Retcon..... or not ?

Katalina Caine

I was thinking... The majority of us think that mortal kombat 9 had many retcon and try to imagine what could be the X history based on the events of MK4-MKA that Raiden could not stop in the new timeline.
But, I was thinking and I imagine something new to consider.

When I shout "shut up" to my neighbour, all other neighbours can hear me, so what if the message sent by the future Raiden to its past form could be heared by others, like Shinnok. That would explain some of retcons and if this is the case, so it create a butterfly effect explaining the others retcon.

Do you think I'm wrong ?

Hmm... That's interesting, it would definitely explain why Quan Chi was so active in MK9's story as opposed to presumably stay in the shadows like in the original timeline.

This is a really plausible theory.

That's all I really have to say on the matter because we don't know what the true reason is.

Not so sure about that, Dark Raiden seemed to be speaking through his amulet. So I'd imagine that only the person holding the amulet could hear/see the messages.

And Quan Chi is more active this time around because he didn't exist beforehand :laugh:

I always thought that Raiden wasn't the only one to receive the message from the future. I have a strong feeling that Shinnok picked up on it as well, or at the very least is aware of a change being made to the timeline.

And this speculation is better if we suppose that Shinnok receive the message before Raiden receive it (it's a message in four dimensions after all).

Not so sure about that, Dark Raiden seemed to be speaking through his amulet. So I'd imagine that only the person holding the amulet could hear/see the messages.

And Quan Chi is more active this time around because he didn't exist beforehand :laugh:

This amulet is the most stupid fail ever on mk, i ll not explain why i disrespect a stupid person like voguel with crazy ideas, But this amulet neighter has never existed mk ar why in mk9?

And i agree with catalina, you are not wrong, specially if the elder gods are involved in mkx.

I would preffer to say that all mk9 and mk10 backstory is a wrong vision of Delia, and that the alternative timeline has never existed. Reboot in video games is for utopian ppl

This amulet is the most stupid fail ever on mk, i ll not explain why i disrespect a stupid person like voguel with crazy ideas, But this amulet neighter has never existed mk ar why in mk9?

And i agree with catalina, you are not wrong, specially if the elder gods are involved in mkx.

I would preffer to say that all mk9 and mk10 backstory is a wrong vision of Delia, and that the alternative timeline has never existed. Reboot in video games is for utopian ppl

All previous MK games were so incredibly vague that the writers could easily write the amulet into the story as having always existed.

All previous MK games were so incredibly vague that the writers could easily write the amulet into the story as having always existed.

except mk1 mk2 and mk4, the rest is thanks to ppl like voguel, imo is not excuse this stupid amulet. Also how was posible that the characters at mk9 during the armageddon war has changed/shifted to their own future mk9 outfit, except motaro onaga rayden and shao khan? ( oh no shao khan is worse cause him use mk vs dc stupid outfit)

Imagine, to scorpion figthting with kung lad and say: stop fight kung lao!! i ll back home for change my armor and then i ll back to fight XD.

except mk1 mk2 and mk4, the rest is thanks to ppl like voguel, imo is not excuse this stupid amulet. Also how was posible that the characters at mk9 during the armageddon war has changed/shifted to their own future mk9 outfit, except motaro onaga rayden and shao khan? ( oh no shao khan is worse cause him use mk vs dc stupid outfit)

I don't know what you're trying to say in regards to the amulet. I told you the previous games weren't explicit on detail and something like the amulet could easily be worked into the story.

As for why characters appeared in their MK9 outfits during the Armageddon sequence... Well, you can't blame the writers for that. It was lazy cinematic design. It was easier for them to not have to create a separate model to match their Armageddon designs.

I don't know what you're trying to say in regards to the amulet. I told you the previous games weren't explicit on detail and something like the amulet could easily be worked into the story.

As for why characters appeared in their MK9 outfits during the Armageddon sequence... Well, you can't blame the writers for that. It was lazy cinematic design. It was easier for them to not have to create a separate model to match their Armageddon designs.

I mean about rayden ´s amulet, is an error. Is more credible if anybody travel to the past opening a portal for warn to rayden using telephatic messages than an invented amulet from nowhere. Are you sure that writters are not related with the new designs? cause writers explain very well stages like khan ´s colisseum, when in really khan has never had this, not a coliseum but yes an arena, and both are not exactly the same. How is posible that raiden makes that the shang tsung ´s isle have other architecture?.

How does Shinnok sending messages back in time deal with the changes to the backstories?

Last edited:
I have a feeling the whole MKD konquest mode will be retconned somehow and Shujinko will not have spent decades working for Onaga. I can't recall all the details from konquest but doesn't several characters being dead affect that story somehow, i.e. Sindel or Kabal?

I have a feeling the whole MKD konquest mode will be retconned somehow and Shujinko will not have spent decades working for Onaga. I can't recall all the details from konquest but doesn't several characters being dead affect that story somehow, i.e. Sindel or Kabal?

Explain to me how Kabal being dead prevents Shujinko from getting all of Kamidogu.

Shinnok was still alive in the original timeline. Maybe the original Shinnok send out messages to his past self similar what Raiden did which can explain why Quan Chi was in the MK1-MK3 storyline.

First, BIG thanks to [MENTION=11230]Guyver Spawn[/MENTION], for finding this vid (looks like it was just posted).

According to Ed, in the video:

"In MK X, Raiden finds himself with many of his allies dead or gone, leaving him to face Kotal Kahn; a new Emperor who has taken over Outworld."