Shang Tsung or Quan Chi: Who's the better Sorceror?

Who is the better sorceror?

• Total voters

Glamador

I saw a similar thread over at Midway boards and since I can't post there and people are generally immature and give very uneducated reasons I thought I'd bring it over here.

Well, I've given this quite a bit of thought. And as much as I hated to admit it...I thought Quan Chi was the better sorceror. But then I thought, NO HE ISN'T! Quan Chi may be more powerful. He's got flying skulls and teleport stomps and crushing blows, but Shang Tsung just has so much more SKILL. He can steal souls, make himself younger, change his appearance AT WILL. He can levitate people, summon flaming skulls from anywhere and do a really SWEET teleport sweep. He just does stuff that requires so much more mastery of the art than Quan Chi. Even if he can't dish out the damage he could school old Quan in a textbook face-off.

I remember the MK team saying somewhere (to paraphrase) that Quan-Chi is the more powerful and better sorcerer of the two.

But I'm a bigger fan of Shang Tsung without a doubt.

See that's the thing I'm getting at. Quan Chi is more powerful (he beat Tsung in the MKD intro after all) but there was no sorcery involved in that! It was Tsung who truly brought Raiden down though with his flame dragon and cool soul fireball. Quan Chi can punish you but can he turn you into a chicken? I bet you Shang Tsung can!

I must say that Shang Tsung is the better of the two. He isn't as much of a punnisher in MKA as Quan Chi, but raw strength isn't everything. He can make your loss his gain with that sould steal move of his. He can also throw you for a loop with his various fireballs.

See that's the thing I'm getting at. Quan Chi is more powerful (he beat Tsung in the MKD intro after all) but there was no sorcery involved in that! It was Tsung who truly brought Raiden down though with his flame dragon and cool soul fireball. Quan Chi can punish you but can he turn you into a chicken? I bet you Shang Tsung can!

Hey, Shang Tsung is my favorite character in the whole MK series. You don't have to sell me to the fact that he's awesome.

I'm just going by what the MK team said. According to them, Quan-Chi is the better sorcerer. I'm pretty sure I either read that in an interview or saw it on one of the newer MK bonus movies. But I remember it because Shang Tsung is my favorite, and I was unhappy that he was 2nd to Quan-Chi.

Shang Tsung is classic, but i like Quan Chi better. But Q-Chi cant really do anything great...throw a skull, ....meh. Tsung can change into anyone and steal souls. I would go with Tsung. But i like Chi better personally.

That's just the kind of objective intellectual comment I wanted to hear from a TRMK member! Midway boards be damned!

Shang Tsung is My all time favorite Character. He is a free roaming sorcerer, a villain that will do anything to get more powers and more souls to take, and HE OWNED LIU KANG by breaking his neck.

Whether Quan Chi is a better leader and fighter is not in question as I have already said I agree with that. Is Quan Chi a better sorceror tho? Does being persuasive mean he has more skill in his craft?

Let's think this through people! Shang Tsung loses the first Mortal Kombat, gets a second and third chance in the Second and Third game, loses them. No where to be seen in MK4. It's not until he teams up with Quan Chi that he finally beats Kang, and he finally destroys Raiden.

Then RIGHT before Onaga comes in who kills Shang Tsung, or atleast makes him spit a massive amount of blood out of his mouth? Quan Chi.

Quan Chi killed an entire clan, a clan of ninjas who share the same blood and thoughts and beliefs as that of Scorpion.

He was able to manipulate the Lin Kuei.

He tattooed his body with the ancient writings of how to revive the Dragon Kings unbeatable army. Which to me is bad ass :|

Shang Tsung has done nothing but lose.

Quan Chi the whole way.

Shang Tsung was able to hold out the Mortal Kombat tournament for hundreds of years before the Great Kung Lao came about. That's a win I think. And Quan Chi was beaten by Liu Kang just as badly as Shang Tsung was. Indeed Quan Chi NEEDED Tsung's talent in soul manipulation to revive the dragon king's army even if he was the one with the amulet needed to control them. And if you remember Quan Chi didn't manipulate the Lin Kuei. He just plain hired them. They're mercenaries, not hard to buy them out. Sure killing Scorp's whole clan was impressive but so was holding the title of Mortal Kombat champion for a few hundred years.

I think Shang Tsung is a way more interesting character. He's like the Starscream of Mortal Kombat.

Shang Tsung was able to hold out the Mortal Kombat tournament for hundreds of years before the Great Kung Lao came about. That's a win I think. And Quan Chi was beaten by Liu Kang just as badly as Shang Tsung was. Indeed Quan Chi NEEDED Tsung's talent in soul manipulation to revive the dragon king's army even if he was the one with the amulet needed to control them. And if you remember Quan Chi didn't manipulate the Lin Kuei. He just plain hired them. They're mercenaries, not hard to buy them out. Sure killing Scorp's whole clan was impressive but so was holding the title of Mortal Kombat champion for a few hundred years.

Tsung was just in control of the tournament, it was Goro who was the title holder of Mortal Kombat champion. And what does the great Kung Lao have to do with anything? It was Goro who beat him. Quan Chi didn't hire the Lin Keui, he was hired by them. They wanted the bones of Scorpion's clan's leader in payment for Sub-Zero retrieving the Amulet.

exactly, he hired the Lin Kuei to get the Amulet. In payment for this, Quan Chi killed the Shirai Ryu.

I chose Quan Chi. I always saw Shang Tsung as a snivelling coward, begging to Kahn all the time. Quan Chi not only betrayed Shinnok and killed the shit out of him in MK4, he also convinced Shang to betray Kahn, and then betrayed Shang himself! This combine with his manipulation on the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu to send them on the same quest, knowing they would meet and one would die, tells me he's a bit of a bad ass. he abuses trust, and leaves a lot of bodies in his wake. And on top of that, he is cool as f*ck on MK: Conquest, the only character that made it worth watching.

I like Shang tsung more (Especially in Mk:da) because when he had the Snake, crane, & Strait sword styles, that made him so unstoppable!!! i hope he kept the snake style 4 Mk:d...