Player 1 advantage :(

Happy

BANALITY
This is a thread that has been developing on TYM over the past few days.

Research indicates that Player 1 has the advantage in trades, even with delayed inputs.

The thread is here. One of the videos in the thread illustrates the problem.

For the first 3 kicks, both buttons are pressed simultaneously. For the last 3 kicks, the P1 button press is delayed yet the result is still the same.

That's pretty damn weird. Did you try it with different characters? Like Johnny vs Sonya, or some other kombatants?

That's pretty damn weird. Did you try it with different characters? Like Johnny vs Sonya, or some other kombatants?

Yeah if you check the thread a lot of testing has been done with lots of characters. There are only a couple of exceptions found so far - like Kung Lao's spin and X-ray that win regardless.

Here's more proof by somberness. The moves are done then the characters swap place.

What about parries? If player one attacks player two at the same time Cyber sub parries, would player one win?

Not a low poke but a standing attack.

Pretty sure this has been known for a VERY long time.

The only thing I didn't know is it was only player 1. when I was told before It randomly selects player1 or player2 for the round to have the advantage.

also the first video. It would've been 10x more helpful if they changed stances. instead of doing the exact same stance for every single test. I'd feel more comfortable with their evidence if they tested stance swapping.

Pretty sure this has been known for a VERY long time.

The only thing I didn't know is it was only player 1. when I was told before It randomly selects player1 or player2 for the round to have the advantage.

also the first video. It would've been 10x more helpful if they changed stances. instead of doing the exact same stance for every single test. I'd feel more comfortable with their evidence if they tested stance swapping.

Do the testing yourself and post the results here.

Well I know this debate over wordplay is getting heated but the question remains: What would you assume the big deal of having 'Player 1' advantage? Does it affect the whole community when it to make it or break matches?

Well I know this debate over wordplay is getting heated but the question remains: What would you assume the big deal of having 'Player 1' advantage? Does it affect the whole community when it to make it or break matches?

It can result in a difference of win or lose with equally skilled players. (at an extremely minor level mind you)

But don't expect to be able to beat like Perfect Legend just because you got port 1. The advantage is small enough it only affects even skill.

The main problem with it at high level, is when people got money on the line and then it feels like they can put the blame on the port priority, or a bug ect ect.

For everyone else who doesn't really make the big dough. It's a "meh" thing. Everyone else is just placing for bragging rights if you aren't in the money.

SSBB has tripping in brawl, yet they still play that competitively. I hate SSBB, and I think tripping and port priority is stupid.

Best you can do is complain to NRS and hope they put effort into fixing it.

Other people are currently working on more testing to contribute usefully to the community. I'll post back here any more good videos. It all depends how bad the bug is.

Some people feel it is a 'just frame' thing which wouldn't be so bad. If player one has the advantage when player two has several frames head start that is really bad.

Also YunQ

They are already discussing if people should do coin flips or RPS to determine Port 1

Maybe people could instead decide on port changing for each match?

say Player 1, wins match 1. Player 2 will now get port priority, and player 1 will switch to player 2.

OR do you think that'd be too much "work" and slow down tournament time by alot.

Also YunQ

They are already discussing if people should do coin flips or RPS to determine Port 1

Maybe people could instead decide on port changing for each match?

say Player 1, wins match 1. Player 2 will now get port priority, and player 1 will switch to player 2.

OR do you think that'd be too much "work" and slow down tournament time by alot.

I wouldn't think it would slow down tournament time because it's all decided on a coin toss. Kinda like football. Coin flip at the beginning and coin flip at half time (After match).

But I can see a whole, ""He only won EVO because he had Port 1!" debate going on if it affects people like that.

I wouldn't think it would slow down tournament time because it's all decided on a coin toss. Kinda like football. Coin flip at the beginning and coin flip at half time (After match).

But I can see a whole, ""He only won EVO because he had Port 1!" debate going on if it affects people like that.

I think you missed my point.

The coin toss isn't what would take forever.

The idea of changing who's player 1 and who's player 2 every match so people have a closer to equal time of being player1.

Basically best 2 of 3....

You'd have to change who's player 1, 2-3 times. see what I'm saying?

I decided to test it out a little bit myself. I tried different stances, distances, and direction characters are facing on the screen. It seemed consistent with the Kitana mirror match, but not so much with Sonya or Kano. Granted part it may have to do with differences in sensitivity with between the controllers and my laterality.

I decided to test it out a little bit myself. I tried different stances, distances, and direction characters are facing on the screen. It seemed consistent with the Kitana mirror match, but not so much with Sonya or Kano. Granted part it may have to do with differences in sensitivity with between the controllers and my laterality.

yeah that's why I'd have to capture it at 60fps, just so i can slow it down and catch every frame. Because I'm not satisfied with just doing a bunch of button pushing at the same time and hoping my fingers are hitting the buttons at the same time.

One guy brought up a point saying sometimes the "2nd" guy to go will win out just becaause it's considered hitting the extended hurtbox.

For example in SSBM when you throw out a F-Smash with 2 marths. You space properly so 1 marth will miss just barely. The 2nd marth will win the exchange because he's hitting the extended hurtbox created by the move itself.

alot of variables people have to consider.