Only 20 Characters????

The 7th Number

In is a vastly reduced playable character roster ("Every single character is a known DC character, a known MK character. Because they're so iconic, we don't feel like we want to do the huge, massive roster. We just focus in on these core 20 characters").

From a mortal Kombat vs DC preview with Videogamer.com

I really hope this isnt true....if it only has 20 characters i dont think i would buy it. 10 MK characters? Come on. This game needs 15-20 from each side for a total of 30 to 40 characters.

The quote is taken from the last paragraph on the first page.

Ugh. If I don't get Kitana out of this, I really don't see buying an Xbox 360 just to play as Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Goro
Shao Kahn
Baraka
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung
Raiden
Sonya
Mileena/Kitana

That would be my guess as most popular characters. They need at least 2 females. I really hope Quan Chi is in. But i cant see who i would take out.

Honestly...with Armageddon going to the extreme side of 60 characters...I think 20 or fewer is the right number. 10 a side should create enough variety and allow the development team to focus enough time to each character. Especially if we want Midway to make some 'killer' finishing moves. We don't want to make it difficult for them to come up with more than 40 or so of them.

Start increasing the character roster, you start increasing the development load. You saw what they had to do with Armageddon. I don't think anyone would excuse the return to Kreate a Fatality this time around, which replaced having to develop 60-120 finishers for that game.

Last edited:
I've been saying to my AIM buddies that 24 is perfect. With 12 a side I can think of plenty of DC characters to fit that role, and MK really only has 20 or so really good characters that could fit anyway. It wouldn't be too difficult to pick 12 of those. Off the top of my head why don't we just take say...THE MK2 ROSTER PERHAPS!?

Ugh. If I don't get Kitana out of this, I really don't see buying an Xbox 360 just to play as Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

well i agree. not about the Kitana part though it'd be nice to keep her around, but the only way i'm buying a next gen console would be to play the new MK so it better be worth it

I think 20 is fine as long as one the gameplay is deep and they go out of their way to make each fighter totally unique, two they offer plenty of extra outfits, I am thinking 3-5 per character, and three they all have a bunch of kickass finishers like the guys in MKSM did, if that happens then 20 is fine. The only issue is which 20, with only 20 characters I am positive that all fans on both side will be slightly dissapointed with the selection. And please for the love of god, can we have more than one throw in this game, like Tekken where everyone has like 10, and perhaps a grapple system with some MMA type moves. Considering the backgrounds of some of these guys, that makes sense IMO.

If you go onto the official website you can click Sub zero's eye which brings up a screen with 16 ( i think) question marks maybe meing that thers going to be 32 and 16 from each side

If you go onto the official website you can click Sub zero's eye which brings up a screen with 16 ( i think) question marks maybe meing that thers going to be 32 and 16 from each side

They recently changed the graphics on this, they are now all theeye/blank.jpg. When I checked this on Friday, they were split evenly between blank_mk.jpg and blank_dc.jpg (or something like that). Guess we have a new place to check every day to see if there are updates. I'm sure the main TRMK page will announce every confirmed character as soon as possible.

Ten from each side? No way! This is an epic battle between universes! We should get at least 15 from each side.

I think 20 is a nice round number, after all I rather have 20 characters well designed, unique and generally more rounded then 30 or more poorly designed rush characters. Quality not quantity after all.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to add extra characters through Downloadable Content? It's something I've been pondering ever since MK was confirmed for the X-Box360 and PS3

Wow didn't notice the hidden link, nice find guys!

As far as the amount of characters per game, 20 is just right. An extra 2-4 hidden characters mixed in somehow also should be required. But I'd really like to see HARD TO FIND characters, stuff that we don't even know about until much later after the game is out. That mystique has been hard to keep going in the post-arcade days. But I'd like to see them attempt it.

Well Boon sounded far less sure in the video I saw last night (there's another thread about it) and he seemed to be a bit iffy on the exact number. He said "10 or 11 on each side" which sounds like they're still debating the final roster.