My thoughts on MK : Armageddon.

Neo Gunloc

Yes finally !
After much delays from the suppliers, I've finally gotten a hold of the much anticipated final chapter of the MK saga on current-gen consoles.
Here's what I think of the game and it's various modes of play.

Mortal Kombat-
The heart of the package feels like a hit and miss affair to me.
Sure, there are over 60 playable characters, and beating your opponents senseless feels as familiar as playing MKDA and MKD.
And that's the main problem.
The reduced amount of fighting styles available to a single Kombatant make the flow of the action somewhat smoother.
The Parrys are a helpfull tool to get you out of a tight jam.
And Aerial Kombat does allow you to perform some funky looking pop-up combos.
But underneath all the added mechanics, it is still the same fighting engine that we've come to know since MKDA.
The good thing is that it feels familiar, the bad thing is that it also has the same lag-issues when it comes to the controls.
It often feels like a character can't keep up with the joypad combinations that are being put in.
Overall, the fighting part of the game is decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kreate A Fighter.
I've never been a big fan of these kinds of modes, but I must admit that recreating characters from other games is a fun way to spend some time.
The clothing options are varied and allow you to make a diverse set of characters. (Daisy Dukes anyone ?)
At the moment I've recreated Ramba, a character from an Italian erotic comic of the same name. If I can find the time I'll post a pic.

Motor Kombat.
Sadly I can't really make a comment on this one, seeing as I haven't played it yet.
A buddy of mine who came over tried it and as I watched, it looked passable at best to me.
Maybe I can find the time and interest to scope it out somewhat later, but don't bet on it.

Konquest-
Another mode wich has it's followers and it's haters.
Like the fighting engine itself, it's a hit and miss affair for me.
While I do like the overall story and the way how existing characters are handled, the slippery controls and camera movement just keep getting in my way.
My biggest gripe about Konquest is that blasted thing that they call the "Special Task Meter."
Why am I forced to fill-up that thing time and again before I'm allowed to advance to the next section of the game ?
To me it's nothing more than a cheap way of lengthening the mode's lifespan.
Some people have compared Armageddon's Konquest to Shaolin Monks, I have to disagree with them.
Shaolin Monks had (at least) a solid fighting engine and tighter controls, wich made the game remind me of the good old days of Final Fight and Streets of Rage.
The sloppy controls of Konquest makes the whole thing feel like you're shooting ducks...
Shooting ducks with blanks that is.
On a plus note, Taven has some great moves in Vs. fights.
And he makes a better lead character than Shujinko, but that's just my opinion.

The Final Verdict-
And there you have it.
I've waited long for MK Armageddon to finally be released in Europe.
Even tough I'm playing the hell out of it at the moment, it does have it's faults in my opinion.
Is MK Armageddon a good game in my opinion ? Overall, yes.
Is it "The Ultimate Kulmination of the Mortal Kombat saga" ? Erhm... no.
MK Armageddon doesn't feel like a step forward from what MKDA and MKD established gameplay wise.
It's more of a step sideways.... but an enjoyable step sideways nonetheless.

Last edited: