Frame Traps

I'm new to this concept and I would like to get a better understanding of this concept if anyone wants to discuss it here with me.
So right now I'm playing KI, mostly Sadira.
I will give to examples because I think I'm on the right track (are these frame traps?)

1) Stay just out of range of Sabrewulfs special and when he goes for one, back jump and throw and widows bite, air web, (or is this just bait?)
2)Stay just out of range of my standing lp, which is a quick jab, throw it twice or three times so they dont block cause they see this, and then use a blade demon to start a combo.
3) Opponent is crouch blocking, I throw a standing mk, wait for them to stand and when in range, use a Recluse (back spinning kick).

:questionmark:

What you listed are examples of footsies and spacing

Frame Trap is a move or more often, series of moves that have few startup frames and are + on block, or at the very least safe
These moves usually do not combo on their own, but against a blocking opponent allows them to "trap" because they recover before you and can throw out the move again before you can retaliate in most cases.

A frame Trap that doesn't end is referred to as a Block Infinite. Kabal was notorious for his when MK9 first came out.

Riko Law was talking about Jago's frame trap in KI3. Ask him about it

Few examples in MK9, haven't played KI enough yet.

Johnny Cage's F3
Kabal's F4
Ermac's fireball, followed by force push, only works mid-screen.

Ok I understand the Ermac example. So if you throw Ermacs fireball and then use his force push you either capitolize on the frame trap or force them into a block string??

Dojo mode can explain it better than me but I'll give it a shot.

Moves are either plus or negative on block based on frame data.

Some move that are unsafe meaning it's in the negative but can be made safe by canceling into specials making it plus.

When you are at plus it means you have the advantage and will hit before your opponents attack.

Now for the trap

Jago has his F+HK which hits twice but advances you towards the opponent and leaves you at negative but if canceled into m laser sword you are at plus 2 which means you get to jail your opponent until he either gets hit or shadow counter because anything else can get stuffed by a crouching mid into an opener.

So in a nut shell f+hk m laser sword crouching mid and repeat is the full trap. Get hit, counter but never try to poke out. Some traps can be back dashed in between cycles depending the range of the attack causing the trap but remember that you are taking a risk and it's not 100%

I made a quick Sadira video for you.

Notice

When I hit the string registered as a manual.
The active hitbox on the moves allows you to see the speed of the actual move as well as the range.
I was always at plus frames meaning the only way out was a Shadow counter or a backdash to wiff the cycle since this trap was specific to keeping this range.

Last edited:
Thanks dude ive been using that Jago trap all along but I never ended it with a crouching mk if I gets blocked but now I definitely get it thats good stuff thanks bro.

End with crouching mk into light wind kick or m. laser sword if blocked before you repeat... Most people get hit with the mk so just combo if you see it hit.