Review of story (no spoilers please)

pgd42

For those of you who read the spoliers, I'm wandering what your thoughts are about the story. I haven't read the spoilers since I'm waiting until the game comes out but I'm basically just asking whether you think it was well done or bad without ruining anything. Just think of it like a movie review.

Its good, its tweaked for sure.

Spoiler:
A lot of side switching from good to evil and evil to good and a new Deadly Alliance. Good stuff.

PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS, DON'T RUIN THINGS FOR OTHERS!

~TRMK STAFF

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think it's pretty good. They added little elements to the characters backstories to tie them together with other characters emotionally. There's also more explanation to things like powers and abilities, and generally, a more tight, streamlined concept of who each character is and what their personalities are like.

Some of these new bits of information are pretty brilliant, and help re-defign the characters by defining them further.

My one problem is, it seems, that for how much setup there is to the characters/story/situations, the ending for story mode seems more or less abrupt, and sorta anti-climactic, though to be fair nobody knows exactly what happens. However, judging just from the dialogue, and the shear epicness and length of it, it's going to be the best story mode a fighting game has ever had.

Individual character endings are pretty great. Everyone's going to have their favorites/least favorites, but they're all pretty good. My particular favorite being Smoke's, because it reveals a lot about his character, mostly stuff we've never heard before. The bios are equally revealing and well-made, elaborating on old characters in ways that make them seem new and fresh and more emotionally grounded in reality, while simultaneously not changing anything.

Over all, really good, and I can't think of a fighting game with a better overall story presented in-game.

I personally think it's pretty good. They added little elements to the characters backstories to tie them together with other characters emotionally. There's also more explanation to things like powers and abilities, and generally, a more tight, streamlined concept of who each character is and what their personalities are like.

Some of these new bits of information are pretty brilliant, and help re-defign the characters by defining them further.

My one problem is, it seems, that for how much setup there is to the characters/story/situations, the ending for story mode seems more or less abrupt, and sorta anti-climactic, though to be fair nobody knows exactly what happens. However, judging just from the dialogue, and the shear epicness and length of it, it's going to be the best story mode a fighting game has ever had.

Individual character endings are pretty great. Everyone's going to have their favorites/least favorites, but they're all pretty good. My particular favorite being Smoke's, because it reveals a lot about his character, mostly stuff we've never heard before. The bios are equally revealing and well-made, elaborating on old characters in ways that make them seem new and fresh and more emotionally grounded in reality, while simultaneously not changing anything.

Over all, really good, and I can't think of a fighting game with a better overall story presented in-game.

^This. Couldntv said it better

I am very glad to hear that the story mode is excelent. Thanks for not giving up any spoilers and well written

Spoiler:
Theres a new deadly alliance?!?!?
didn't want to know that...oh well, I run into these small spoilers too much.

I would like to ask a question to the curious guys who read the spoilers: I've only read the bios and noticed some of them are a little different, so I'd like to know if it's due to Raiden's influence.
Or they just retconned a thing or two?

so there's this epic story mode AND arcade ladder endings?, how are the endings in that going to be i wonder?... the same outcome as story mode?? ...its like 2 stories??!!

so there's this epic story mode AND arcade ladder endings?, how are the endings in that going to be i wonder?... the same outcome as story mode?? ...its like 2 stories??!!

I believe each character gets their own "What if" ending. I'm not ENTIRELY sure but I don't think the arcade endings are canon.

Spoiler:
Theres a new deadly alliance?!?!? didn't want to know that...oh well, I run into these small spoilers too much.

I'm not sure if that statement is accurate for story mode. I know that in a character's ending this is true, but as we all know, not all character endings are cannon.

I would like to ask a question to the curious guys who read the spoilers: I've only read the bios and noticed some of them are a little different, so I'd like to know if it's due to Raiden's influence.

Without giving too much away, I feel like, even though with time travel it's expected, they successfully rebooted the series. Things do change as a result of Raiden's message, but some things stay they same. They didn't just remake the games with the same exact story.

I believe each character gets their own "What if" ending. I'm not ENTIRELY sure but I don't think the arcade endings are canon.

Again, I don't want to give anything away, but the endings can be expected to be just like they are in previous games-- "what if" as you said Ricochet, but if what I am thinking is right, they have tried to incorporate more of the endings to actually be canon, whereas in the old games, only two or three character's endings were canon.

Let's be careful what we say and not accidentally give any spoilers away, or hint at any.

~Thanks

Let's be careful what we say and not accidentally give any spoilers away, or hint at any.

~Thanks

Too late for me...
I learned from noobzero that
Spoiler:
There is a new Deadly Alliance.
It's partly my fault for reading everyones' posts i'm guessing.

It's not your fault, we have told people so many times to use spoiler tags yet they fail to listen.

Sorry that things were ruined for you, I am going to add spoiler tags to the comments and HOPE people will be more respectful towards people who don't want to read spoilers.

I find that most of the 'changes' aren't changes at all, but merely deeper looks into the characters' pasts for example:
Spoiler:
We learn about Sonya's father, how exactly Kano screwed her and Jax over and why it hurt so bad, the source of Johnny Cage's powers, and Kabal's history with the NYPD
I don't think any of that is a retcon (except the Kabal stuff, arguably) but it's definitely new information.

-------

Too late for me...
I learned from noobzero that
Spoiler:
There is a new Deadly Alliance.
It's partly my fault for reading everyones' posts i'm guessing.

I promise sir, that spoils nothing.

thanks for the contributions so far, really glad to hear that its looking like its really gonna deliver.