Johnny Cage Thread - "I make this look easy!"

I just got the game yesterday and Johnny Cage is my main (always will be). This guide should be helpful, I'm going to look into it tomorrow after work. Thank you so much.

I'm not a great player. Only know two or three moves (Shadow Kick, Flip kick, and nutbreaker) and I just fight real. I had a guy stuck in the corner with Johnny today and I felt bad so I backed off because it was so easy. lol.

I just learned how to block a few hours ago. I have no idea how to dash though, lol.

Ahah, maybe with Shang's Boost. Nay, it does 52%.

(Aso, as soon as we both end exams we have to do some matches.. Still remember how you easily defeated me when I chose JC :p..)

That's for sure!
I clearly remember how good your Quan Chi is, my win against JC was luck :p
Hope we will play again soon

the johnny you faced must have suckedXD

Not really.

Her f4 knocks you about halfway across the screen.
Sheeva's floor stomp gets rid of block dashing.
Her uber-ranging uppercut stops jumpers.

And her teleport is for when he thinks a forceball will help.

I have been man-handled by a Johnny though :)

your match ups are off, DO NOT EVER pick johnny cage if your fighting noob!

and kung lao is a good match up for johnny, not to hard to beat him

your match ups are off, DO NOT EVER pick johnny cage if your fighting noob!

and kung lao is a good match up for johnny, not to hard to beat him

Again these are from MY personal experience. I easily defeat Noobs online, even against a very good Noob like RockHardMilkGun's it's a very, very close match. And maybe it's easier offline with no lag, but online Kung Lao is a very tough fight even when there's minimal lag. His punishable frames are damn near impossible to exploit.

And kudos for copying my sig idea.

Again these are from MY personal experience. I easily defeat Noobs online, even against a very good Noob like RockHardMilkGun's it's a very, very close match. And maybe it's easier offline with no lag, but online Kung Lao is a very tough fight even when there's minimal lag. His punishable frames are damn near impossible to exploit.

yeah ive beat noob saibots before with johnny but if their smart and not afraid to spam/zone noob with win everytime hes got that MC hammer.. CANT TOUCH THIS! haha

yeah ive beat noob saibots before with johnny but if their smart and not afraid to spam/zone noob with win everytime hes got that MC hammer.. CANT TOUCH THIS! haha

No you block dash and Shadow Kick when you're near them. Noob is super punishable if he misses a projectile.

I also struggle against Kung Lao as Johnny, he completely takes away his corner game. I dont see how that could be a good matchup. Noob is not hard for Johnny, because he can corner him easily.

Its opinion so no ones going to completely agree with it anyway

and i did not copy you. i copied johnny cage, he says that all the time too. its weird!

I also struggle against Kung Lao as Johnny, he completely takes away his corner game. I dont see how that could be a good matchup. Noob is not hard for Johnny, because he can corner him easily.

Its opinion so no ones going to completely agree with it anyway

dont jump. and bait their wake ups and you will win with johnny ageinst kung lao

Last edited:
Johnny Cage is a very unique character as in the sense that his combos can reset someone. His nut punch has got to be one of his strongest moves as it's enhanced version can counter x-rays, wake ups, certain special moves (Like Kung Lao's Enhanced Spin), and uppercuts.

Johnny Cage is a very unique character as in the sense that his combos can reset someone. His nut punch has got to be one of his strongest moves as it's enhanced version can counter x-rays, wake ups, certain special moves (Like Kung Lao's Enhanced Spin), and uppercuts.

Yup, yup. And personally I think it's better to use the nut punch over an uppercut sometimes.

I don't understand how 21f2, dash, 44, shadow vs flip can be used in a real game though I saw the youtube video of Tom Brady doing it at the MK tournament against Kung Lao...which was very impressive. In practice mode getting the timing to actually hit the 44 is ridiculous. I might get it 1 out of 10 times. The problem is with the dash. You have to do it at the earliest possible moment that it'll register which has to be in the order of tenths of seconds - otherwise it whiffs. Doing 21f2, shadow kick though is easy and guaranteed to hit so I don't even try it in a real match. Is there some trick you guys use to time it or is it just hours of practice. Because I think I've literally spent a couple hours alone practicing that one move and even though I'm getting a little better at timing it, I don't think I'd be able to pull it off in the heat of a fight.

Come to think of it, are there any mental tricks you guys use to get any of the long combos that you think would be helpful? For instance when you have your opponent against the wall and you do the juggle, 122222 move do you just mash 1,2222 as fast as you can before moving on to 44, flip kick? I've tried timing it by watching the screen and sometimes I get it, but button mashing the 222222 seems to work best - but even then I don't get it more than 60% of the time in practice mode.

And on a somewhat unrelated note - does anyone else have difficulty triggering the Enhanced version of moves. Especially with the energy ball it seems like even when I know I'm pushing R2, the enhanced version just seems to come out when it wants to. Very frustrating because sometimes that can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

I don't understand how 21f2, dash, 44, shadow vs flip can be used in a real game though I saw the youtube video of Tom Brady doing it at the MK tournament against Kung Lao...which was very impressive. In practice mode getting the timing to actually hit the 44 is ridiculous. I might get it 1 out of 10 times. The problem is with the dash. You have to do it at the earliest possible moment that it'll register which has to be in the order of tenths of seconds - otherwise it whiffs. Doing 21f2, shadow kick though is easy and guaranteed to hit so I don't even try it in a real match. Is there some trick you guys use to time it or is it just hours of practice. Because I think I've literally spent a couple hours alone practicing that one move and even though I'm getting a little better at timing it, I don't think I'd be able to pull it off in the heat of a fight.

Come to think of it, are there any mental tricks you guys use to get any of the long combos that you think would be helpful? For instance when you have your opponent against the wall and you do the juggle, 122222 move do you just mash 1,2222 as fast as you can before moving on to 44, flip kick? I've tried timing it by watching the screen and sometimes I get it, but button mashing the 222222 seems to work best - but even then I don't get it more than 60% of the time in practice mode.

And on a somewhat unrelated note - does anyone else have difficulty triggering the Enhanced version of moves. Especially with the energy ball it seems like even when I know I'm pushing R2, the enhanced version just seems to come out when it wants to. Very frustrating because sometimes that can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

unless your a lag master your not going to be able to do 21f2, 44,(whatever you wanna do out of it) online unless there is no lag at all. i could do it offline all day but cant get it for my life online

unless your a lag master your not going to be able to do 21f2, 44,(whatever you wanna do out of it) online unless there is no lag at all. i could do it offline all day but cant get it for my life online

I do jf1, 21f2, dash 44, bf4 all the time online and offline and I almost never miss.
You just have to try it in practice mode again, and again, and again, and again till you're able to hit with 44 at least 4/5 times.
After using it in many games it will become natural, and you will be able to do that even with lag ;)

I never try to hit the opponent more than 4 times with 2, because I often miss the 5 hit and lose the opportunity to do a lot of damage...maybe I should just train harder :/

Last edited:
I do jf1, 21f2, dash 44, bf4 all the time online and offline and I almost never miss.
You just have to try it in practice mode again, and again, and again, and again till you're able to hit with 44 at least 4/5 times.
After using it in many games it will become natural, and you will be able to do that even with lag ;)

well doing anything in lag makes you a lag master. i cant even block in lag

I don't know. It kind of irritates me that some of the combos are so difficult to learn. I don't want to devote my life to learning how to do 44. Making it all about the buttons takes away from the game I think.