Final Redesign Thoughts

USSCrazybat

So, chances are the game has already gone gold, and they are cranking up the servers and stuff, ready to activate in April. Before the demo comes out is there anything you'd like to say (aside from the reptile costume) that you aren't really liking, like the smaller things, the little things only certain people care about, and tiny things that made you light up with joy.

I'll get the ball rolling, and delve under the mask. As most of you know, there were a few concept arts in MKD of Ermac unmasked. He had black spiked hair which was greying and an awesome ninja goatee. Since he had the hair in his alternate, the MK fandom have adopted that as his real face.

However, after examining the recent Liu Kang vs Ermac (which didn't end well for our favourite red ninja) you might notice that Ermac's mask has been damaged. When he pulls off the diving portain of his X-Ray, I paused the video and looked closely. Ermac now appears to be sporting some kind of distorted mouth, with freakin' huge canines. Not. Liking. It. I realise the team are redesigning the characters but I didn't think it was needed.

And now, onto the postive side. Roundhouses. In MK1 they stumbled the opponent, leaving them open for a special. However, in all sequels they knocked the opponent across the length of the visible arena, regulating it to a knockback attack only, except for corner combos. Now that the move stumbles again, I can think up infinate amounts of combos, and Cyrax is looking very appealing.

Well, that's my tidbit. On to you guys.

A. Is there a pic of this unmasked Ermac from MKD?
B. Is there a pic of Ermac's battle damaged face from MK9?

He has... canines? I'm not sure if that makes him hotter than before or less.

A. Is there a pic of this unmasked Ermac from MKD?
B. Is there a pic of Ermac's battle damaged face from MK9?

He has... canines? I'm not sure if that makes him hotter than before or less.

haha hot????? you couldn't even see him. but anyway i hope this canine teeth thing isn't true, maybe the OP just saw a bad pic or something, i'm hoping for a maskless alt, it would be nice to see what they can do with him.

Never mind. Just saw what he was talking about. Ermac definitely is definitely sporting some big-ass canines.

I'm... Not sure how I feel about this.

just kidding. I'm just afraid their redesign will be a bit too drastic. can't seem to find the pic. If u have unchained or deception, the chest is called AR or DE.

I love mostly everything, and have forgotten the majority of my nitpicks.

But if I were to complain, it'd be about the underwhelming design of the character's bodies; I'm not talking about attire, which looks great, but faces, skin, muscles etc. They are not as detailed or as realistic as I'd like. This sticks out the most for me on a character like Liu Kang for example.

However - I assume this is because MK is a fighting game, and performance is the most vital element of all. So if they sacrificed detail for speed, no problem. But if they were actually trying for realistic renders, then i think they should've tried harder.

Anyway, I've been probably one of the most optimistic members on this forum about MK9, and I'll be keeping that mindset. I'm positive I'll be blown away by the game.

PS:
Okay, one more complaint. Kitana's alternate costume that we recently saw chained up in Kahn's Arena - looks terrible. Somebody really ****ed that one up.

And btw, I can't see anything wrong with Ermac's design. It's one of the best IMO.

Just saw his teeths around 1:18 and 1:19, dont know how I feel about, never realized that even watched his x-ray a million times over and over

I've always imagined Ermac's face to be a little different. First, I feel strange when I look at it because his nose looks 95% like mine. Then there's his gem, which I think is the worst part of his design ( nothing against there being a gem, just not this gem ). In my opinion Ermac doesn't need a mouth, nose, ears or eyeborws. I don't know why, maybe because it takes something from his mystique. I also have a problem with the ninjas' eyebrows overall - they're freakin' huge. ( blame it on Boon :D ). AND CHANGE NOOB'S EYECOLOR !!!

Last edited: