Johnny Cage Thread - "I make this look easy!"

This combo in the first post ----> -11 hits 68% X-ray dash D+3 2,1 F+2 4,4 shadow kick.
Is ********...it does 52% :/, I did it today online.

johnny cage is my fav character right now... but im always loosing to sub zero and noob saibot.....

makes me sad :(

If your facing noob and they are spamming shadows simply dash and block, make sure to duck every once in a while. Sub Zero is sort of a bad matchup, especially if he can control spacing and ice clones. My best advice would be to flip kick over the ice clones(dont know if thats possible but im pretty sure it isXD) and shadow kick to close distance

johnny cage is my fav character right now... but im always loosing to sub zero and noob saibot.....

makes me sad :(

Patience is key as Sub-Zero. You're not gonna pressure to start off against him. Sit back while he throws his ice ball behind his clone. Don't block the ice, just duck. This will make him more likely to try and slide into you. If he does just press block and punish with B+3 into a combo.

Against noob just block dash and use the enhanced shadow kick whenever possible.

Patience is key as Sub-Zero. You're not gonna pressure to start off against him. Sit back while he throws his ice ball behind his clone. Don't block the ice, just duck. This will make him more likely to try and slide into you. If he does just press block and punish with B+3 into a combo.

Against noob just block dash and use the enhanced shadow kick whenever possible.

Do what I do, instead of duck, do the dick punch. You'll build meter this way.

Do what I do, instead of duck, do the dick punch. You'll build meter this way.

I do that sometimes but I'm scared to do it online. Sometimes the lag spikes and I try to do another one but instead he just ducks for a second and gets frozen. It pisses me off.

I need help applying alot of pressure in corner and midscreen, anyone care to help?

Check out my videos on my YouTube channel. YouTube.com/user/DCPvids

If you need any help with the actual inputs or commands leave a comment here or on YouTube. The lastest one against Axl is a very good example to go off of

F3,2xxEXforceball and F3,3,B3xxEXforceball imho are VERY useful to pressure the opponent and give a lot of frame advantage, but obviously I have to spend 1 bar...do you think it's worth it?
Also, what's the best way to put constant pressure?

Trust me guys, there is literally no situation where you'd want to do 4,4 after 2,1,f+2 as Johnny. End it with a nut punch always. Nut punch is unique to Johnny and favorable in every way.

Wow? How about the situation of putting the opponent in the corner from mid stage in one combo? I'd rather be doing johnnys corner rape combos ending with nut punchs rather then doing a nut punch after 4, 4, (since it tends to miss most of the time anyway) and following up with safe strings. Nut punch is more reliable when used with a b3, dash, 2, 1, 4, 4, nutpunch sorta deal or f3, 2, nutpunch/f3, 3, b3, nut punch.

jps, 2, 1, f2, dash 4, 4, shadow/flip is the way to go if the opponent is not in the corner. Alternating 2, 1, b4, and 2, 1, f2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 4, nut punch after getting your opponent in the corner with the first combo is a much better way of utilizing johnnys specials and pressure imo.

I don't see this combo here, but it's pretty easy to pull off:
2, 1 F2, dash f3, 2, shadow kick (26%)

Edit: f3, 2 instead of f3, 1,
Source: Stole it from some guy in ranked matches, although he did f3, 3, 3 and missed, I tried it with the punch variant and it worked. Threw in shadow kick, fun combo to pull off.

Last edited:
I don't see this combo here, but it's pretty easy to pull off:
2, 1 F2, dash f3, 2, shadow kick (26%)

Edit: f3, 2 instead of f3, 1,
Source: Stole it from some guy in ranked matches, although he did f3, 3, 3 and missed, I tried it with the punch variant and it worked. Threw in shadow kick, fun combo to pull off.

You don't wanna use that. It's damage is pretty weak, and unless you want to push your opponent farther away so they can zone you, don't use this combo. If what your looking for is a good combo that pushes opponent towards the corner use his 2,1,2 bnb into 4,4 - Shadow Kick.

Check out my videos on my YouTube channel. YouTube.com/user/DCPvids

If you need any help with the actual inputs or commands leave a comment here or on YouTube. The lastest one against Axl is a very good example to go off of

Thank you very much for some actual videos I can see, i'm just more of a visual learner. I don't play Johnny Cage competitively but I find him to be a very good and fun character to use so thanks.

You don't wanna use that. It's damage is pretty weak, and unless you want to push your opponent farther away so they can zone you, don't use this combo. If what your looking for is a good combo that pushes opponent towards the corner use his 2,1,2 bnb into 4,4 - Shadow Kick.

Keeping that in mind, but I usually do this knowing I have one bar for EX Shadow Kick so they think I can get kept away, whilst throwing them in a corner. I do know it takes practice, but I magically do F4, but that's more my fault then anything. Thanks for the tip. :)

F3,2xxEXforceball and F3,3,B3xxEXforceball imho are VERY useful to pressure the opponent and give a lot of frame advantage, but obviously I have to spend 1 bar...do you think it's worth it?
Also, what's the best way to put constant pressure?

Any answer?

Any answer?
A good way to start pressuring is when the opponent is a dash away and you dash in then catch them with b3, dash, 2, 1, 4, 4, nutpunch, then go into a 2, 1, b4, string to hit low and throw them off then proceed using f3, 3, frame trapping and f3, 2 strings or your bnb 2, 1, f2, dash 4, 4, flip kick to chip damage or put your opponent in the corner.

And always try to create openings with d3or4s or d1or2s into your bnbs if you dont wanna cycle your strings with 2, 1, b4, since its not the best low mixup string using footsies for openings is much more viable imo.

ex forceball is situational in my playstyle i try my best not to use ex forceballs unless trading long range when the opponents health is low

I would say your forceball combos could be viable though in maintaining frames and pressure cant say for sure if its worth it though for one bar when you could use a regular nut punch which isnt punished often and does considerable amount of damage for a meterless special.

Last edited: