Timeline Speculation

Sub-Zero

Let's have a real conversation that doesn't involve anyone trying to pass off their own fantasies as fact, okay?

Awesome, now that I've already set the bar way too high for most of you, I would like to exercise some brain muscles with you all.

I see a lot of people stating how "X will be too old in 25 years to be a character."

First, let's think about how we are playing a video game.

Okay now that we have that out of the way, let's think about how the "humans" in the game like Cage, Blade, Kang, and even Sub-Zero aren't exactly "human" as we know humans.

For instance, how many humans do you know that can throw a green energy ball at you by conjuring it out or their fist? I can only think of one or two off the top of my head to be honest.

My point is just that this is a land of fantasy and imagination. That these characters are not held to the same rules of life as we are.

My other point about this timeline is that I see WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE saying that "its 25 years in the future".

No.

It's starting right at the end if MK9 and will go as far as 25 years in to the timeline.

Now a point I want to make about this, there's no saying that Raiden goes from being at the top of a pyramid sending flashbacks from his current mind to his past mind. That his past mind now can see in to the future... All the way to doing the same exact thing and we just see a glimpses in to the next 25 years. Hell the actual story may only go 6 months but in those six months we see glimpses of the future 25 years from then. But then again nothing has been confirmed to the exact way it'll happen yet.

I do think 25 years is a very long time for the story to progress. So it won't shock me if it's only so much time, and then at the end we see a '20 years later...' to begin the final cut scene.

I know the original MK movie mentioned that the tournaments are held 'once every generation' I'm just not sure if that's a cannon fact or not in the video games. But it could make sense that we finish up MK4, Deadly Alliance, and Deception in the first few years of the game. Armageddon was prevented so we don't have to play that one.

So we beat Onaga, ending the original stories of the game. A large jump in the timeline(my comment about '20 years later...' to introduce characters like Cassie Cage as the next generation and there's a new threat to Earthrealm and we actually have a real Mortal Kombat tournament to play through again.

Disclaimer: all this is speculation and I do not truly believe it will happen. This is mostly where my mind has taken the story based on the facts and characters we have been given so far.

NOTHING IN THIS POST ABOUT EVENTS AFTER MK9 ARE FACTS.

I agree with you 100% that 25 years doesn't automatically mean that characters won't be in.

Aside from MK characters aging differently, let's also take into consideration that more than half the roster died in MK9, yet ALL of the "dead" characters were regular playable characters on the main roster.
If people are going with the mentality that dead MK X characters are automatically unplayable, then by that same thought process Sub-Zero, CSZ, Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Jax, Smoke, Jade, Sindel, Nightwolf, Stryker and Kabal shouldn't be playable in MK9 either.

Since MK X is a 25-year span I could easily see characters from after MK9 (year 1, like Sonya and Johnny) being on the main roster, as well as the end of MK X characters (year 25, like Cassie) being on there.
It would easily explain how Johnny and Sonya could be in (both as older and younger alternate versions, the same way that Bi-Han and Kuai-Liang are Sub-Zero alts in MK9), without having to go into the whole mystical winner of MK gets eternal youth bullshit story.

Again, this is me just being hypothetical.

To add something, just because characters died in MK9 doesnt mean theyre completely ruled out of the roster. Theyre all under Quan Chi's control (except for maybe Noob and Liu Kang.) These characters could return, but be used by Quan Chi's sorcery to fight for the Netherrealm, much like how Raiden used Liu Kang's body in the original timeline.

That's true, but I also don't see NRS doing a mass resurrection in MK X for all the MK9 dead characters.
All MK9 dead characters won't be back.

If I remember right, there is a significant time time gap between MK4 and MKDA, around 10 to 15 years, if you go by deception's konquest mode and Frost's storyline, so it doesn't seem quite far fetched this time around as they go 25 years into the future as the story progresses, they basically are telling the story that would have taken place if armageddon was prevented in the original timeline.

That's true, but I also don't see NRS doing a mass resurrection in MK X for all the MK9 dead characters.
All MK9 dead characters won't be back.

I doubt that they will all stay dead, but I don't see a mass resurrection for these characters either. The only ones I see coming back are:

-Smoke : He died once before and came back as the character we know in MK9.
-Sub Zero : Obvious reasons.
-Kitana : I just can't see them keeping her dead.
-Noob : His exit in MK9 was too open ended.
-Kang : Cause NRS loves throwing that p.o.s. in my face.

I'm not saying they'll all be back in MKX, but eventually.

Weren't we spent like 65 years in MK Deception konquest? Shujinko gets older and older but in Armageddon, we see EVERY character as their classic and same ages.

But of course MK series is now way more popular than the Deception times. People who just played MK9 will judge this. But me, and my fellow MK fans who grow with MK, I dont think so :)

Weren't we spent like 65 years in MK Deception konquest? Shujinko gets older and older but in Armageddon, we see EVERY character as their classic and same ages.

But of course MK series is now way more popular than the Deception times. People who just played MK9 will judge this. But me, and my fellow MK fans who grow with MK, I dont think so :)

I believe Shujinko's aging was sped up during his journey through the realms or some shit like that.

Shujinko's quest also began decades before MK1. I believe he also spent a few years behind bars in Seido.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I believe Shujinko's aging was sped up during his journey through the realms or some shit like that.

Regardless, Shujinko was VERY old when his journey was complete, so age is a bullshit excuse for a character not to be in MK X.

If Shujinko can be a mortal old fart and he can fight, then a 50 year old Johnny Cage or 50 year old Sonya Blade isn't a problem.

Regardless, Shujinko was VERY old when his journey was complete, so age is a bullshit excuse for a character not to be in MK X.

If Shujinko can be a mortal old fart and he can fight, then a 50 year old Johnny Cage or 50 year old Sonya Blade isn't a problem.

He is less aged than Wang Jinrei or Heihachi, xD.

Of course.

I was recalling how he aged so much to torgonudho, who didn't understand how everyone else didn't.

To be honest, I'd rather just have Cassie Cage take their (Johnny/Sonya) spot, refining the roster.

Ok right now my biggest concern is not so much the transition this new game is going to have with veteran characters to newer kombatants but how they will "send off" the veteran characters. it makes perfect sense to me since this game will TAKE PLACE AFTER MK9 and have a timeline spanning 25 years. it would be great to End or give us an outcome to certain characters or rivalries that have gone on.
-For instance once again i will use Kano. While he is my favorite character, his rivalry with Sonya has gone on way to long to the point its involved more character, Jax & Johnny Cage to be specific. Because he survived MK9, I would like to see him be involved with Cassie Cage somehow and she gets revenge bc Kano had finally killed Sonya at some point. I just think it would be a fitting end for the Kano/Sonya rivalry. Being killed by the daughter of his enemies or throw a plot twist and she joins the Black Dragon and becomes his lover just to piss mommy and daddy off lol!

What stories would you like to see ended/completed/finished since the new generation of fighters is inevitable?