Official Fan Fiction Discussion Thread

I think it would be just nifty if everyone posted the inspiration for their stories.

Most of my Rebuilding Stories are due to a character constantly getting shitted on.
Jarek, Shujinko, Kai etc.

Sektor Fanfic was just something I thought of while having a shitty day at work.

And Among Enemies came to me when Me, Tab, Sky & NS were talking about becoming roomates irl.

My MK 10 story was inspired mainly by people throwing out their ideas in the story thread and I also wanted post mk3 characters to shine. I initially just thought of breifly putting out all events I wanted to see in the next game but it somehow ended up being a fanfic. :laugh:

Due to the good response from the Mk10 story I thought of continuing it into MK 11. Kai's chapter was inspired by BBBLP's take on Kai and I expanded a bit upon it. The chapter Attilio (Liu Kang's and Kitana's son) was Outworld's Goddess's idea. Smoke's chapter was inspired by the famous Nuclear Meltdown at Pripyat, Russia. Tremor's backstory and chapter was inspired by the Naruto sand ninja, Gara.

MKDaz had approached me to write a fanfic on Scorpion and Sub Zero and thats how MK:Fire and Ice came into frutition. Also the biggest inspiration for the first few chapters was a concept art I saw, where Rain prepares to fight Goro atop a mountain. I thought it was Sub Zero at first, and thats wht inspired the fight scenes. Also the part on Sub Zero's ancestors was inspired by Tenkai's OC Syphonius and his race of Salmaticans.
In short it is actually the work of others that inspired me the most than my own ideas. :laugh:

For WSHH in MK9 storymode, my inspiration was that there was no real comedy on here so I decided to take the challenge

Idk what I was smoking to write MK Logic, hell I'm only a high schooler. I have no experience with adult affairs. I guess that since it was pure fantasty is what got me going.

For MKHS it was all about taking some of my real life experiences and turning them into hilarious fantasies.

I got the inspiration to do Tournament of the Wastes by playing Fallout and comparing the factions in New Vegas to the ones in MK.

My current project, Pitch Black (Link is in sig) was inspired by looking back at a Sektor render I did a while back.

374px-Sektor_render2.png

Man, I really wish I had time to continue MK:Fire and Ice with MKDaz and Toxic, I really loved the route that story was headed, especially with the inclusion of Nameless and his story arc and the remaining story and new characters. Hopefully we will be able to comtinue it someday, it will definitely be worth the wait. :)

I got my inspiration from alot of things.

I got the idea of having Ermac regenerating and resurrecting himself from The Humunculus in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I got the idea of having Ermac in the Shirai Ryu Clan by reading about how he Was put into the game by Mistake. This also also the reason for the events of my fanfic changing the history of my story completely.

I got the idea of the Shirai Ryu capturing the Map of the Temple of element after seeing how people always wondered what it would be like if Scorpion defeated Subzero. Too bad for him and fans, the story still ends with his clan being destroyed.

I got the idea of the last chapter after I watched the FMA Brotherhood episides about the battle between Ed and Father.

And finally, the inspiration for creating the story and redoing the characters' personalities came from Ed Boon's Motal Kombat series. All of the characters were satisfyingly different, but a few of the character's backstories were a little boring and kinda unrelated to the main reason for fighting. This was originally suppose to be about MK4-MKD going MK9 style, but I decided to start before the begining of the beginning.

Revision came from me being bored off my ass when I worked at Sonic.
Wanting it to be a full revised MKI-MK9 Smoke bio (including automation), I couldn't write anything when I got home.
So, I messed around writing a piece on Kuai Liang... it evolved from there :laugh:

That insane ass sunshine mouth story came from I have no idea.. just thoughts me and my friends have said. Like, "What if someone's dad throws a pillow at them from the living room into the kitchen. And then lol, the kid takes his dick out and pisses on the table ahahaha. :rofl:"

And of course, Among Enemies came from Bbblp and I helped with some of the plot elements :cool:

I need to go through my stuff at home and find my old stories.

I am high on detective stories, ****ing love them, and I wrote a great one in particular YEARS ago. My favourite movie is L.A. Confidential so it had that feel to it.

I gave it a really terrible name, as it was not 'finalized' in my mind yet, so I made a 'working title', lol, and I still hadn't come up with a name for it. I don't think I even finished the story, come to think of it....****, I really want to hop over to my dad's house and rip my room apart now.

I also made my own anime =) Well, not an actual cartoon of it, I just drew all the characters, wrote up all their bios, and started the story. That one, I am pretty sure I took when I moved out of my house, so it is here in my closet.

I need to go through my stuff at home and find my old stories.

I am high on detective stories, ****ing love them, and I wrote a great one in particular YEARS ago. My favourite movie is L.A. Confidential so it had that feel to it.

I gave it a really terrible name, as it was not 'finalized' in my mind yet, so I made a 'working title', lol, and I still hadn't come up with a name for it. I don't think I even finished the story, come to think of it....****, I really want to hop over to my dad's house and rip my room apart now.

I also made my own anime =) Well, not an actual cartoon of it, I just drew all the characters, wrote up all their bios, and started the story. That one, I am pretty sure I took when I moved out of my house, so it is here in my closet.

Post that stuff.... I'll READ.

If I find them, I will post them, but, be warned, I was like 15 when I wrote them, lol.

If I find them, I will post them, but, be warned, I was like 15 when I wrote them, lol.

lol, No critical judgement from me here. I wrote plenty of fiction when I was but merely 15 as well.

At 15 though I didn't write any original fiction.

and like 90% of my stories are incomplete lol.

Man, I really wish I had time to continue MK:Fire and Ice with MKDaz and Toxic, I really loved the route that story was headed, especially with the inclusion of Nameless and his story arc and the remaining story and new characters. Hopefully we will be able to comtinue it someday, it will definitely be worth the wait. :)
I really wish I didnt have a really long break from writing Fire & Ice... I missed it xD I think im gonna get back into Fire & Ice soon, I really have to refresh my memory of everything we have done and needs to be done :)

Oh and awesome thread =D

When it comes to writing stories, I have an issue with actually finishing them. I get a lot of ideas that pop into my head at once and then I start to write them out, getting to a certain point where I end up saying 'shit, where the hell do I go from here?' I've written quote a bit of material, from stories to scripts, but I don't think I have ever concluded any of them....I just hit a wall, and then I forget about it for a long time, which makes it worse, because the visuals go away over time and I don't get that same feeling for the story, which is why I end up starting another story, only to have it left hanging as well, lol.

I get my inspiration from movies, books and games. One of my favourite shows is Sex and the City and I had written part of a script for a show that sort of took on that same kind of idea (focusing around female friends dealing with typical female life issues) and I had written out all the characters bios and did a few pages of the script (which was actually really good, lol) but I then just lost track of it and the script is sitting in my apartment somewhere. I also started my anime story, complete with pictures of each character, their bios, a summary of the storyline, even started a page of drawings for it (like a manga), but forgot about it (this was done about 10 years ago now). I went as far as having pages of locations in the story listed and what their significance was. The whole project was probably the best thing I have ever done but I ran into a blank and never continued it.

I just get a load of ideas to start something but then the ideas to continue it don't happen. Then, at random, I will think of something I would want to happen in that character's life but the problem is the events that need to be filled in leading up to that point.

Too many unfinished ideas in my head.

When it comes to writing stories, I have an issue with actually finishing them. I get a lot of ideas that pop into my head at once and then I start to write them out, getting to a certain point where I end up saying 'shit, where the hell do I go from here?' I've written quote a bit of material, from stories to scripts, but I don't think I have ever concluded any of them....I just hit a wall, and then I forget about it for a long time, which makes it worse, because the visuals go away over time and I don't get that same feeling for the story, which is why I end up starting another story, only to have it left hanging as well, lol.

I get my inspiration from movies, books and games. One of my favourite shows is Sex and the City and I had written part of a script for a show that sort of took on that same kind of idea (focusing around female friends dealing with typical female life issues) and I had written out all the characters bios and did a few pages of the script (which was actually really good, lol) but I then just lost track of it and the script is sitting in my apartment somewhere. I also started my anime story, complete with pictures of each character, their bios, a summary of the storyline, even started a page of drawings for it (like a manga), but forgot about it (this was done about 10 years ago now). I went as far as having pages of locations in the story listed and what their significance was. The whole project was probably the best thing I have ever done but I ran into a blank and never continued it.

I just get a load of ideas to start something but then the ideas to continue it don't happen. Then, at random, I will think of something I would want to happen in that character's life but the problem is the events that need to be filled in leading up to that point.

Too many unfinished ideas in my head.

I'm huge on not finishing things as well.

but for different reasons. I'm not lost with my story, I usually storyboard the whole thing out before starting to try and make it so I can't give an excuse to myself like "Well dunno what to do now"

My unfinished work is a direct result of me comparing myself to other writers... and I always feel like my work is extremely corny and or crappy. I think of great movies and great writers, and their plots/dialogue. Then I look at my work and I think "this is garbage" and I scrap it.

funny considering I use to post everything on Fanfiction.net and fictionpress.net. And the stories I thought were trash and stopped. after a couple of months people were sending me hate mail for not continuing. So apparently I had quite a number of people interested... but I dunno If I don't like it I don't have the motivation to finish it. Sorry to all those folks of my past who loved my work but I can't force myself to write a story I have no motivation for. otherwise It will turn to even more crap because it will feel rushed.

That's one of my issues as well. I think 'goddamn, what a stupid name and what a stupid idea for a story' but we are our hardest critics and it's easier to feel embarrassed/disappointed in our own work before giving it a fighting chance than it is for other people reading it.

My RE story (the side story) had been bumped a couple of times between 2004 and 2005 and people wanted the next chapter but I just couldn't think of where to go next.

I have a 'mystery woman' involved and I probably knew who she was back then but almost 10 years of not keeping with the story has me totally out of the loop as to who I meant to make the mystery woman. I have two people in mind but, yeah, not even sure if either are the ones I wanted it to be.

I have a problem similar to those, but instead of having the problem of bit finishing, I have a problem of not Ending.

Four years ago, when I was 13, I made a Naruto Fanfiction that turn out to be a great story. I finished 2 seasons of that story, but I stop releasing chapters after a making a few for season 3. It wasn't because I ran out of ideas, it was because my computer crashed and I stay offline for atleast 3-5 months. My iPhone is the only way for me to go on the Internet, other than the Library. If my computer didn't crash, I would still be working on season 7 by now. I had finally though up an ending to wrap up the entire fanfic, but I never released it because I wanted to keep the series open just incase I ever want to make more chapters for it in the future (which I don't plan on doing anymore). I did the same thing with a sprite comic of mine as well. I just enjoy how stories are written up until the very end. And still, I want those stories to somehow continue. When I finished playing Mortal Kombat Armageddon, I was hoping there would be more stories for Ed Boon to add in future Mortal Kombat games that would continue how the game develops. That was one reason for me creating my fanfic. I do plan to stop making Motal Kombat stories after I finish with the trilogy, but if I get some new ideas the story will never end. I like stories to be just like life. To continue until everyone dies.

Although my experience in fanfic writing is limited, so far I did not meet a dead end regards the story and if my stories are incomplete, its mainly due to the lack of time and not due to the lack of ideas. I plan the entire story out before actually commencing to write. When I get ideas with regards to the story, I take down notes and expand them while writing later on. I think its much better to take your time planning and improvising on the ideas than just writing them out the moment it pops in your head. As for my MK 10 story, I took 3 times of the amount of time for planning than actually writing it.

This is the approach I follow. At the start, I decide how the story should be started/time period it is set in etc and how the story will end/time period etc. Now since I got two limits I start bridging the gap in between with major events from the notes I took down and place them in the time period of the story (more towards the start or more towards the end etc). As and when I get more ideas I take notes and continue to bridge the gap till the story is complete and is arranged in a logical manner. Sometimes when I want to get to writing soon as possible I sit and brainstorm for 3 hr sessions and forcefully fill in the remaining gaps and complete the story board. Now the story would be divided into a number of events (you can see this in my MK10 story, where after each paragraph/event, I gave a heading in yellow color) and I start writing. Sometimes as we go into details more ideas may pop up which I include into the story as well.

I think this approach is followed it will be much easier to complete the story rather than just write out a section of the story and brainstorm later on. :)