November 8th, 2004
7:43 PM CST -
This afternoon Midway Games had their 3rd Quarter 2004 Results Conference Call. They touched on many details of their finances due to current titles like Mortal Kombat: Deception and Midway Arcade Classics Volume 2 and future plans for the next generation consoles. Here is a brief rundown of the call, you can also listen to the call until Wednesday November 9th.

Moral Kombat: Deception
  • Has continued to gain top critic reviews, shipped one million units and was #1 game for the first week of release in major retailers EB Games and Gamestop.
  • Approved for International Release by both Sony and Microsoft, that release is later this month for Europe. When it comes to global sales, domestic takes about 60-65% of all sales, while international takes the remaining 30-35%. So there are still a significant number of copies to be made overseas.
  • The $59.99 "Kollectors Editions" sold out at all retailers and "counts for one third of all sales of all mortal kombat deception games to date".
  • Because of the strong sales of MKD in US and approving of the game for International markets, they expect Midway Games will have its first profitable Quarter since 1999.

Midway Arcade Classics Vol. 2
  • Profitable example of their use of existing Intellectual Property.
  • More similar titles to come soon. (Maybe we'll finally get UMK3 and MK4?)

Plans for 2005 and beyond...
  • Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is slated for debut next year. It expands the MK franchise into the action/adventure genre while taking advantage of the established mythology of the MK Universe.
  • Goal to be a major player in next generation of consoles. This is something they feel they failed the transition last time and it's a priority this time to be on the "front line" this time.
  • One new license is Fear and Respect that is being developed along with director John Singleton (Boyz' In The Hood, 2 Fast 2 Furious).
  • Expanding existing Intellectual Property with the release of Area 51, which is being worked on by the Austin, TX development company, Inevitable Entertainment, which was recently purchased by Midway.
  • Publishing the new Unreal and Unreal Tournament games slated for next year.
  • Estimate that around 2nd Quarter next year, front line titles that are normally $49.99 will lower to the $39.99 price point because of the new generation systems expected debut by the end of the year.

Reader Komments from the TRMK Forums:



November 10th, 2004 5:03 AM CST - MajorWeirdo
Am I correct if i say that the MK D Kollektors Edition will not be released in Europe...unfortunately...
November 10th, 2004 8:43 PM CST - K-Twizzy
Thanks for the news.
Leave Your Komment
Hot Forum Topics
Replies










Link to TRMK
Link to TRMK