Update: MK Dreamcast Not MK5

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
Last week at the <A HREF="http://www.gdconf.com" TARGET="_parent">GDC</A>, <B>Sega of America's</B> COO/President, <B>Bernie Stolar</B>, stated that "<B>Mortal Kombat 5</B>" was going to be a launch title for the <B>Sega Dreamcast</B>. If you read our last update, you saw that I was very skeptical of this announcement and decided to follow up on this story to find out what exactly is going on directly from Midway. I received a response from MK series co-creator, <B>Ed Boon</B>, who was very involved with Eurocom during the porting of <B>MK4</B> to <B>Playstation</B> and <B>Nintendo64</B>. Ed said that "<B>The Dreamcast version will be based on MK4, not MK5.</B>" From this response, we can safely say that <B>Mortal Kombat 5</B> is definately going to be a seperate title from the <B>Dreamcast</B> version of <B>Mortal Kombat</B>. Furthermore, to clarify that <B>Midway Home Entertainment</B> was not responsible for this mixup, I received a response from <B>Midway Home Entertainment's</B> PR department that the <B>Dreamcast</B> version of <B>Mortal Kombat</B> is still <B>untitled</B>. It sounds like current plans have not changed. <B>Eurocom</B> is still developing an <B>enhanced version</B> of <B>Mortal Kombat 4</B> for the <B>Dreamcast</B> and the Midway crew is still planning to develop <B>Mortal Kombat 5</B>, which won't be a direct to <B>Dreamcast</B> game. It seems like all of the confusion has been settled; however, the question of why <B>Sega</B> would have made such a huge mistake in front of the entire game industry at the <B>GDC</B> still remains. Was the mistake intentional? Was it a PR stunt put on by Sega officials to hype the <B>Dreamcast</B> against Sony's announcements of the <B>Playstation 2</B> hardware? Sega was contacted for a comment; however, they have not responded as of the time of this posting.