A Select Screen Idea

I like this Select Screen that MKX has going on. The animation is just a little something that makes the game beautiful!

What I would like to add to it or for futures games. Kinda like the game dialogues, Depending on who you choose and who your opponent will be there could be a different animation.

Ex:
-Kano vs Cassie- Cassie pulls out her gun and s it; Kano blast his Laser several time in the air
-Kano vs K. Kahn- Kano takes out his knifes and twirls them; Kotal takes his knife and cuts his hand
-Kano vs Raiden- Kano gives the sign of Death; Raiden creates a lightening ball

Just some ideas!

MK9's select screen was garbage.
Shitty music, background and portraits.

MKX's I actually really like. And I imagine that it is exactly like Injustice. Where the background of the select screen matches the background of the randomly selected stage. They probably just haven't implemented the random part yet, so it's always stuck on Snow Forest.

yes that music was trash!. I hope the music for the current select screen is actually the music in the start of the reveal videos.. It may be a hiphop beat but it still sounds badass

Remember Deceptions select screen? It would show their alternate costume plus that music?! Soooooo good.

I think MKX's finally beats that one as the best select screen.

yup, deception had the best music. It had such a dark sound to it. MKX def beats that one, but will it beat deception's main menu?

Honestly, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw MKX's select screen.
The two select screens look very similar, maybe Deception's was used as inspiration?

View attachment 6975
View attachment 6976

Thanks for posting a screencap of both together like this
Now looking at both like this... i think they definitely used the Deception select screen as a reference or at least something to fall back on while working on it... they are very similar.
It's definitely an improvement and the MKX select screen feels a lot more well structured and organised.
The more i look at it the more i like it. Soooo damn Gritty!

For MKX I'm assuming the are just hovering over the displayed characters and the one's for Deception have been selected? (been a while since i played Deception lol)

Yeah no problem, I actually tried to post it yesterday but I couldn't upload pictures for some reason.
Anyway, I completely agree...I have no idea why anybody would complain about this select screen.
Ed Boon also said in one of the earlier interviews that the little character icons haven't been "fit into place" yet.
So in the final version it'll look even more like Decpetion's...And possibly leave more room for DLC and stuff.

I'm not sure if the Deception picture I picked was even in game.
Been a while for me too.

I was looking at the select screen in the gameplay videos, and I realized it would be cool if it was darker in the back, so when you select a character, it would emerge from shadows, and it would also eliminate that illusion that the unselected character is much smaller than the selected one.

The characters DO emerge from the shadow, as is evident in all the MKX trailers where they show the characters being selected and walking forward.

For example, Quan Chi is selected and walks forward, as does Kano when he's selected and walks forward doing the throat slit motion.
When they are next to each other and the players are going through which variation to pick, you can see that they're the same size.

The only characters that have notable size differences are Kotal Kahn (because he looks slighty taller than most of the roster, thus far), Ferra Torr (because Torr is a huge monstrosity of a being) and D'Vorah (because she is MUCH smaller than the monstrous Ferra Torr or taller Kotal Kahn).

The only thing it shows me is that not every character is a walking pair of tits or Mr. Universe in MKX, as was the case in MK9.
The characters actually have proportion to them and have different body sizes.

The only characters that have notable size differences are Kotal Kahn (because he looks slighty taller than most of the roster, thus far), Ferra Torr (because Torr is a huge monstrosity of a being) and D'Vorah (because she is MUCH smaller than the monstrous Ferra Torr or taller Kotal Kahn).
You haven't seen the recent footage of Quan Chi vs. Cassie? Either Cassie is extremely small or Quan Chi is extremely tall, or both.

You haven't seen the recent footage of Quan Chi vs. Cassie? Either Cassie is extremely small or Quan Chi is extremely tall, or both.

It's probably just a glitch.
Cassie is a little bit shorter than Sub-Zero, and Sub-Zero's the same height as Kano, who is the same height as Quan Chi.

Either Cassie is extremely small or Quan Chi is extremely tall, or both.

People seem to not take in the angle at which the TV is facing whoever recorded the video into account.

The person filming is way to the right of the TV screen and you can tell the left side of the screen is further away and therefore anything on that side of the screen is going to be dwarfed by the things appearing on the right. Just look at the Select Screen portraits if you don't believe me.

It's called Perspective:

people_perspective_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm picking up of the Deception select screen influence as well. I'd prefer that the final version stacks the character a bit more instead of the wide double layer. If not, I won't lose any sleep so its fine.

Hopefully the character's costumes actually change in the select screen when you scroll over the alternates. That would be a nice touch and I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.

If they remix MK3 character select screen to todays standards it would be aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome for MKX, MK 3 character select screen was awesome :O Dark but fast paced

I think the Select screen would be amazing if they was more animation involved.

Examples i have:
You pick the characters picture profile and then depending on the characters personality/abilities thats how they appear on screen once they are selected.

-Cassie Cage- She arms herself when selected. Loading her guns, checking her baton and most importantly putting her earphones one before turning and facing the screen.

-D'Vorah- Once selected, she flies in on the screen with many other bugs. She opens up her stomach and the bugs fly in there.

-Ferra/Torr- Once selected, the screen beings to shake as Ferra/Torr walk onto screen

-Goro- Once selected, he is in partial shadow. His arms crossed. leans forward and uncrosses his arms and points at the Player.

-Kano- Once selected, Kano's eye comes closer onto the screen coming out of the Darkness while he is playing with his knife(s)

-Kotal Kahn- Once selected, Kotal is seen with a knife as he thrust it down and Blood gushes on his face, Kotal then smirks.

-Quan Chi- Once selected, A portal opens up in the background with a few hands reaching out. Quan Chi then appears with evil intent

-Raiden- Once selected, Lightening strikes several before Raiden appears with lightening cracking around his body.

-Scorpion- Once selcted, Hellfire blazes up from the select screen. His Spear comes comes out and Scorpion pops up engulfed in Helfire.

-Sub Zero- Once selecgted, A fog appears on the screen and from it an ice statue appears and shatters as Sub Zero comes forths

Granted i know this would most likely never happen bc of the cost to be so in depth just for a Select Screen

Last edited: