Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Hold up you said you would need the same amount of lighting...it'd take alot of work but cant Bleed draw like really, realistically? And if not you could find someone..What if you drew a whole bunch of extremely realistic drawings of MK1 characters, all with the same lighting and detail and pose..But I think modeling would be easier and faster I don't know tell me what you think.

Hah! I got that statue too! Nice to see another truly obsessive fan around here.

Here's an example of my MK obsession - for a time I was obsessed with finding out the name of the model who portrayed The GREAT Kung Lao in Kung Lao's MK2 ending pic (i.e. the bald headed guy in the sky - NOT Tony Marquez). It just really bugs me that this guy has never been identified or credited.

auwnqg.jpg

First I did a ton of research (turned up nothing) then I asked several of the MK team and actors, some didn't reply, the rest didn't know, until I finally made one small piece of progress when Tony Goskie told me the image of the bald guy was scanned from an old reference book (and photoshopped into the sky background obviously). He said that was all he knew.

Sadly that's as far as I could ever get. Somewhere out there in the world is a reference book featuring the original pic of the bald guy who (likely unknowingly) portrayed The Great Kung Lao in MK2. But I don't know the title, subject, publisher or anything else about the book. And even if by some miracle I did find the book (as sad as it may sound I would still love to find it), the model is probably not even credited in the book itself. I know 99% of MK fans won't care but to me it's really sad that we will likely never know his name unless one day someone in the world plays MK2 and recognizes him as a friend or relative. And then puts that information out there. Which isn't gonna happen of course.

And this right here is why the REAL Mortal Kombat fans who loved the classics all belong to this web site. It's funny but because we're only just looking at MK2 now, we haven't really reached the point where those kinds of questions come up. Really who is that guy? It sure sounds like his image was plagiarized without his knowledge. If you ever do find out the answer please come back and let us know.

Here's an example of my MK obsession - for a time I was obsessed with finding out the name of the model who portrayed The GREAT Kung Lao in Kung Lao's MK2 ending pic (i.e. the bald headed guy in the sky - NOT Tony Marquez). It just really bugs me that this guy has never been identified or credited.

auwnqg.jpg

First I did a ton of research (turned up nothing) then I asked several of the MK team and actors, some didn't reply, the rest didn't know, until I finally made one small piece of progress when Tony Goskie told me the image of the bald guy was scanned from an old reference book (and photoshopped into the sky background obviously). He said that was all he knew.

Sadly that's as far as I could ever get. Somewhere out there in the world is a reference book featuring the original pic of the bald guy who (likely unknowingly) portrayed The Great Kung Lao in MK2. But I don't know the title, subject, publisher or anything else about the book. And even if by some miracle I did find the book (as sad as it may sound I would still love to find it), the model is probably not even credited in the book itself. I know 99% of MK fans won't care but to me it's really sad that we will likely never know his name unless one day someone in the world plays MK2 and recognizes him as a friend or relative. And then puts that information out there. Which isn't gonna happen of course.

Hold up you said you would need the same amount of lighting...it'd take alot of work but cant Bleed draw like really, realistically? And if not you could find someone..What if you drew a whole bunch of extremely realistic drawings of MK1 characters, all with the same lighting and detail and pose..But I think modeling would be easier and faster I don't know tell me what you think.

Yeah hand drawing frame by frame animation would look very cartoony no matter how skilled the artist is/was. Not to mention way more time consuming. 3D characters gives us so much more freedom to pose them exactly as we wish.

People can draw photorealistic pictures, but imagine this... it takes around 10+ hours to draw photo realistic picture. One. Games run at 60 frames per second. So the artist would have to draw all 60 frames for that one second of animation.

Even if framerate was lowered to something, what 2D animations use (anime for example, which is between 12-24fps), the amount of time needed to draw that... oh boy. 1 minute of animation would be over 600 hours of work or 25 days (if done in 60 fps). The dude will need years to draw basic move animations. I am not even gonna mention the mistakes and... oh boy. My head hurts from that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought as much..So topic change: I noticed that in MK1 Johnny's Shadow Kick makes much more sense because its black, but in other games its changed to green (and eclipse kick red) so are you guys gonna make it the more iconic green or the more sense-making black?

The goal is to stay very close to the original, even if things don't make sense, but we have enough freedom to be able to add some new details where they would be naturally, and others that maybe you just couldn't see because of the lower resolution.

The color of the Shadow Kick is one of those things that is not changed.

Okay good, but I know this has been discussed in the thread previously but, you said new details so are you gonna make Sub-Zero's pupils blue and Reptile's eyeballs more lizard like or will they be exact palette swaps?

It would be possible to create new looks, but since we are trying to stay close to the original, only the colors are different using palette swaps.

If we see that people want something different, it brings a new argument to the table for us to consider.

The most important thing to keep is the feel, and overall look of Mortal Kombat. Since everything is made from scratch, we have to try to stay faithful, but embrace the idea that it's not going to be a perfect copy, that would be foolish. We can make changes without going overboard.

If we decide something is only going to improve the game in an acceptable way, then maybe the change is okay, but we can't go changing things just because, we need good reason, which takes in part, a look at general census.

Last edited:
It would be possible to create new looks, but since we are trying to stay close to the original, only the colors are different using palette swaps.

If we see that people want something different, it brings a new argument to the table for us to consider.

The most important thing to keep is the feel, and overall look of Mortal Kombat. Since everything is made from scratch, we have to try to stay faithful, but embrace the idea that it's not going to be a perfect copy, that would be foolish. We can make changes without going overboard.

If we decide something is only going to improve the game in an acceptable way, then maybe the change is okay, but we can't go changing things just because, we need good reason, which takes in part, a look at general census.

Okay that's fair it was just an in-universe thing kinda like Scorpion's eyes he was resurrected as a specter therefore he has no pupils, Reptile is a Zaterran therefore MK4 and up he has had a lizard like appearance.

Okay that's fair it was just an in-universe thing kinda like Scorpion's eyes he was resurrected as a specter therefore he has no pupils, Reptile is a Zaterran therefore MK4 and up he has had a lizard like appearance.

I think this is actually a thing that you guys could consider. There were a lot of limitations when MK1 was made, and characters like Reptile didn't even have a bio. I'd definitely think it would make more sense to give Reptile and Scorpion different eyes. Subtle but cool detail.

Ed Boon;
2jayykj.jpg

John Tobias:
2rmuwxe.jpg

John Vogel:
2ip5xi.jpg

Dan Forden (maybe?):
35byt0z.jpg

The female some say is Peg Burr, but I've never seen any evidence
or photo of the actual Peg Burr to compare. Maybe it's wife or girlfriend
of someone of the staff and they put it in just for the lolz, don't know.

But if anyone has a pic of Peg Burr then that would be fine. It does look female anyway.

the girl is peg burr

TL;DR:

Peg Burr confirmed she is NOT the female severed head from MK1's Pit Bottom. The female severed head is most likely a girl named Alison Quant, who also happens to be credited in MK1.

Alison Quant:
30xfnlw.jpg

She appears in this video. Watch for a minute until you see the not too obvious MK connection:
https://youtu.be/nAHQTLrxgt0?t=129

If you want to know how I reached this conclusion read below in this order:
-ORIGINAL POST
-UPDATE 1
-UPDATE 2
-UPDATE 3

That's it. Thank you for your time and patience.

UPDATE 3:

Ladies and gentlemen Ms. Peg Burr herself:

"I can verify that I have credit in the game (MK1, MK3, UMK3, MKT) as the voice of sonya blade in the mortal kombat franchise, but I never did any image capture, only voice over, working with my pal and audio engineer, Dan Forden. That's not my image - i have no idea who the severed head is."

And her Facebook page for anyone interested:
https://www.facebook.com/peg.burr

So there you have it. The female severed head in MK1's Pit Bottom is not Peg Burr, but most likely Alison Quant. There is a 99.9% chance this is right, with that 0.1% being the only remaining female who happens to be credited in MK1, Pam Erikson, but for her to be the severed head she would have to have an even closer resemblance to the severed head than Quant's, but that is highly unlikely.

UPDATE 2:

Turns out the guy being interviewed is a sound designer named Paul Heitsch. THE Paul Heitsch from the "Special Thanks" credits in MK1! After this I found out that the "top secret" pinball for which the girl is doing the voice acting is called "Creature from the Black Lagoon" which credits both Heitsch and a girl named "Alison Quant":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_(pinball)

Wait a minute... THE Alison Quant from MK1 "Special Thanks" credits? I doubt there was ANOTHER Alison Quant ALSO working for Midway/Williams at the time, who happened to be credited alongside Paul Heitsch in BOTH the pinball machine and MK1.

UPDATE 1:

I may have made a terrible mistake. I was watching an old video from some interviewer who went to Williams/Midway in the early 90s. At one point the guy interviews a pinball sound designer while a girl is doing some voice acting in the studio.

Let me get this through, a female working for WILLIAMS/MIDWAY in the NINETIES doing VOICE ACTING, RIGHT NEXT TO and DURING the apparent post-production time of MK1?

You can watch the video here (they also interview Ed Boon, John Tobias and a few of the original MK actors after that):
https://youtu.be/nAHQTLrxgt0?t=129

Let's compare her picture to the game image now.

Unknown girl:
30xfnlw.jpg

Notice her long straight nose as well as her oval face. Not to mention her haircut.
I'd say in all 100% certainty we have a winner here guys.

I am asking Miss Peg Burr from Chigaco, IL (the one I originally posted about, who worked for Midway in the 90s) what she knows about all this mess. Stay tuned.

ORIGINAL POST:

Seven years late but here it is.

I always wondered who all these The Pit stage corpses were. Until not long ago I used to think Vogel's head was Ed's. I also thought the severed female head was Elizabeth Malecki's (Sonya) but [MENTION=12860]la_luna[/MENTION]'s post pointed me out in the right direction.

Turns out Peg Burr is the perfect candidate.

Peg Burr:
29zbryx.png

"Then" picture:
Notice and compare:
-The width of her lips (as well as their lip liner)
-The height of her forehead
-The shape of her cheekbones
-And although a barely different hairstyle: her curly hair (a fashion trend from the 80s and 90s).

In her MK image it would seem she has cheek dimples, especially on her right cheek, although it is hard to tell due to the quality of the image.

"Now" picture:
I added this one to point out her slightly-deviated-to-her-right nose (which cannot be appreciated in her "Then" picture), and its bulbous rounded tip, both just like in her MK image.

In Mobygames she is credited with MK1 "Special Thanks to" and MK3/UMK3 "Grunts, Screams, Groans and Gibberish":
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,3353/

According to her IMDB (apparently written by herself) she is the voice of Sonya Blade in the 2D games:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667373/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

At this point I would say there is a 99% certainty that Peg Burr is the severed female head in MK1's Pit Bottom as [MENTION=12860]la_luna[/MENTION] and other people back in the day were saying.

Guess the only identities left to find, unless someone else has already done so, are the stabbed guy behind the pillars's (which I think is Carlos Pesina) and the stabbed guy in white's (the one on the floor, which I think may be Sal Divita who was also credited in this game, and who would later be Nightwolf and the Cyber-ninjas in MK3 as well as Vs.-screen Raiden from MKT). "What for" you ask? Just for the sake to do so ;)

PS: Although redundant, here is a reference image of MK1's Pit Bottom stage which shows the location of all corpses/severed heads, for reference purposes:

16ixkpw.jpg

Last edited:
Wow this was a useful post. Thanks for sharing this with me. Do you know how long I've been searching for pictures of Peg Burr? It feels like an eternity. Thanks again for your help.

Wow this was a useful post. Thanks for sharing this with me. Do you know how long I've been searching for pictures of Peg Burr? It feels like an eternity. Thanks again for your help.

THIS IS NEXT LEVEL detective work friend. Alison Quant you say? What a find. I think you are 100% right. Let see if we can dig up more pictures of Ms. Quant.