James Wan to Produce new MK movie

BBBLP

Robot Rock
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3356523/james-wan-pumping-quarters-mortal-kombat/

Tracking Board is reporting that James Wan (Insidious, The Conjuring) is doing a bicycle kick to get his way into the producer’s role for New Line’s upcoming reboot of Mortal Kombat! The film is being written by Oren Uziel (22 Jump Street, Mortal Kombat: Rebirth) and Dave Callaham (The Expendables, Doom).

The site reports Mortal Kombat‘s synopsis:

The script centers around a seemingly harmless guy who realizes his potential when he finds himself caught in the middle of a cross-dimensional battle between the warriors of Earth and the monsters of Outworld. Now, in order to stop the world from total destruction, he must win the martial arts tournament known as ‘Mortal Kombat’.

Wan killed it this year with Furious 7, which ended up grossing $1.5 billion, making it the 5th highest grossing film of all time. He’s currently working on The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist, which is set to be released on June 10th, 2016.

[MENTION=6974]Sweetre15[/MENTION] posted this in the movie thread, but I think this deserves a thread on its own.

I hope the main character is at least a MK character. I'm kind of worried about this. MK needs to be dark and R rated. I'll be following this.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3356523/james-wan-pumping-quarters-mortal-kombat/

[MENTION=6974]Sweetre15[/MENTION] posted this in the movie thread, but I think this deserves a thread on its own.

I still say Mortal Kombat should be made in CG or 2-D animated (even though thats seemingly rarely done in feature films these days). But hey, if its directed and written by credible producers then it could either be worth a shot.

Whatever happened to Mortal Kombat Next Generation (that new webseries)?

I am very skeptical about this.

A proper MK movie has to be serious, dark, and with fights far better and far more vicious than anything we have seen so far. No one kick to the head and they are out silliness.

Regarding the females, please please make them believable fighters -- instead of only caring about looks and popularity among teeny boppers. No beanstalks please. Who needs "fighters" who look like they fold like a cheap tent after one Muay Thai knee to the abdomen?

Last edited:
How about Ana Julaton (Filipino MMA fighter) as Jade? See http://anajulaton.com/

Not a bad choice but I'd prefer someone who has a little more eye candy such as Nicole Scherzinger. ;)

But I think Grace Park would also be good as Jade.

MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ as Tanya would be PERFECTION BTW.

Bernice Liu as Mileena

Samantha Jo as Kitana

Last edited:
Why not? How about Song Ga-Yeon (South Korean MMA fighter -- google her...)

In any case, I hope against hope that they pick an Indian or Arabic actress/fighter for Mileena.

Cause i like movies to stay true to the games. Kitana was never done by a japanese or a chinese actress on any game. Neither Mileena. Neither Jade. Neither Sonya. Talisa Soto was a great choice at that time. If they really will make this movie, i hope they will spare no expenses and hire those cheap and completely unknow actor$ and actre$$e$.

Just take a look at X-Men and you will see how great and how true they stayed picking Halle Berry (Storm), Famke Janssen (Jean Grey/Phoenix), Olivia Munn (Psylocke), Rebecca Romijin/Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique)... and the list goes on. All spot on.

Last edited:
Cause i like movies to stay true to the games. Kitana was never done by a japanese or a chinese actress on any game. Neither Mileena. Neither Jade. Neither Sonya. Talisa Soto was a great choice at that time. If they really will make this movie, i hope they will spare no expenses and hire those cheap and completely unknow actor$ and actre$$e$.

Just take a look at X-Men and you will see how great and how true they stayed picking Halle Berry (Storm), Famke Janssen (Jean Grey/Phoenix), Olivia Munn (Psylocke), Rebecca Romijin/Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique)... and the list goes on. All spot on.

No Asians played Sub and Scorp in the games but it's a known fact that canonically they are both Asian.

Let's also keep in mind that Kitana in her inception was supposed to be Shang's daughter and they simply made her name into the more "generically Asian" name Kitana instead of Kitsune.

No Asians played Sub and Scorp in the games but it's a known fact that canonically they are both Asian.

Let's also keep in mind that Kitana in her inception was supposed to be Shang's daughter and they simply made her name into the more "generically Asian" name Kitana instead of Kitsune.

About Kitana: Yes, SUPPOSED. But it is not, what count for me is what it is for real. It's just like that AWFUL Jade from Annihilation, like, WTF?!

And i fully agree about Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but it's kinda strange how they look almost nothing Asian on every MK (except Sub-Zero ending on MK2, but not on the character select screen).

About Kitana: Yes, SUPPOSED. But it is not, what count for me is what it is for real. It's just like that AWFUL Jade from Annihilation, like, WTF?!

And i fully agree about Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but it's kinda strange how they look almost nothing Asian on every MK (except Sub-Zero ending on MK2, but not on the character select screen).

The mileena 3rd from the right in your signature, what game is that from?

I will believe it until I see it. They have been making a new MK movie since 1998 and we went through different stages of a new MK movie. They wanted a 3rd movie based on MK4 since the second film lead up to Shinnok as the next bad guy with Quan Chi showing up at the end. However that didn't happen given how the second movie bombed at the box office and everyone hated it. They almost did a 3rd MK movie with the original cast back then Hurricane Katrina happen and got in the way of filming. So the project was put on hold and no one wanted to do the movie again. Kevin Tancharoen was given the role of director after his self-financed promo trailer (Mortal Kombat: Rebirth) and they made Mortal Kombat: Legacy Season 1 as a set up to the movie. However that never happen.

Now obviously in the rebooted Universe, they've decided to make them look more Asian because they aren't just stuck with fill-ins for Mocap like with the first 3 games.

Not to mention, even in MKX Kitana's features look more foreign than in the original game.

Now with Jade, honestly she can qualify for either black or more dark-skin South/Southeast Asian nationalities like Thai, Indian etc

In the case of Kitana though a character with an Asian name, Asian influenced outfits, Asian weapons, an Asian influenced world/kingdom and written as an Asian character........mix up all that and you get someone Asian.

Same applies for Raiden, whom was played by a Mexican in his inception but is clearly a Japanese Thunder god

Ugh.
As long as they don't try to turn it into a type of horror movie (Reptile's part in the Rebirth trailer), then I guess I'm fine with it.
MK needs to have some cheesiness to it, though, imo.
That's what made the 1st movie so great for me; good writing that was in line with the game, and some level of cheese thrown in.

I do think the first MK movie is bit overrated. Sure it's not bad, but I never love it as most fans did. I do like to watch it time to time, but I do think the movie could have been much better. We could need a more proper MK movie that is more darker and faithful to the storyline. MK 1995 did some of the dumbest things to the story like Liu Kang kill Sub-Zero, Goro being killed by Johnny Cage, making Scorpion and Sub-Zero into mindless henchmen for Shang Tsung. Not to mention it was PG-13, both the CG and acting did suck too.