Are you excited MK8 is getting a fresh start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me as one of the excited ones. Noticebly I will be disappointed if it is a VS game, however, still glad MK gets a clean swipe. After so many years of the same characters, (It's been about 15 years,) Perhaps a new image for MK8 along with a new fighting engine and new other game modes will really excite the new players.

As in Player vs AI/Player?

I'd be pissed if it was anything else. It is a fighting game after all.

I'd like to see it more strict along the lines of a tournament like the original instead of a free for all where you jump across entire realms or switch from one to the next.

Make it mystical and interesting again.

I kinda agree with Tim Static here. MKA was a joke. While MKDA was well made game for it's time, it didn't necessarily transfer over well to MKD.

At any rate, I still have huge expectations for MK8, I think Ed Boon will do a good job, no doubt.

Here is what Team MK & Midway SHOULD do with MK8.

1. Ed & John make-up and hug. Then make it 2-d again.

2. Go online MULTI-PLATFORM so you can play PS3 users against 360 owners, etc.

3. Mass produce an arcade stick to play it on (multi-platform as well)

And these are the keys to MK8 getting a FLAWLESS VICTORY!

I can't stand joysticks. Never could pull off any special moves when I played MK in arcades (except the spear throw). Plus, there's no market for a 2-D game except on a handheld, however horrible that may seem. Although if they made it 2-D it could seriously cut back on production time and cost (new technologies and whatnot). As for the multi-platform online play, that's a function to be implemented by the console creators as they share separate networks on separate servers run by competing companies with different online capabilities. Plus, I like 3-D. Maybe make a 2-D for the DS? I'd hit that.

Look at the SF series. Went 3-d, sucked balls, so they went back to 2-D are is still the most famous fighter ever. And with SF4, you'll see the scene for 2-d isnt dead.

MK became what it is back in the 2-D era in the arcades, lost it with MK4, arcades died out, and the games have lacked ever since.

But it wouldnt be manditory to use a stick. Use a pad, or a key board, but make sperate rooms online for the different users, etc.

MK hasnt been very good since they stopped making 2-D MK games. MK:DA had promise, but it went put the window with MK:D. And MK:A is a joke.

I am exited to finally see MK, "reboot." However, you are not giving credit to the 3D MK Games where you should. To be frank, the last, "MK," MK Game was MK4, (Gold,) and that game pretty much decimated what was left of the fan base. Mortal Kombat, ever after MKII, has fought a battle against creative story lines and intricate fighting systems; vs the fans' desire for the same old rut of a story and the same old HP, LP, etc.

Midway's worst enemy, and I do stand by this, is their own fans. The Mortal Kombat fan base is extremely hypocritical, un-decisive, and un-supportive of Midway's efforts to rejuvenate their franchise. I think that is where most of the problem lies. Fans have been fans for so long that they somehow think that they now own the franchise, and that Midway somehow owes them something. So, whenever Midway takes tries to take the series in a new direction; the fans inevitably retaliate.

The Fans have not been truly happy with MK after MKII. The old adage seems to apply here, "You can't go home again," The old school fans, the bulk of the fan base, want MK to be nothing more than the storyline, 2D Graphics, and old-school simple fighting engine repeated again, and again, and again. The fans are trying to live in the past and get increasingly pissed off every time Midway tries to save the franchise by bringing it into the future. Here, let me cite examples.

The MK3 Generation of games made the series better by giving it:
A: Crisper Graphics.
B: A better, more intuitive, and more realistic combo system.
C: A Run Button.
D: Brutalities and Animalities.
E: A new storyline that frees MK from the stagnant nature of tournament battle and truly lays the foundation for it being a, "modern mythology." To be frank, MK 1 and 2's story lines look like nothing more than a blatant rip off of old-school Asian Karate Movies. Which is no surprise considering that's exactly what they were. The MK3 storyline was the first time Midway treated the game's story as original, something of their own creation. Not just a rip off of Martial Arts Movies.
F: By MKT of the MK3 Generation, we now have every 2D MK Kombatant that was ever in any previous game.
G: The Aggressor Bar adds even more fun and strategy to the game play.

Now I have highlighted all the ways that the MK3 Generation made the series better than anything ever done in MK1 and MKII combined. I used to ask myself how anyone could possibly call MKII and MK1 better than the MK3s. What I didn't understand when I was younger was the psychology of fandom. I didn't realize that fans, typically, fall in love with what they played first, defend it to the end, and despise everything new; even though it is clearly better. Everyone has to admit, on a technical standpoint if nothing else, that the MK3s far surpassed and put to shame MK1 and MKII. Yet, the fans still prefer MKII because of personal reasons, emotional reasons, taste, and mostly old-school nostalgia. But, clearly, there is no technical reason to support MK 1 and MKII over the MK3s.

Well now, let us look at MK4:
A: 3D Graphics. The graphics were no doubt a departure from the 2D image capture that made MK into the icon it is. However, and I know the fans will fight me on this, MK couldn't have, to spite every original fan boy's wet dream, stayed 2D forever. Technology changed, the market changed, Midway had to change with it or loose their franchise. Considering the, "boxy," nature of polygonal 3D of the early 3D systems, MK's transition into 3D fared far better than most.
B: A Weapon System that, while often complained about, was great. Personally, and this is me here, I liked it better than the MKDA weapons system. It seemed like so many critics and fans *****ed about the MK4 weapon system that they had to butcher it when they went to MKDA. The MKDA weapon system is too easy. It can't be dropped, it can't be stolen; it's hard wired into each Kombatant. Once again, yet another example of Midway butchering their own games to please their ignorant fan-base. If anyone ever truly learned how to use the weapon system, while demanding, it is perfectly viable. It just seemed like so many critics and fans picked it up, got the weapon knocked out of their hands a good five times in a row, then decided to ***** about.
C: Once again, in response to the fans, Midway tried to trim out the, "good natured alities of MK yore," trimming it only to stage fatalities and two fatalities. Too many fans *****ed and moaned about MK having fun fatalities and wanted carnage and only that. Another example of how the fan base doesn't understand that MK was never supposed to be taken seriously. "MK is not for fighting game fans, MK is for MK fans," - Some Person, I think on this board. MK was supposed to be a comedic and sarcastic, over the top, parody of fighting movies; it was never supposed to be serious. But, again, more butchering of the game for the fans.

Again, here we have two key points of innovation, and cutting back of ideas to please the fans, and we get nothing but complaints from the fans.

On to the revolution that is MKDA:
A: MKDA added a new, smoothers, realistic, graphic engine.
B: MKDA, finally, redid the fighting mechanic. Considering, yet another reason, so many of the critics and fans despised MK4 was the fact that is was a 2D mechanic with a 3D engine.
C: Added Konquest mode, while still juvenile compared to MKD and MKA, it was the foundation of things to come and a good convention for delivering more detailed story lines.
D: Re-mystified the series with the introduction of the Dragon Egg and the re-introduction of Blaze.

MKDA saved the series; there is no question there at all. It breathed new life into an otherwise long dead property. Needless to say, fans still were not pleased.

Last edited:
So, here we go, MKD. If MKDA didn't get the fans, let's try with super-star might to springboard off of MKDA and create what is ultimately Midway's best attempt yet to recreate MKII in 3D. After all, it is what the fans have always wanted... right?

A: Death Traps.
B: Lights on Health Bars to aid people new to the series.
C: Return of more Old-School Kombatants.
D: Innovative Konquest System.
E: Inclusion of Chess ad Puzzle Kombat.
F: First MK to go online, mainstream.
G: Hari Kiri.

Yet, and again when thought about not as surprising as it initially was, the fans were still not 100% pleased. After all, even with Midway's best efforts to relive the past, the game was 3D. And in the Book of Bull that almost every hard-edged MK Faithful carries around, 3D can NEVER! be as good as 2D. What we see here is the true manifestation of the disease that will likely be the death of the franchise. How is a franchise supposed to keep alive, without fan support? Well, how does a franchise get fan support when the fans don't want their franchise to be modernized?

Once again, look at it from a standpoint of a study in psychology. Clearly MKD is far better than anything ever done in MKII. Yet, Old-School fans still stay loyal to MKII. It's not that MKII is a better game, technically speaking, it obviously isn't. It is dated and infantile compared to contemporary standards. The reason the fans resist change is because in the hay day of MKII arcades were still a social scene. Many fans met a lot of good friends and had a lot of fun times playing this game with others. They attach this memory of innocence , friendship, and youth to the game that was its catalyst. In short, MKII became an important part of most MK Fans' childhood and early social development.

As the fans got older, and many of them more bitter at the world, they too got bitter at the continued sequels of their favorite game. They wanted their childhood left alone, and MKII with it. So, they take a defensive standpoint on MKII and an offensive standpoint of every sequel to come; in order to protect their favorite game and everything about their childhood it stands for.

From this perspective we can clearly see that the old-school fans, likely, will never be happy with anything Midway does with the franchise. They are lost in the pages of time,and their take and opinions on anything past MKII, as far as a critical analysis, do not matter. They will likely never judge any of the new games fairly, and as such, whatever they have to say is tainted and means little.

Last edited:
My hope is that with MK8 re-hauling the series; the old-school MK fan base will lay down their swords and stop their crusade against MK3 onward. Midway can't make you happy, you don't want them to! Buy an MKII arcade, or if you can't afford it MKII for Midway Arcade Treasures 2, and go play that alone in your room or with your friends your own age! Please, for any love and respect that you still have for Midway and MK, stop unjustifiably dogging every attempt Midway has made to keep their, not yours, their franchise!.

I know that most of you will take offense, and this post is likely to be deleted. But, for the few that read it before it is, maybe it will save MK and Midway at least that much more.

You do realize that everything you just said is not going to ever happen, don't you?

1: Ed and John went their separate ways on creative issues. John and many of the Midway team formed their own company. You just don't get back together after that.

2: Multi-Platform is hard, as another member has already explained. This, too, will likely never happen.

3: They are, likely, not going to mass produce an arcade stick for MK. To be frank, most of the gaming market doesn't know how to use an arcade stick anymore, considering the arcades have been dead for a good decade. Trying to force feed arcade sticks down the throats of the modern market will no doubt be a financial disaster.

Oh, and most importantly, MK will never be 2D again. The 2D days of MK, and video games in general, are dead and never coming back. If you think otherwise; you are diluted, living in the past, and are burdening the series from any real progress by projecting onto its future development unrealistic and selfish expectations.

The MK you fell in love with is gone, and most overwhelmingly likely, is never, ever, coming back. Please, stop asking for the improbable. It's annoying...

Moneye, thank for youre last 5 comments. I don't know how long I've been waiting for someone to say those excact worlds. Probable for about 7 years now.

"Mortal Kombat fan base is extremely hypocritical, un-decisive, and un-supportive of Midway's efforts to rejuvenate their franchise"

Not only that, but I would say that they are being unrealistic in their drive for MK. Everytime the MK team moves takes a degre of freedom, they are criticized on sites like MKO. It's like. WTF?

The 1990s were the start of MK, but they are not what MK will be based on in the future. Just because something has a base, does not mean that base is what the correct vision is for how the game should be made for the future.

Mooneye, not only is the common fan ignorant, but they have a poor man's perspective about how a fighting game should be made. The heck with what they think. Ed Boon should just see his vision of MK gaming into reality.

As I keep saying, in this day and age if a game francise doesn't move forward it gets shoved aside.

Street Fighter is still heavily criticised for not going 3D whenever it brings out yet another 2D fighting game. In the number of years its been around, its still not much different from the game its started out as. And when they did try 3D they made it horribly slow (worst the MK) yet despite this its only fault was the slowness. Having owned this game, I can say MK4 knocks socks off SF. Then SF got afriad of its 3D game and has tried to avoid it since because the game didn't sell.

MK:Arm sold over 1 mil copies... that more then many other games out there have sold. Out of all the other fighting games I've played (and I love fighting games), the only one I can say supasses it is Soulc Calibeur, for obivous reason; you just can't compare this game to any other out there. :/

Edit:

And as for SF being popualur, this is a cult series in Japan, Japanese love it. Why its still going, because their still producing other francise for it. You want a sexy female fighter model? Look on any anime figurine sites you'll find them. The Japanese also produce masses of "Hentai" of all the characters in the series, thus you just can't compete with the average Japanese fan. Plus you can't dam well compete with the Japanese SF player. Their just too good and for a westerner to hit them once is admirable to them.

Outside of Japan, its a different question with the fact its "anime" being the only real reason why its populaur still and that a lot of male fans can find (steal) the Japanese hentai and buy the countless figures easily. Take out the fact its anime, the storyline is minute in comparison to MK and the game style is still the same as its ever been. What sells SF is its fanism; the star characters, the sexiness of the female characters, the countless things carrying its name, Japan... But very little about the game actually sells itself, other then fact it carries the "SF" name. Without being what it is in Japan, SF is nothing.

You have to admire MK, its doesn't produce a lot of francise nor does it have the cult appeal like SF has in Japan, yet it still is selling? What does that say? It hasn't got the things that sells SF, yet its doing well for itself, that can't be bad considering the number of compalints against it. If your looking for sexy characters alone, MK has better looking females (and not so better looking ones...) then SF and this is coming from the words of a woman.

Edit:

Now I'm thinking... Had I not brought SC2 + SC3 I would have enjoyed MK:D and MK:Arm a lot more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.