Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Still, mountains and the building looks bad to me, like they was simply upscaled from low res images.
And can you make blood dark red instead of orange, cause right now it's more remind me of sh*t than old blood.

Hmm, can't say that I agree about the mountains. Plus they are far away and thus with depth of field being a factor, wouldn't be super Sharp. I'm open to someone providing me with a super high resolution replacement though. It needs to be about 4000 pixels wide. I'll see if I can make the blood on the columns look more red and less orange.

Still, mountains and the building looks bad to me, like they was simply upscaled from low res images.
And can you make blood dark red instead of orange, cause right now it's more remind me of sh*t than old blood.

Did you try to use google's image search with size set to "more then 10Mp"?
You can find images like this one (warning: it's 8640*1545, so if you have slow internet, don't open)

I came back to check out what is going on and I just saw the entire pit background remake.... I have no complaints at this point that no one else has pointed out.... except didn't the back barrier have blood on it and also wasn't there more blood on the floor? The floor part is the most important as that's where everything collects.

http://gamecomments.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/pit.jpg

OK looking at this pic perhaps not on the back barrier but on the floor yes. Strange.. I could have sworn I have seen blood on the back barrier before.

Also just FYI the blood should be brownish red as that's the color it turns when it starts drying.... as it dries it gets darker. It shouldn't be bright red unless they just sprayed it all over the area which they didn't. If anything it should be dark red with a tinge of brown. But it is correct that currently it looks too orange. Somebody was having a party and spilled their fanta all over the pit. ;)

Also the texture on the bottom looks rather blurry and lacks texture.. OK I thought I didn't have much criticism but ended up having quite a bit... sorry.

BTW, I guess one mountain range is just as good as another to some people but I wouldn't go with the carpathian mountains... the villain here isn't Vigo from Ghostbusters II! :p

BTW, no one is doing this project any favors by running and screenshotting elements in 16:10... especially since as noted it stretches all the elements.

Also I hope he didn't flatten the silhouette over the moon as not only is it an important element for finding Reptile and should only show randomly when you are there at the pit but there are other silhouettes other than Santa Claus that can fly over the moon.

Last edited:
The 10th spike on the pit bottom is a bit off. Try moving the spike a bit to the right so it will look more even with the rest of them. Great job on the pit.

BTW, no one is doing this project any favors by running and screenshotting elements in 16:10... especially since as noted it stretches all the elements.
I grabbed that screen(s) as I was playing the game which happens to be in 8:5 ratio
just to show him how they handled the top of the mountain in relation to the background color wise only.
I wasn't suggesting him the shape of the mountain at all.

It's quite obvious too, if you read my post before that one.

Last edited:
Comments noted, and will be addressed soon.

Yep the Silohoutes are all layered so they can animate. I created all 5.

I came back to check out what is going on and I just saw the entire pit background remake.... I have no complaints at this point that no one else has pointed out.... except didn't the back barrier have blood on it and also wasn't there more blood on the floor? The floor part is the most important as that's where everything collects.

http://gamecomments.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/pit.jpg

OK looking at this pic perhaps not on the back barrier but on the floor yes. Strange.. I could have sworn I have seen blood on the back barrier before.

Also just FYI the blood should be brownish red as that's the color it turns when it starts drying.... as it dries it gets darker. It shouldn't be bright red unless they just sprayed it all over the area which they didn't. If anything it should be dark red with a tinge of brown. But it is correct that currently it looks too orange. Somebody was having a party and spilled their fanta all over the pit. ;)

Also the texture on the bottom looks rather blurry and lacks texture.. OK I thought I didn't have much criticism but ended up having quite a bit... sorry.

BTW, I guess one mountain range is just as good as another to some people but I wouldn't go with the carpathian mountains... the villain here isn't Vigo from Ghostbusters II! :p

Also I hope he didn't flatten the silhouette over the moon as not only is it an important element for finding Reptile and should only show randomly when you are there at the pit but there are other silhouettes other than Santa Claus that can fly over the moon.

It's looking great overall, a few little details here and there can be change if you wanna get picky.

The blood is too bright and orange, that's the most obvious thing that sticks out to me. Another thing is more personal preference, I tend to stick dirt in all the cracks and corners, where people walk. Stuff like that so it looks like it's been there for a while.

I use rust textures for that usually, block in the areas and use a mask to reveal the grime. Go over it with the brushes later and you know... just work it till it looks natural.

I feel like I'm falling behind, I will try to get the character ready for animation by the end of this week. Been kind of busy at work lately but I'll make the effort.

Hi Bleed, Ok I'll try that. Bleed, everyone here is blown away by your talent. You take all the time you need to do it right, on your schedule. Your part is WAY harder than the backgrounds and requires much more focus and probably incredible amount of hours to do it right. The good news is once you have all of scorp's animations done it shouldn't be too hard to subzero and reptile. Once we have Subzero and Scorp done, Interloko should have enough to really get the physics and hit boxes working.

It's looking great overall, a few little details here and there can be change if you wanna get picky.

The blood is too bright and orange, that's the most obvious thing that sticks out to me. Another thing is more personal preference, I tend to stick dirt in all the cracks and corners, where people walk. Stuff like that so it looks like it's been there for a while.

I use rust textures for that usually, block in the areas and use a mask to reveal the grime. Go over it with the brushes later and you know... just work it till it looks natural.

I feel like I'm falling behind, I will try to get the character ready for animation by the end of this week. Been kind of busy at work lately but I'll make the effort.

Does anybody else know how to animate with the Biped skeleton in 3ds.max?

What I do is act the moves out on video and use it as reference along with the classic sprites. That's another thing people can help with, reference video of the motions.

I can get a robotic looking motion just using the sprites, the video helps me add very subtle movements that make it seem more realistic.

Wow, for punches that should be easy but not everyone can kick that high and even some of the actors needed help. I remember pictures of them (including Ed Boon) helping holding their legs up. It certainly would help if the person doing the video reference took martial arts so they would know how they punched, etc. although I guess you could also figure it out by observation. I mean that's mostly how you learn... the instructor has you observe them do a certain move and you do it over and over and over and practice.

Like with standing punches when you just hit HP, or LP by itself. They seem to do it the way some of the schools I used to go to do it.. with the elbows pulled all the way back and the fists at your side facing up and then turning the fist over as you are punching. You alternate pulling the elbow all the way back and "flipping the jab". Such as in these video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJsti-ZzXI and this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a_0dc4aK08 (forget the comments there the guy has it basically correct)

Does anybody else know how to animate with the Biped skeleton in 3ds.max?

What I do is act the moves out on video and use it as reference along with the classic sprites. That's another thing people can help with, reference video of the motions.

I can get a robotic looking motion just using the sprites, the video helps me add very subtle movements that make it seem more realistic.

I'm probably just confused here but if every frame is accurately recreated, shouldn't the animation match the original arcade exactly?

It will be close to the original frames if I use the same frame rate and trace them with the model. If we are doing more frames than the original games, the 3D software will create the in between frames automatically. That turns out looking very robotic if left alone, extra detail needs to be added to every animation by hand to make the transitions look more natural.

It's hard to make them look natural by imagination alone, that's why I record my self doing them first from different angles.

The different angles help even if not adding extra frames.

Last edited:
Ok another update. Just about all comments address regarding blood, spike placement, ground texture so on and so forth.

Also as a bonus, I wanted to show the Peter Pan Silo.

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

Looks pretty good although some of the blood looks repetitive like you used a cloning tool on it. Like second column from the left third row down. OK really only that one spot. I also think the blood could be a little darker but that's just me. The color is probably fine. In a way though I think the blood looks a little too much like paint like it could be more gooey\thick especially at the bottom where it collects.

Also out of curiousity are you rounding the tops of those buildings as if they are the tops of middle eastern buildings? Because they are pagodas and those are supposed to be more angular.

Real good progress though keep up the good work.. and if you feel it's too much work you can skip what I said above. Others may find how that looks just fine.

Last edited:
Yep the Silohoutes are all layered so they can animate. I created all 5.
i think there are 6, not 5 ;) i'll post them tomorrow.
santa, peter pan, witch, rocket, zeppelin, and a keg. i don't know if the translation of the lastone is fine, used google translator to know how spelled "barrilete" in english :p. is like this: http://rotafolio.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/barrilete.jpg

the last 2 days i was (and still) "fighting" with a virus. because of that i can't connect internet
i'll try to found a solution ASAP. i can't even re-install the OS, it's a netbook and the virus don't let me use the recover tool...
i can work in the project with my desktop computer (without internet at home) but i can't post as often as before :(

great work on the pit/pit bottom!!