Batman V Superman review

I honestly loved this movie. I saw it a second time two days ago and I enjoyed more than the first time I watched it. It's the best superhero movie to date.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Agreeeed bro!!! :)

Im still waiting to watch it a second time once my bro gets back into town ... so I take it that I will love it the second time more then the first time i watched it?!?!? GOOD! Muhahaha! :D

Last edited:
Spoiler:
That's just it, he is friggin SUPERMAN! He could have covered Zod's eyes in the first movie to stop the lazer vision from killing those people. Then figured out a way to send him back to the Phantom Zone.
Having either Batman or Superman kill anyone is lazy writing. It is such an elemental part of both of their characters that to not adhere to it is to bastardize what they stand for.
To Batman the "better good" is not becoming "the enemy", to quote Dark Knight Returns. In that book he made a very public scene of dismantling a gun because it is the "weapon of the enemy" and not something to be used. His parents were killed with guns for crying out loud. And in any good Joker book he usually makes the point that the second he breaks that rule he is no better than the Joker.

It is not a matter of "growing up" and getting over the no kill rule. It is about having standards for a moralistic superhero like Batman and Superman. Their very inception is around the idea that they set an ideal, and stick by it.
This movie would have been so much more interesting if Snyder had just respected the source material, and had not been just trying to be the next Michael Bay...

He very much respected the source material, better than any director before him. Being Michael Bay? He's not Michael Bay. That's just a cheap insult. Synder is great at what he does.

I've never seen a huge DC movie like this so close to the comics and you're the one guy blind folded saying it isn't because Batman allowed some deaths to occur.

He very much respected the source material, better than any director before him. Being Michael Bay? He's not Michael Bay. That's just a cheap insult. Synder is great at what he does.

I've never seen a huge DC movie like this so close to the comics and you're the one guy blind folded saying it isn't because Batman allowed some deaths to occur.

I very much agree! As close as it gets! And Snyder did a DAMN FINE job with this film!

Snyder is a HACK! have you read ANY batman comics? There is a reason the 2nd week sales dropped by 81%. Let me say that again... second week ticket sales dropped by 81%!!! Snyder has 2 good movies under his belt, and one mediocre one. Dawn of the Dead was fantastic, Watchmen was good (much better if you watch the director's cut), and MoS was middle of the road. BvS isnt even going to make as much as MoS did in theaters.

The most respectful adaptation of Batman is the first 2 Nolan movies, and kinda the 3rd. Have yet to see a great adaptation of Superman. MoS was close, just 2 very key things wrong with it, though i will accept that movie over anything before, and definitely over this quantity over quality piece of cinema.

Again though, let me be fair, i did enjoy the movie to a degree. The obviously rushed script and poor depiction of one of my favorite comic book characters just really take me out of it.

Snyder is a HACK! have you read ANY batman comics? There is a reason the 2nd week sales dropped by 81%. Let me say that again... second week ticket sales dropped by 81%!!! Snyder has 2 good movies under his belt, and one mediocre one. Dawn of the Dead was fantastic, Watchmen was good (much better if you watch the director's cut), and MoS was middle of the road. BvS isnt even going to make as much as MoS did in theaters.

The most respectful adaptation of Batman is the first 2 Nolan movies, and kinda the 3rd. Have yet to see a great adaptation of Superman. MoS was close, just 2 very key things wrong with it, though i will accept that movie over anything before, and definitely over this quantity over quality piece of cinema.

Again though, let me be fair, i did enjoy the movie to a degree. The obviously rushed script and poor depiction of one of my favorite comic book characters just really take me out of it.

I indeed read and collect Batman comics. I'm aware of the box office and poor reviews surrounding BvS. But you know what's funny? None of that affects my opinion on this movie, that I think is great.

I know what work Zach has done. You don't need to list his work. I wouldn't of said his work was great if I didn't think his work was great.

The Nolan movies are no more respectful than BvS. The source material is very accurate in BvS. Which I think sets it apart from the Nolan series. I don't remember Bane being in the League. Joker had colored skin. But it doesn't matter because it's another person's version of Batman.

Like Zach's is. But I think it's far closer geared to the comics than others. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:
The Nolan movies are no more respectful than BvS. The source material is very accurate in BvS. Which I think sets it apart from the Nolan series. I don't remember Bane being in the League. Joker had colored skin. But it doesn't matter because it's another person's version of Batman.

Like Zach's is. But I think it's far closer geared to the comics than others. It's a no brainer.

Agreed, wholeheartedly with this part.
There were a bunch of things that bugged me from the Nolan series, too.
The only reasons that I cared for The Dark Knight was probably because of The Joker and Harvey / Two-Face.
TDK, to me, basically felt like The Joker movie featuring Batman.

From the last 10 - 11 years of Batman movies, between Nolan and Snyder movies (for me), it goes:
TDK>BvS>Batman Begins>TDKR

I didnt say the villains were accurate in the nolan series, just Batman was. I am failing to see the the accuracy to the source material in BvS. The 2 PRIMARY DEFINING characteristics of what makes Batman who he is as a hero are fundamentally removed in this movie. He self identifies as not using/needing guns, and (in his mind at least) if he were to start killing (which to a certain extent the branding is too) he would be no better than the people he is fighting against. (And since im on it, if comic book superman were to have done what Snyder superman did in MoS the next issue he would report to Metropolis PD and tell them to arrest him... but thats a different movie)

This movie is just Fan Fiction. Or an elseworlds story. The most faithful thing they have is the look of the batsuit.

And if you want to talk faults in our villains lets talk about lex luthor and doomsday shall we?
Lex is not manic. He is always cool and collected. He is the best businessman in the world, next to maybe bruce, and even becomes president of the USA for a while. I love Jesse Eisenburg as an actor, he is great, but what the hell is wrong with this Lex Luthor?
Doomsday's origin in this is kinda cool. If you are gunna have Superman murder another krytonian you might as well do something cool with the body. It even has some (very) minor parallels to the comic origin, but the thing that comes out of the sack is like the hulk mated with one of those dumb looking Bay style Ninja turtles, and this is the retarded offspring. He doesnt talk, and he is almost taken out by Wonder Woman... Not the superman killer from the books thats for sure.

So please, tell me what you are finding so faithful to the comics. Because these glaring issues are getting in my way apparently.

I didnt say the villains were accurate in the nolan series, just Batman was. I am failing to see the the accuracy to the source material in BvS. The 2 PRIMARY DEFINING characteristics of what makes Batman who he is as a hero are fundamentally removed in this movie. He self identifies as not using/needing guns, and (in his mind at least) if he were to start killing (which to a certain extent the branding is too) he would be no better than the people he is fighting against. (And since im on it, if comic book superman were to have done what Snyder superman did in MoS the next issue he would report to Metropolis PD and tell them to arrest him... but thats a different movie)

This movie is just Fan Fiction. Or an elseworlds story. The most faithful thing they have is the look of the batsuit.

And if you want to talk faults in our villains lets talk about lex luthor and doomsday shall we?
Lex is not manic. He is always cool and collected. He is the best businessman in the world, next to maybe bruce, and even becomes president of the USA for a while. I love Jesse Eisenburg as an actor, he is great, but what the hell is wrong with this Lex Luthor?
Doomsday's origin in this is kinda cool. If you are gunna have Superman murder another krytonian you might as well do something cool with the body. It even has some (very) minor parallels to the comic origin, but the thing that comes out of the sack is like the hulk mated with one of those dumb looking Bay style Ninja turtles, and this is the retarded offspring. He doesnt talk, and he is almost taken out by Wonder Woman... Not the superman killer from the books thats for sure.

So please, tell me what you are finding so faithful to the comics. Because these glaring issues are getting in my way apparently.

Firstly, I was never saying there were faults in the Nolan villians. They are fine the way they are in that universe. I was only pointing out the differences.

I don't think this Batman goes out to murder. If you watch the movie, the moments people died were either unsavable, or necessary. Like a squad of rpg's blocking his path to save an innocent life.
Now the future vision shows a lot of killing. But if you see, that is a chaotic vision of the future where the Earth looked nearly whiped out. Yeah, it looks grim and serious. This was the one moment in the film where Batman actually used a gun and killed. His rifle shot a tracker, batmobile (Nolan's too mind you) always has weapons for various uses, and the grenade launcher shot the vaporized Kryptonite. Anyway, the point of this vision is that Flash is wanting to avoid these crazy events that happen to make Batman a murderer.. Can't blame seeing as what was happening there.

You've read The Dark Knight Returns, I'm sure, so you would see all the aged and more ruthless Batman in Affleck. I think the point of this change in character is that his career as Batman was nearly over. He'd suffered the loss of Robin and other allies and now the stakes are a lot bigger such as planetary destruction. I think that's the point that this is a changed Batman who use to follow the traditional Batman code. We just happen to jump in at a point that isn't that.
So we'll probably see the traditional Batman if the solo films go back to the past of his career.

The accuracy is the lore and the style. Robin isn't a police officer. He was the Robin is has been killed, presumably by Joker like the comics. When they delve deeper with more movies, I'm sure we'll see even more from the comics. Again, there's nothing wrong with the Nolan universe. Just making the comparison.

Its become very trendy to trash this movie.

Last edited:
Firstly, I was never saying there were faults in the Nolan villians. They are fine the way they are in that universe. I was only pointing out the differences.

I don't think this Batman goes out to murder. If you watch the movie, the moments people died were either unsavable, or necessary. Like a squad of rpg's blocking his path to save an innocent life.
Now the future vision shows a lot of killing. But if you see, that is a chaotic vision of the future where the Earth looked nearly whiped out. Yeah, it looks grim and serious. This was the one moment in the film where Batman actually used a gun and killed. His rifle shot a tracker, batmobile (Nolan's too mind you) always has weapons for various uses, and the grenade launcher shot the vaporized Kryptonite. Anyway, the point of this vision is that Flash is wanting to avoid these crazy events that happen to make Batman a murderer.. Can't blame seeing as what was happening there.

You've read The Dark Knight Returns, I'm sure, so you would see all the aged and more ruthless Batman in Affleck. I think the point of this change in character is that his career as Batman was nearly over. He'd suffered the loss of Robin and other allies and now the stakes are a lot bigger such as planetary destruction. I think that's the point that this is a changed Batman who use to follow the traditional Batman code. We just happen to jump in at a point that isn't that.
So we'll probably see the traditional Batman if the solo films go back to the past of his career.

The accuracy is the lore and the style. Robin isn't a police officer. He was the Robin is has been killed, presumably by Joker like the comics. When they delve deeper with more movies, I'm sure we'll see even more from the comics. Again, there's nothing wrong with the Nolan universe. Just making the comparison.

Its become very trendy to trash this movie.

Like i said, the third nolan movie was easily the worst. you're right joseph gordon levitt was never robin. and i also agree that the tone of batman is great in BvS, a la The Dark Knight Returns and such. (minor point DKR isnt technically canon...) Like i said too though, (canon) batman doesnt kill, even when he is grizzled and worn down, which makes this feel like fan fiction to me.

You are forgetting the totally avoidable death of what people are calling KGBeast (though i doubt it really is him). He could have neutralized him without killing him. That whole scene started out GREAT, until Bats started using their machine guns against them.

The pointless sniper rifle with the tracker was unacceptable for a different reason; he followed the damn truck he was tracking. Either you follow or you track, why do both?

And i actually like your theory on the dream. It cuts out some of what took me out of the movie. If that was a view of how this path is leading him to horrible places as a means to stop that path, i will buy that. That gives more credence to what some other people are saying about Bats needing to be "snapped out of it", which is apparently what the whole "Martha" thing was supposed to be (even though he still kills after that happens). And honestly "Martha"? The "snap out of it" thing is super thin there. That whole bit was laughable. But i digress.

Yes i liked the call outs to the larger universe, with the Riddler question marks, the joker spray paint, and the robin uniform. If the solo Bats movie(s) fall back in line i could see myself appreciating this one more, for the "pushed too far" theory. But seeing Batman with a gun that shoots actual bullets in his hand just strikes me as lazy writing by someone who can't make Batman interesting without shock value. (Come on, the psychosis involved with him keeping the joker alive is so incredibly interesting that his 2 rules never have to be broken based on that alone.)

And yes even the Nolan-mobile had machine guns and caused explosions, but they were never fired at people. A little loophole in the "don't kill" rule for sure, but it still counts... kinda.

(side note: thank you for the discussion, i am really enjoying this)

i probably need to see it again but i shouldnt have to see it twice to fully enjoy and understand
it was too fast paced, rushed, overhyped
not a fan of the direction zack is going in.
just no

Got a wonder about one of these scenes.
Spoiler:
So, when Wonder Woman came in and Batman said "I thought she was with you?"
Did nobody actually notice that she was with batman? I mean, he emailed her those messages the scene before. I don't understand.
Personally, I think the comical dialogue at that point was just commercial hype.

Got a wonder about one of these scenes.
Spoiler:
So, when Wonder Woman came in and Batman said "I thought she was with you?"
Did nobody actually notice that she was with batman? I mean, he emailed her those messages the scene before. I don't understand.
Personally, I think the comical dialogue at that point was just commercial hype.

Spoiler:
I think the point there is that, Batman while he did do all those things with wonderwoman. He didn't know she had strength that to him probably looked comparable to superman. And probably thought it was more likely that these two super beings knew eachother.

And superman remembering Batman was trying to chase her at Lex's little get together. I can kind of see why they thought the other might have known her better.

Like i said, the third nolan movie was easily the worst. you're right joseph gordon levitt was never robin. and i also agree that the tone of batman is great in BvS, a la The Dark Knight Returns and such. (minor point DKR isnt technically canon...) Like i said too though, (canon) batman doesnt kill, even when he is grizzled and worn down, which makes this feel like fan fiction to me.

You are forgetting the totally avoidable death of what people are calling KGBeast (though i doubt it really is him). He could have neutralized him without killing him. That whole scene started out GREAT, until Bats started using their machine guns against them.

The pointless sniper rifle with the tracker was unacceptable for a different reason; he followed the damn truck he was tracking. Either you follow or you track, why do both?

And i actually like your theory on the dream. It cuts out some of what took me out of the movie. If that was a view of how this path is leading him to horrible places as a means to stop that path, i will buy that. That gives more credence to what some other people are saying about Bats needing to be "snapped out of it", which is apparently what the whole "Martha" thing was supposed to be (even though he still kills after that happens). And honestly "Martha"? The "snap out of it" thing is super thin there. That whole bit was laughable. But i digress.

Yes i liked the call outs to the larger universe, with the Riddler question marks, the joker spray paint, and the robin uniform. If the solo Bats movie(s) fall back in line i could see myself appreciating this one more, for the "pushed too far" theory. But seeing Batman with a gun that shoots actual bullets in his hand just strikes me as lazy writing by someone who can't make Batman interesting without shock value. (Come on, the psychosis involved with him keeping the joker alive is so incredibly interesting that his 2 rules never have to be broken based on that alone.)

And yes even the Nolan-mobile had machine guns and caused explosions, but they were never fired at people. A little loophole in the "don't kill" rule for sure, but it still counts... kinda.

(side note: thank you for the discussion, i am really enjoying this)

Honestly, I thought The Dark Knight Rises was as good, if not better, than The Dark Knight. He was Robin in a Christopher Nolan way. Which works.

But there's not much more to say about the kills. If you're going to have people die in Batman situations, I wouldn't want it done any other way than how it was handled in Batman v Superman.

About KGBeast, there's rumors that he isn't dead and that he would return looking like the traditional KGBeast. That's just theories. Its plausible since he seems to have a decent fanbase. I'm not too sure how that avoidable that could of been though. He had a flamethrower to someone's head and a second to react. Another situation I am ok with. If he's dead, he brought it on himself.
I don't think Batman was shooting those henchmen with their own machine guns. I believe what you actually saw (and I've seen it twice now) that he dispersed devices on all the guns that exploded and dismantled the machine guns.

Yeah, the tracker and the chase. Well, its a good thing he had that tracker because he ended up losing the truck anyways. So that wasn't such a stupid thing to do both after all.

I don't see how people miss the point of the "Martha" thing. The coincidense of the name reminds him of his tragic past of losing his mother and father. He finally realizes that they've been played and compels him to save her life.

I think you're forgetting how Batman killed Harvey at the end of The Dark Knight. It wasn't entirely intentional but it saved a life. Interesting.

Again, I don't think this Batman wants to be a killer but I find it interesting, and somewhat realistic that it happens in those intense situations. Now we all know these movies are far from reality but I think it adds a slight edge of realism that people would die in these situations. A real life Batman would never be able to operate without someone dying in the process of what he does. That's going a bit beyond the point because they simply could of done without this fiction. But there's the wreckless/no more chances taken element in this point of the saga. For me, its an easy thing to get past for an otherwise awesome start of a series.

The storm of negative reviews really poison people's perception of this film. I think it boils down to people expecting something they're more familiar with from a Batman/Superman movie. We got something different with depth that makes you think more about the subjects.

Last edited:
I'm not really going to spoiler tag anymore, If you haven't seen it 3 weeks, in you're not as big of a DC fan to be waddling into this thread anyways. And with a thread title like Review. you should probably be cautious of this thread anyways.

Also nobody in this thread seems to have NOT watched the movie.

My Gripes
1.) Pacing in the first hour of the movie felt fast forwarded. Like it was missing character because they were crunched for time.
2.) Lex having a different motive from the real Lex Luthor that doesn't even make sense.
3.) Dream sequences were unecessary. We don't need basically what I felt was a Injustice trailer within the movie itself. And the Bat scaring Bruce in the nightmare served no real purpose. I really hated Bruce floating up the well as a kid by the bats. But luckily that was also a metaphor in his dream. The blowing up of the government building with superman in it, along with the other scenes of Batman trying to be be sure he's on the side of humanity. In my opinion were good enough to let us know why Batman must fight superman. Didn't need the dreams imo.
4.) They went too ham in this movie. They tried to fit Injustice/Death of Superman/Batman vs Superman/Justice League all in one movie. Warner Brothers please. for the love of God, calm your greedy asses down. Shit.
5.) I feel like the pacing, with them going Ham. Is what made the movie feel watered down.
6.) As a Batman fan, the only part I felt uncomfortable was him just mowing people down with a machine gun on his plane. I can bypass the Injustice batman shooting. That looked like an apocalyptic world, where people way outside of Batman's abilities were likely to leave the world in a terrible state if Batman were to let people capture him. It's a desperation move, AND a dream. For some reason I was ok with Batman throwing a batarang to kill the flamethrower guy to save Superman's mom. I'm semi-ok with batman killing in THIS situation. I don't need Batman being like Vash stampede where he just lets innocent people die, so he doesn't break his no-kill code.

But the entire part where he was just mowing people down with his air plane. He is a master of shadows, and he's rich. You're telling me he couldn't like shoot flash bangs from his Jet, get out and inside without. anyone being able to see him? I felt like those deaths weren't necessary, and completely avoidable given batman's skillset.

With all this negative stuff out of the way.

I love Henry as Superman
I love Ben affleck's Batman
I think I can accept Gal Gadot as Wonderwoman if I get to see more.

I loved the action sequences. A+ material.

I'm 100% ok with this universe moving forward. I hope they don't scrap their line-up. Just believe that you learned your lesson and do better next time.

Just calm the hell down Warner Brothers, and take time with each important story. I seriously cannot believe you tried to cram like 3 of the best stories in one movie.

I think the Marvel movies are better overall (funnier and just more enjoyable to watch). I think DC wins in TV though, The Flash and Arrow are awesome (just wish they connected with the film universe)

Freeze!

I think this exciting film was a real achievement for Affleck who has finally become a Hollywood superstar, despite years of hard-work in Tinseltown. He was very believable as Wayne/Batman, and I'm intrigued by the JLA trailers now. In fact, I'm still hoping Affleck will come through with his solo Batman film (opposite Leo DiCaprio as Mr. Freeze). Ain't *8mm* grand? I give Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4/5 stars (which is a really high rating for me!).

====

DICAPRIO: I liked you in this film (and Henry Cavill too).
AFFLECK: I really liked Gal Gadot, but thank you...
DICAPRIO: Americans love the idea of superheroines and damsels!
AFFLECK: This is the first major film about Batman and Superman together...
DICAPRIO: So everyone's talking about us making a Batman-Freeze film now.
AFFLECK: Why not? The concept sounds promising...
DICAPRIO: You're not yet fatigued by comic books?
AFFLECK: No, maybe after JLA and one more Batman film, I'll call it quits, though...
DICAPRIO: I wonder if the American public views comic book villains (e.g., Lex Luthor) as complete psychos.
AFFLECK: Well, costumes and psychosis is something Americans have pondered since Halloween and It maybe...
DICAPRIO: In that case, I see why you made the comics-sardonic film Chasing Amy.
AFFLECK: Hollywood is all about Armageddon, Mr. Freeze...

====

benji.jpg

i probably need to see it again but i shouldnt have to see it twice to fully enjoy and understand
it was too fast paced, rushed, overhyped
not a fan of the direction zack is going in.
just no

You have to watch the BVS Ultimate Edition (Rated R). It was the original cut compared to what was in theaters.... 35 mins longer. Trust me! It does Justice! Everything makes sense! They cut the movie so bad so that it was shorter on theaters..... bad move on their part!