October 13th, 2006
11:47 AM CST -
The build up to the ultimate Mortal Kombat game in the current generation was big. Over 60 characters to choose from, a highly anticipated follow-up to last year's hit Konquest mode and a whole new Kreate-a-Fighter feature were amongst the highest anticipated features in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. But it appears that Armageddon has seemed to crumble under its own weight, according to fan reactions in our Message Forums.

The ambitions of the MK Team to include every character in the Mortal Kombat universe required several trade-offs in the main arcade portion that several fans are upset about. One major point of contention is the Kreate-a-Fatality feature. jeary writes, "If time or space was the problem, why couldnt they have just threw back in the identical deadly alliance and deception fatalities. Then created maybe 15-20 new ones. Even one per character would have been better than the kaf. The whole time im trying to do the kaf, im looking at the sheet rather than trying to enjoy the fatality."

Another trade-off are the character endings. The MK Team in the past decided that the fully animated endings in MK4 were so time consuming to create that they would be going back to static screen narration endings for Deadly Alliance and Deception. With the large character roster, it seems like even creating one static screen per character was too much and the team resorted to a narration over the character performing "kata". SubZero'sBrother writes "The endings.. By far.. The worst this series has ever seen.. I won't spoil anything here, but when your game concludes you'll know what I'm talking about.. Maybe I set my sights too high? I think not actually."

The most puzzling "letdown" seems to be Konquest Mode. Mortal Kombat: Deception featured a free roaming Konquest Mode that was open ended and featured tutorials on each character. On Armageddon's Konquest Mode The 7th Number writes, "I really didnt like the konquest either, too much fighting, and its all a set path so you have nothing to do except run down the street and beat up some goons. Deceptions konquest was way better. It was free roaming, finding stuff on your own, and that meditation part made it freaky." iniquity1 adds, "But call me weird, I enjoyed the training missions as each fighter from Deception. It gave me a chance to feel up the other fighters to know their strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention at least knowing HOW TO FIGHT WITH THEM instead on constantly pulling up the "move list" menu.".

It's not quite clear as to why Konquest Mode went the direction it went in Armageddon, after such a dramatic improvement in Deception over Deadly Alliance. The transition to the Mortal Kombt: Shaolin Monks engine might have something to do with the fact that none of the puzzle mechanics from Deception's Konquest Mode made it over to Armageddon. Many were expecting a whole new chapter in Deception's Konquest, but instead received a radically different linear button masher.

These are only a few of the opinions being expressed on the Message Forums. If you agree with some of these sentiments or have a totally different opinion, get an account and express yourself!

Reader Komments from the TRMK Forums:



October 13th, 2006 12:09 PM CST - Prophet
Moral of the Story: The Public is Never Satisfied.
October 13th, 2006 1:37 PM CST - MaxDam
Moral of the story; MK Team should pay more attention to the fans!
October 13th, 2006 2:04 PM CST - Immortal Reaver
People like to bi*** a lot, plain and simple. They got thier hopes up too high thinking MKA will be the best game ever. Personally, I think it's a great game. It's my 2nd favorite MK game other than trilogy.
October 13th, 2006 2:29 PM CST - Jim_Vengence
Honestly, I have to say the I actually really liked Armageddon. I thought that the konquest mode was leaps and bounds better than Deceptions (Which I found drawn out and stale, It felt more like a chore to beat than it was fun). I like the KAF, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the character exclusive ones. However, the interactivity of KAF rocks imo. I like the changes that they made to the game, in fact, the only real complaint I have are the character endings. I thought that was an unnecessary shortcut that they took, but when all is said and done, I am really, really high on Armageddon.
October 13th, 2006 2:31 PM CST - Umon Daisuke
I think the Konquest crticism is certainly valid, because Deception's was dead on and very enjoyable. I've given my two cents already, but truth be told, the minor improvements in the fighting engine aside, Deception was a more "complete" package and therefore, a better game. Yes, I happen to be one of those people who didn't like the new fighting engine.
October 13th, 2006 3:25 PM CST - diddyman
I knew when i heard about the kaf that something was gonna suck about it, but the konquest mode rocks, no more roaming, no more one punch knockout in free roaming, just kicking ass without taking names!
October 13th, 2006 3:34 PM CST - Sai Enigma
This game smells of "Let's just throw this out to meet our game-a-year demand so we can start our next-gen stuff." As a loyal MK fan since 1992, I can't say I'm happy with Armageddon.
October 13th, 2006 5:04 PM CST - Hydro
Yeah really when I look back on MK trilogy, the only two things I didn't like about it were slow loading times (PSone version) & the bosses were already selectable which made it crappy to do "random Select". Other than that, I would rather play MkT than MK ARM. I just think if MK ARM could of had more time and even if it was developed on next gen, they could of packed more into it even for it being the older MK material. I give it 5/10
October 13th, 2006 9:00 PM CST - ChiefThunder
Originally Posted by : MaxDam
MK Team should pay more attention to the fans!
Originally Posted by : Sai Enigma
As a loyal MK fan since 1992, I can't say I'm happy with Armageddon.
Originally Posted by : Hydro
I would rather play MkT than MK ARM.
I agree with all of those above statements. When I first saw the character select screen, instead of being in awe, I was like 'OK'.
October 14th, 2006 1:54 AM CST - The 7th Number
Originally Posted by : diddyman
I knew when i heard about the kaf that something was gonna suck about it, but the konquest mode rocks, no more roaming, no more one punch knockout in free roaming, just kicking ass without taking names!
wow you didnt like free roaming? That was one of the best things about deceptions konquest. That and the fact that all the hidden items were HARD to find. In Armageddons konquest i had 55 relics by the end of my first time through, i missed only 5! Talk about easy. I didnt like the set path at all, plus the levels were small, at least where you could walk, which made finding the items really easy. Plus it has way too much fighting for my liking. It would have been alot better if they mixed in parts where you had to talk to people, like deceptions. Not sure if konquest will be a part of future MK games, but its something they should think about if they plan on it. Its cool that they made a game with every mortal kombat character ever...well except khameleon, but this game didnt live up to the hype.
October 14th, 2006 1:58 AM CST - DarkLord
That sucks about the endings. I used to love to see what went on after the game even way back in the MK2 days and it just had them little photos with what happened. Aww. It's not out here in Australia till next Friday! I bought the special US one cos I wanted that DVD. It was cool how it had all the bios and stuff.
October 14th, 2006 7:05 AM CST - ChiefThunder
I sincerely hope that you enjoy the game when it finally becomes available to you, DarkLord. I used to love the endings in classic MK, still do. You would work so hard to battle your way up the tower and whatnot to see them. Even MKDA and MKD had picture endings at least, not boring overly repeated Kata sequences with a dull voiceover. But when you think about it, 60 + endings translates into over 120 artwork cards. That's a bunch!
October 14th, 2006 8:19 AM CST - ebm62980
Originally Posted by : ChiefThunder
I sincerely hope that you enjoy the game when it finally becomes available to you, DarkLord. I used to love the endings in classic MK, still do. You would work so hard to battle your way up the tower and whatnot to see them. Even MKDA and MKD had picture endings at least, not boring overly repeated Kata sequences with a dull voiceover. But when you think about it, 60 + endings translates into over 120 artwork cards. That's a bunch!
Thats still alot easier and cheaper than doing 20+ CG ending sequences like pretty much all other fighters do. Picture endings shouldve been the least they couldve done. For the most part Im happy with Armageddon, and Im only really dissapointed with the endings. The Konquest was good but just lost some of that mysterious feeling that Deception's had, even though Deception's Konquest had so many freaking loose ends (I didnt know that while playing it though). Other than that I think the aerial Kombat kicks ass and the KAF is ok. Basically out of this generation of MK games, Deception still feels like it was the most complete one.
October 14th, 2006 8:46 AM CST - ChiefThunder
Originally Posted by : ebm62980
Thats still alot easier and cheaper than doing 20+ CG ending sequences like pretty much all other fighters do. Picture endings shouldve been the least they couldve done.
The FMV end stories and CGI Bios in MK4/Gold were very expensive to produce. Even back then with not much more than a dozen characters, those endings were not only cost prohibitive, but very time consuming to make. If they had made 60 + FMV endings for MKA, not only would we have had to wait at least another 6-8 months for the game, but it would have been way too costly for them to make. As you say, picture endings would have sufficed. But even that would have taken far too long.
October 14th, 2006 11:36 AM CST - diddyman
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
wow you didnt like free roaming? That was one of the best things about deceptions konquest. That and the fact that all the hidden items were HARD to find. In Armageddons konquest i had 55 relics by the end of my first time through, i missed only 5! Talk about easy. I didnt like the set path at all, plus the levels were small, at least where you could walk, which made finding the items really easy. Plus it has way too much fighting for my liking. It would have been alot better if they mixed in parts where you had to talk to people, like deceptions. Not sure if konquest will be a part of future MK games, but its something they should think about if they plan on it. Its cool that they made a game with every mortal kombat character ever...well except khameleon, but this game didnt live up to the hype.
Of course it didn't, they never do! If anything we should of except them to **** this one up, Because from what i've heard they're were working on a next gen mk while making this one. The reason why the kaf was added wasn't for the fans.... It was because the kaf allowed them to reduce the time frame of complete of product, or in other words, they got lazy and decided to give every body the same fatality and just make it so you can do a different version of the same fatality. On that note, That what i liked about konquest was that it was an easy beat'em up and not an rpg, I didn't like the fighting engine for the last konquest and that items were hidden, it completely took all the joy out of playing deception because i knew i would have to play konquest before i could really start playing. And that's something that got fixed with armaggeddon. But I will agree that the cutscenes sucked, hard!
October 15th, 2006 12:45 AM CST - DAVE101
I agree that konquest was poor. You couldn't even jump. I would much rather have something like shaolin monks. Too simple, I was also upset that if you missed something you would have to start over. check this inf: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p-ygp7Timic
October 15th, 2006 5:11 AM CST - Immortal Reaver
That infinite is really easy, and I'm sure everyone figured it out. I don't think the CPU cares if you do that forever on them though.
October 15th, 2006 1:30 PM CST - Fulgore
honestly, i enjoy Armageddon, but i do find flaws in it. Konquest is okay, but i do miss the open endness of Deception's konquest. Being able to walk about the realms and talk to everybody from the MK games was just cool... (Like walking around, and then seeing one of the characters and getting excited that you found an old favorite, ya know?) KAF is decent... i miss the old exclusive ones, but from watching the "History of Fatalities" from the dvd, it's good so they don't make anymore crappy fatalities (Quan Chi's from MK:DA for example). The Kreate a Fighter is pretty cool too, although kinda limited. The main thing i am upset about the game is how some of the characters moves have been left out. Kintaro.. no leap? WTF?!? Cyrax... no net? Some things you just have to have... that would be like Scorpion no having his spear. (Although I do like how they included Noob's old moves from UMK3.. those made him cool). and the Krypt, they FINALLY got it right for once. I really didn't like how they were in the two previous games. I got sick of trying to find something cool and always unlocking koncept art or studio pics of the creators. And yes, the endings suck. You really can't excuse that. I am a huge MK fan (and always been) and i rarely ever am disappointed by the games, but the endings on this one really ticked me off. 120 picture endings wouldn't have been THAT hard or time consuming to make now would it? Hell, with all the koncept art and hi-res art that used for promotion, they should've spent that time on making the hi-res images for the endings...
October 21st, 2006 2:16 PM CST - Brycen10ial
My biggest dissapointment about the game is no chess!!! Me and my boy would hook up once a week to get down on sum MK chess... Many of you guys might not have given chess much of a chance or did not have an equal opponent... The game can get very intense! Matches can be anywhere from a few minutes (very rarely) to upwards of over an hour (less rarely than the latter)! How chess was done was absolute genius! It would have been the $#!+ if they had inckluded it on MKA... Other than that, my first thoughts were on how some of the kombos and special moves got stripped from the fighters... and were is Moloc's ball? They were talking about it alot on the bonus DVD like it was the $#!+, but made no mention of the fact they removed it in MKA.... not a big dea, though.. but he don't look the same... In knoquest wasn't as much like Shaolin Monks... there was no jumping... The KAK is dope, but I thought you'd be able to control the body deminsions more, such as height and weight... KAF aint too bad but I like the OG fatality system better... Maybe both in future versions? Overall, the game is great.. once you get past all your previous expectations and enjoy what it has.. you'll be good
October 21st, 2006 8:17 PM CST - ChiefThunder
Originally Posted by : Brycen10ial
My biggest dissapointment about the game is no chess!!!
No offence, but you are joking, right? You're disappointed with MKA because there's no Chess?! Sorry, but I find that very difficult to understand, dude. Here you have almost all of the kombatants with absolute boat loads of other shit. And here you are saying that your biggest disappointent is no Chess Mini Game. The Chess was only a supplement to the main game in MKD. It's like saying that you hate your new $300,000 Porsche because a $3000 stereo isn't included. Lol. Want to play Chess? Then go buy a seperate Chess game. Or pop in MKD
October 21st, 2006 8:22 PM CST - Glamador
Well, you know, he said his "biggest" dissapointment was no chess. So if chess is so minor it must be a great game right? But I miss chess too. It was my most played mode in MKD.
October 21st, 2006 8:27 PM CST - ChiefThunder
Sorry, man. I wasn't trying to piss him off. Like him, I was just stating my thoughts on the matter. I can understand being disappointed by the ommission of something, but Chess, as fun as it may be, seems a trifle insignificant when compared to the game as a whole. Anyways.
October 21st, 2006 8:35 PM CST - Kona
If he really want to play it sooo badly, he can pop in MKD...
October 21st, 2006 11:39 PM CST - Dorn
The thing that hit me the hardest was the fact that the chracters only have one fighting style and one weapons style rather than two fighting styles like DA and D it means that combo's are limited to about 3 or 4 moves. After playing these characters to death in the previous games and knowing all the combo's it feels odd playing these half built characters. Particuly Kung Lao, once the most accessible character they've given him shaolin fist and shujinko the mantis style whereas i think that should have been the other way round. but what I find the most troubling is that the air combo's outnumber the ground combo's about 2 to 1 it seems comletely unbalanced as the ground combo's are infinetely more useful than the air ones. It just shows how midway in designing these new and exiting elements for the game have sacrificed basic playability for this test version of MK8.
October 22nd, 2006 9:58 AM CST - Glamador
Well personally I love the less complicated 2-style system. I think air kombat more than makes up for the lack of combos. And we still have some style links, their just not as long. As for Kung Lao, I freakin' LOVE him in MKA.
October 22nd, 2006 4:32 PM CST - Brycen10ial
Originally Posted by : ChiefThunder
No offence, but you are joking, right? You're disappointed with MKA because there's no Chess?! Here you have almost all of the kombatants with absolute boat loads of other shit. And here you are saying that your biggest disappointment is no Chess Mini Game.
No offense taken... And no Iím not joking; although I am ecstatic that there's 'almost all of the kombatants with absolute boat loads of other shit'.... I would have loved it if chess would have been included due to that very fact... MKA Chess would've been off the hinges w/all them kombatants, am I wrong? This thread is about biggest disappointments... If this was about what I liked best, I woulda said 'the size of the roster and KAK'. - and I posted something similar to that in another thread...
Originally Posted by : ChiefThunder
Sorry, but I find that very difficult to understand, dude.
Don't trip - I'm assuming you've never taken the time to get down with MK Chess... If you and a skilled opponent utilize all of which MK Chess has to offer (traps, spells, power squares...) you will realize how Chess can be much more exciting than regular vs. mode... In chess you fight to gain a strategic advantage... there is much more at stake than simply winning a match... It is a shame if you've never given chess a proper chance... It is a very deep game. If both opponents are skilled enough, a match can last for over an hour. Imagine if all the moves/ spells cast/ fights that you and your opponent have made led up to the one determining battle... whoever ends up as the victor will gain enough of a strategic advantage that the match will tip in their favor, but nothing is guaranteed until the opponents leader has been subjected to a fatality. So the scales can tip back and forth against all odds. My boy and I linked up about once a week strictly to get down on the MK Chess... It's all good though, cuz on MKA now we go at it with our KAKs...
Originally Posted by : ChiefThunder
The Chess was only a supplement to the main game in MKD. It's like saying that you hate your new $300,000 Porsche because a $3000 stereo isn't included. Lol.
'Lol' at your analogy... I could always have a $3,000 after market stereo installed in that $300,000 Porsche, but no amount of money is gonna get me a MKA version of chess.
Originally Posted by : ChiefThunder
Want to play Chess? Then go buy a separate Chess game. Or pop in MKD
I'm not about to buy a separate chess game; the only one I like is MK Chess. It's has the perfect blend of strategy and raw fighting...
October 22nd, 2006 4:50 PM CST - Brycen10ial
Originally Posted by : Glamador
Well, you know, he said his "biggest" dissapointment was no chess. So if chess is so minor it must be a great game right? But I miss chess too. It was my most played mode in MKD.
THANK YOU! - I was beginning to think me and my folcz were the only people who played chess more than any other mode in MKD. Much appreciated!
Originally Posted by : Kona
If he really want to play it sooo badly, he can pop in MKD...
Since you wanna pull a side-buster move and repeat what the dude wit the Mileena fetish said... I will address it once again: It would've been nice to have a MKA version of chess, cuz then it would have featured all of the kombatants...
October 23rd, 2006 12:41 AM CST - InfiniteRetro
would you have bought and of the mkda/mkd/mka series if all it was was the fighting game?
October 23rd, 2006 8:43 AM CST - Glamador
I would say "yes." But there's a 10 character minimum per post.
October 23rd, 2006 3:29 PM CST - Brycen10ial
Originally Posted by : Glamador
I would say "yes." But there's a 10 character minimum per post.
Ditto that
Leave Your Komment
Hot Forum Topics
Replies










Link to TRMK
Link to TRMK