MK vs DC news from Wizard World Philly '08 !!

Trash-MKX

Just spoke with ******** at the Wizard World Philly Event. He was helping set up the DC booth. Sorry about not naming my source but for the few news bits he gave me, he asked I not reveal his name, so he wouldn't be revealed as a "spoiler monkey", his words. As he stated, he's part of the few involved with the game. "Not many, but a few. But more then a couple" that are working on the game with Midway. Again, his words.

They discussed in the early stages that the MK Universe could be one of the 52 Earths that make up the DCU, but for legal reasons with Midway/DC/WB, etc, and other "complicated boring issues, not having anything to do with the game," this WILL NOT be the case. The way the 2 universes meet is finalized, but will only be revealed in Issue 1 of the comic. And plays out to a much better story anyway.

The tie-in story is pretty much completed. There are still a few tweaks to be made, since a few game endings for different characters are a major story point in the comics. And each character's endings are being written by the DC team, with a ton of input from Midway.

Said the comic will have a huge TWIST that no fan, DC or MK, saw coming.

The artist will be announced soon, probably at the San Diego Comic Con.

He said DC might run a 2 or 3 page preview in some of their monthly books, but that will be much closer to the release of the comic or game.

I asked if the story will be an Elseworlds story or fall in the DCU proper. It will NOT be an Elseworlds story, but don't look for any references about the event in any DC books, besides a very small few, IF that. No MK characters will ever show up in any other DC books, EVER. He said there will not be an issue of Batman with flashbacks on the event or Batman discussing what happened with Robin.

Robin? So he is in the game? I get a big *smirk* and Yes. Add Robin to the list. I then of course asked, which one? Tim Drake? Dick Grayson? Jason Todd? Stephanie Brown? He said the story will take place in the present. So Tim Drake? And he confirmed with a head nod.

I must have named off every MK character and DC character that came to mind to see if he would let me know who else. He said a few are quite obvious on both ends and confirmed the following: Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (didn't say which GL or Flash but said that doesn't mean there is only one of each in the game) Black Canary, Hawkman and Powergirl.

MK characters he confirmed were - Kabal, Sonya, Jax, Raiden, and Kitana.

I asked how many of each universe or total. He couldn't say. A fair amount of each is the answer he gave. I asked about DCU villains. He said yes. There will be more DC Heroes in the game, but the Villains will be represented. Would not say which ones made it into the game.

Also confirmed, due to more legal reasons, none of the Charlton characters from the DCU made it into the game - Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, The Question. And the same goes for the Fawcett Comics characters - Captain Marvel/Shazam!, etc.

They are working very closely with Midway on the game and how the DCU characters will play out - moves, looks, etc.

He couldn't tell me anything on special moves or finishing moves, fatalities etc. No info on the blood in the game either.

No info on a release date, but he does know about when its due out. And wouldn't say.

No Wii version. But then stated "at this time". No plans for a PC version or some type of DS or PSP spin-off. They are signed on for 2 games. This one, and if sales permit, a follow-up.

Each platform - 360/PS3 will be exactly the same. No console will get any type of extras or bonus content like exclusive characters or game modes. When asked which system he preferred, he said he owns both, so both.

There will be DLC. But wasn't sure exactly what or when. He said there were a few stages and costumes cut from the game, so that is a possibility. As far as more characters, he said that is something Midway will decide on later. But if he had to guess right now, he said we might see 1 or 2.

There will be a Special Edition of the game for each system, for of course more $$. It will likely include some type of early artwork, behind the scenes/making of DVD and a reprint of Issue 1 of the comic series. I asked about the addition of a a classic MK game being included and he said he had no idea, that was up to Midway.

Said online play is shaping up to be awesome. No cross-platform play. Both DC and Midway would have liked to have it, but thats up to Microsoft/Sony he said. And the answer was no.

That was all the info I could get on the storyline or anymore characters other then the ones he confirmed. Or how he said it, "highly suggested were in the game". No info on any of the game modes or the Kreate-a-Kharacter feature.

Said fans of both MK and DC comics will be happy with the outcome. They are very serious about the game and did not take it lightly or as a joke in anyway.

Thats all I have, if I can get anymore info, I will pass it along to TRMK.

- Trash

Last edited:
I KNEW it! I KNEW Raiden was going to be confirmed! And did you just say a sequel might end up being released!?

EDIT: So...He didn't give any info about Kreate a Fighter whatsoever?

Last edited:
I very much want to believe that since I noticed Kitana's name in there, but then I guess that means I'll actually have to buy this game at some point. Nuts.

I'm actually sitting on a bit more info, but was sworn to secrecy. With the announcement of the Midway podcasts, I'm sure it will be announced this week or one of the following. Its more DC related. I emailed Boon about it, be I guess he still hates me from the MKX days in the late 90's.

Last edited:
Hey deathcore, you think you could merge the two threads we have about this? It's confusing keeping up with 2 of the same conversation. As for KAF, there was an interesting solution on the Midway boards that I thought had some merit. If not KREATE a fighter, then how about just messing with their costumes? SCIII pulled it off nicely with their simple color editting system (I almost never used default colors once I got into that feature) and playing as a red Sub-Zero would tickle me pink. I could make Scorpion grey and say he's Smoke. But a step beyond that, with so many superheroes you could mix and match whole costumes like in KAF but without the pain of making up a new fighting style.

And Trash, since I wasn't around when you were famous, think you might re-introduce yourself?

I agree it's a little confusing to go back and forth between the two threads, but if I merge them, all posts are assorted chronologically, so Trash's post will show as the news item on the front page instead of Jeff's. It'd be better to just let Jeff or Pat take care of it instead of screwing everything up.

Thank goodness, glad to see Tim Drake/Robin in this, someone has to represeant the teen hero's. I knew Flash would be in, another character I'm glad to see. I hope Liu and Johnny make it.

confirmed the following: Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (didn't say which GL or Flash but said that doesn't mean there is only one of each in the game) Black Canary, Hawkman and Powergirl.

MK characters he confirmed were - Kabal, Sonya, Jax, Raiden, and Kitana.

I hope Cat Woman makes the game, and Joker too.

As for the MK side, where is Baraka?

They are signed on for 2 games. This one, and if sales permit, a follow-up.

Another one? Does that mean we wont get a new MK game for another year? :(

God, I really don't wanna see a follow-up. I don't care how awesome this game turns out, it needs to be a one-off followed by the most disgustingly brutal MK game we've ever seen. Seriously, I want the goriest game ever made next time around.

I agree. Would really love a DC only fighting game....done right. I'd like to see a Batman/Superman game first...since they both have so many supporting members, plus each rogues gallery. Then...go into a full on DCU game. That way, alot of the bat villains who prolly wouldnt make the DCU cut, get a chance to shine and so fourth.

They need to make a DC version of Ultimate Alliance. That Justice League game just didn't cut it. I think it'd be cool if they made a DC RPG where you're an up and coming Superhero that rises through the ranks. You know, you start off fighting bank robbers, then move up to fighting robots with Booster Gold or some other second rate character, then in the finale you wind up battling Darkseid with Superman or something. If DC made a game like that it would sell a lot more than MK vs. DC and it would help regular people get interested in comic books. They should abandon all thoughts of a second MK vs. DC and work on that instead.

Well if you want a superhero RPG you should consider looking at Champions Online. I saw a piece about that in a magazine (a couple months ago now tho...) and it looked fantastic. I know it's not DC but it looks like an excellent system never-the-less.

God, I really don't wanna see a follow-up. I don't care how awesome this game turns out, it needs to be a one-off followed by the most disgustingly brutal MK game we've ever seen. Seriously, I want the goriest game ever made next time around.

That's precisely where I'm standing, in fact.... I hate this idea... not enough to boycott it but... I mean I'll try the game... maybe rent it, NEVER buy it. It's an okay idea, one that I'll put up with on a one-time-only basis... but beyond that forget it. Mortal Kombat is OLD... this game is getting on in its age man, I don't think it has TIME for a sequel to a crossover game. But, maybe I'm wrong, and Mortal Kombat will live on and on. After all,new material is only limited to the creativity of those involved. But even if I am wrong and true MK fans do have the patience to await the next chapter of Mortal Kombat for another X number of years (while said possible MK vs DC sequel manifests), I feel that if said DC sequel does take place it will deprive true Mortal Kombat fans for too long, potentially alienating long time true fans of the original MK etc. by making these now adult, mature, busy people wait too long for the continuation of their favorite old fighting game.

Now I've been away for along time... and this little time I've been back hasn't been completely consistent, so maybe I don't know wtf I'm talking about, but doesn't it seem to some like this crossover is more of a cover-up? You know, less of a mutual promotion and more of a survival plan, something to keep the fans "tided over" until they hopefully can scrape together some new ideas?

Well remember there's only gonna be a sequel "if sales allow". If this game tanks, no sequel. But I don't think it will. And you shouldn't say never Lord Venom, because you never know. You might rent this game, realize it's the best thing since chunked toast and buy 12 copies. And what's more, the sequel doesn't necessarily have to take the place of the next stand-alone MK game.

Well it looks like Captain Marvel got in after all. I'm pretty sure we'll still see some of the characters from this list.

Good job dude, I sure hope at some point Ermac gets in this game, from a power point of view it would be a nobrainer.

Hopes Midway/DC pushes the limits to 30 in total, 15 from each side.