• New Wave of British Metal

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Death/Black Metal

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Heavy Metal

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Shao Khan

Here are a few bands that go to each catogory.

Thrash Metal:
1)Metallica
2)Megadeth
3)Anthrax
4)Slayer

Glam Metal:
1)Montley Crue
2)Twisted Sister
3)Poison

Power Metal:
1)Iced Earth
2)Dragonforce
3)Hammerfall
4)Manowar

New Wave Of British Metal:
1)Motor head
2)Saxon
3)Diomond Head

Death:
1)Possessed
2)Death
3)Cannibal Corpse

Norwegian/Black Metal:
1)Mayhem
2)Absu
3)Gorgoroth

Heavy Metal:
-Well any other band I did not mention i'm sure it goes under this genre.

They're more Metal genres but these are usualy the most famous.
I myself is in love with Thrash Metal. But not everyone is...

Last edited:
well, out of all the bands you name the only one i like is Megadeth. But I voted for New wave. because I associate New wave to 80s music. and I love the 80s.

Wheres Nu Metal? Korn, Fear Factory, Static X etc? Death and Black Metal are very different too. Quite often Black is more surreal, taking the music down different paths, not just hardcore thrashing with growling lyrics.

The metal I listen to isn't listed, sorry Shao Kahn buddy.

I like ALL REAL METAL

Glam metal? not really

Thrash/Death/Black/Speed/Heavy Metal are my top faves.

Dragonforce, Slayer, Megadeth, Slipknot, Saliva, Fear Factory, Helloween, Judas Priest, The Sword, Lamb of God...ect.

Death and Black Metal are very different too.

Indeed (I'll leave out my problems with calling Fear Factory "nu-metal"). I could see grouping death and grindcore together, even though that's been omitted here, but not death and black; there are plenty people out there who actually love one genre and hate the other. Also, Khan, you only have black metal bands listed under that category-- death metal would include the likes of Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy and Suffocation.

As far as my favorite genre, it tends to go back and forth between thrash and death metal. Thrash, on one hand, you can't really go wrong with and there are few surprises, and of course it's at the core of most extreme metal, but death metal I find to be more dynamic, and obviously it completely outshines everything else in brutality. Eh, for now, I'd probably say death metal.

I would have to say Thrash or Heavy Metal but my days as a metal head are well over I left them somewhere behind in the late nineties.

I'm not a real metal fan, but I would like to see/add Progressive Metal. :p

Dream Theater(/Liquid Tension Experiment)
Symphony X
Ayreon

(There are more, but I only listen to these bands. -- I'm more into progressive rock and jazz than metal :p)

What would you class stuff like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage under? Whatever that is, thats what i like:)

That would be metalcore, although those types of bands are also referred to by the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" label by some (alongside acts like Lamb of God, Chimaira and Shadows Fall).

Lamb of God I think is thrash metal more so than metalcore, but that's just my opinion.

I like metalcore a lot, bands like: As I Lay Dying, Demon Hunter, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, All That Remains, ect.

Lamb of God I think is thrash metal more so than metalcore, but that's just my opinion.

I tend to call them "thrashcore" personally, but labeling is fairly subjective anyway, especially for a band like that. Technically speaking, they do mix metal and hardcore, so they still get tossed under that umbrella a lot.

Well guys although you are right, I did say their is more metal genres but i can't really name em all. The poles only go up to 10. Also Death and black metal are diffrent but not every one can really tell, if it's really a bother ill change it. Also I said I will mention a few bands that go to each category not all of them.

I tend to call them "thrashcore" personally, but labeling is fairly subjective anyway, especially for a band like that. Technically speaking, they do mix metal and hardcore, so they still get tossed under that umbrella a lot.

Yeah, they do mix genres a bit. Still, it is all METAL and that's what counts.

First of all,the black/death metal thingy is not working..and i don't know if C.O.F is still metal with their new temptation piece of shit

Death is a completely diffrent genre,and personally,i like death metal the most and black metal..well i don't like it,can't say i hate it though

But seriously people..I think that metal is ruined by these too many sub-genres example

Faggot one:"Listen to this shit"

Faggot two:"Oh i don't like this,you listen to punk metal,dark metal,heavy metal,trash metal,death metal,black metal,sandwich metal...I prefer classic metal,soft metal,doom metal,funural metal,sensitive metal,emo metal..."

Overall I'd say death,
but I love a lot of different sub-genres.

Black,melo-death,progressive,neoclassical,Power,all that good stuff.
and yes there are alot that I've neglected to mention because people might say (oh you mean like "insert popular band here"?
no,I don't mean like that band,I mean like good stuff.

say for instance the Goth Metal genre.
somebody might say "oh like Evanesence?"
first off,evanesence is far from goth,and second IMO I'd say they blow,but this is my opinion.
anyways,I mean like Nightwish,Edenbridge,Magica,and Mortal Love.

damn,there is a bit too many subgenres I guess.
but eh.

I am all about the metal!

and it's Motley Crue

also Killswitch and Atreyu, i would class as post-hardcore emo metal

I like death and black, I like bands like Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir

I like all kinds of metal.
Ranging from speed and thrash metal to power metal and nu-metal.
Bands I listen to include : Lordi, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Body Count, Pantera, Anthrax, Dope, Theory of a Deadman and of course... Metallica.