April 14th, 2008
10:56 PM CST -
Less than 72 hours from today, Mortal Kombat fans will finally know where Midway will take the direction of the company's most prized critical and financial jewel. This Thursday in Las Vegas, the destiny of one of the longest and most successful franchises in video game history will be revealed to the public at the first Midway Gamers' Day event of 2008.

'Mortal Kombat 8', the first Mortal Kombat game to grace the Microsoft Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3, will feature an entirely new formula where nothing from the previous seven fighting games is considered sacred. It is already well known that the Mortal Kombat Team is looking to start from scratch and rebuild the franchise upon a completely different foundation. From the art direction to the fighting game-mechanics, the Unreal Engine 3 based fighter promises to be nothing we have ever seen before.

While we prepare to head out to Las Vegas to cover this momentous occasion live to you, we scrounged our sources for any last bit of hints to what Midway will reveal this Thursday. Our sources who revealed to us late last year that the next-gen title will feature another well known intellectual property, have reiterated their stance and have heard even more signs that this is indeed the direction that the series will be taking. Granted, the information is still considered rumor, but industry chatter expects to see the series team up with another established brand in some form or fashion. How much integration can we expect? Insiders are tight-lipped but those who have seen the character models and environments are expecting the public to be amazed, if not blown away.

Will the rumor and speculation end up being true? Or have the spry ninjas within Midway's halls leaked a juicy rumor to throw us off the scent? All will be revealed soon this Thursday as we travel to Las Vegas to witness in person the live reveal and get a chance to sit down and talk with the developers about what was just unleashed upon the public. Keep it here at TRMK throughout the entire day on Thursday for any early developments. But most importantly, set an appointment for 7:00 PM CDT for our live event coverage of the Midway Gamers' Day presentation. Get your imagination ready as we will attempt to take ideas for questions later in the evening during the reveal!

Reader Komments from the TRMK Forums:



April 14th, 2008 11:13 PM CST - Glamador
God I'm both excited and terrified. If they do this right, it could be the best thing since sliced bread. If they do it wrong...I might have to choke a *****.
April 15th, 2008 3:52 AM CST - Tim Static
Originally Posted by : Glamador
God I'm both excited and terrified.
LOL, good wy to put it. I am excited as well, but honestly, I do almost expect them to mess it up somehow. Way too much dissapointment in the last decade. (At least we got Shaolin Monks!) Hopefully the arcade will be evolved. :D
April 15th, 2008 3:19 PM CST - Glamador
ARRGGH!!! I'M GOING INSANE HERE! Will there be a live feed going for the announcement!? I WANT TO BE UP TO THE MINUTE. And yes, Shaolin Monks was awesome. Hopefully we'll see the same level of quality and fan-service in this installment! I still say the costume design for MKSM was the best since MKII.
April 15th, 2008 4:34 PM CST - Skorpiion
SO ANXIOUS!!! As soon as anybody gets any news about it please post immediatly. unless you want somebody to die from a heart attack.
April 15th, 2008 4:37 PM CST - Mads
Midway would like to announce that it is MK Vs Sonic the Fighters: Jump the Shark. Sorry, couldn't resist saying something stupid.
April 15th, 2008 4:59 PM CST - Patrick McCarron
Originally Posted by : Skorpiion
SO ANXIOUS!!! As soon as anybody gets any news about it please post immediatly. unless you want somebody to die from a heart attack.
Originally Posted by : Glamador
ARRGGH!!! I'M GOING INSANE HERE! Will there be a live feed going for the announcement!? I WANT TO BE UP TO THE MINUTE. And yes, Shaolin Monks was awesome. Hopefully we'll see the same level of quality and fan-service in this installment! I still say the costume design for MKSM was the best since MKII.
Barring any problems, we will be doing live coverage, as live as we can get it!
April 15th, 2008 5:10 PM CST - Glamador
Ah that's good to hear. But will there be video? I'll have IGN, TRMK, Joystiq, and Kotaku open all day thursday.
April 15th, 2008 6:09 PM CST - Patrick McCarron
Originally Posted by : Glamador
Ah that's good to hear. But will there be video? I'll have IGN, TRMK, Joystiq, and Kotaku open all day thursday.
No way to do live video, especially with the limits on costs and our crew (just me going). You'll see soon enough, still working out everything and hopefully we'll have nothing in our way from bringing our readers up to the minute updates. Also everything starts at 5pm PDT, which is 7pm CDT. Ed's timer on Noob.com is based upon your current time zone, we'll have a more accurate one that reflects the time zone of the actual event.
April 15th, 2008 10:18 PM CST - Tim Static
so 8pm East Coast?
April 15th, 2008 11:09 PM CST - Mads
Australian time? Nah, I'll just watch the counter, that'll tell me.
April 16th, 2008 2:22 AM CST - Angel
I've been spending the last 5 days suiting myself up for the biggest disappointed in ten years... If Midway can shock me with something I wasn't geared up for, that would be brilliant!
April 16th, 2008 8:01 AM CST - Skorpiion
Originally Posted by : Patrick McCarron
Barring any problems, we will be doing live coverage, as live as we can get it!
ALRIGHT thats what i wanted to hear!!! just for telling me that u saved me from a heart attack. :P is anybody from here attending?
April 16th, 2008 8:03 AM CST - Skorpiion
Originally Posted by : Skorpiion
ALRIGHT thats what i wanted to hear!!! just for telling me that u saved me from a heart attack. :P is anybody from here attending?
i mean besides patrick.
April 16th, 2008 8:17 AM CST - QuanChiKiller
Timer shows 3pm tomorrow for CST! That sound about right?
April 16th, 2008 10:02 AM CST - The_MKFreak
thanks for attending. I can't wait! Will you be filming the announcement with a camera?
April 16th, 2008 10:04 AM CST - Patrick McCarron
That's wrong, it's 5pm PDT which makes it 7pm CST. Noob.com's timer is set to your timezone, so it changes based upon where you are at.
April 16th, 2008 1:26 PM CST - bigdev666
I am kinda hoping that the "versus" thing is simply a rumor. As cool as that'd be, I don't think it will have the same feel/buzz that it would have had in the 2D, fighting genre heyday. I don't even care about the inclusion or elimination of Fatalities, (if they are included then the Fatalities should be limited to two, no Hara-Kiri or Kreate-Your-Fatality crap...err krap). As long as the game goes away from adding characters for the sake of the storyline. It got a point where some characters were simply there to fulfill a storyline and added little to the gameplay or had little in moveset compared to the "bigger" names in the game..
April 16th, 2008 2:04 PM CST - Glamador
...Clearly we're completely opposite in our opinions. I prefer the story of MK to the gameplay, which has always fell behind games like Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter. The rich MK mythos are what keeps me coming back to the series. Now, I won't argue that some of the characters were created just to "fit the story" and that would have been fine if they had been done WELL. Kobra and Kira were obviously placeholders and completely worthless. But characters like Havik and Li Mei actually played a part well and they are a welcome addition to the MK cast as far as I'm concerned. Also, if there are no fatalities, I will perform one on Ed Boon. It's just not MK without fatalities.
April 16th, 2008 3:17 PM CST - Goraka
I'm so excited I could eat my arms off, if I didn't need them to play the damn game. I've played like every MK game I have over the course of today (being every one bar MKTE) and it just won't sate my appetite. The timer is set to end at 3pm GMT, here in the UK, and I'm at work without internet access til six o-bastard-clock. Needless to say, I'll be online as soon as I get in.
April 16th, 2008 3:31 PM CST - The_MKFreak
Originally Posted by : Glamador
...Clearly we're completely opposite in our opinions. I prefer the story of MK to the gameplay, which has always fell behind games like Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter. The rich MK mythos are what keeps me coming back to the series. Now, I won't argue that some of the characters were created just to "fit the story" and that would have been fine if they had been done WELL. Kobra and Kira were obviously placeholders and completely worthless. But characters like Havik and Li Mei actually played a part well and they are a welcome addition to the MK cast as far as I'm concerned. Also, if there are no fatalities, I will perform one on Ed Boon. It's just not MK without fatalities.
I'm in your camp with this one. The awesome deep MK mythology is what separated MK from the other fighting games for me. Unfortunately this has been severely neglected lately (resulting in a game with average gameplay and bad storyline) . The last good MK storywise was MKDA/MKD. Everything after that (MKA) just hurt the story more than it developed. The ideal situation is a MK with above average gameplay and great oldskool/focussed story (maybe even coordinated with a MK comic series prior the game release building up the story and a MK comic series after the game release wrapping up the story).
April 16th, 2008 5:00 PM CST - Shujinko
cant wait!!! )
April 16th, 2008 5:13 PM CST - Mads
Originally Posted by : Shujinko
cant wait!!! )
I'm afraid we do not have a choice my friend. Unfortunate as that may be. Wee, not long now though.
April 16th, 2008 5:47 PM CST - Angel
I'll be asleep through the whole event I think... XD Timezones are funny things.
April 16th, 2008 8:51 PM CST - bigdev666
Originally Posted by : The_MKFreak
I'm in your camp with this one. The awesome deep MK mythology is what separated MK from the other fighting games for me. Unfortunately this has been severely neglected lately (resulting in a game with average gameplay and bad storyline) . The last good MK storywise was MKDA/MKD. Everything after that (MKA) just hurt the story more than it developed. The ideal situation is a MK with above average gameplay and great oldskool/focussed story (maybe even coordinated with a MK comic series prior the game release building up the story and a MK comic series after the game release wrapping up the story).
Well I am not suggesting that the story-line should not be a central focus or that they should stop writing interesting stories. I like the depth of the characters, the surprises, and the ability to explain why a character shoots a harpoon at his opponents. I'm more concerned with characters and how they will affect the lineup AND story. I'd rather have 15 or less great fighters with an awesome story than to have a great story with character select screen that barely fits a HDTV.
April 17th, 2008 12:44 AM CST - Goraka
Originally Posted by : Angel
I'll be asleep through the whole event I think... XD Timezones are funny things.
at 3 o'clock in the afternoon?
April 17th, 2008 3:28 AM CST - Mads
Countdown Complete -WHAT?
April 17th, 2008 3:57 AM CST - Angel
I know this is the same month as April Fool's, but seriously, where is the fake "This is what MK will be like" thread already. We've had a year or two without new news. You'd think someone would have had something planned today, XD
April 17th, 2008 9:23 AM CST - Gordonut
Don't bother rushing home to see what happened on the noob.com website, like Mads said the countdown just finishes.
April 17th, 2008 9:29 AM CST - Kingraven00
Wont be until 12am GMT i think. I'll be up watching it live if i could.
April 17th, 2008 10:48 AM CST - jeary
This is great. Almost time! Ill be returning to this site now that there will be stuff to talk about. Ive missed it and havent been on here since armageddon released
April 17th, 2008 10:55 AM CST - Glamador
Well I've noticed quite an influx of new and returning members since things have been picking up in MK. I hope they release something BIG to discuss today!
April 17th, 2008 12:28 PM CST - Angel
Of course there is an influx of old and new members.... We want the first dibs on unneeded heavy critising on the series again. You think we'd do any different - we've done it for over a decade. :P
April 17th, 2008 12:32 PM CST - Tim Static
this is takig forever.I I work 3rd shift, so I'll probably be sleeping when they annouce whats going on.
April 17th, 2008 12:50 PM CST - Goraka
ARGH! Seriously, I think I'm gonna kill somebody.
April 17th, 2008 1:41 PM CST - Glamador
You will soon...very soon now....oh god yes.
April 17th, 2008 1:52 PM CST - Kona
Almost time...7 minutes according to the timer EST time...
April 17th, 2008 2:05 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Guys - If you haven't noticed, we're running a live twitter stream of the entire trip on the front page. http://www.trmk.org If you want to view it at twitter: http://www.twitter.com/trmk Plus our counter is depicting the accurate time of the presentation. Contrary to the counter on Noob.com.
April 17th, 2008 3:05 PM CST - Captain-DC
I just hope that someone puts the information here in text form also. Myself i'm on an old WebTv and we have no way to see Live feeds or Trailers. So i just hope that the news on MK8 gets posted here in text form so i can read the News on all this today? Thanks! By: Captain-DC 04/17/2008
April 17th, 2008 3:11 PM CST - The 7th Number
Wow so it was just a countdown to the midway gamersday, the site isnt even updated with anything.
April 17th, 2008 3:43 PM CST - The 7th Number
Here is some interesting info....
I really dont like the sound of this.
April 17th, 2008 3:52 PM CST - Tim Static
me neither
April 17th, 2008 3:56 PM CST - The 7th Number
But it doesnt make sense cos even Boon said the next MK would be new and fresh and only a few characters would live on. So how would they make a MK vs DC game and have it be with only a few characters. You would need like 15-20 MK characters. Plus it doesnt make sense to use an unreal engine that gears used for graphics, on a game with comic book characters would it? Unless what boon said early on has changed.
April 17th, 2008 4:01 PM CST - DCR
I think it's quite possible that there will be two new MK games: MK8 and this versus title. I really don't believe they're one in the same.
April 17th, 2008 4:10 PM CST - QuanChiKiller
I believe Deathcore is right. Perhaps this announcement has nothing to do with MK8. Maybe MK vs DC will be a new game 4 retail or on Xbox Live or something.
April 17th, 2008 4:43 PM CST - Angel
Considring the old model... you sure someone isn't having everyone on?
April 17th, 2008 6:10 PM CST - The_MKFreak
Originally Posted by : DeathcoreRyknow
I think it's quite possible that there will be two new MK games: MK8 and this versus title. I really don't believe they're one in the same.
That actually doesn't sound bad. One next-gen game in continuity of the main MK storyline and one oldskool game (maybe even 2d) out of continuity (like in a parallel universe).
April 17th, 2008 6:24 PM CST - The 7th Number
Noob.com has been update with a pic, and a hidden message. The pic is "rain2.jpg" Backwards its "rotomrow lfits baromeg".... i think they are just scrambled words. The last being "tomorrow" "embargo" "lifts" "tomorrow" ???
April 17th, 2008 6:35 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
That's "Embargo Lifts Tomorrow". Looks like Scorpion to me...Dunno who's gloved hand he's blocking. Maybe It's BATMAN'S!!!!
April 17th, 2008 6:38 PM CST - Kona
Scorpion lives on, that's good to hear
April 17th, 2008 6:40 PM CST - The 7th Number
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
Noob.com has been update with a pic, and a hidden message. The pic is "rain2.jpg" Backwards its "rotomrow lfits baromeg".... i think they are just scrambled words. The last being "tomorrow" "embargo" "lifts" "tomorrow" ???
Posting for those who might miss it on the last page. are you sure thats scorpion..the colors look right but the pic says Rain02.....hmmmm. God i hope its not MK vs DC
April 17th, 2008 6:50 PM CST - Kona
It doesn't look like any version of Rain I have seen before.
April 17th, 2008 6:55 PM CST - Angel
The image is somewhat clearer if you zoom out on it... But not by much. Its Scorpion, I can see a head and an arm! Edit: Yay! Thats made my day! You can see his yellow mask and tunic! If you look hard!
April 17th, 2008 6:57 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : Angel
The image is somewhat clearer if you zoom out on it... But not by much
Yea, not that much..still looks like Scorpion to me too.
April 17th, 2008 7:00 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
That's "Embargo Lifts Tomorrow". Looks like Scorpion to me...Dunno who's gloved hand he's blocking. Maybe It's BATMAN'S!!!!
Well you are probably correct with the Embargo thing...seeing as in the live news feed TRMK just went under an embargo or w/e and the presentation starts in 10 seconds.
April 17th, 2008 7:01 PM CST - The 7th Number
THe biggest question seems to be whos arm is he blocking....hopefully its Noob.
April 17th, 2008 7:03 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
THe biggest question seems to be whos arm is he blocking....hopefully its Noob.
It does look like Noob..hm..
April 17th, 2008 7:03 PM CST - Kingraven00
Seeing as they 2 have unfinished business that could be possible.
April 17th, 2008 7:04 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Hopefully Ed doesn't notice the big bulky glasses camera and fanny pack Patrick is wearing so that we can video whatever Ed is going to show on the laptop.
April 17th, 2008 7:05 PM CST - Kingraven00
I'm waiting here very patiently (yea.....right) on a video of epic proportions. Mr Boon, we salute you.
April 17th, 2008 7:06 PM CST - LuckshuZ
Not tryin to bust anyones bubble but, we still got 7 or so more months till release so waiting 1 more day for a video wont hurt :D
April 17th, 2008 7:06 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
Hopefully Ed doesn't notice the big bulky glasses camera and fanny pack Patrick is wearing so that we can video whatever Ed is going to show on the laptop.
Priceless.
April 17th, 2008 7:06 PM CST - Angel
Maybe he is holding a weapon... Or blocking a foot. The image is too poor to see any of that..
April 17th, 2008 7:11 PM CST - The 7th Number
I just hope they can talk about what they see......i want to sleep good tonight knowing its not going to be a MK vs DC game. lol
April 17th, 2008 7:16 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
I just hope they can talk about what they see......i want to sleep good tonight knowing its not going to be a MK vs DC game. lol
I'm with you. Edit: [URL]http://twitpic.com/ey4[/URL] ...fun stuff...
April 17th, 2008 7:18 PM CST - DCR
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
I just hope they can talk about what they see......i want to sleep good tonight knowing its not going to be a MK vs DC game. lol
Even if it is, honestly, I'm sure that's not the only MK game we're gonna get. They know how badly they'd alienate their fanbase with a stunt like that.
April 17th, 2008 7:19 PM CST - QuanChiKiller
Anyone know how long the press conference will last?
April 17th, 2008 7:29 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Originally Posted by : QuanChiKiller
Anyone know how long the press conference will last?
Yeah, the itinerary Midway sent out said that the presentation portion will last an hour with a 4 hour hands-on gameplay session afterwards.
April 17th, 2008 7:34 PM CST - QuanChiKiller
And I bet they save MK for last...
April 17th, 2008 7:45 PM CST - The 7th Number
Damn....that means they cant reveal anything till tomorrow???
April 17th, 2008 7:46 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
Damn....that means they cant reveal anything till tomorrow???
This sucks...
April 17th, 2008 7:46 PM CST - LuckshuZ
Hey Jeff Greeson tell us if its MK vs DC or not!! Describe in detail what Ed has showed at his presentation
April 17th, 2008 7:48 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
I'm trying to find out what we can say or can't say. Perhaps I can tell everyone whether our source was right or wrong...
April 17th, 2008 7:51 PM CST - QuanChiKiller
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
I'm trying to find out what we can say or can't say. Perhaps I can tell everyone whether our source was right or wrong...
Yeah...that would be great!
April 17th, 2008 7:55 PM CST - SWAT Pointman
Wasted my time with this count down and nothing revealed.
April 17th, 2008 7:56 PM CST - The_MKFreak
He's saying the presentation is now over and it rocked. But what rocked? What was the presentation about? Is it a versus game? Or what? Surely he can give a few keywords about the content... What's the use of knowing live the exact happenings of the conference (now Ed is talking...and now Dan is talking) and nothing else (he said something about .... or mentioned .....)?
What is that? If it's not MK related i don't care about it Damn, the suspense is killing me. I'm not reacting logically anymore
April 17th, 2008 8:03 PM CST - The 7th Number
Just tell us if MK is the only brand in the game..... if not we dont have to be told what else it will be...DC, Primal Rage...LOL.
April 17th, 2008 8:12 PM CST - xBoX360mK8
I want some INFO!!! Pleeeaaassseeeeeee!!!
April 17th, 2008 8:12 PM CST - DCR
Or if there's more than one game... that way we can at least tell for sure whether or not we'll be getting a real MK8.
April 17th, 2008 8:23 PM CST - SWAT Pointman
On www.noob.com theres a blurred picture of scorpion that says embargo lifts tommarow.
April 17th, 2008 8:25 PM CST - DCR
Already posted back on page 3 of the thread.
April 17th, 2008 8:30 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
I'm still trying to contact Patrick and get him to post something that will pretty much tell us something without telling us everything. I believe that they're in talking with Boon right now, so there's not much time to update twitter right now. But you haven't heard the last from us out there. As soon as Patrick gets free he'll update ASAP.
April 17th, 2008 8:31 PM CST - QuanChiKiller
Come on Jeff....what'd you find out? I know you talked to Pat. *Edit: Whoops! Spoke too soon.
April 17th, 2008 8:31 PM CST - Kona
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
I'm still trying to contact Patrick and get him to post something that will pretty much tell us something without telling us everything. I believe that they're in talking with Boon right now, so there's not much time to update twitter right now. But you haven't heard the last from us out there. As soon as Patrick gets free he'll update ASAP.
Good to hear.
April 17th, 2008 8:46 PM CST - The_MKFreak
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
I'm still trying to contact Patrick and get him to post something that will pretty much tell us something without telling us everything. I believe that they're in talking with Boon right now, so there's not much time to update twitter right now. But you haven't heard the last from us out there. As soon as Patrick gets free he'll update ASAP.
I too hope he will be able to tell something. The live event is almost over and I still now as much as I knew before
April 17th, 2008 8:53 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Twitter stream has been updated with pretty much all we can do for tonight...Now you guys can start rampantly speculating. By the way, our sources back in September were right on the money. If you have anything specific ask it here and I'll pass it along. Patrick will be meeting with Ed in the next hour. Whatever comes out of this session will have to wait until after the embargo tomorrow at 4pm PDT (6pm CDT).
April 17th, 2008 8:55 PM CST - The_MKFreak
How? Over here? Question: How does this MK fit storywise? Is it canon or out of continuity (parallel universe). Question: Will there be fatalities and as much violence/blood/gore (will DC allow it)? Question: Is the gameplay going to be radically different than the past MK (MKDA/MKD/MKA) or somewhat similar to an earlier MK? (what can we expect different/same) Question: Release date estimation? Question: Wii version planned? Or only PS3/X360 Question: His favorite drink
April 17th, 2008 8:55 PM CST - xBoX360mK8
For Ed Boon from Frank Hobyak, how is creating this game compared to the past MK's, is it much more fun with the amount of detail you can add, etc..??
April 17th, 2008 8:56 PM CST - Kona
Ask Mr. Boon from Kona....what his favorite drink is. Thanks guys.
April 17th, 2008 9:05 PM CST - Hauldhagen
straight from twitter: 1. Ask Boon, if the sidekick-mayham will come to an end. Will we still see Karts, Puzzles, maybe Kombat Soccer? Or finally back 2 basics? 2. another question: let him tell you about the controversy in the office about the "new MK" - was everyone good with the plan, at first? 3. and final question: what does boon think: how many characters can a fighting roster handle? why are 2 many chars a problem? THANKS
April 17th, 2008 9:06 PM CST - Tim Static
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
By the way, our sources back in September were right on the money.
huh???????????
April 17th, 2008 9:08 PM CST - outworld222
1_ What are the traditional Mortal Kombat characters that are going to make a return? 2) Will there be a Konquest or Mini games? 3) Will the PS3 and 360 get their own version of the game?
April 17th, 2008 9:08 PM CST - kingjolly
Any plans on working on a non-mortal kombat related game in the near future? Perhaps the grid 2? Perhaps, a whole new fighting game franchise. P.S I love you.
April 17th, 2008 9:30 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
April 17th, 2008 9:33 PM CST - sonyamkforever
my question for boon If sonya is not in the new mortal kombat please put her on next mortal kombat, thanks!
April 17th, 2008 9:39 PM CST - Mads
Are you sure this doesn't mean MK has jumped the shark Ed?
April 17th, 2008 9:40 PM CST - tommystockley
Hello Mr. Boon, huge fan. A few Questions from myself, Thomas Stockley 1. Are there any plans on wrapping up the storylines for each character from MKA, in MK8 or otherwise. 2. Have you taken Unreal 3 to it's full potential to show off some of your world famous Gruesome fatalities? (IE Any intestines this time around? ^_^) 3. Do you often read the boards on mortalkombatonline.com, trmk.org, mortalkombatinformer.com and look at things like fan art, opinions, and ideas? 4. Can we expect alot of news over the next few weeks? 5. Are there any updates on the next MK movie? I figured if anyone knows you would know haha. 6. Has there been any thaught towards a Shaolin Monks 2? Perhaps taking place from MK3-MK4 and featuring the shaolin monk Kai as well. 7. (ask only if it is in fact MK vs. DC) Will the DC character Lobo be in this game? As he seems to fit best with the MK universe. 8. Are you Hiring? :P (Joke question of course....... unless your hiring XD) Once again, probly not your biggest fan, but probly best next to the stalkers and creepy people, Thomas Stockley P.S. If I asked too many questions (which I'm quite certain I have) just chose the ones with most relevance, whatever there's time for, last questions funny though, it'd be great to know if I made Boon laugh.
April 17th, 2008 9:48 PM CST - skareaper
question for ed, will there be a rerelease of the arcade version of mortal kombat 4 for ps3/xbox 360 ?
April 17th, 2008 9:48 PM CST - Tim Static
Will the gameplay be 2-D? Will you ever make another 2-D MK?
April 17th, 2008 9:54 PM CST - outworld222
OK jeff, can you tell us when you will post the question and answer session? Anytime soon??
April 17th, 2008 10:01 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Originally Posted by : outworld222
OK jeff, can you tell us when you will post the question and answer session? Anytime soon??
The question and answers will most likely be posted after the embargo. We're getting this info now and then we'll likely blow it all out tomorrow. BTW, a little bird tells me that we'll have an update on the front page at Midnight CDT, which is in 2 hours. The first image released will be on the Internet. Not sure if it'll be hosted here or at another website, but we'll direct you to it if we don't get it. *** UPDATE *** Sorry I meant to say Midnight CDT...which is still in 2 hours from the time of this original post.
April 17th, 2008 10:01 PM CST - tommystockley
Originally Posted by : outworld222
OK jeff, can you tell us when you will post the question and answer session? Anytime soon??
I think he said tomorrow after the embargo. EDIT: Already answered for me, lol
April 17th, 2008 10:02 PM CST - Tim Static
Originally Posted by : skareaper
question for ed, will there be a rerelease of the arcade version of mortal kombat 4 for ps3/xbox 360 ?
Good question Online play would be great for MK4. Besides, all the MK4 ports suck, even though MK Gold is hella fun. But broken.
April 17th, 2008 10:05 PM CST - outworld222
It will be very good if there was MK Gold. That would be good if there was a limited edition thing to the game. Oh and thanks Jeff. That answers all.
April 17th, 2008 10:08 PM CST - The 7th Number
So the MK vs DC is true..... SHIT! Guess ill have to wait for MK9...unless its a separate game.
April 17th, 2008 10:20 PM CST - swoocu
Ask him if midway will ever release a sequel to killer Instinct, or can we at least get KI ported over to Playstation Network or X-Box Live for some online play....
April 17th, 2008 10:26 PM CST - highwaytothelost
Please ask him why he has ruined my life.... No don't really ask him that but COME ON! A VS title? And with DC?! GOD!
April 17th, 2008 10:27 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Sorry meant to say Midnight CDT. The update is still planned in about 90 min from now.
April 17th, 2008 10:28 PM CST - Mads
Does that mean you can tell us what it is crossed over with now?
April 17th, 2008 10:31 PM CST - DCR
I'm just gonna refrain from jumping out a window until we get all the details tomorrow.
April 17th, 2008 10:34 PM CST - emerio
Hey Jeff, I'm MINION from MKO. And I know you can't confirm anything. But here's the thing. MK8 for me, means seeing Noob Saibot in. Can you ask Midway if he's in please! OR If you already know, can you give me a Maybe, that way you're not breaking silence. Thanks man, would mean alot.
April 17th, 2008 10:34 PM CST - highwaytothelost
I really really want to support MK but if this is happening then MK is just going to be the "Star Wars" of the gaming industry.
April 17th, 2008 10:39 PM CST - Mads
Originally Posted by : highwaytothelost
I really really want to support MK but if this is happening then MK is just going to be the "Star Wars" of the gaming industry.
Ques? Whaddya mean dude? I don't get it.
April 17th, 2008 10:41 PM CST - highwaytothelost
I don't know what page it is on but Jeff said that their sources back in Sept. were "on the money." And that was the topic of a crossover. They didn't confirm who with, but people believe it is most likely DC if this is infact a crossover.
April 17th, 2008 10:43 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Originally Posted by : emerio
Hey Jeff, I'm MINION from MKO. And I know you can't confirm anything. But here's the thing. MK8 for me, means seeing Noob Saibot in. Can you ask Midway if he's in please! OR If you already know, can you give me a Maybe, that way you're not breaking silence. Thanks man, would mean alot.
We have a specific question for Boon to list the exiting MK characters that will make it into this game. Right now there's nothing we can reveal yet. But considering what looks like Scorpion on Boon's site pretty much confirms he's in. Plus you can't have one ninja without the other...oh wait you can...MK3 had Sub Zero but no Scorpion. Oh well...
April 17th, 2008 10:44 PM CST - The 7th Number
Yeah im still hoping that they are right, but its 2 different games. IMO i dont want a vs game. Because i love MK and its feel and everything it has. Im sure if its a vs game they wont have fatalities, and maybe not even blood. But who knows. I am going to wait and see what happens. I think it would be a very bad move to make a vs game only. I can only hope. Im not saying a vs game would be crap, it could be really great, but just not what i was looking forward too.
April 17th, 2008 10:57 PM CST - emerio
Originally Posted by : Jeff Greeson
We have a specific question for Boon to list the exiting MK characters that will make it into this game. Right now there's nothing we can reveal yet. But considering what looks like Scorpion on Boon's site pretty much confirms he's in. Plus you can't have one ninja without the other...oh wait you can...MK3 had Sub Zero but no Scorpion. Oh well...
Yea, i know it's scorp bro. I said would NOOB be in. But i know you can't answer. So that's cool.
April 17th, 2008 11:06 PM CST - squirrelpion
jeff, i have been playing mk since i was 7 years old, i was there the day that mk1 was rolled into the arcade, i need to know if there will be fatalities. if not i'm out. i'll start playing and dedicating the next 15-16 years of my life to old power ranger fighting games.lol
April 17th, 2008 11:24 PM CST - LeoBrZ81
Jeff, I know you mentioned that you already had a question about returning characters for Boon, but I'm going insane thinking about whether or not he answered you. Did he? More specifically and biased, is Sonya back? Can you at least say if you know or not, drop a hint? Come on, man, I just spent, like, an hour registering in my ps3's annoying internet browser to ask you about my girl lol. As for wether or not it's a Vs. DC game, I'll wait in a pool of dark fear for the answer.
April 17th, 2008 11:29 PM CST - The 7th Number
How much longer before the update? They said midnight PDT, about an hour and a half ago and said a couple hours, but PDT aint for another 2 and a half hours.
April 17th, 2008 11:30 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Originally Posted by : squirrelpion
jeff, i have been playing mk since i was 7 years old, i was there the day that mk1 was rolled into the arcade, i need to know if there will be fatalities. if not i'm out. i'll start playing and dedicating the next 15-16 years of my life to old power ranger fighting games.lol
Originally Posted by : LeoBrZ81
Jeff, I know you mentioned that you already had a question about returning characters for Boon, but I'm going insane thinking about whether or not he answered you. Did he? More specifically and biased, is Sonya back? Can you at least say if you know or not, drop a hint? As for wether or not it's a Vs. DC game, I'll wait in a pool of dark fear for the answer.
Sorry I can't answer either of these questions right now. Perhaps some of these will be answered in the next hour or so, given that this image ever gets approval. I hate being in this position since we like to break any news we get ASAP. But hey, this is Midway's event and we're getting our info from them. So we play by their rules because that's the way things have to be.
April 17th, 2008 11:44 PM CST - Jeff Greeson
Originally Posted by : The 7th Number
How much longer before the update? They said midnight PDT, about an hour and a half ago and said a couple hours, but PDT aint for another 2 and a half hours.
I mean to write midnight CDT. So it should be in a few minutes, granted if Midway allows this image to be published early. If not then we'll all wait until Friday at 6pm CDT.
April 18th, 2008 12:01 AM CST - highwaytothelost
Damn so i could've woke back up for no reason?!?!? lol And for everyone asking Jeff and Pat to spill the beans, don't bother. As he said this was midways day, and if they were too just blurt out what is not supposed to be revealed yet, what would that mean for this site in the future? TRMK would never be trusted and then we wouldn't be getting any news at all.
April 18th, 2008 12:05 AM CST - Jeff Greeson
*tweet* *tweet* Front page updated...
April 18th, 2008 12:05 AM CST - highwaytothelost
****!!!!!!!! I just saw it on MKO!!! I hate life right now
April 18th, 2008 12:30 AM CST - crdchris
I've never posted here before, but I've followed MK since the start and have had this site in my bookmarks since MK4. But seeing that image and thinking about where MK has come from has pretty much solidified my feeling that all hope is lost for a once great franchise. I cannot condemn this "next generation" MK entirely as I have not seen a video or ingame graphics, but I give no points for creativity. The MK Team has become a Capcom. Oh I'm sure it'll make some money when released, everyone and their brothers are going to want to see how well Batman and the gang size up to an MK character. I suppose I was just hoping for a new idea rather than a versus title. This must be why Mr. Boon has to hype the game and encrypt messages on his website, to divert us and allow the team to create the game without the majority of it's fans upset thus causing work to cease. This game may prove to be good, but I will no longer take the franchise seriously. I can honestly say that I almost wish Ed had become a chef, so that he cannot take all of the responsibility for this. The majority of the community had always said they would love to see a versus game, but to create one on the supposed "rebirth" of the franchise? Personally I would have loved to see MK vs KI, but only as a game not in the series storyline. I know there will be plenty of folks upset over this new MK, and it's such a shame we were let down. I apologize in advance if this post has upset any of you, I mean no harm by it. It was just rattling around in my head and I figured the easiest way to get it out of my mind and move on in life would be to share it with people that might understand the same feelings and frustrations. This is all strictly my opinion and flame me if you will.
April 18th, 2008 12:51 AM CST - Tim Static
i dislike mko.com its the srk.com of the MK world when is the game site www.worldscollide.com gonna be up?
April 18th, 2008 1:27 AM CST - Tim Static
Originally Posted by : crdchris
I've never posted here before, but I've followed MK since the start and have had this site in my bookmarks since MK4. But seeing that image and thinking about where MK has come from has pretty much solidified my feeling that all hope is lost for a once great franchise. I cannot condemn this "next generation" MK entirely as I have not seen a video or ingame graphics, but I give no points for creativity. The MK Team has become a Capcom. Oh I'm sure it'll make some money when released, everyone and their brothers are going to want to see how well Batman and the gang size up to an MK character. I suppose I was just hoping for a new idea rather than a versus title. This must be why Mr. Boon has to hype the game and encrypt messages on his website, to divert us and allow the team to create the game without the majority of it's fans upset thus causing work to cease. This game may prove to be good, but I will no longer take the franchise seriously. I can honestly say that I almost wish Ed had become a chef, so that he cannot take all of the responsibility for this. The majority of the community had always said they would love to see a versus game, but to create one on the supposed "rebirth" of the franchise? Personally I would have loved to see MK vs KI, but only as a game not in the series storyline. I know there will be plenty of folks upset over this new MK, and it's such a shame we were let down. I apologize in advance if this post has upset any of you, I mean no harm by it. It was just rattling around in my head and I figured the easiest way to get it out of my mind and move on in life would be to share it with people that might understand the same feelings and frustrations. This is all strictly my opinion and flame me if you will.
MK5-7 are reasons to lose hope. This might be fun. Very fun.
April 18th, 2008 4:17 AM CST - Kona
Oh great...a Versus title..... Also, it would be really awesome if you could get Boon to answer me my question to him. "What is your favorite drink?" That means in general, not alcoholic. lol
April 18th, 2008 11:48 AM CST - ZeroX
Originally Posted by : Tim Static
i dislike mko.com its the srk.com of the MK world when is the game site www.worldscollide.com gonna be up?
Check it out now. It has some weird stuff on it now. Probably more when the embargo gets lifted.
April 18th, 2008 12:21 PM CST - casess1
I just watched the teaser video at GamesRadar. Looks pretty good. I just hope there is fatalities. Link: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/mo...17144622312081
April 18th, 2008 1:06 PM CST - Kona
That teaser wasn't that good lol, there better be fatalities.
April 18th, 2008 1:12 PM CST - natedoggcata
http://uk.gamespot.com/video/943567/...eo-interview-1 Its official. Ed Boon does NOT care about the franchise. Unreal Engine my ass, this looks like MK Armageddon again. I am officially DONE! with Mortal Kombat http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/xb...21132945404017
April 18th, 2008 1:13 PM CST - casess1
I'm just as dissapointed as the rest of you, but the trailer makes the game look "slightly" interesting. FATALITIES 'crossing fingers' FATALITIES!
April 18th, 2008 1:20 PM CST - natedoggcata
some points from the article (from neogaf) The game's story is still being kept under wraps but, generally speaking, a cataclysmic event causes the DCU and MK universe to start merging. This provides the perfect setup for the game's story mode, which will offer two perspectives on the situation. You'll be able to play through two separate storylines, one from each side, which lay out what the heck is going on. The cataclysm in the story is driven by magic, which is a handy device that is tapped for the gameplay. The mystic elements that run through the story help keep the fighting balanced as it helps make a conflict between Superman, whose only vulnerability is magic, and characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion, actually make some sense. The other key element to the game is balancing the game mechanics to ensure the whole experience plays well. As if sweating the roster and story weren't enough, Boon and his ambitious team have opted to revamp the whole fighting system for MK's next gen debut. This has led to a "clean slate" approach that has the team re-examining every aspect of the combat system. While you'll see some hints as to what's going on with the fighting system in the teaser trailer The three major ones that are ready to be discussed are Klose Kombat, Freefall Kombat, and stage interaction. Klose Kombat is a mode you'll initiate which pulls in the camera in close and has its own separate mechanics. Basically, when you initiate the mode you'll be the aggressor and your opponent will be on defense. In this closer view you'll be able to attack your foe's upper body with different types of blows for a set period of time, the exact duration of which is still being ironed out. To keep things fair, your opponent will be able to perform a number of different defensive moves to dodge your attacks, provided they're fast. Freefall Kombat is another change of pace, tied in part to stage interaction. The mode is another player initiated sequence which is kicked off by you flinging your foe off a stage. Unlike previous games you won't just follow them down or watch yourself drop. Instead the camera willl come in and you'll be able to fight on the way down. You'll have a slightly tweaked set of possible attacks in this mode, much like Klose Kombat. From what we've seen, it appears your big motivation in these sequences is to gain the advantage on the way down and land on your opponent, for an added damage bonus. Part of this mode is tied to the stages, which appear to feature a different basic design than the previous games. The fighting areas will be a bit wider, to support throwing your opponent through walls and, in some cases, much taller, to allow enough time for fighting during freefall. A more potentially controversial change to the system is the game's fatalities. According to Boon, there will definitely be fatality-like finishing moves, but they may not be called fatalities. After all, it's doubtful that Superman or Batman would be ripping out anyone's spines or hearts. That said, the team is hellbent on pushing the limits to what they can do with the DC characters, so you can expect to see blood and some level of damage accumulate during a fight.
Leave Your Komment
Hot Forum Topics
Replies










Link to TRMK
Link to TRMK