No More DLC for MK9?

Did you all forget seeing frost and Tanya on the background of Pit 2? and also on Kahn's Coliseum when using Kitana...

* I make this look easy *

Did you all forget seeing frost and Tanya on the background of Pit 2? and also on Kahn's Coliseum when using Kitana...

In MK2 Kano and Sonya were chained in the Coliseum and they were never playable. In UMK3, Rain was added to the Attract Mode sequence of the arcade version and never playable (in the arcade version).

Just because you see people in the backgrounds, more often than not they are there for aesthetic and gossip/rumor churning reasons. Rarely does it mean anything.

Besides, as numerous people, including NRS themselves have said, MK9 is done. Finished. Complete. Game over. No more DLC. They moved onto other projects, fans should move on too.

* I make this look easy *

Well, that doesn't really mean anything. Remember Sonya and Kano in MK2? I mean, I know that wasn't the age of DLCs in games, but I'm thinking this scenario is no different than that, just a tease, lol.

I'd rather have some characters left out, anyways, so it will be more exciting to have them in the next MK game.

Boon exclaiming he would have liked to have put in Ash and Jason but had no idea that the DLC would have been so popular.

he didnt think DLC was gonna be popular? Really?

When it comes to any DLC in games, characters always get alot of attention, and that's all MK9's was. So I can't imagine they actually thought it wasnt going to be successfull

he didnt think DLC was gonna be popular? Really?

When it comes to any DLC in games, characters always get alot of attention, and that's all MK9's was. So I can't imagine they actually thought it wasnt going to be successfull

Maybe he thought it wouldn't do well considering at this moment in time, fighting games have become cool, fun and competitive again. Did ANY of us think MK 9 would be this good, I mean look how MK took a nose dive after UMK3. I do sense that with Capcom and SSF AE 2012, UMvC3, the imminent SF X Tekken as well as all the other fighters coming out next year, by other companies NRS will have to do something if they still want MK 9 up there with the big boys.

Call it wishful thinking, I still believe that there will be more DLC for MK 9 OR UMK 9 will happen next year, despite what most nay sayers say and despite what ambiguous statements NRS, WB or Boon have stated previously. Really don't think we've seen the last of MK 9 by a long shot. I predict that if they're really considering doing Jason and Ash, then they will likely do 2 more MK related characters for next year.

Everyone laughed at that guy that suggested Freddy could be put in this game, and now they are all eating humble pie.

Watch this space.....

Everyone laughed at that guy that suggested Freddy could be put in this game, and now they are all eating humble pie.

lmao, I would put that down as TRMK moment of the year. Funniest thing ever.

I like DLCs but I find adding characters like Ash and Freddy and Jason takes away the 'seriousness' of MK....I know I am looking a bit deeper into it but all of the MK fighters are in it for a good reason. Characters like Freddy, Ash and Jason just seem so out of place when you really look at the whole picture...it's cool to add new things, and I don't mind it much, but, yeah, I find it kinda ruins the MK universe a little when 'outsiders' from other franchises (this includes Kratos) enter a tournament they had nothing to do with before and are just thrown in for 'excitement'.

lmao, I would put that down as TRMK moment of the year. Funniest thing ever.

I like DLCs but I find adding characters like Ash and Freddy and Jason takes away the 'seriousness' of MK....I know I am looking a bit deeper into it but all of the MK fighters are in it for a good reason. Characters like Freddy, Ash and Jason just seem so out of place when you really look at the whole picture...it's cool to add new things, and I don't mind it much, but, yeah, I find it kinda ruins the MK universe a little when 'outsiders' from other franchises (this includes Kratos) enter a tournament they had nothing to do with before and are just thrown in for 'excitement'.

I totally agree with you, that's the reaon why I never purchased Freddy. I just don't want to fight him in the ladders. It's already enough that I have to see Kratos -_-

Ash, Jason would top of the game's dlc imo... cuz MK is my favi fight game cuz of the violence, characters and awesome gameplay but some characters are lame and I just want a fight game with every badass dude/girl you can imagine, but that will never happen so MK will have to do till it does so I welcome any cool character even if it doesn't add up to the story and backgrounds and stuff. (KI1 still rules)
I get sick of Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter goody two shoes crap

Last edited:
I was one of those guys against Freddy being in this game. I still think he looks out of place, but in terms of being a character, he's awesome.

He's one of my mains now and he can do some crazy stuff. If new characters are made and done well, who cares if they are guests.

More characters means more hype. Which means the community will grow. Which means more support.

It's a good thing. Not bad.

Most people become fans of the franchise just because of the violence but some of us (including me) are fans mainly due to the characters, lore and story as opposed to anything else. This is the primary reason why when random guest characters start invading Mk, it feels so out of place. MK is not just about violence and fatalities, it is much more than that now.

I completely agree with Jade.
Outside characters completely ruin the feel of this game for me.
I don't mind that Kratos was included as a character, but I do mind that he was on the MAIN roster.

As a DLC or unlockable, it would have been fine.
At least as an unlockable character in the Krypt, I could create a separate profile for MK, and choose NOT to unlock him in the Krypt.

Most people become fans of the franchise just because of the violence but some of us (including me) are fans mainly due to the characters, lore and story as opposed to anything else. This is the primary reason why when random guest characters start invading Mk, it feels so out of place. MK is not just about violence and fatalities, it is much more than that now.

I agree. People that say "oh of course Freddy should be in. MK is just violence and gore" are just not people that play MK. That's like me saying "get rid of Fei Long and put in Bruce Lee into Street Fighter. I mean, SF is just about martial arts"

I still think Freddy is out of place. I love his moveset, but that could easily have been given to a new and unique character.

A Killer Instinct guest character would be something I think a lot of people would be hyped for however. Eyedoll, Spinal and Riptor are just examples of KI instinct characters that would fit in.

Last edited:

I came with the hype MK9 create, I'm one of the few who stayed and MK9 is one of my most played games now.

I was one of those guys against Freddy being in this game. I still think he looks out of place, but in terms of being a character, he's awesome.

He's one of my mains now and he can do some crazy stuff. If new characters are made and done well, who cares if they are guests.

More characters means more hype. Which means the community will grow. Which means more support.

It's a good thing. Not bad.

I kinda care.

I mean, not to the point where I will whine about it daily, I just simply wont play as the character, but the fact that someone who just enters a universe they were not originally a part of, that kinda irks me and ruins the game a little for me. This is coming from one of the biggest fans of Freddy in general. They ended up doing a good job on his character (imo) but he would have been better in another game, perhaps one devoted to slasher movies as opposed to just randomly showing up in an MK game.

I get that he has the characteristics to be in a game like this, but, being a character we know from something other than MK....it just seems kinda stupid.