First Impressions (Yours, Mine, All)

El Chupacabra

Well. Most of you posting here now have your hands on Mortal Kombat: Deception. Some of you will love it, some will hate it, others will say "so-so". No matter how you feel on the game this thread is about your first impressions of the game.

What do you like about it? What don't you like? Feel free to list your comments and critisims about the game so far.

Nice thread. I love it so far. Which is odd, cuz I hated MKDA. Online rocks, this is like the future of arcades. My record is nice right now, 12/3. Konquest is a game inside a game, and instead of just getting koins, you have to search for your characters. Which in my opinion, is a lot more rewarding. I haven't played puzzle or chess kombat yet, but chess looks sweet. All the characters I have been so far seem fun to be, and balanced. All except Kabal. Just like in MK3, his moves are overpowering. Oh well, Ermac and I can deal just fine with that. Overall, I would give the game a 9/10.

My First Impression

I own the xbox version. This game rocks. I have been a MK fan now since the release of the original Mortal Kombat. MKD is way better than MKDA. I like MKDA it was something new. The game is smooth and fast. It still has the same "combo styles" as MKDA but it seems improved...more fluid. The camera angles are superb. At the end of Scorpions matches, if he wins, he throws his rope spear directly towards you and says "come here"! He then pulls the spear back and the camera follows all the way til you get a close up of scorpion. How's that for close ups? Oh yeah no one has mentioned that there are some classic stages from the previous games in this one (like the forest in MK2 with the same music). The konquest mode is new and fresh giving it some purpose (better than MKDA konquest). Overall the graphics on the xbox version are stunning. Excellent game!

I totally dig it. I haven't even delved into the other modes of play yet, but I'll do that later tonight. All the death traps and multi-teered arenas freaking rule, and seeing the pit in 3D was just awesome. I couldn't figure out how to do the death-trap with the island where you're supposed to get eaten by piranhas, though. It was also very nice to see Scorpion not getting screwed in his ending this time. :D

So what's the reaction to the Dragon King? Man, I got my ass whupped like 9 times before I beat him, and then I played through again as Mileena and swept him both rounds the first time I faced him. Anyway, I'm sure my neighbors had fun hearing me yell obscenities.

I gotta say that it was difficult to get used to doing combos at first, 'cause the reaction time is different than the last game. Even though I knew all of Scorpion's combos, I had to go through the game a couple times before I could pull them off easy.

I love MK Online! That is the best thing to happen to the MK series in a long time. The characters are great, the gameplay is great. The only thing I don't like is that in Konquest you have to keep going through the stupid training. I wish there was an option to bypass that part of it. I'm almost all the way through Konquest now, but I hate having to keep pressing X, or O, and learning how to punch and kick with every character. Geez, I've played MKDA, let me get on with the game!

Arcade mode - Better than ever. I actually love Noob Smoke as the sub-boss. He really brings back an old school feel, kind of like the endurance rounds in MK1 and MKT. Oh, and finally, a boss that actually puts up a fight before dying. Onaga is not easy, but it's still fun to try and kick his ass.

10/10

Chess Kombat - This is absolutely brilliant. I've never played chess before, but this mode is kickass. It might be only one round of Mortal Kombat to take the square, but it's still great. I also love to see some of the old levels they used in it. The Pit, The Deadpool, The Portal... etc etc.

10/10

Puzzle Kombat - I wasn't really that impressed... I thought there would be more to it, but theres not. It lacks quite a few things. Personally, I think it should have been us fighting on the bottom of the screen, and whoever wins causes the other player's blocks to fill etc etc. Just my opinion, though.

5/10

Konquest Mode - I love this just as much as I love Arcade and Chess Kombat. When you're playing as Shujinko, you must really think about what you're doing. It's fun to run around the realms and find characters to teach you their fighting styles and shit. It's also nice to help people out with sidequests. You get more koins and other things for them. Oh, and try to find as many keys as possible. Some of them unlock special items in the krypt... Like Scorpion's Alt Costume, for one.

10/10

Online - Haven't tried it yet... :cry:

?/10

Graphics - Best graphics in a game i've seen in a very long time. 'Nuff said. :lol:

10/10

Fighting - Ah yes, the fighting. It has actually somewhat changed since MKDA. I know it's alike in many ways, but there are different things about it. It's also great to see that they gave the uppercut back to most characters. Combo breakers were a nice addition, too. As well as the danger meters under the character's lifebars. They are very helpful this time around. :D

10/10

Characters - As most of the character designs are awesome, most of their fighting styles are from MKDA. Lets take Havik for exsample. His styles are Snake and Tang So Doo. One was Shang Tsungs, and the other was Quan Chi's, I believe. Sindel also as one of Nitara's fighting styles. It's still great, but the comobs are the same, and you feel like you've already played as the character. Try and get a little original here, midway...

8/10

Fatalities - FLAWLESS VICTORY! I think they are definately more brutal this time around. I also love that each character has 2. In a way, we've already seen the best ones. However, there are still many characters who's fatalities have yet to be seen. :wink:

10/10

Death traps - A very nice addition to the game. It's like Boon said, you actually care about which level you want now. The outcome of the fight truely does rely on the level. Not to mention that some of their new level designs are great. Oh, and as I said earlier... It's nice to the see old school levels back in Chess Kombat. The fatalities you can use against them in these levels are better than before.

10/10 -

Well, I think that about covers it... and thats my opinion/review on the game.

All in all... It's either a game you love or hate. I don't think there is really an in-between.

Almost having my copy. I still thinking I can post my feelings so far.
I didn't enjoy that much MKDA like I thought I will but MKD looks like what I wanted from MKDA. So there huge chance that I'll give this game 9.0 or 9.5 (I'm very critical so it is an almost perfect score on my ratings)

AWESOME!!! ABSOLUTELY the best fighting game have ever played. I spent an hour and a half at Gamestop play the game beating up little kids and the employees because I couldn't wait to play the game until I got home. The background interaction is unmatchable and flawless. Fatalities are creative and innovative. How anyone could not like this game is beyond me. I can't wait for my birthday next week and get the online playing going. FINISH HIM!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't know if it's just me, but the characters seem to be a little slower and slightly less responsive than in MKDA.

Mr. Scorpion said:
So hows the old school MK1 turned out?? whoever has the collective and premium packs.
I haven't been able to remove the disc for Deception to try out MK1!!

Unfortunetly I only got to play a few rounds in arcade, because I had a 4,000 word essay which I crammed in last night. However from those few rounds I played I thought the graphics were amazing and clean. Ill be getting more into the game today. I also registered JMILLS online ! Checked out the set up and format for online play, which I was pretty impressed with, regardless of how amazing this game already is, ill post my full thoughts on Deception later.

Baiscly what Bloodlust said, that is how I would rate everything. However, I like the tetris-like game a bit more. Though, I can't stop thinking how much a rip off it is of the street fighter one.

I highly enjoyed MKDA, and so far I'm much more impressed with MKD, all except for the music. The sound is excellent, but the music is sparse and a bit boring.

My only bad reaction to the game right now is the controller scheme. I absolutely hate the idea that Sub-Zero's freeze is now on what would be commonly known as Low-Kick (despite the new Attack-style layout).

But I think Deception is a great game so far!

The thing that's on my nerves right now though is the fact that the supposed ''Arcade Perfect'' version of MK1 on the PS2 has got MAJOR SOUND ISSUES!! I already started a thread on this in the ''Classic'' forums, but.. all I can say is thank God for MAME, because this version is an absolute piece of crap!!

maybe im the only one that thinks so, but the character graphics dont seem as full as something as in MK:DA, one example is when it does the close up on Scorpion after he wins, it doesnt look as good as it did in MK:DA, but other than that so far the game is incredible.

Little details is what makes this game awesome, but specially all major adittions over Deadly Alliance makes Deception the best Kombat ever!

Fighting system retains the main escense from Deadly Alliance; three styles- one of which's a weapon stance. Only this time some punches and kicks (speaking of returning from DA) vary, all characters move, play, fight way faster and quicker. Deception can deliver some great adrenaline-based combat at its best! Not to mention uppercuts.

Death Traps are simply breath taking: why? Because the arenas look really gorgeus, I mean really, then touched with interactivity around the levels and the final touch of a sudden death between traps... Awesome. I haven't seen all levels, just a few, but so far Falling Cliff and Sky Temple are my favorites, to name a few.

The graphics are nicely updated since Deadly Alliance. It's nice to see how characters look close to those in MK4 (or MK Gold) speaking about their phisics (beleive me when I say this is a good thing), looks like Scorpion had been excersiceing during the last two years and lost some pounds. Other returning did as well. My only complain is that if you play close attention to the eye-candy arenas and non-the-less beautiful character models during the fight, they don't simply quit match at all... But you forget soon on that.

As I started talking about little details: when the first round is finished, you remember in Deadly Alliance the character that lost stood up in different ways, which became old soon, specially because they did not have personality: now there are personal ways to stand up; Sub-Zero for example stands up with ice power, Scorpion uses his spear; throwing it to the roof... Some others does different things, like Baraka and more. Details, there are many thrown around.

Speaking about Mini-games, altough I've just played like for 5 hours this game (not enough at all), I'm just gonna say Puzzel Kombat is good and entertaining, Chess Kombat is really great and Konquest mode is shaping out to be very good: it's fun seeing those kids pretending to be famous MK characters.

On a side note: a friend who I know is not an MK fan, who did not like MK Deadly Alliance; I found him twice attached to his TV this afternoon and night playing MK Deception after he got it earlier today. He just can't stop saying "wows" to the death traps, fatalities and to the whole game in general. He says he loves it.

I wouldn't dare to give a review punctuation so far, I need more hours, beat Konquest, watch some endings, and of course, getting the rest of characters I'm lacking of!

Oh yeah! Almost forgot... Why the hell everytime they get an MK character from a previeus game out of the new one they put in one that resembles a lot to the replaced one? Johnny Cage is not here, but instead they put (and excuse me I don't remember the name) this new guy with sun glasses and with his main fighting style being the same Johnny used... I mean, this is way too obvious, and it bothers... I don't want to get started with Ken- I mean; Kobra.

So far (and screwing the last part): Flawless Victory MK Team!

As for me I must say I like the game a lot so far. It's taking a while to get used to the mechanical fight/block system in this game again. I'm used to playing really fast figthing games like Soul Calibur 2 ... so this is a big change. Havn't played MK:DA for over a year and a half.

I'm not going to go into a long post about what's good or bad but I will make a few statements.

Good: Grahpics are nice. Lot's of fatalities, nice arenas, lots of secrets, good amount of characters, awesome chess/puzzle modes.

Bad: My main issue with the game is as far as combatants/moves go there seems to be a lack of originality. Normally the staff is very creative in terms of characters but this game just seems to have a lot of un-interesting, bland, and boring characters (in both terms of story and appearance).

I also have a major issue with a few characters sharing moves. Was it so hard to make Ermac have different abilities than Kenshi or vise-versa. Yes, I know the history of both ... but you didn't see Frost having mirror moves to Sub-Zero. I'm a bit disapointed in that ... especailly since I really like Ermac but never was a big fan of Kenshi and his telekenetic moves.

Konquest mode is okay. Could have been better. Guess it could have been worse. I like how you have to unlock things through it though and think it's a good idea that you have to play certain characters to learn the basics of their moves. Cameos are nice but really seem out of place. You just walk around and run into guys who attack for no reason and so forth ... story is very very very weak.

As for Shujinko. I can't say i've ever ran into more of a "dolt" or dumbass in all my life. The guy has the worst personality of all time.

Anyway. Those are my first impressions.

BloodLust said:
10/10

Fighting - Ah yes, the fighting. It has actually somewhat changed since MKDA. I know it's alike in many ways, but there are different things about it. It's also great to see that they gave the uppercut back to most characters. Combo breakers were a nice addition, too. As well as the danger meters under the character's lifebars. They are very helpful this time around. :D

From what I heard, the AL system is just as bad as in MK:DA. So, I definitely wouldn't give the fighting system a perfect 10. :wink:

The AI system is actully very good. Better than any other fighter out there.. maybe not VF 4. But the guys never do the same move twice in a row, when you attack low a lot, they will remember that for the next round, and block low a lot. If you use a special move a lot, they find a way to counter it after awhile. You CAN'T cheat the AI like in many other MK's. And the difficult settings they have are well done. Novice is just fun to try new things with, easy is easy, medium is a bit of a challange, and hard is close to immpossible with characters you have not masterd.