Got GTAIV?

I havent seen a hooker yet, though i havent actually been looking for one. Ive nailed 3 different girlfriends and got 2 others in the works. ;) I met one off a site called "craplist.com" probably a spoof of the real life site "craigslist.com". I didnt meet her yet but the date is set.

Let us be honest, GTA4 is not going to be competing against MKDC.

I do hope you didn't think me serious with that last one. It was for comic effect. Has MK ever won GotY? Ever?

Anyway...as much as I detest all the sex, drugs, and violence on a moral level...I'm considering getting this game. I shall simply choose not to do any of that. No hookers, no drugs, and no unecessary cop killings for me. I will handle it like I did in Assassin's Creed, if somebody approaches me, I will kill them, otherwise live and let die. I like the dating concept and the freedom the game presents. Freedom is something I prize in games. It's what made Call of Duty 4 SP and Mass Effect utter failures for me. CoD4 was linear and stupid. Mass Effect was more subtle, but still amazingly (and dissapointingly) restricting. GTAIV seems like neither. So, if this is to be my first GTA game I purchase, it had better blow me away or else.

But a question before I decide. Is there anything to fuel the completionist in me in GTAIV? I like to collect things in games. I'm the kind of guy that completed every challenge in Smash Bros. just for the hell or it and completed every single quest in Oblivion just because I could. But to be clear, I didn't collect every flag in Assassin's Creed because that was boring, pointless, and didn't involve enough elements of the gameplay to keep my interest. So is there anything like that?

Wow, you'll be in for a surprise with GTAIV. Yes you are a mob man, you will be hired to kill and steal, but the game awards the non-violent person too (besides on mission.) You don't have to get hookers, you don't have to kill cops. You can follow all the laws you want for example: At the toll gate if you just barrel do it you get one warning star, but if you pay the $5 dollar fare then you are not on a warning level.

Yes this game has hardly any restrictions at all. You can do the missions as you please, and a lot of the times you have a choice between 3 main missions. Also when you get further in the game you can go on the internet to date other girls. There are sooo many things to unlock in this game. You have to find these 200 pigeons, over 100 stunt jumps (which is a blast) and other things.

At least rent this game. It will definitely be worth the five dollars of a rental. I think it deserves the $60 too. It takes sooo long to defeat the game. I think i heard there was more than 100 HRs of gameplay, then new to this series is online play which is really fun too.

Well I bought it today but I havn't played it yet. I'm mostly getting it for the online play since so many of my friends are doing NOTHING but play this game. I kind of got peer-pressured into buying it. Because otherwise I'd be totally alone.

*GASP!* Michelle isn't all that she seems! yeah, I'm getting through this game at an alarmingly slow rate.
Somebody mentioned pigeons, I found a bird that was glowing orange like a weaopn, is that one? If so, how does one go about collecting it? cos walking over it didn't work.

Nope you have to kill them. Don't auto aim though or you'll pistol will automatically go to the nearest person. I got stuck in that boat for like 5 mins.

Thus far I'm finding this game INCREDIBLY boring. Dating is charming but mediocre. I can do the same stuff better on the Wii. I find the initial missions to be dull as mud. I would prefer a true action game without all this nonsense in between.

You did set out on a mission to hate this game though, didn't you Glam?
I dunno, I love it, but to get the most out of it you need to step down morally and if it isn't something you are willing to do then you won't get the full enjoyment of it. Just remember, it's only a game. But it's your call, I just think you're missing out on one of the best gaming franchises available.

Ok well I've been playing it a little more now and I think I can comment a little better.

First off, the plot and characters are really incredible. I feel more emotional connection to these guys in 2-3 hours of playing than I felt in the entire game of Mass Effect. Niko is believable and clearly not a thug out for blood. Each character has real personality and that goes a long way with me.

However...the gameplay. It still bores me to DEATH. IT'S ALL DRIVING. Long travel time is why I hate Zelda: Wind Waker. IT'S NOTHING BUT TRAVEL TIME. The ratio of driving/action is ridiculously high. I drive to the mission. They tell me to drive somewhere else. At this point I usually get some action for maybe...a minute. Then I get back in the car and drive again! ARRGH! I DON'T EVEN LIKE DRIVING! Why else would I not have my driver's liscense when I'm 20 years old!? I prefer good old human interaction and movement. I loved Assassin's Creed because just RUNNING was a treat. You could jump and climb and swing and kill at random. Also sorry if I reference AC alot, it's the only other "sandbox" game I've played and I understand it's not the best in terms of sandboxy-ness.

I think I might just not like all the freedom I get. I just don't know what to do with it. I don't want to date really, I already said I could do that same stuff better on the Wii. Eating takes all of 30 seconds. Clothing shopping is for girls. And I'm required to DRIVE everywhere. However I suspect that things might pick up in that respect since I now have Roman's cab service to take me places. And you're allowed to SKIP those sequences. I dunno, it just feels like there's nothing to do. My friend tells me there are no tanks in GTA IV. Couple that with the impossible to control helicopters and the only methods of transport you have are cars/motorcycles on land and like, 2 varieties of boats on water. Seriously, NOTHING to do.

That said the environments are spectacular as well. The people on the streets, the variety of cars you see, the buildings, the weapons. I love that.

Very true Goraka. Although the missions are getting tedious and repetitive. I hate ****in chasing these guys all the time! I just want to open up the shop that pimps the cars that's all i want. Has anyone gotten that far yet? And i'm not talking about Pay N' Spray.

EDIT: Yes you can whistle for a yellow cab to take you to missions. Just press "Y" to get you there right away. It skips the whole sequence.

Well, I completed it last night. Took me two weeks, which isn't bad going, most games take me 3 or 4 days. There are at least two endings though, And I saved just before the last mission. Wasn't really happy with the ending I got (not to spoil it for you guys, I won't reveal what happened), So I'm gonna try and get the other tonight.

My bad glam. When you get into a cab press "A" to skip the whole scene. "Y" makes you get out of the cab. And never mind i found out TransFender isn't in this game.... Gay.

Well I just got the new penthouse in Algonquin so I think I'm pretty far...just blew up a helicopter, that was fun. But for a game with such a great story, I am really hating these missions. I love the missions where I get to go OUTSIDE a vehicle and shoot some *****es, because that's my kinda game. I love 3rd Person Shooters. But chase missions and racing missions and drive-by missions (those are the worst)....they ****ing suck. I just wanna get to the story because I love the characters and the plot. But there are so many ****in' missions to go through and they're mostly bad...it kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

However, I can't say there's any lack of stuff to do anymore. Now I've got people calling me every 5 minutes and tons of places to shop and eat and...well now it's the opposite of how I felt before...I wish shit would just calm down for a while so I can do stuff at my own pace. I have a love/hate relationship with my telephone. #1 I love the conversations you get to have without actually having to start anything important, and it's really convenient for lots of stuff, but the *****es that call you all the time are annoying the hell out of me...Ah well, I can't change it so I'm not gonna complain too much.

At first i was like.....hmmm... The driving, player control, the story,.....but once you finish it, and get used to it, then you will have played it long enough to really enjoy the game and see the story for what its worth.

I actually got 100% today....and now ill finally get into multiplayer maybe. LOL.

One thing I don't like about the game is the competitive multiplayer. Free Roam is one thing...that's fun to just mess about with buddies. But deathmatch and the ilk...well it's just not suited to that kind of system. In the main game shooting is all about finding cover and waiting out your enemy until you have a clear shot (a fairly well done emulation of real life I'd like to think) but online competition is fast paced with cars and dozens of people shooting at each other. It's like a gang war and it's too chaotic for me. It's still fun, but if I want a competitive shooter I'll go play Vegas 2 or CoD4.