Johnny Cage Thread - "I make this look easy!"

no problem. and thanx man. i appreciate it. since you seem to be (in)famous lol...wanna fight some day and record our matches? ppl would enjoy two high skilled players fighting and plus I think they'd enjoy my kitana...since I'm one of few who actually play her the right way

Sounds good dude. Just hit me up over PSN whenever you see me on.

Ehy DCP, I watched your video vs. MikeMetroid. Congratulations, very nice games :).
I noticed my Cage and yours play differently, but honestly I don't think my playstyle or yours can be considered "the right one".
Here are the differences:

1) I love to use EX Forceball strings; you and Mike never use it
2) I very rarely use EX nutpunch when I'm distant to my opponent; you did it many times (probably because of your history with MikeMetroid, trying to anticipate his move)
3) I use both 11,11,44xxnutpunch and 2,2,44xxnutpunch; you and Mike only use 11,11,44xxnutpunch (or 11,11,44xxEXnutpunch...I don't think this is useful anyway)
4) I use naked EX forceballs very rarely; you and Mike use this pretty often

and now, some errors that both me and you guys do:

- spend meter on EX flipkick when it doesn't give you the round victory
- don't use nutpunch everytime you hit the opponent with f3, and go for f3,3,b3 instead of f3,3xxnutpunch or f3,2xxnutpunch
- EX flipkick wakeup

That's all...let me know what you think

Last edited:
1.When you're playing against another cage, EX fireball strings just waste your meter and honestly I don't need to keep someone frame trapped with meter.
2. We actually have never played with each other, but yeah we are both waiting for something like a shadow kick or a red shadow kick. Its just failing at prediction.
3.This was an ONLINE game, online on the PS3 I could barely do the 11 11 44 nutpunch combo it was dropping inputs. Normally I do the 2 2 2 44 nut. I'm not used to the PS3's online play its worse than the 360s. Input delay is totally off.
4.I use it to catch someone off guard or to get chip damage cause at a distance cage can only do so much.

Your opponent is gonna be closer to you if you finish your 3 string. You will have the ability to do a 2, 1, tick grab or other options. I don't like doing a nutpunch in the middle of rush down, if messed up you throw your opponent away.

And yes I EXFlip kick way too much just because its awesome to do. It gets me hype midmatch.

Last edited:
1.When you're playing against another cage, EX fireball strings just waste your meter and honestly I don't need to keep someone frame trapped with meter.
2.The EX nut punch can cancel pokes and is way faster than the majority attacks. can only be stopped by blocking or an armored attack(Or sub's freeze)
3.This was an ONLINE game, online on the PS3 I could barely do the 11 11 44 nutpunch combo it was dropping inputs. Normally I do the 2 2 2 44 nut. I'm not used to the PS3's online play its worse than the 360s. Input delay is totally off.
4.I use it to catch someone off guard or to get chip damage cause at a distance cage can only do so much.

Your opponent is gonna be closer to you if you finish your 3 string. You will have the ability to do a 2, 1, tick grab or other options. I don't like doing a nutpunch in the middle of rush down, if messed up you throw your opponent away.

And yes I EXFlip kick way too much just because its awesome to do. It gets me hype midmatch.

1) I was talking about generic matches...not specific.
Anyway, why is it useless to use EX Forceballs strings against another Cage? Imho it works...

2) I know what EX Nutpunch properties are, I only noticed that sometimes DCP used it when he is at dash-jump distance from you and that probably he does it because he tries to predict your moves.

btw, I don't want to start a discussion like "my cage is better than your cage bla bla bla...", my purpose is only to confront our playstyle and hopefully improve.

I didn't say it was useless. Im just saying in general I don't like using the string because you don't need to waste meter for Pressure unless its like an ex dick punch.

I edited my post because I re read what you said on 2. Look at the time I posted it though, how long were you posting a message? ;)

I want to thank you too. Your videos and comments have been a big help in teaching me how to play as Cage. Now I can proudly say my Johnny is responsible for many a rage quit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNqXk0Clbc&feature=related

ok so this guy has some unconventional johhny combo's, most of them useless, but nonetheless interesting.
but..
this guy does something which i cannot..
check the combo at 1:31, he does, not 1, not 2, but 3! f+4's in a row!!! how!? i cant even do 2 in a row!

anybody else do this?

also notice the combo's with the Exlow ball. heaps cool!

More like the only way to use Johnny Cage. If you want to start using Cage correctly, here's your Bible.

great matches, it's interesting to see how someone else plays as Johnny.

my style of play is very different though, my main focus is forcing the opponent to the corner with very simple midscreen close ground combos (I rarely jump in) and then I let my combo bird fly when they're up against the wall. Works well for me, except for when I face zoners, then I get some trouble.

respect comes to those who are humble, and dont expect it to be bestowed upon them.

Have you seen how much DCP has contributed to this thread? To Johnny Cage-knowledge in general? I'd say he's easily deserving of respect. Despite the ego.

Have you seen how much DCP has contributed to this thread? To Johnny Cage-knowledge in general? I'd say he's easily deserving of respect. Despite the ego.

i got nothing against DCP,i actually do have respect for him..he's a great player.. despite the ego.. as you put it.

i was remarking about his sense of entitlement to respect,
that c o c k y cage mannerism.
it ticks me off, but whav ev!

im just sick of EVERYONE sucking up his ass on TRMK.

he's good with johnny i get it, i know DCP loves to hear the praise,
but it gets old.. and his head is gonna explode!!! lol.

(i mean no offence DCP)
here's a freebie for being a good sport.

"your the bestest cage everrrrr !!!"

and this was DAYS ago poodle-dude...

Just a neat question for Johnny Cage users like myself :)

Which costume do you use?

1. Default
2. Default (Red pants)
3. Blue Tux
4. Black Tux

I either use the black tux or the default because I loved him in MK2