Is MK II's difficulty on MAT2 the same on all platforms (xbox, ps2, cube)?

mrclean08

I'm having the most difficult time playing through Mortal Kombat II on MAT2 for xbox. I'm lucky if I can even get to the second opponent. Is MK II's difficulty on MAT2 the same on all platforms (xbox, ps2, cube)?

Yeah, it's scaled just like the arcades. Believe it or not, Mortal Kombat used to be a tough game to beat, until you actually learned the tricks of the AI.

I think UMK3 was the last one that actually presented a real challenge to beat. When they got away from true bosses and started making them playable in the story arc, they had to be balanced with the other characters. This made for easy boss fights, like Shinnok, and the Tsung-Chi combo.

Just buckle down and study what the computer does. A lot of the older games was baiting the computer into an attack, countering it, then putting together some juggle combo to win.

Good luck!

I guess because I was so spoiled with the easy difficulty on the SNES version back in the day.

Do you know if the PS2 resolution of MKII on MAT2 is a little better than the Xbox version?

almost everything....ALMOST....on the xbox looks better than the ps2. simply because xbox came out later with later technology. now with the new generation systems they're pretty much even, depending on the game.

Last edited:
Uh... for any of the ports of MATII or the like, the answer is no. The graphics are that of the Arcade. The engine for neither Playstation nor XBox has anything to do with it.

It's still a 395x253 pixel image projected with 256 colors that "has been formatted to fit your screen" meaning, it's blown up. If you want it to be just as sharp as an arcade monitor, go find yourself a 4:3 ratio 25" color television tube. You'll be all set then :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's scaled just like the arcades. Believe it or not, Mortal Kombat used to be a tough game to beat, until you actually learned the tricks of the AI.

I think UMK3 was the last one that actually presented a real challenge to beat. When they got away from true bosses and started making them playable in the story arc, they had to be balanced with the other characters. This made for easy boss fights, like Shinnok, and the Tsung-Chi combo.

Just buckle down and study what the computer does. A lot of the older games was baiting the computer into an attack, countering it, then putting together some juggle combo to win.

Good luck!

You are actually right about this. I took some time today to actually study and learn how to play it again. I was able to get a couple more victories including a couple flawless ones. Maybe I sucked because I hadn't played it since the SNES version came out back in the mid 90's and the rust thickened.

I ended up buying MK Shaolin Monks like 30mins ago and unlocked MKII on it and I have to say, it looks a little bit better to me than the Xbox version on MAT2. The colors look a lot better but I can tell the Xbox version has a bit more detail. It just feels better on a PS2 pad though.

Uh... for any of the ports of MATII or the like, the answer is no. The graphics are that of the Arcade. The engine for neither Playstation nor XBox has anything to do with it.

true. I simply meant for games designed for the consoles themselves. in the case of ports, ports of any kind (particularly when porting older gen games and arcades) will and should look like their source material regardless of console. that's what i meant to say, thanx for bringing that up.