MK:A vs Sc3... A comparison from Heaven

Angel

Last week I picked up Soul Calibeur 3 + MK:Arm-whatever the spelling at the same time... So I decided for the first time I'll give a SOLID look over and compare the two games!

Opinion time!

==SC3 Vs MK:A==

SC3 wins in gameplay... Atmospheric feel... And character Development.

MKA wins in Non-Arena style side-stuff, Character (re)design + create a fighter and Voice Acting. Storyline.

I can *See* why some peeps don't like MK:Arm. Its not the game itself, there is new ideas in it... Its there is a missing spark which MK:Deception had in it. I found myself eaily picking up MK:D and playing it for several days, I even beat it in hardest difficultly, though it took forever and a day. MK:A I've played only a few times, while I enjoy its Conquest mode, the fighting game itself disappoints.

It feels like the mechinics of the fighting styles suck this time round. I don't know, even with air-combat, there is something missing from them. Something *Different* about it.

MK:A will never beat SC3 in atmosphere, I think the Mk team could pick up a few ideas though from the Namco guys on how to make a game thats crap feel like a jewel.... And that doesn't imply SC3 is crap at all.

SC3's create a character sucks, its no shining jewel at all. MKA's create a fighter far suprasses SC3s one. It the level of detail you can put into it, its somewhat more fun trying to create the characters then playing as them in some cases. I think Namco could do with taking notes on it, in this case. I'd say SC3 is the simplier of the two ones... But even that is somewhat not true.

The MK: Dark feel to MK:A isn't there in it... That dark forbodding atmosphere of death and struggle just isn't there past the introduction (which has gone down in my books as one of the best intros I've seen). The Fatalities have been dumbed down to create a fatality which sucks. I agree, its EASIER to do... However, without the unique character stuff in it it pretty much is down played. I miss that kind of thing.

On the one hand, while the redesign and new designs of several MK Characters is great and wins my little MK fan-girl heart, the general character develope itself is not very good. Too much attention was paid to those faces we've not seen in a while I felt, so the old faces who have appeared recently were somewhat ignored.

On SC3s note, while some characters got weakened such as Kilik (my bro's fav. character) and Ivy (my fav. charcter), others like Cassandra now few a million bucks darn better then in SC2. The new characters though... Well... There is nothing specutatulaur about the Scyth guy and sword woman... They both feel like they like general fighting style development, both pretty much rethinks of other characters. Tira is the only one of the three that stands out, her style is unique and not just another rethink of old characters. Other characters remain simulair to Sc2 and many old faces now return to light again.

The voice acting in MK:Arm wins over SC3 by far. *SOME* characters are great as ever in SC3, but others like IVY, they just suck bringing down its overall score. Ivy's new dull voice makes her annoying. MK:arm has ditched the voice acting it had in MK:Deception now (which resulting in characters talking to you as though you were stupid) and now suprasses SC3 for overall voice acting.

Both game have their ups and downs... But the trouble with MK:A is as you can tell, is the ups for it are in ALL the wrong places. This is not what you expect from a game thats been going on for well over a decade now and its very disappointing. Generally, what sells the MK media is its fanbase who have mostly followed it for over a decade. We've made it a cult classic game, one that you don't want to see die. I'm glad I brought the game, despite its downfalls, if MK died I'd cry because its the end of another series I've come to know so well over the years... And it would be the BIGGEST fan disappointment ever to me.

On the other hand if SC died... Well the trouble with this series is that its pretty much just another game with a lot of hype around it. You can loose the SC series, but not be disappointed because the game pretty much are a legacy in themselves and they have the same feel as the day you brought them. You can't really compare one game to this, but more one SC to another.

Overall, though... Seriously... They both come to about the same status if you really compare the two overall. But I find myself playing SC3 far more then MK:Arm... There is something wrong there, seriously, considering I'm a MK fan not a SC fan. o_O

On another note... I picked up MK:SM too! I'm not one bit disappointed with that buy at all. Its worth it... Now if ONLY I could get my bro to help me beat the game with two player. XD

Last edited:
I can't comment on SC3 b/c it's a PS2 exclusive...dammit. But from what I see of SC2 it definitely trumps MK in terms of gameplay (though I'm not very good at it). SC is pretty with extravogant realistic arenas and player models but Mortal Kombat has much better story (MUCH better) and terrific character design which gives me more to think about after the game is said and done than SC games. SC is there to be played. MK is there to be more than a game; it's an interactive story.

True! Even though I don't have a PS2, I've played Soul Calibur 3. Both of you are right about SC3 better in terms of gameplay, and MK got the win with KAK, storyline and arenas. But when comparing, I think both are crap when it comes to the voice-acting, in my opinion. Even though these games I'm gonna mention are not in it for comparing with both SC3 and MK: Armageddon, but I think the action games like GTA, Getaway, etc. had better voice-acting than both games, but who cares.

The car game in MK:Arm had my bro hooked...

Why doesn't Midway produce that game (with more characters, tracks etc.) as its own game. If they played their cards right, that could sell as well as MK:SM.

Plus it was dam fun seeing all the silly foul ups I kept making and watching my character die horribly as a result of it. XD

Edit:

Yeah SC's storyline is pretty much "Lets go after Nightmare and that blasted sword again!" whereas MK has many other stuff going on. So yeah, it wins for storyline too! I forgot about the storyline.

Soul calibur is a good game but i never really sat down and played sc3 since i only have an xbox but I have played it at eb games and it was great. I was hooked and got sc2