Sub Zero is awful in this game

ShaunyKass

Seriously. He is in slow motion. It makes no sense at all. Scorpion is much faster and they've always had pretty much the same speed in every game. He feels like he weighs 400 pounds, I can't stand it.

He is pretty slow. Maybe I am not skilled enough to use him properly, but at this point I would choose any of the other ninja characters over Sub-Zero.

He does feel incredibly slow but I like him. As a matter of fact he is my main and most favorite character, so to each their own. You shouldn't be playing sub-zero if you don't like playing patiently and taking your time with your attacks. I like this change, there's a bigger difference between the characters than the old palette swap.

He may be slower but he's more powerful, have you guys never played a fighting game before? That's how they differentiate characters.

Also Subs is pretty awesome in this game if you know what you're doing.

He may be slower but he's more powerful, have you guys never played a fighting game before? That's how they differentiate characters.

Also Subs is pretty awesome in this game if you know what you're doing.

This exactly. I'm glad there wasn't too much of a difference (at least to me) between in game Sub and demo Sub. He doesn't suck if you know what your doing with him. Now, I'm not saying by any means that I'm an expert or anything, but if you take the time to learn him, as with any character, it can be well worth it. I can do an 8 hit combo for 44% damage with him. I honestly prefer my favorite characters over him; however, for those who love Sub... don't give up. He is actually pretty good.

Maybe he is a bit slow, but, his combos are deadly .....

He can start a basic good combo sequence with any of the 4 buttons, he can fake pretty well with his clone, his wall combos are pretty good, and his combos commands are pretty easy to do, to memorize, and to link together, one after another .... At first, I thought he was a crap, waste of character, basing in the demo gameplay, but, after playing with him in demo for days, I changed my mind, an seeing some gameplay videos of skilled players using him, you can say that mastering Sub-Zero in this game is a fine art, mixing his defensive nature with devastating combos. He is a counter-attacker by nature.

Sub is a combo machine in this game. They take some practice, and I'm not too good yet, but holy crap he can deal out the damage. Just because they nerfed his speed a little doesn't mean he sucks.

OP, you're not playing Sub like hes meant to be played. I think Scorpion is more of your taste.

Sub is more of a defensive player, hence his slow down. All his special moves makes him a great defensive character. His Ice Clone eliminates rush down and when caught, can deal a great damage with his combos. Hes a tank for sure.

this is an interesting thread :p

i think subby wabby is bad and the reason why is

1st : his combos are pretty weak when i tried him out.
reptile got 3 option to strike the opponent into the air 2 force balls and EX version of d, b, 2.
also note that reptile can use 2 forceballs when hes going to juggle.

Sub Zero can freeze you once when hes juggling AND the time youre frozen is pretty short!
and sub zero got 3 special moves where hes just freezing you.

so the fact is:

when you got your opponent in d, b, 1 then you cant use d, f 3 in your juggles.

2nd:

hes pretty slow in his attacks which makes him pretty hard to play against kitana or other very very fast characters

some of the combos from the demo gameplay arent possible anymore.

example.

in the demo you could do 2,1,f+4 (not sure if this is the right string) than you could do his xray which was a good way to end your juggles.

this is not possible anymore.

this is an interesting thread :p

1. His combos are not weak, you just havent explored him well enough yet.
a. Sub can only freeze you once was done for balancing purpose. You cant compare a Freeze move to any projectiles because it stops and immobilizes the opponent. The time frame for it is beyond reasonable. He isnt made to spam the freeze ball.
b. Hes got 3 special moves where he is freezing you because thats his play style. He is a defensive character and can be deadly when those 3 freeze moves that you speak of is played properly.
2.He is slow for a reason, hes not your typical rush down character.

Again, no disrespect to you but people are playing Sub Zero wrong. Watch this video for examples of Sub Zero's combo capabilities. Shows 35-45%, im sure it can go higher as time goes on.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/18979-Get-Competitive-Day-1-Combo-Video

Last edited:
I used to think Sub-Zero was bad when I first played the demo. But after I played more, I realized that he's actually great. I can easily pull off 8 hit combos that put out 30% damage, and he's extremely easy to combo into an x-ray. Others say he is a good defensive character and I agree, but for the most part I play extremely offensive with him. Check out some basic/intermediate combo videos of him on youtube, and try them yourselves. I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you put some play time into him.

Defense is a great offense :D
His Ice Clone stops all random jump ins and limits the play of field of the opponent. Once you learn setups with Sub Zero, I believe he will be a strong offensive-rush down character utilizing his Ice Clone. 30-40% damage per combo is well more than enough. 3 of those combos kills a character.

Sub-Zero has a 100% damage combo off wall and a 40 something % damage combo which I think is actually pretty damn good.

SubZero is slower than other but its awesome, is the fighter wich i have more skills, CSZ is slower than SZ and i dont like it, its pretty boring, only good thing is that has a teleport move, SZ must should have one, is pure logic! when he enters in battle in his intro he ice-teleports to the battlefield, so he can teleports!

sub zero is defensive. scorpion is offensive oriented. Button mashers like scorpion because of that reason. You have to learn to play as sub zero.