Fight Stick OR PS3 Controller?

weareuseless

Hello, This is probably the hundredth thread this board has seen with this common question. As being extremely familiar with a controller for a while now. The switch to a Fight Stick seems questionable to me being a complete stranger to them. I wasn't too optimistic on buying the TE of MK but just got the regular retail copy. Now sometimes I see myself getting overwhelmed or can't pull off certain juggles due to fatigue in my thumbs.

I'll just get down to my point in question. Who here plays MK with other fight sticks besides the PDP one? Also I found Real Arcade Pro V3 SA by Hori and was curious if anyone was familiar with this stick.

And finally, how is the transition from a controller to a fight stick?

If you dont play on a stick it can be kinda hard to adapt. I was an arcade kid back in the day ...and im still just etting the feel for the old mk button layout on my TE now.

Really comes down to can you afford to take the chance on a stick? Well constructed ones are not "cheap". Would cost at least a 100 bucks for something worth while

I've never liked the arcade stick, even when going to arcades myself back in the day. I just dealt with it. The controller just feels better for me.

I feel like I should buy a cheap one from best buy to see if I can pull off some of the stuff I'm doing now in the game. That means I'd buy a cheap stick that isn't too great compared to higher end ones and it may dilute the experience.

This Hori one I found on Amazon looks like the real deal though, also I can use it for SFIV and MvC3 too.

Link - http://www.amazon.com/Real-Arcade-Pro-V3-Playstation-3/dp/B0041SGD44/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304050679&sr=1-11

Yes that is a very nice stick ...which could be used for any fighter. Most use a 6 button layout anyways. If you can find one cheap the SE Mad Catz fight sticks they sold with SF were pretty good and affordable. Also they are very very easy to upgrade to a Tournament lvl.

Not sure if they produce them anymore. But the last time i saw them they were in the 40-60 buck range.

Anyone know a good layout for the Capcom MadCatz sticks for MK? Using standard right now and I'm having a bit of trouble with EX moves.

-

Yes that is a very nice stick ...which could be used for any fighter. Most use a 6 button layout anyways. If you can find one cheap the SE Mad Catz fight sticks they sold with SF were pretty good and affordable. Also they are very very easy to upgrade to a Tournament lvl.

Not sure if they produce them anymore. But the last time i saw them they were in the 40-60 buck range.

This is what I did. MadCatz has a good board and layout on these sticks, just terrible buttons and stick. For an extra $25 I got a new such and buttons that are amazing in total I spent about $95 on a TE level sick.

Last edited:
Anyone know a good layout for the Capcom MadCatz sticks for MK? Using standard right now and I'm having a bit of trouble with EX moves.

Sorry i dont ... I have one, but that block button was also an issue for me.Also half the reason i went for the MK TE ( Which i love). But i have read ppl here that seem to use them with no issue. Maybe someone can give you a decent config.

Sorry i dont ... I have one, but that block button was also an issue for me.Also half the reason i went for the MK TE ( Which i love). But i have read ppl here that seem to use them with no issue. Maybe someone can give you a decent config.

If I had the money I would have gotten the MK TE, but I really wanted the book/game ends. And I am going to mess with it tomorrow...I've been playing on a pad and finally decided I should try my sticks out. But figured I'd ask. Thanks for the response, I how someone had something for me to try.

I too am really considering getting the stick should my budget allow. Not sure which one. I know nothing of the market yet.

I am playing OK on the pad but I have trouble with back forward or forward back specials such as subbies ice slide. Quarter circle movements are ace though. Still I feel I would gain so much more precision and speed with a stick. Also, remembering some of the more intricate combos maybe easier to process with a larger dedicated surface as opposed to my right thumb moving all over the place. Some of Cyrax's combo come to mind.

Wasn't Mad Catz going to make a replacement panel for a MK style fight stick? I remember seeing videos of it but nothing more than that.

MadCatz are easily customizable. Check this link out for 20% off
http://shoryuken.com/f177/mad-catz-...l-tournament-edition-fightsticks-more-270122/

Then check this link out for a MK face plate if you prefer their layout
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5093&idCategory=328
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5094&idCategory=328

20rl1g7.jpg

Any questions about modding or anything relating to TE sticks give me a pm.

It all comes down to preference and what you're used to. Once I switched to stick I found it very hard to go back. Even across different games I still use my Mad Catz TE stick, I just like the layout and feel. However, play with what you feel most comfortable.
Transitioning to stick takes some time, but in the long run I found it was worth the effort. Easiest way for me was to go into training mode do the same thing over 50 times and then switch sides and repeat the process until I could get it down 100% of the time. Here's an article that you might find helpful, even though it was written for SF players, a lot of the information is still useful.

Thanks Shffl for that link regarding the switch from a game pad to fight stick. Will definitely be checking that out for sure.

I got a PS3 SF4 controller to play MK9. I have to say that it's brillant! I mapped it this way:

Square = Back Punch
X = Front Punch
Triangle = Tag
Circle = Grab
R1 = Back Kick
R2 = Front Kick
L2 = Block
L1 = Flip Stance

This controller is great to play MK9 with!!