March 23rd, 2011
9:46 AM CST -
GameSpot has posted the first Kratos Gameplay Trailer from Mortal Kombat (2011). This is similar to the Extended Kombat Kontinues demo teaser trailer that was seen in the European Tournament builds of the game, just in glorious high quality video.



Thanks to buffduffdan on the Forums for the heads up!

Reader Komments from the TRMK Forums:



March 23rd, 2011 9:51 AM CST - Ricochetmatt
Ermac's alt for the win!!!
March 23rd, 2011 9:51 AM CST - Outlander
Looks pretty awesome. Kinda makes me wish I had a Ps3.
March 23rd, 2011 9:52 AM CST - WFMMK
Kratos' gameplay looks just like Sub Zero's slow but powerful but also they don't have reach. Though Kratos has that dash thanks to Hermes' shoes.
March 23rd, 2011 9:52 AM CST - Immortal Reaver
I'd appreciate it if someone uploaded to YT, Gamespot always seems to lag for me for some reason.
March 23rd, 2011 9:53 AM CST - GhostK
Not my type of character, He looks too slow and only has arrows as his long range attack (head of helios seems to only work close) not whining, i'll try him as he might be a great person to play as but judging from what i see he looks kinds lame.
March 23rd, 2011 9:55 AM CST - WFMMK
Originally Posted by : GhostK
Not my type of character, He looks too slow and only has arrows as his long range attack (head of helios seems to only work close) not whining, i'll try him as he might be a great person to play as but judging from what i see he looks kinds lame.
Like I said earlier he looks like he plays like Sub Zero very slow and technical but strong where it counts.
March 23rd, 2011 9:57 AM CST - buffduffdan
Kratos is looking badass, just as he should. One of my fav gaming characters and I'm loving what I've seen of him so far! All of his signatures moves and weapons, QTE throw is a nice touch and his X-ray is cool!! Loving the Pandora's Box arena too!
March 23rd, 2011 10:07 AM CST - jarvis653
I knew it! I knew his stage was going to be the same one as the 2D battle with Zeus. I don't care if people don't like him, that was awesome.
March 23rd, 2011 10:07 AM CST - Yellowsnow
so this is Ermac's Alt costume or what are your guesses?
March 23rd, 2011 10:08 AM CST - NothingRhymesWithCircus
Wow, lol... wasn't expecting this today. Kratos looks absolutely badass. I'd never use him but fighting against someone who is good as him will prove to be pretty fun. Delicious moves though. He definitely fits in well with the Mortal Kombat scene.
March 23rd, 2011 10:09 AM CST - 3nany
i love how they added the timed button presses like in god of war ^^ nice touch. also we get to see kratos' stage in action ^^
March 23rd, 2011 10:12 AM CST - fredkrueg3r
Why is nobody talking about shao kahns's pet in this video lol?
March 23rd, 2011 10:13 AM CST - jarvis653
It must be just the lighting, but does anyone else think Kahn looks like a zombie in that stage? His skin is so green.
March 23rd, 2011 10:15 AM CST - WFMMK
Originally Posted by : Yellowsnow
so this is Ermac's Alt costume or what are your guesses?
That is 100% Ermac's alt he even has the same Yellow dot on his back.
March 23rd, 2011 10:20 AM CST - Visų
ermac took the havik's costume
March 23rd, 2011 10:21 AM CST - navi24
kratos is looking badass, where's medussa's head? he probably uses it in a fatality.that will be sick, im definitely going to pick him from time to time, some of ya need to stop hating.
March 23rd, 2011 10:21 AM CST - WFMMK
Originally Posted by : Visų
ermac took the havik's costume
And Havik took Noob's costume.
March 23rd, 2011 10:27 AM CST - cpac
eh not blown away by Kratos, will he be playable online? for some reason i thought i heard just in versus?
March 23rd, 2011 10:27 AM CST - Visų
Originally Posted by : WFMMK
And Havik took Noob's costume.
Havik is a pr0 and cool character, are you insulting him?
March 23rd, 2011 10:28 AM CST - RockHardMilkGun
Originally Posted by : Immortal Reaver
I'd appreciate it if someone uploaded to YT, Gamespot always seems to lag for me for some reason.
Seconded...
March 23rd, 2011 10:29 AM CST - creed200569
The one thing that pisses me off about this site is whenever we get a conversation going in one topic, the moderator has to lock the damn thing just so he can post his own topic. BS. There have been alot of good conversations gone on in here only to get shot down cuz he posted another one in the news section. Just leave the damn original topic open. As for Kratos, he looks badass and in NO WAY does he look slow, gimme a break
March 23rd, 2011 10:31 AM CST - PaperW8
I thought that was Havik for a second lol
March 23rd, 2011 10:31 AM CST - Visų
Originally Posted by : creed200569
The one thing that pisses me off about this site is whenever we get a conversation going in one topic, the moderator has to lock the damn thing just so he can post his own topic. BS. There have been alot of good conversations gone on in here only to get shot down cuz he posted another one in the news section. Just leave the damn original topic open. As for Kratos, he looks badass and in NO WAY does he look slow, gimme a break
agree... ****10char.
March 23rd, 2011 10:34 AM CST - WFMMK
Originally Posted by : Visų
Havik is a pr0 and cool character, are you insulting him?
Havik was originally Noob but then they made him into another character and yes I'm insulting him....he smells like fish....he smells really bad!
March 23rd, 2011 10:38 AM CST - hyabusha
What was missing from Kratos's stage? Aphrodite and her two hot maidens!
March 23rd, 2011 10:40 AM CST - xamoel
Cool trailer, but i dont like when the cloth traspease the character.
March 23rd, 2011 10:42 AM CST - Eclipso
Im going to have to watch it a few more time but off the bat I am going to say I am not impressed. The stages looks amazing though.
March 23rd, 2011 10:43 AM CST - xamoel
Dont mess with Havik , havik rocks
March 23rd, 2011 11:00 AM CST - Antonio Fierro
i'm really glad 360 doesn't have some krappy character like kratos. he tries way too hard to be badass. lol
March 23rd, 2011 11:06 AM CST - WFMMK
Originally Posted by : Antonio Fierro
i'm really glad 360 doesn't have some krappy character like kratos. he tries way too hard to be badass. lol
Have you played the God of War games?
March 23rd, 2011 11:15 AM CST - Antonio Fierro
Originally Posted by : WFMMK
Have you played the God of War games?
yes .
March 23rd, 2011 11:22 AM CST - Jakarta
Kratos moves more fluidly than Raiden or Johnny Cage.
March 23rd, 2011 11:24 AM CST - The 7th Number
Kratos looks awesome. I love how they tie in the Hermes shows, Hercules gloves with his x-ray, Helios head (though Medusa head would have done the same), and Blade of Olympus. Also the QTE buttons were pretty funny. I didnt like his stage though, its basically the same place you fight Zeus in GOW3. I would have rather had an outside environment from GOW 3. Oh well.
March 23rd, 2011 11:33 AM CST - buffduffdan
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
I didnt like his stage though, its basically the same place you fight Zeus in GOW3. I would have rather had an outside environment from GOW 3. Oh well.
See I quite like it for that reason. It was the place where Kratos had his harshest battle, the fight which had had taken 3 games to get to - plus it just looks awesome!!
March 23rd, 2011 11:40 AM CST - xamoel
Maybe medusa head is one of his fatalityes.
March 23rd, 2011 11:43 AM CST - Shin Li
I thought his gameplay was pretty cool, but what is "QTE?" that everyone keeps mentioning? Is that when it prompts the player to press a certain button? Kratos was also moving in slow motion when he did certain moves in the air, would the opponent be able to block that or what?
March 23rd, 2011 11:49 AM CST - Kelsper
Originally Posted by : Shin Li
I thought his gameplay was pretty cool, but what is "QTE?" that everyone keeps mentioning? Is that when it prompts the player to press a certain button? Kratos was also moving in slow motion when he did certain moves in the air, would the opponent be able to block that or what?
Exactly, it stands for Quick Time Event. I don't know what's up with the slow motion, though. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1jPqUupfsU&feature=player_embedded
March 23rd, 2011 11:50 AM CST - Etryus
Pretty cool, his gameplay looks faithful to GoW games with the addition of timing buttons sequences etc... He looks a bit overpowered to me, what do you think guys?
March 23rd, 2011 11:50 AM CST - Eclipso
Originally Posted by : Shin Li
I thought his gameplay was pretty cool, but what is "QTE?" that everyone keeps mentioning? Is that when it prompts the player to press a certain button? Kratos was also moving in slow motion when he did certain moves in the air, would the opponent be able to block that or what?
Thats exactly what it is QTE = Quick Time Events odds are you cant block it, I am thinking you get QTE when your doing a throw.
March 23rd, 2011 11:52 AM CST - Etryus
Originally Posted by : buffduffdan
See I quite like it for that reason. It was the place where Kratos had his harshest battle, the fight which had had taken 3 games to get to - plus it just looks awesome!!
Yes, but you have to admit that fighting on a titan's arm is something else. That would also be fun.
March 23rd, 2011 12:13 PM CST - mkkevin
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like him now im buyin the ps3 version y is this happening to me? darn u kratos for looking kool in mk now im thinking y he wasnt in mk in the first place
March 23rd, 2011 12:18 PM CST - jbell0129
damn he is awesome.
March 23rd, 2011 12:27 PM CST - soundwave
Originally Posted by : Kelsper
Exactly, it stands for Quick Time Event. I don't know what's up with the slow motion, though. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1jPqUupfsU&feature=player_embedded
Repped for finding YT link, gamespot videos are ALWAYS garbage. Kratos looks awesome, suck it haters!
March 23rd, 2011 12:44 PM CST - Taj Gill
Wow, so the exclusive gets its own unique type of gameplay too, with the QTE. I seriously hope you cant play with this guy online for the PS3 users, he looks significantly overpowered for no reason.
March 23rd, 2011 12:44 PM CST - orbofuncreation
BEYOND BRUTAL! Kratos is a beast, and I'm a 360 owner... Also I think that is Noob's alternate costume.
March 23rd, 2011 1:01 PM CST - Nasty_Freak
Ok! Kratos will also be one of my main characters!!! He and Jade will kick butt together along with my other favorites.
March 23rd, 2011 1:05 PM CST - Gamer_of_the_Year
THAT IS THE MOST EPIC GAMEPLAY TRAILER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! HO-LY SHITBALLS!!!! lol
March 23rd, 2011 1:07 PM CST - Nasty_Freak
I'll team Kratos up with mostly Jade and Kitana because both ladies remind me of Aphrodite. Jade has a similar look to Aphrodite while Kitana has her Kiss of Death (which something Aphrodite can do). Sindel reminds me of Hera and Shao Kahn reminds me of Zeus.
March 23rd, 2011 1:09 PM CST - Eclipso
After watching it a few more times I just am not impressed, maybe I am just being biased but he is doing nothing for me. Stages still look great though!
March 23rd, 2011 1:22 PM CST - bigb0ned
not to sound like a hater but this trailer looks kind of stupid. his moves are too over the top, it looks like he will kick anyones ass with no problem at all. his projectile moves look like they can reach you at any point of the screen and his arrow juggler looks like he can have you going for more than 12 hits. i have been a god of war fan since the first on ps2. i love the fact that they seem to be using his actual voice, and the music for his character are awesome! so was his stage (i think it was his stage cuz it didnt look mk world at all). his xray move looked a little dull, i think with all of the gadgets that kratos really has they could have done a whole lot better. So with that said, im glad i own a 360 and WONT be playing with or against this monster.
March 23rd, 2011 1:44 PM CST - Kelsper
Keep in mind that when the Mileena combo video came out, everyone thought that she would be overpowered. These trailers are meant to make a character look overpowered because the opponent isn't making any attempt to fight back.
March 23rd, 2011 1:54 PM CST - MKIFan
This trailer looked very promising. Kratos looks like he was transported just straight from God of War III into the Mortal Kombat universe. While his moves are based on the weapons and accessories he had in God of War III it still feels somehow right, like a good crossover should be. It is not out of place, Kratos fits somehow in this world, whereas he definitely does not fit in the story, however NRS made the right decision to put him only in the VS mode. I was very, very amused about the inclusion of the Quick Time Events (QTE). It is a fitting addition for the character of Kratos and gives the Mortal Kombat X God of War III “Crossover” a nice very nice touch, indeed. I am wondering what will happen if the QTE is performed wrong. In the God of War series there were always nice “failure animations”, I hope that they included them there as well. Maybe the Opponent will have the opportunity to perform a counter, if a QTE fails. To be honest, in my eyes Kratos will not be a powerful "uber character". Maybe I am a little bit optimistic but I honestly do not think he will be to overpowered, it seems that he will be a very technical character and looking at the fact that he is only accessible in the two player versus mode, even if he might be an overpowered character. I seriously do not think that true players would use him infinitely and with the option of DLC there could be updates which might improve an unfitting balance. About the new pet from Shao Khan, which can be first seen at about 0:28. This thing looks very dangerous and it could be that there is a Stage Fatality involving this monster in this stage. I have never thought of a stage fatality in the arena “The Street” before and yet it happened and it is there. So having such an element in an arena is like a big sign, which says “Stage Fatality involving this element, right there”, In my humble opinion, Kratos’s stage is a very fitting one. It contains and emits the feeling of God of War III and has some decency in it, which fits in the scheme of the Mortal Kombat arenas. Choosing the realm of Hades or the Place where the battle with Chronos was held or maybe other places which were just too epic in the God of War series, would be just over the top in my humble opinion, by choosing such stages as Kratos’s arena would somehow reduce the impact those stages had in the God of War series and therefore would create an “out of the place” feeling. Even if Kratos stage was the place where he battled Zeus, but seeing that Zeus is absent and only the place remains with it's ancient look gives it a feeling of decency and dignity thus making this arena a perfect choice in my eyes. Kratos X-ray move involves the usage of his Cestus, which I find very appropriate for his character and is quite nice. While his Fatality has not been reveled yet and leaves room for guessing and imagination, according to his character from the God of War series, it will something very remarkable fitting his character. In addition, I am looking forward to play with him Although the trailer was very nice and showed us more game-play and arenas a small, the arena “The Courtyard” seems to lack the feeling it had in the older times. It could be the fault of the build, and btw. How old is this build anyway? Seeing those masked guards, which finally show some interaction with the player in the ring, makes, me fell excited to play this game more and more but at the same time it shows me that this arena lacks something, it has not the luster anymore which it had in the very first Mortal Kombat Game. It is a very small detail and while I do not think many people have noticed it and many people will probably not care about it, furthermore this detail doesn't make the game less playable, or even less enjoyable or likable yet makes it worse, nevertheless it seizes a small portion of the feeling of this arena. I am talking about the lack of swords that the masked guards have. Since the very first Mortal Kombat game, their sword was a kind of trademark also included in Mortal Kombat Deception and Shaolin Monks. Here are some pictures which shows what I’m talking about (Sources can be directly seen in the links) A picture of the very first courtyard arena: http://mkw.mortalkombatonline.com/mk1/arenas/thecourtyard/01.png A render image of the masked in Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, they also have their swords in game: http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/e/e4/Mksm_masked_guard_render_tn.jpg Having a sword a second weapon gives the masked guard the feeling that they are somehow more than just mere guards and that they should be threaten with respect and reverence. Just having their spear transforms, the Masked Guards in my humble opinion just in generic guards who do not seem dangerous and dignified. Moreover they appear so, that they can be taken lightly. In the very first Mortal Kombat game they gave the tournament a feeling of importance and seriousness. Although it may be an old build and in the final version the guards will have their swords it may not happen. If this happens than it will not be the end of the world but seeing the guards having their swords as well as their spears would be the icing on the cake on a already great game. Maybe I am a person who is in love with very small details, however I think that these small details makes a very good game.
March 23rd, 2011 2:01 PM CST - orbofuncreation
I agree that Kratos seems to be totally overpowered: Liu Kang looks like he can't stand a chance against the Ghost of Sparta and is going to be destroyed in a matter of seconds... I'm just glad I own a 360 because I won't have to face and get beaten by Kratos online... Seriously, until we play it we can't say if he's unbalanced, maybe he will be harder to control and slower, who knows?
March 23rd, 2011 2:06 PM CST - orbofuncreation
Originally Posted by : MKIFan
Although the trailer was very nice and showed us more game-play and arenas a small, the arena “The Courtyard” seems to lack the feeling it had in the older times. It could be the fault of the build, and btw. How old is this build anyway? Seeing those masked guards, which finally show some interaction with the player in the ring, makes, me fell excited to play this game more and more but at the same time it shows me that this arena lacks something, it has not the luster anymore which it had in the very first Mortal Kombat Game. It is a very small detail and while I do not think many people have noticed it and many people will probably not care about it, furthermore this detail doesn't make the game less playable, or even less enjoyable or likable yet makes it worse, nevertheless it seizes a small portion of the feeling of this arena. I am talking about the lack of swords that the masked guards have. Since the very first Mortal Kombat game, their sword was a kind of trademark also included in Mortal Kombat Deception and Shaolin Monks. Here are some pictures which shows what I’m talking about (Sources can be directly seen in the links) A picture of the very first courtyard arena: http://mkw.mortalkombatonline.com/mk1/arenas/thecourtyard/01.png A render image of the masked in Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, they also have their swords in game: http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/e/e4/Mksm_masked_guard_render_tn.jpg Having a sword a second weapon gives the masked guard the feeling that they are somehow more than just mere guards and that they should be threaten with respect and reverence. Just having their spear transforms, the Masked Guards in my humble opinion just in generic guards who do not seem dangerous and dignified. Moreover they appear so, that they can be taken lightly. In the very first Mortal Kombat game they gave the tournament a feeling of importance and seriousness. Although it may be an old build and in the final version the guards will have their swords it may not happen. If this happens than it will not be the end of the world but seeing the guards having their swords as well as their spears would be the icing on the cake on a already great game. Maybe I am a person who is in love with very small details, however I think that these small details makes a very good game.
Dude, no offence but this is the lamest complaint EVER!!!
March 23rd, 2011 2:24 PM CST - Ermac1314
Originally Posted by : cpac
eh not blown away by Kratos, will he be playable online? for some reason i thought i heard just in versus?
This ^^ I feel the same way about Kratos and I'm pretty sure he can be playable both online and versus.
March 23rd, 2011 2:44 PM CST - Ermac1314
Also, Ermac's alt looks amazing.
March 23rd, 2011 2:52 PM CST - mynameisBlade
lol shao kahn just sittn back there like hes not scared
March 23rd, 2011 3:02 PM CST - SabbathBLOODySabbath
Dude kratos looks badass you can tell NRS really paid attention to details in the GOW games giving kratos all his signature moves. I've never played GOW but i did play the demo and its funny to see the QTE for kratos in this game, cant wait to try him out. And to all the haters.... sigh... why cant we just get along, seriously "SOME" of you guys need to grow up already..
March 23rd, 2011 3:38 PM CST - soundwave
Seriously, the "he is over-powered" comments are downright pathetic. Look at every character-specific trailer we have seen and they have ALL been made to look unstoppable. But nobody brings it up until it's Kratos because they are whiny little butthurt haters looking for a reason to bash. Sad as hell.
March 23rd, 2011 5:50 PM CST - VictorMefer
Originally Posted by : hyabusha
What was missing from Kratos's stage? Aphrodite and her two hot maidens!
Quoted for truth... I loved Ermac's alt, I just hope they have fixed the back cloth or whatever it's called, so it does not keep phasing through his legs. Shao Kahn's pet looks deadly, I could very well see a stage fatality based on it. Kratos arena was the best choice, it would not fit having Hades or Kronos arm as his stage, but this one fits the feel of the other MK arenas, and still gives a GoW feel. And Kratos gameplay, we can't be sure he's overpowered. He looks nice, now I don't think the QTEs are weird anymore. For the ones saying he's only available on versus mode, that's not true, he has a bio and an ending, he'll be available at least on arcade mode too. Now, about online, I don't know.
March 23rd, 2011 6:55 PM CST - SMOKE_
amazing gameplay trailer, he looks unreal!!!!
March 23rd, 2011 6:58 PM CST - MortalKombatME
Thanks for the video!!! Noooo, I want this stage also for my Xbox360, it's one of my favourites
March 23rd, 2011 7:42 PM CST - JaeTea
I like it. However his fatality against Sindel looks REALLY weak. Same with his X-ray.
March 23rd, 2011 8:27 PM CST - VictorMefer
Originally Posted by : JaeTea
I like it. However his fatality against Sindel looks REALLY weak. Same with his X-ray.
We haven't even seen it full yet, that was probably just the beginning. Keep your words for when the full fatality is shown.
March 23rd, 2011 8:29 PM CST - Eks
As usual, the gamespot video fails to load, so here's the youtube version:
Victor: the black cloth on Ermac's alternate outfit is called a "cape". I really like that costume, too.
March 23rd, 2011 9:52 PM CST - kergon
Great video! I really like how Kratos' moves are. So similar to the God of War games, including the slow motion bits. Nice touch that they add the QTE for a move or two. So pumped! Plus we saw 2 new stages today - the Shao Kahn stage with the animal, which could possibly have it's own stage fatality. And the Kratos stage, which DEFINITELY has a stage fatality, which Boon said a while ago that Kratos' stage has one of the best stage fatalities in the game. Now we just have to think about what it is.
March 23rd, 2011 11:31 PM CST - Goddess
omg poor sindel!!! D: imma get u back kratos!! rawr!! no one hurts my mummzy!!
March 24th, 2011 1:59 AM CST - Blackcyborg
I think Ermac's alternate looks fantastic! It has a similar look to his primary, but enough changes to make it stand out in a noticably different way. It's really great, and I couldn't think of a better alternate for him. I love the mystic looking hood and veil, as well as the cape in the back. Definitely cool. I'm excited to see what is in store for others in the game, hopefully they are all as good. Kratos looks great, as does his arena.
March 24th, 2011 2:19 PM CST - Patrick McCarron
We updated the video at the start of this thread with our own locally hosted HD video clip, easy viewing on mobiles as well.
March 24th, 2011 6:34 PM CST - Nethervestige
Anyone notice that Shao Kahn seems different when sitting in his throne in the Throne Room stage? Maybe it's just the lighting, but to me his skin looks... darker. Almost green. I wonder if his appearance will change part-way through story mode for some reason. Maybe when he is defeated at the end of the second tournament he comes back as a zombie? Haha, we'll see... Also, that dog-beast pet of his? Lame.
March 25th, 2011 1:27 PM CST - The Aggie
Not sure what all the "overpowered" talk is all about... pretty much every character trailer we've seen makes that character look overpowered. They are all pulling off what appears to be unblockable 15+ hit combos, but that's not the case. Bring on Kratos for the arcade ladder, tag matches, and online!!! In my opinion he's gone from just nice addition to something really great. I was getting the PS3 version anyhow cause I don't like fighters with the 360 controller... but this is an awesome bonus to what is going to be a great game anyhow!!!
Leave Your Komment
Hot Forum Topics
Replies










Link to TRMK
Link to TRMK