dumb sparks in tekken or SC or sweat in SF?..........At least MK has blood, which although might be exagerrated would still happen in a real fight. Not to mention, did you notice the realistic brusing, ripped cloths and bloody noses, busted up masks, garments etc? Something that other fighters lack in, including past MK's...but not this game. : )

Your Spear, Shang with Scorpion comments don't even make sense....

It can't get much better then this, it looks great regardless of a few haters thoughts...if you want to live in denial, so be it man. Facts are the graphics are fantastic in game.

yeah, and did you do scientific research to get that 98%?

It stinks in here cuz your FULL OF SHIESSE

Scientific research not necessary, just been spying on all the main MK sites except for umk since they're mainly classic....and most people on there except for Check don't know much about the newer games from what I remember and read. But take MK informer, this site, MKO, Kami etc and most fans love the look which you've even admitted you liked.

It's a rough estimate, but seriously anyone that thinks the graphics sucks at this point after we've seen nice in game shots, gameplay etc is not only dumb but blind....and I have no problem saying so either. lol

But if you want to be technical, the amount of fans, MK or general totally outnumber the amount of "haters"... and that's all that counts, surely you'd agree to that? yes?:mrgreen:

Last edited:
First off, I am and was just posting my opinion this whole time, so besides TRZA and The 7th Number (the only two to post anything intelligent) take a step back and realize i did not just make fun of your little sister or take a dump on your porch, i just gave my opinion. I am just as big of an MK fan or possibly more than you so feel free to criticize or argue back, but theres no need to get upset and throw a hissy fit like you all did.

TRZA - great screenshots. Thats what you should be comparing, rather than MKA screens. Those are screenshots that would take someone like me who is pessimistic at the time to turn the corner and say "wow, this has potential." And it did somewhat, but i still want to wait until more screens and more gameplay come out, because that is just one screen that Midway throws at us to put us in awe. For all we know, thats from the beginning video or a cutscene rather than the actual gameplay.

Secondly, i never said this game is just like MKA. I said that IMO, i do not believe this game is taking advantage of the PS3 potential, and is only a minor step forward from MKA, when they should be taking a huge leap forward. The screens that MK-DA posted prove me right. Besides the arenas and minor character improvements, all thanks to HD, these look like a minor step forward and not up to PS3 potential.

Thirdly, I think that so many people here are "so impressed" with this trailer because of the fact that so many people were pissed and up in arms over the first trailer's release when we found out DC was involved. Now that this game looks decent, were putting aside the negativity from that and trying to shadow it with the optimism of a decent game. Again, the is my opinion, so attack me if you will, but id rather discuss it intelligently.I never said the graphics "suck," i just do not believe they are what they could be.

4th, like i said, unfortunately this game and MK is still getting torn apart by other video game fans. Call them haters or losers or whatever, but realistically there are not millions of MK fans out there preordering their games. The success of Mk depends on the average fan and new fans and so far they are not impressed.

I think that sucks and i want MK to be just as popular and succeed like any other member here, but honestly, MK is turning into the NHL and the interest for their game is just not there on a wide stream basis and it sucks. I would hate for MK to just die off or call it quits, but i dont believe (and i obviously my judgment might change come release time) Midway and MK is doing the job they need to for this game.

Lastly, i do understand that this game is still in development and has however many months until it is realized, so therefore i have faith that the little things like blood and scorpions spear and whatever else will be cleaned up by that time. It just seems like they planned to have the game without blood and then Boon realized that when all of the fans went crazy over the first trailer that he needed to had blood, hence "there will be blood." So they are in the process of designing blood for the game and that is the reason why the blood just disappears right away.

Ive been a member here for a while, and like i said, you are all taking this like i attacked you when im just posting my opinion. I mean seriously, ive been around here for a ton longer than most of these posters and in just 3 posts my rep goes from twenty something to zero? Seriously? Guys take your tampons out and discuss this intelligently rather than throwing a pout fest and trying to gang up.

And mods, what the hell, i get torn a new one here for my opinions by a ton of junior members and my rep just disappears? You should have to have some credibility before you can take away others rep.

Lastly, i do understand that this game is still in development and has however many months until it is realized, so therefore i have faith that the little things like blood and scorpions spear and whatever else will be cleaned up by that time. It just seems like they planned to have the game without blood and then Boon realized that when all of the fans went crazy over the first trailer that he needed to had blood, hence "there will be blood." So they are in the process of designing blood for the game and that is the reason why the blood just disappears right away.

Boon stated in one of his interviews that this iteration will be "more mature," and take that as you will, I think that less blood is a significant step toward the mainstream and a more serious conception of the look of MK. The gobs of jelly-blood in the previous 3D trilogy came off as far too cartoony, so in my opinion, the way they've rendered the blood is awesome, but tasteful.

The most interesting part is where their running through buildings.

I was like... Wow... Thats different.

Normally its knocking you through a vent, wall or onto another platform... But through buildings???

First off, I am and was just posting my opinion this whole time, so besides TRZA and The 7th Number (the only two to post anything intelligent) take a step back and realize i did not just make fun of your little sister or take a dump on your porch, i just gave my opinion. I am just as big of an MK fan or possibly more than you so feel free to criticize or argue back, but theres no need to get upset and throw a hissy fit like you all did.

TRZA - great screenshots. Thats what you should be comparing, rather than MKA screens. Those are screenshots that would take someone like me who is pessimistic at the time to turn the corner and say "wow, this has potential." And it did somewhat, but i still want to wait until more screens and more gameplay come out, because that is just one screen that Midway throws at us to put us in awe. For all we know, thats from the beginning video or a cutscene rather than the actual gameplay.

Secondly, i never said this game is just like MKA. I said that IMO, i do not believe this game is taking advantage of the PS3 potential, and is only a minor step forward from MKA, when they should be taking a huge leap forward. The screens that MK-DA posted prove me right. Besides the arenas and minor character improvements, all thanks to HD, these look like a minor step forward and not up to PS3 potential.

Thirdly, I think that so many people here are "so impressed" with this trailer because of the fact that so many people were pissed and up in arms over the first trailer's release when we found out DC was involved. Now that this game looks decent, were putting aside the negativity from that and trying to shadow it with the optimism of a decent game. Again, the is my opinion, so attack me if you will, but id rather discuss it intelligently.I never said the graphics "suck," i just do not believe they are what they could be.

4th, like i said, unfortunately this game and MK is still getting torn apart by other video game fans. Call them haters or losers or whatever, but realistically there are not millions of MK fans out there preordering their games. The success of Mk depends on the average fan and new fans and so far they are not impressed.

I think that sucks and i want MK to be just as popular and succeed like any other member here, but honestly, MK is turning into the NHL and the interest for their game is just not there on a wide stream basis and it sucks. I would hate for MK to just die off or call it quits, but i dont believe (and i obviously my judgment might change come release time) Midway and MK is doing the job they need to for this game.

Ive been a member here for a while, and like i said, you are all taking this like i attacked you when im just posting my opinion. I mean seriously, ive been around here for a ton longer than most of these posters and in just 3 posts my rep goes from twenty something to zero? Seriously? Guys take your tampons out and discuss this intelligently rather than throwing a pout fest and trying to gang up.

And mods, what the hell, i get torn a new one here for my opinions by a ton of junior members and my rep just disappears? You should have to have some credibility before you can take away others rep.

LMAO. Your a n00b, and your idiotic comments are why your precious rep was tossed in the thrash.

Your comments were something I'd expect over at MKO, TMK or even Midway.com, you you were treated as such.

Epic fail, dude. EPIC.

I love it how this dude "disses" everyone elses personal views saying everyone except for the one or two guys posted nothing good(that's BS), yet wants his respected but "insults" everyone elses...*shakes head*

Concerning the rep thing ha, I didn't even notice that until now. Just curious, why would one care so much about an online forum rep?:hmmmm:

Last edited:
Oh wow. I've never seen a thread full of more crap. On BOTH sides of the arguement. Let's see what somebody with both praise AND complaints has to say? Where do we find somebody like that? Oh yea, ME! So on I go:

The graphics, while a huge leap from MKA, do lack a certain "I don't know what" when compared to Virtua Fighter 5 or Soul Calibur 4. I can't quite explain it but despite your comments on the "jaggedness" of the Soul Calibur graphics I can't help but look at that top picture and wish MKvDC was more like that. The character designs are extremely detailed while the MK designs are very plain by comparison. Sure they look "smooth" but does it take much to make NOTHING look smooth? There needs to be more there.

However, that's not to say the grahpics look horrible. They absolutely do not. The arenas look fantastic, you can't say they look at all low-poly or have stretched textures or poor art behind them. It's just...I don't know, just SOMETHING that seems like it's missing.

As for the gameplay. I think it looks incredibly like MKA and I know I'm going to get tired of seeing every character doing the same moves over and over. But those are INITIAL impressions based on ONE batch of gameplay no more than 15 minutes in it's entirety. We'll get tons of new footage and actual player responses when the game is demoed at E3 later. I made a thread criticising the gameplay already so feel free to look there for more of my opinions.

As for the spear dissapearing into nowhere. Why, may I ask, is it any excuse to say "Oh but the older games did it that way"? Just because something was stupid before doesn't mean it should be stupid now. A neat new animation is exactly what you'd expect to see in the big jump to "new-gen" (It's not "next-gen" anymroe people, that was 2 years ago).

All-in-all I find it very easy to see where all the hate is coming from. The gameplay looks like the same dial-a-combo stuff as before, the animations look like exactly the same level of quality as MKA whatever anybody says to the contrary, and the klose and freefall kombat look like they're just there to "cover up" that nothing else has changed.

When klose and freefall kombat were compared to KAF earlier in this thread it was not meant that those new gameplay mechanics were "done before" or "methods of customization" it was meant that they were gimmicks to cover up shoddy gameplay. Note, I'm not saying the gameplay IS shoddy I'm just saying that's what the complaint was meant to convey, you seem to have misunderstood.

Now, I also think there are A LOT of positives to take away from the gameplay we saw. Whether the new gameplay modes are gimmicks or not, they seem to work very well and they look amazing. The brutal animations and creative moves are what I expected to see all the time. They look like great additions to the MK formula. Also, the special moves looks fantastic. With so many for each character we saw crazy combos like the ones Superman was doing with his vacuum breath and ground pound.

It's new gameplay people. We're going to pick it apart piece by piece and examine it. That's what the internet does. Some people will like what they see, some people won't. Not all of them will explain their views eloquently or with good grammar but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to them. Instead of pointing out all the ways your fellow community members are stupid and wrong, how about engaging them and arguing your points in an organized manner? All this bickering accomplishes is to create a lot of unthoughtful posts with many spelling and grammar mistakes. (And one post with good grammar that's well thought out)

...The graphics, while a huge leap from MKA, do lack a certain "I don't know what" when compared to Virtua Fighter 5 or Soul Calibur 4. I can't quite explain it but despite your comments on the "jaggedness" of the Soul Calibur graphics I can't help but look at that top picture and wish MKvDC was more like that. The character designs are extremely detailed while the MK designs are very plain by comparison. Sure they look "smooth" but does it take much to make NOTHING look smooth? There needs to be more there....

However, that's not to say the grahpics look horrible. They absolutely do not. The arenas look fantastic, you can't say they look at all low-poly or have stretched textures or poor art behind them. It's just...I don't know, just SOMETHING that seems like it's missing....

...When klose and freefall kombat were compared to KAF earlier in this thread it was not meant that those new gameplay mechanics were "done before" or "methods of customization" it was meant that they were gimmicks to cover up shoddy gameplay. Note, I'm not saying the gameplay IS shoddy I'm just saying that's what the complaint was meant to convey, you seem to have misunderstood...

That certain "something" that you seem to be invoking is the art direction. Of course VF and SC are going to look a certain way because of their shared histories. They hail from a different tradition than does MK, so their art styles are going to differ as well. VF and SC - as well as Tekken, DOA, et al - share an anime-inspired look that, while fitting for those games, wouldn't mesh well with the tone or direction of MK. The SC screenshot features elaborate costumes, but there is plenty of clipping and muddy bumpmapping. While MK's fighting engine isn't considered "realistic," I'm more than happy that the art style has adopted a more photorealistic appeal, just as Boon pointed out on the SpikeTV interview.

As to the MK graphics being "smooth," that's simply a matter of MK possessing better anti-aliasing. MK has more polish and can stand toe to toe with any current generation fighting game. I stand behind my earlier point that MK has superior textures. As to character detail, the MK characters are all extremely detailed. The DC side isn't so much, but that's because of the nature of their costumes. There are only so many ways to spice up spandex.

If you think that klose and free-fall kombat are merely distractions from a sub-par fighting engine, then that's fair. But then, most people are arguing that this whole crossover concept between the two franchises is a distraction from the gameplay. Since we all seem to have moved passed that point, then I would hope that we could at least reserve judgment regarding those modes until after E3.

Last edited:
I could honestly care less about the graphics or any other minor problems with MK vs. DC. The only thing that matters to me is that it's fun, and right now the prospect of having Batman beat the crap out of Shang Tsung sounds very fun indeed.