Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on iPhone Coming Soon?

ShawnBronald

http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/13/is-ultimate-mortal-kombat-coming-to-iphone/

Interesting article and video. The part that (obviously) jumps out at me is that the writer doesn't know if the version being used is the original arcade version or from the HD Arcade Kollection. I would say it's most likely the original, and I don't think I need to explain why. But, after watching the video (which isn't the best resolution), the graphics of the game did look a bit off. Hhm.... hopefully the folks at NRS or WB fill us in on this one soon.

Happy Mortal Monday! ;-)

Reactions: DCR
I can see that it's the Bell Tower, but I can't get a grip on why there's Blue and Green in the health bar.

I cant really judge it like that, but so far, im not really feeling it... Hopefully we see a proper video.

That's incredibly interesting. Why? Those don't look like the original graphics at all. And I don't mean that they've simply butchered the original graphics like they did with the lo-fi cellphone UMK3, I mean those aren't the original character sprites and that's not the original Belltower background. Call me crazy, but this could very well be a UMK3 HD preview.

Thanks for sharing.

That's incredibly interesting. Why? Those don't look like the original graphics at all. And I don't mean that they've simply butchered the original graphics like they did with the lo-fi cellphone UMK3, I mean those aren't the original character sprites and that's not the original Belltower background. Call me crazy, but this could very well be a UMK3 HD preview.

Thanks for sharing.

So I'm not crazy? Even with the small screen and low resolution, I didn't feel the graphics looked quite right. They almost had a CGI look going for them, but as was said about the HD Kollection, that would ruin the integrity of the original Trilogy. Can't wait to see a better view of the game. Even if it's simply an upscaled port of UMK3, it'll still be cool.

They still look like real actors to me, but yeah, definitely higher quality sprites, and I think I've seen Human Smoke throw a low punch enough times to know when shit just ain't right.

If you haven't already, though, watch it full-screen in 720p on the actual YouTube page. It makes it even more obvious.

They still look like real actors to me, but yeah, definitely higher quality sprites, and I think I've seen Human Smoke throw a low punch enough times to know when shit just ain't right.

If you haven't already, though, watch it full-screen in 720p on the actual YouTube page. It makes it even more obvious.

That's the way I viewed it, but still figured my eyes were playing tricks on me (actually, when I first watched it, it was pretty early, lol). I just watched it again and there's no doubt it's different. Today has been a very interesting Mortal Monday, for sure.

Re: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on iPhone Coming Soon/UMK3 HD Preview?

I'm taking a chance and moving this to the HD Kollection forum. We need to get some more thoughts on this from other members.

The green you're asking about is the run button. It kinda bleeds into the lifebar where the character names are so that the end of the bars look like they're green, too.

I kinda see what you're talking about, RyKnow, but I sincerely hope it doesn't mean that all the hype generated about the refilming for the HD Kollection was actually for an iPhone port. I really wish they'd gotten closer.

It is very strange for this thing to pop up on the iPhone of all places, and calling it UMK3 HD may be jumping the gun a bit, but that definitely doesn't look like any existing ports of UMK3 we've played, and if this game uses completely redone graphics, why wouldn't they be from the HD Kollection that's already in development?

It is very strange for this thing to pop up on the iPhone of all places, and calling it UMK3 HD may be jumping the gun a bit, but that definitely doesn't look like any existing ports of UMK3 we've played, and if this game uses completely redone graphics, why wouldn't they be from the HD Kollection that's already in development?

The person behind the video is pretty adamant that the game will be out in December. This month is about half over, so we may be seeing it very soon.

Also, the website that filmed the actual video has now posted a preview of the game HERE.

I think they, sadly, confirm this is NOT from the HD Kollection. Read: "Visually, as you can see from our video, Ultimate Mortal Kombat is one smooth customer. All the characters have been remodelled in 3D for a more detailed look, but without changing what we know and love, and the frame rate is as smooth as the animation. From the loading screens to the arenas, this is unmistakably a Mortal Kombat game given some visual oomph."

That's too bad. I'll give it a chance, but it's disappointing they strayed from what made the originals so unique. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come for the supposed HD Kollection.

Update: Okay, just noticed something in that article that I (somehow) didn't catch my attention the first time: "Included are 13 fighters, 11 of which will be selectable and two are the bosses. As mentioned earlier, you will be able to beat the hell out of your friends as the ice-cold Sub Zero, the four-armed Goro and other familiar faces. From a personal perspective, we were sad Kabal didn’t make the cut but maybe future updates will rectify this."

WTF? I'm guessing they meant Sheeva, but who knows? Sounds to me like the guy isn't a huge MK fan, but is somewhat familiar with the franchise. Also... Shao Karnage sounds, well.... interesting. ;-)

Last edited:

Kabal is one of the baddest characters in UMK3, so not excluding him is a feaux pas, to the say the least.

One thing that will seriously hinder this is the on-screen controls. Not having physical buttons is shit.

Hmm... fair enough. I don't understand why they'd go through the trouble of remodeling the characters in 3D for a version of the game that's only available on the iPhone, but the ride was fun while it lasted. I guess that's what I get for jumping the gun.

I'll move this back to the UMK3 section, but there's still something incredibly odd about this port.

One thing that will seriously hinder this is the on-screen controls. Not having physical buttons is shit.

Also the fact that it basically covers your entire field of vision.

Hmm... fair enough. I don't understand why they'd go through the trouble of remodeling the characters in 3D for a version of the game that's only available on the iPhone, but the ride was fun while it lasted. I guess that's what I get for jumping the gun.

I'll move this back to the UMK3 section, but there's still something incredibly odd about this port.

Who knows for sure, at this point. Maybe, because the graphics looked so much better, the guy just thought they were 3D models. Until we see a clearer, higher resolution video, it'll be hard to tell. I do find it odd that they'd allow the game to be recreated with 3D models, though. It actually made some sense that it might be from the HD Kollection.

Last edited:
If I wanted to play UMK on my iphone, I could have done it already. Iphone has an SNES emulator, a pretty good one too.
No offense, but this is just y a w n, except for the updated GFX bit, that might be cool.

Wow... after seeing the photos, I'm quite disappointed. They would have been better off just porting over the arcade version of UMK3 with all the characters. Looks like they took MK4 characters and put them in a 2-D plane or something. I cannot fully judge this until I play it, but I'm leaning towards awarding it a "Fail".

This is an EPIC fail, why the **** would they ruin the original game by adding 3D graphics? Are they HIGH? and if they contained the original 2D sprites and backgrounds, which i would imagine to be less memory than the 3D ones, they probably would have the capacity to include every character that was in the game. I will probably download it for my iPod touch, but im disappointed...

This seems like a fail to me. It not fun mashing buttons and not being able to actually see what your doing.

Anyone see that this game now has a Facebook page? Check it out HERE. Two new screen shots featuring Sheeva (who I assume was earlier mistaken as Goro) and Ermac (a surprising choice).